• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll done mess up and push Slayven over the edge. Fresh out of the hyperbolic time chamber. Slay about hit ya'll with a month charge of a spirit bomb and that ol faithful Kamehameha Wave.

BwIJU8NCIAEQg2g.jpg:small

lmao, Slay on that SSJ shit.

RedSwirl

"Trapped inside of every white girl is a strong black woman ready to bust out."

Apparently Lifetime has a new show called Girlfriend Intervention which is basically Queer Eye for the Straight guy except it's four black women giving a makeover to a white woman.

I'm all for promoting the beauty and strength inherent in black women, but from what I've read about this show and the clips I've seen it really seems over the top reinforcing of stereotypes while completely glossing over underlying racial issues. Maybe it's just meant to be fun and so ridiculous that it is laughable? What do you guys & girls think?

Clips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0c2GQWBdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F27E2HwYoZA

Is this another one of those comedy shows that tries to portray the "other" as superior to the default in somewhat stereotypical ways?

First you ain't like Bone Thugs, now you don't like booty meat.

Bruh

Who the fuck don't like Bone Thugs?!

Kreed

It's a weird situation. The prime example is Denzel Washington. In the Pelican Brief novel, the two leads get together. In the Pelican Brief movie, this doesn't happen because the leads are Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts. Denzel never has sex in the movie if his opposite is a white woman. The supposed reason is that if he had a romance with a white woman on film, his main audience, black women, would have a fit. Yes, this time the blame is placed on black women, not white Hollywood. And most black male leads over the age of 30 have followed the Denzel example, except for when the black/white relationship is the point (Jungle Fever).

Otherwise, white writers creating white films with white directors and white producers for a white audience lead to white leads, with women of color providing "spicy", "exotic" romance when white women become boring.

This was the actual quote attributed to Denzel for why he didn't have a love scene in Pelican Brief:

Black women are not often seen as objects of desire on film. And they have always been my core audience.

Not sure where "black women would get upset" came from (I heard that reason before too) other than people just implying it.

Denzel did "break" this rule with the movie Flight though.

Is this another one of those comedy shows that tries to portray the "other" as superior to the default in somewhat stereotypical ways?
!

yep, and it bothers me that it has it's own tv show.

but then again, honey boo boo has her own tv show, but then again honey boo boo doesn't have race relations sidelined next to it.

Jackie Brown with Pam Grier and Robert Forster is interesting and worth looking at as well, especially considering Tarantino changed the main character from a white woman in the books to Pam Grier. Pretty excellent stuff. Goddamn I loved that movie.

It's pretty obvious that Tarantino has a crush on Pam Grier, which may or may not be a factor.

Oh, an example of white lead/asexual minority sidekick: Showdown in Little Toyko. Not only does Dolph Lundgren out-Asian Brandon Lee, Brandon Lee utters the infamous words: "Kenner, just in case we get killed, I wanted to tell you, you have the biggest dick I've ever seen on a man."

C'mon, son!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty obvious that Tarantino has a crush on Pam Grier, which may or may not be a factor.

Oh, an example of white lead/asexual minority sidekick: Showdown in Little Toyko. Not only does Dolph Lundgren out-Asian Brandon Lee, Brandon Lee utters the infamous words: "Kenner, just in case we get killed, I wanted to tell you, you have the biggest dick I've ever seen on a man."

C'mon, son!

yeah, but that's Lundgren.............he's pretty goddamned special

Slayven

Damn Sonic fans. they swear the most non-funny shit is hilarious. "Got to go fast" yuck, yuck. Shit wasn't amusing when Sonic was relevant.

KumaJG

I love new sneaker smell. I still got a pair of j's I bought in 05 that I haven't worn yet. I put them in a plastic wrap to keep that fresh sneaker smell.

akira28

I was on the verge of trying evaporated milk with cereal when I was a youngin....I was weird.

it's been done. so has water. the struggle was real.
grandma was a farmer from old South Carolina. no milk? "just go ahead and use water baby" practical as fuck.

That not you right?
Thankfully no, whoever it is im hoping they are lazy and didnt was the dishes. You can get a 3pack of bowls from dollar tree for like 75 cents
it's been done. so has water. the struggle was real.
grandma was a farmer from old South Carolina. no milk? "just go ahead and use water baby" practical as fuck.
Tried the water trick one time, never again its not the same dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom