• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dluu13

Since when you don't have to go to the goddamn states.

In Coasta Rica right now. No goddamn taking shoes off in the airport. Bunch of bullshit security theatre in my opinion.

Nice 34 here right now and sunny.

Yeah, I got sunburnt... :/

I never need to take off my shoes in the airport in Vancouver either. Come to think of it, I don't do it at Pearson either.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Hey guys,

Moving to Toronto for school this fall and I have an apartment in Scarborough (around Vic Park).

Any idea on the best internet providers? Or any general advice aha.
Go to Johnny's Hamburgers on VP just south of Sheppard, especially if you like onion rings.
myLF1Ib.jpg

I'm thinking of going there for lunch tomorrow since I only work until 12:30pm on Fridays.

Willectro

Banned
I dunno bout EM, but I'd vote for the Communist party right now if i knew it would get Harper out.

I mean, I'd love an NDP win, but it's likely I'll be voting Liberal because they have a far better chance of winning my riding. Not like the Liberals have exactly been winning me over at any level of government, but it's better than what we have.

That's why I'm still wondering about the polls, because I feel like the race is Liberal vs. NDP, but I guess some people still like Harper? Shocking.

dluu13

The student union sells the student version of the metropasses. Show up with your T card to whichever campus sells them (like the place outside Hart House).

I kind of wish UofT had the upass like all the colleges near Vancouver. It's a no opt-out $35 per month pass that takes you pretty much anywhere Translink goes. That being said, because I live downtown, I haven't had a need to actually take transit much.

The student union sells the student version of the metropasses. Show up with your T card to whichever campus sells them (like the place outside Hart House).

TTC sells them for 110, and it looks like the union sells them for 112.

Are they virtually the same thing?

Blackhead

Redarse
TTC sells them for 110, and it looks like the union sells them for 112.

Are they virtually the same thing?

Same thing. TTC sells it for 112. I think you also need to pick up a post secondary student id for like $10 if any conductor wants to confirm you're eligible for the pass.

zroid

Banned
Go to Johnny's Hamburgers on VP just south of Sheppard, especially if you like onion rings.

I'm thinking of going there for lunch tomorrow since I only work until 12:30pm on Fridays.

now I wanna go too... it's been a while

I think I'm actually going to be passing by around there tomorrow afternoon, so it's doable

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone heading to the Pokemon: Symphonic Evolutions concert tonight? I'll be there. Curious how it is compared to Zelda. I hope the memorabilia they have for sale is a bit better..

Quadratic

Man, I wonder if their prices went up. It's a pain to park at since the Shoppers Drugmart moved in next door.

Senator O'Connor? Victoria Park? Wexford? I went to high school in the area too.

VP and Lawrence isn't a bad area. I'm pretty familiar with it. Victoria Terrece isn't great as far as "malls" go but you have a No Frills right there. There's also three different Metros and another No Frills about 10 minutes away by bus. Oh, and a McEwan's but that is very pricey. Shopping wise you have Shops at Don Mills (has some pricey stores), Parkway Mall (which I haven't been to in years) and Eglinton Square, all about 10-15 minutes by bus. In between Pharmacy and Eglinton and Warden and Eglinton you have a bunch of stores: a massive Walmart, Canadian Tire, Old Navy, Best Buy, Home Outfitters, Eb Games and more that I'm forgetting.
Vic Park and Lawrence is getting rough, it's not the same neighborhood it once was. The 404 is basically a sharp divide between quality neighborhoods and ones that are getting a bit sketchy.

Vic Park and Lawrence is getting rough, it's not the same neighborhood it once was. The 404 is basically a sharp divide between quality neighborhoods and ones that are getting a bit sketchy.

Not nice to hear :(

My Dad has been living there for the past 4 months or so and hasn't had any problems or noticed anything, though.

zroid

Banned
the line to fill up gas at Costco is freaking ridiculous

probably at least 20 minutes when I went there. I just bailed. Only had a half tank empty anyway.

Alright, need some more advice :S

So I'm thinking about Teksavvy, but their modem is 120$. I'm going for the DSL 10mbps plan, should I look into buying my own modem?

No idea what to look for.

dluu13

So I'm thinking about Teksavvy, but their modem is 120$. I'm going for the DSL 10mbps plan, should I look into buying my own modem?

Somebody correct me if I say anything wrong.

I'm not too familiar with modems since I usually only buy the router myself, but you might be able to talk to Teksavvy to ask what modems are compatible with their service. I see that computer stores such as NCIX do stock modems, so hopefully you'll find something that works. In my experience, the Teksavvy customer service reps are quite nice and knowledgeable but the wait times are really long. Live chat service is usually faster, but it's not always available.

One thing to be careful about is making sure that the modem has wifi/router capability if you need that and you don't plan to buy a separate router. I actually ended up buying the modem/router combo (SmartRG) from Teksavvy.

And to reiterate, make sure you get something that they explicitly say is compatible, or else you might be on your own if your connection doesn't work when they try to set it up.

Somebody correct me if I say anything wrong.

I'm not too familiar with modems since I usually only buy the router myself, but you might be able to talk to Teksavvy to ask what modems are compatible with their service. I see that computer stores such as NCIX do stock modems, so hopefully you'll find something that works. In my experience, the Teksavvy customer service reps are quite nice and knowledgeable but the wait times are really long. Live chat service is usually faster, but it's not always available.

One thing to be careful about is making sure that the modem has wifi/router capability if you need that and you don't plan to buy a separate router. I actually ended up buying the modem/router combo (SmartRG) from Teksavvy.

And to reiterate, make sure you get something that they explicitly say is compatible, or else you might be on your own if your connection doesn't work when they try to set it up.
Thank you so much for the advice :)

I was on the phone with them earlier and the modem part was the only thing I was unsure of. I might just bite the bullet for simplicity's sake, but I vaguely remember a friend of mine saying there are cheaper alternatives in buying your own.

Azih

Well they have a list of supported modems on their site I believe. You could shop around. But it's easier to just buy from them.

ahdurian

have a wedding to go to tomorrow
is it weird if I don't wear a tie? is it "socially acceptable"?
i hate wearing them in general, and tomorrow seems to be pretty hot.

krae_man

Also keep in mind their is a discount for doing both the hookup and modem. The $200 upfront cost is the trade off for not having to spend $100/month on internet.

Also 10 is kind of crappy. Spend the extra $5 or $10 and get 15 or 25.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The 'bad neighbourhoods' are pretty tame compared to a lot of people coming from cities in the States. In Toronto much of it seems directly linked to time of day. I don't mind walking around Kensington Market / Alexandra Park in the middle of the day, but if you're out after one in the morning, no fucking thank you. I can't speak directly to Victoria Park and Lawrence though.

Quick

Banned
have a wedding to go to tomorrow
is it weird if I don't wear a tie? is it "socially acceptable"?
i hate wearing them in general, and tomorrow seems to be pretty hot.

Probably too late, but:

You could wear the tie at the ceremony and take it off during the reception.

Also keep in mind their is a discount for doing both the hookup and modem. The $200 upfront cost is the trade off for not having to spend $100/month on internet.

Also 10 is kind of crappy. Spend the extra $5 or $10 and get 15 or 25.

Yeah, the discount lasts for a few more days so I'm gonna jump on it asap.

And I know :(, but 10mbps is the fastest thing available in my area apparently.

Top Bottom