• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

I haven't checked in a while, but at the time, they sold the best modem available for the DSL "Fibe" reselling service. They were forced to resell/rent out the Bell modems previously.

Also, I don't know if they changed this, but you save money if you order online via their website or through DSLReports. I wish I knew this at the time, but it's like 30 dollars or something if you order through phone.

I saved 25$ from some kind of promotion they had going on.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
In all seriousness, I thought we lucked out in having a Fan Expo weekend where it isn't hot a humid and sweaty and all that all packed into a convention center. But then it LITERALLY got hot overnight again.
You're #teamwinter ?! D:

I hope some weeabo sweats in you! >=[

This weather is amazing. I can finally lose the sweater I had to wear last week.

Also, anyone have any experience with the official FanExpo after parties? Do nerdy girls even go? Am I better off going out somewhere else?

Sober

You are better off going to a post Fan Expo TO GAF meetup. It'll still be a sausage fest but it won't smell terrible.

You're #teamwinter ?! D:

I hope some weeabo sweats in you! >=[

Oh no no no I just prefer my indoor conventions sweat and smelly free. It's part of why I like Anime North. At some point you HAVE to go outside and air yourself out along with the other nerds. At Fan Expo? Nope. It kind just condenses with all the other nerds

How can I hate summer I'm BBQing a steak just for myself right now

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You are better off going to a post Fan Expo TO GAF meetup. It'll still be a sausage fest but it won't smell terrible.
Lol OMG. We had...like...2 girls. Including the waitress... :/
Oh no no no I just prefer my indoor conventions sweat and smelly free. It's part of why I like Anime North. At some point you HAVE to go outside and air yourself out along with the other nerds. At Fan Expo? Nope. It kind just condenses with all the other nerds

How can I hate summer I'm BBQing a steak just for myself right now
Last day of Aug :'(
Summer BBQ :'(

Inside it should be air conditioned though I can say cold BO is only slightly better than warm BO.

Kraftwerk

Got on the streetcar to Spadina, and didn't ask for a transfer since I was going into the subway which is the last stop.

Get off at Spadina station and as soon as I got off the car there were ttc cops waiting and asking everyone for proof of payment.

I told him I didn't have one, since I didn't need one.... And he goes "I don't care, either show it or go stand in the other line and get a $200 ticket".

Now, I might sound like a douche in this next part, but he pissed me off so much that I pulled out my wallet and just went "do you want the $3? I can pay either cash or here, with my gold card" and you could see him turn red and get angry. The people standing next to me chuckled a little.

I just stood there and dug deep in my pocket and pulled out some coins and told him " actually , here. I have $3 in chsnge"

He looked at his buddy cop and then went "you know what, just go"

Now, I always respect cops and whatnot, but this guy was so rude and didn't care or listened to what anyone else had to day. This system just pisses me off and seeing this other cop on the other line just handing out $200 tickets to people . Like me who didn't bother to grab a transfer.

Seriously, fuck the ttc.

ahdurian

Got on the streetcar to Spadina, and didn't ask for a transfer since I was going into the subway which is the last stop.

Get off at Spadina station and as soon as I got off the car there were ttc cops waiting and asking everyone for proof of payment.

I told him I didn't have one, since I didn't need one.... And he goes "I don't care, either show it or go stand in the other line and get a $200 ticket".

Now, I might sound like a douche in this next part, but he pissed me off so much that I pulled out my wallet and just went "do you want the $3? I can pay either cash or here, with my gold card" and you could see him turn red and get angry. The people standing next to me chuckled a little.

I just stood there and dug deep in my pocket and pulled out some coins and told him " actually , here. I have $3 in chsnge"

Now, I always respect cops and whatnot, but this guy was so rude and didn't care or listened to what anyone else had to day. This system just pisses me off and seeing this other cop on the other line just handing out $200 tickets to people . Like me who didn't bother to grab a transfer.

Seriously, fuck the ttc.

i think their new policy is you "have" to grab a transfer, even if you don't need it.

but yeah, it's BS

TTC seriously has the worst support infrastructure of any transportation system I've ever used. The actual service itself isn't SO bad and I generally find it to be reliable enough for my needs but everything supporting the service is awful.

Tokens: my god, what the fuck are these things and why did anyone think it was a good idea for any transportation system to use its own self-made currency in 2015?

Day passes: these scratch n win lottery tickets are straight up embarrassing.

Payment methods: no way to buy tokens from machines at some stations, no way to pay with credit cards at the machines, tap and pay is disabled at credit card terminals that clearly support them. are you kidding me? it's no wonder why you see 15 person lineups at the attendant booth at every station. Pretty much every city I've ever visited has automated ticket machines that let you buy passes with your credit card. WHY force people to the attendant booths?

Street car/bus paper slip transfers: Jesus, I haven't seen these things since 1995 when they became outdated in Vancouver.

Transfer tickets at subways: just terrible. Not a single person taking transit for the first time knows what these things are and nobody takes them until they get screwed over.

Subway Wifi: This is a pet peeve of mine but putting these at JUST the station is almost useless. Maybe it's just me but wouldn't it stand to reason that people who are browsing the web on their phone and thus distracted would be less annoyed by TTC delays and stoppages? In Hong Kong, you get full cellular and wifi(?) for the entirety of the subway. It's such a huge annoyance traveling through the subway with NO cellular/data for something like 80% of the subway line.

I guess Presto should solve most of these issues but it's shameful that they went this long with such an outdated system.

explodet

It's not some kind of weird throwback, it's just a plain old regular throwback.

I've used this TTC system for my entire life and it hasn't significantly changed.
And that's the problem - I'm almost four decades old, and the system is even OLDER.

dluu13

Seriously, fuck the ttc.

The worst is when the drivers don't even give you a transfer until you explicitly ask for one. In Vancouver, the transfers for everything are automatically dispensed after you pay as proof of payment.

isny

napkin dispenser
Lol OMG. We had...like...2 girls. Including the waitress... :/

Last day of Aug :'(
Summer BBQ :'(

Inside it should be air conditioned though I can say cold BO is only slightly better than warm BO.

Well no one's really given me any indication that they're interested in coming, so I'm not sure I'm going to bother coming and or trying to put together a meetup if there's little to no interest.

TTC seriously has the worst support infrastructure of any transportation system I've ever used. The actual service itself isn't SO bad and I generally find it to be reliable enough for my needs but everything supporting the service is awful.

Tokens: my god, what the fuck are these things and why did anyone think it was a good idea for any transportation system to use its own self-made currency in 2015?

Payment methods: no way to buy tokens from machines at some stations, no way to pay with credit cards at the machines, tap and pay is disabled at credit card terminals that clearly support them. are you kidding me? it's no wonder why you see 15 person lineups at the attendant booth at every station. Pretty much every city I've ever visited has automated ticket machines that let you buy passes with your credit card. WHY force people to the attendant booths?

Street car/bus paper slip transfers: Jesus, I haven't seen these things since 1995 when they became outdated in Vancouver.

Transfer tickets at subways: just terrible. Not a single person taking transit for the first time knows what these things are and nobody takes them until they get screwed over.

Subway Wifi: This is a pet peeve of mine but putting these at JUST the station is almost useless. Maybe it's just me but wouldn't it stand to reason that people who are browsing the web on their phone and thus distracted would be less annoyed by TTC delays and stoppages? In Hong Kong, you get full cellular and wifi(?) for the entirety of the subway. It's such a huge annoyance traveling through the subway with NO cellular/data for something like 80% of the subway line.

I guess Presto should solve most of these issues but it's shameful that they went this long with such an outdated system.

London's Tube didn't have full wi-fi when I was there in 2012 either, in the TTC's defence lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The worst is when the drivers don't even give you a transfer until you explicitly ask for one. In Vancouver, the transfers for everything are automatically dispensed after you pay as proof of payment.

Bingo. With basically all routes being POP now, they should hand you a transfer no questions asked. If someone, maybe a long time rider not use to them, waves it off, the driver should be instructed to tell them why they need it.

We had friends in a similar situation as Kraft, but thankfully, the driver was good enough to give the handful of people that didn't get a transfer on boarding, a transfer at the station.

So much of the system is in place to keep jobs. ie; Booth collector. Of course, once they move past that into an automated system, they are keeping them their as information people.. despite many booth collectors being some of the worst customer service people I've encountered.

TTC drags their feet on many upgrades as well. They literally have to been threatened with court to change things like audio calls for bus and subway stops. They were the last adopters of PRESTO basically. It'll take them another two decades to make all the stations accessible because they delayed for so long. On and on it goes. The one positive we have right now is Andy Byford being in charge (but for how long..) as he actually knows what he's doing and speaks bluntly about the situation.

Bingo. With basically all routes being POP now, they should hand you a transfer no questions asked. If someone, maybe a long time rider not use to them, waves it off, the driver should be instructed to tell them why they need it.
I had a driver do this to me. I waved it off, then he shouted that it's mandatory to take one. I then read the posters at the stops saying it was mandatory and I didn't think he was rude anymore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I had a driver do this to me. I waved it off, then he shouted that it's mandatory to take one. I then read the posters at the stops saying it was mandatory and I didn't think he was rude anymore.

Good to hear. Drivers never use to do it on the 501, which has been POP for years. Glad a few get it, at least.

Willectro

Banned

Not sure if you have used Presto, but it's a giant turd too. It's almost like it was developed completely in a silo and without any thought about ease of use. Reloading online takes up to 24 hours to be added to the card, but don't worry the system allows you to setup automatic transfers (no fucking thanks). I can be standing in line at Starbucks and reload my card via the app and the funds are instantly available to pay. Presto feels like the primary consideration was government interests and not that of users. Very shortsighted.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's too late to go back on PRESTO now to a system that was already developed (and better), so here we are. Even the busted PRESTO will be better than scratch off daily passes and tokens, but they definitely need to fix the reloading issues. I wish they were more clear with the role out too. I'd love to know when my local station is getting the PRESTO readers, so I can switch over to using it as my primary means of travel.

Willectro

Banned
It's too late to go back on PRESTO now to a system that was already developed (and better), so here we are. Even the busted PRESTO will be better than scratch off daily passes and tokens, but they definitely need to fix the reloading issues. I wish they were more clear with the role out too. I'd love to know when my local station is getting the PRESTO readers, so I can switch over to using it as my primary means of travel.

Yea. Even then, I haven't seen anything too exciting with respect to fares. Would be neat if they had cheaper rates at specific times using Presto, etc. They need to motivate people to use the card outside of "hey we have a card now, tap it places".

dluu13

What's POP?

Also, is Presto supposed to be a region-wide supported fare/transfer system once it finishes rolling out?

Seriously, fuck the ttc.

Yeah, this shit is getting stupid.

A friend and I got on one of those new TTC Streetcars that was packed to the gills. He was going to pay fare the old fashioned way but there was no way to do it and he couldn't reach one of the automated machines due to the crowd. Luckily he was not caught.

They really need to sort out this bullshit system so that it's uniform and makes sense.

I was living in Chile the past year and a half and it is crazy how much better their public transit is. Wifi in most stations, mobile phones work underground while riding (how is this done actually I am curious to know how there is no loss of signal?) and the best things are:

- All digital. No cash fares. Everyone is on the Presto (called BIP) there.

- Can top-up the card at almost any store. If the store accepts credit, debit or whatever, then you can top-up the card there using those interac portable machines. I believe Presto can only be topped up online (and takes 24 hours to credit last time I used it) or at transit terminals. This is the biggest positive for me as it is so easy to charge a card in the midddle of nowhere near a terminal or access to internet. This also goes for paying bills, or topping up your prepaid phone. It can all be done like that.

- Also maybe a negative to some but I like the way they charge based on peak hours. 8am to 9:59am peak is more than if you use the metro at 10:00am to 1:59pm or whatever. It is only about a 20 cent difference but I loved it when I worked afternoons and was travelling off-peak times.

There are a lot more great things there but these are just some I remember.

dluu13

I was living in Chile the past year and a half and it is crazy how much better their public transit is. Wifi in most stations, mobile phones work underground while riding (how is this done actually I am curious to know how there is no loss of signal?) and the best things are:

- All digital. No cash fares. Everyone is on the Presto (called BIP) there.

- Can top-up the card at almost any store. If the store accepts credit, debit or whatever, then you can top-up the card there using those interac portable machines. I believe Presto can only be topped up online (and takes 24 hours to credit last time I used it) or at transit terminals. This is the biggest positive for me as it is so easy to charge a card in the midddle of nowhere near a terminal or access to internet. This also goes for paying bills, or topping up your prepaid phone. It can all be done like that.

- Also maybe a negative to some but I like the way they charge based on peak hours. 8am to 9:59am peak is more than if you use the metro at 10:00am to 1:59pm or whatever. It is only about a 20 cent difference but I loved it when I worked afternoons and was travelling off-peak times.

There are a lot more great things there but these are just some I remember.

Lots of places charge based on peak hours. In Brisbane, they would charge less early morning and in the evening. In Vancouver, when traveling out of the central core of the system (Zone 1), you don't need to add fares to get to Zone 2 or 3 off peak hours/weekends. I think it's a good way to encourage people to take transit to go out for fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Wasn't considering going until I heard this.
I'm a pretty big Sonybot but I'm not convinced the Morpheus will do well with nobody backing it. Move 2.0 is the vibe I get. I'm not sure if they have any games for it, maybe just games with the feature tacked on and a bunch of demos.

I'm more excited for the other VR peripherals cause I'm hoping PC = more people making stuff for it.

I got a deluxe pass with friends because we all have too much disposable income and we have nothing better to do this weekend

We get in 2 hours early on Thursday. I am RUNNING to the Morpheus booth when the con opens. Followed by Rise of the Tomb Raider afterward since that's the only XBOne game coming out this Fall I haven't played early yet

If I get in early before anyone uses it, there'll be a smaller chance of getting an eye infection

krae_man

I'm a pretty big Sonybot but I'm not convinced the Morpheus will do well with nobody backing it. Move 2.0 is the vibe I get. I'm not sure if they have any games for it, maybe just games with the feature tacked on and a bunch of demos.

I'm more excited for the other VR peripherals cause I'm hoping PC = more people making stuff for it.

I think none of them will be commercially successful. I can see Oculus and maybe Vive carving out an educational or theme park niche but millions of units sold to the public is never going to happen.

Sony is dumb enough to release it commercially anyway(see PlayStation TV), so I'd say that one has the best chance of getting released, but the worst at being successful in any way.

Willectro

Banned
Yeah, this shit is getting stupid.

A friend and I got on one of those new TTC Streetcars that was packed to the gills. He was going to pay fare the old fashioned way but there was no way to do it and he couldn't reach one of the automated machines due to the crowd. Luckily he was not caught.

They really need to sort out this bullshit system so that it's uniform and makes sense.

That's gonna happen.

nHLSlFK.gif

Roto13

I think none of them will be commercially successful. I can see Oculus and maybe Vive carving out an educational or theme park niche but millions of units sold to the public is never going to happen.

Sony is dumb enough to release it commercially anyway(see PlayStation TV), so I'd say that one has the best chance of getting released, but the worst at being successful in any way.

I think Oculus is going to do well among hardcore fans at first, who will do what they can to expose as many people as possible to it because that's what enthusiasts do, and by the time the average person has a more powerful PC and maybe the next version of the Oculus is less demanding, it'll be ready to go mainstream.

I get the feeling Morpheus just won't be all that impressive, being limited by the PS4.

Anth0ny

Going to Fanexpo for the first time this thursday. Should be good. I really just want to try morpheus though.

prepare for lines. loooooooooooooooooooooong lines.

I've been to fan expo 4 times now and I think I'm good. it's pretty awesome the first couple of times but feels samey after a while.

Top Bottom