• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Mhee123

Neo Member

Magnus

Didn't think Rachet and Clank would be there yet. DAMN!
I would go to Fan expo if I had friends....or undying hatred of giving money to Hobbystar.

Hobby star is no more. Either bought by or replaced by Informa, a new company. Shit seemed smooth today. Shit seemed smooth last year too. Lots of complaining. Not so bad at the show itself. But turn, I've been an exhibitor the last 3 years and got in early today, so I guess I don't know what the true fan only experience is like these days. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hobby star is no more. Either bought by or replaced by Informa, a new company. Shit seemed smooth today. Shit seemed smooth last year too. Lots of complaining. Not so bad at the show itself. But turn, I've been an exhibitor the last 3 years and got in early today, so I guess I don't know what the true fan only experience is like these days. :)
Oh really? Do they still do that smaller con in the winter then?

VR was dissapointing, but still awesome at the same time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106741

Need to try...... HTC Vive now.

Were you that dude in the Morpheus booth as soon as they let in deluxe pass owners? I swear I saw a guy on Neogaf on his phone there but I wasn't really sure since I was a few people back.

Fan Expo basically got better as soon as they booked the whole convention center instead of just the one of the two buildings. I wish they used the North building for... More though. It still feels like they're jamming people into the South building, but at the very least all the celebrity autographs that create huge ass lines are in the North building now. Not sure what Informa did (they're apparently based in London in the UK), but so far they haven't fucked up completely yet I guess. The past two years I've enjoyed Fan Expo more than the 5 years I've been before.

I also still really like how huge artist alley is.

Quick

Banned
I was at Fan Expo earlier. I just walked around and checked everything out. I'm gonna check out panels tomorrow.

I got MGSV for $65 instead of $75 at the EB Games area. Anyone looking into getting MGSV at a discount should check there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was at Fan Expo earlier. I just walked around and checked everything out. I'm gonna check out panels tomorrow.

I got MGSV for $65 instead of $75 at the EB Games area. Anyone looking into getting MGSV at a discount should check there.
:/ or I can sell my unopened one for $50 PS4 version.

I gave up and got the PC one instead.

How is it so far? I haven't been in years and don't expect there will be much draw for me.

N° 2048

Best thing I got from Fan Expo.

Sorry for blurry pic,
1MlTOUo.jpg

Quick

Banned
:/ or I can sell my unopened one for $50 PS4 version.

I gave up and got the PC one instead.

How is it so far? I haven't been in years and don't expect there will be much draw for me.

I wasn't keen on getting MGSV initially, so I didn't pre-order via Amazon or elsewhere for cheaper, but since playing MGS3, I was sold on it.

And today wasn't bad, actually. Sizable crowd, but it was very organized from my experience. It's on the north and south building of the MTCC like last year, so there's plenty of space to spread everything out. Tomorrow should be the real test.

The game demos this year are pretty great, too. Uncharted Collection is beautiful, so is Star Wars Battlefront. Cuphead looks cool too. Project Morpheus is also there all weekend. I might try it out.

Playstation isn't giving away free PS+ codes as far as I know, but my new hustle is Cineplex's booth with the spinning wheel of prizes for either free tickets, 2-for-1 passes, free popcorn, or poster.

Got my deluxe pass (cheaper than buying individual day tickets), so I'm all set.

Best thing I got from Fan Expo.

Sorry for blurry pic,

Artist alley purchase I'm assuming? I checked out half of it earlier, I'll look through again tomorrow.

Quick

Banned
Are there exhibits in Fan Expo that you don't need to pay for, or do you need tickets just to get in?

You need tickets to get in. Once you're in, almost everything is open for you to check out. The Doctor Who and Harry Potter panels have to be paid separately on top of having admission to Fan Expo.

dluu13

You need tickets to get in. Once you're in, almost everything is open for you to check out. The Doctor Who and Harry Potter panels have to be paid separately on top of having admission to Fan Expo.

Ah, darn it's like $45 for Sunday. It looks really cool, but that's a bit expensive.

Jashobeam

any chance of getting last minute tickets if you go on saturday? Last time I went (2012) the line up was crazy and you weren't guaranteed to get in.

Quick

Banned
any chance of getting last minute tickets if you go on saturday? Last time I went (2012) the line up was crazy and you weren't guaranteed to get in.

Tickets are still on sale I think. You should be fine. It opens at 10, so it's better to go earlier than later.

Artist alley purchase I'm assuming? I checked out half of it earlier, I'll look through again tomorrow.

Artist alley is usually better to go through on Sunday. Some vendors try to clear stock so they put prints and such on sale at good prices. But damn there is some good stuff in there.

So far I only got some manga and two prints (one is VERY large) plus buttons.

Magnus

Aside from the one nightmare year, it's all been generally ok. This year and last year (informa-run instead of hobbystar) has been down right right. Not even any giant lines to enter or re-enter like in the past.

And honestly, the price really isn't that bad. You need to want to go for many reasons though, not just one thing. Of course it feels like a ripoff if you just want to go to the marketplace to shop. Then, you're just paying for the privilege of shopping and paying more. But there's tons of value in the weekend pass if you're a fan of multiple things. I don't get why people are so consistently down on the show.

For me, it's still one of the greatest weekends all year. Always look forward to it.

-

I'm gonna get my Artist Alley game on tomorrow. I'm sure I wanna buy at least one thing. The one guy with the endcap booth and the gorgeous art....it's usually depicting a small character juxtaposed against a large character. He's done pieces for SOTC, Portal, FFVII, etc. He did that cloud Vs Sephiroth piece that was all the rage in the Game Art thread recently.

Quick

Banned
I had a pretty good day today at Fan Expo. I'll hit up Artist Alley tomorrow to check up on last minute stuff. I took in a couple of panels today and I'll see what else I can attend tomorrow.

I was hungry and craving sushi. I caved in and bought from one of the many sushi stands and it was almost $20 with a bottle of water. Not doing that again.

Roto13

The lights went out when I was in the bathroom. :( Good thing I read in the bathroom and had my tablet with me for light.

I thought it was a power outage (the first one since I moved into this apartment 5 years ago) but it turned out to just be a blown fuse. Tragically, it burned out the power supply for my router. Everything else seems to be fine, except now I don't have wi-fi until I can get a new one probably tomorrow.

I'm tethering my laptop to my phone. Really glad I have unlimited mobile 4G with Wind.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
It's so hot in my apartment. I'm okay if I don't move but as soon as I do something, I immediately want to take a cool shower.

dluu13

The lights went out when I was in the bathroom. :( Good thing I read in the bathroom and had my tablet with me for light.

I thought it was a power outage (the first one since I moved into this apartment 5 years ago) but it turned out to just be a blown fuse. Tragically, it burned out the power supply for my router. Everything else seems to be fine, except now I don't have wi-fi until I can get a new one probably tomorrow.

I'm tethering my laptop to my phone. Really glad I have unlimited mobile 4G with Wind.

Hah I live less than 5 minutes walk from my work and I can go there whenever I want! Wait... what?

Kraftwerk

Canadians can look forward to a warmer, less precipitous winter this year, thanks to a strong El
Nino weather system ramping up in the Pacific Ocean.

"If [this El Nino] is strong, then those warm breezes will make it even to Atlantic Canada, making it a warmer winter well across Canada," Phillips says.

giphy.gif

FUCK YOU EL NINO AND KURO

the fuck is a "warmer winter". Get that shit out of here.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm cold as hell. I pretty much leave my ac on all the time.

#TeamSummer in a nut shell. "I love the heat! Let me crank up my AC until I see frost inside my house.."

Kuro will quickly retort that #TeamWinter enjoys heating in the winter, but I don't have my heater cranked up to 30, which is the equivalent.

giphy.gif

Burn baby burn

I just want snow during that one Christmas week and then everything else can fuck off

Also god damn it I wanted to get in line for re-entry into Fan Expo early this morning, first train south on Eglinton is at 8:55AM or something. God damn it why can't they just run 30 minutes earlier

Dr.Acula

Banned
TIFF online purchasing was absolutely painless for the first time ever. The online gets better every year, but this is the first time I was able to get tix online first thing.

I managed to log in at 9:00:05, and was 148 in queue. After ~15 min I was in, and I got tix for everything I wanted. I was able to get my mum tix for Beeba Boys as well. I was finished my purchases by 9:30. For laughs, I logged back in and was immediately shunted to 2500.

Checking twitter it's a mix of "that was awesome" and "7th circle of hell."

Quadratic

TIFF online purchasing was absolutely painless for the first time ever. The online gets better every year, but this is the first time I was able to get tix online first thing.

I managed to log in at 9:00:05, and was 148 in queue. After ~15 min I was in, and I got tix for everything I wanted. I was able to get my mum tix for Beeba Boys as well. I was finished my purchases by 9:30. For laughs, I logged back in and was immediately shunted to 2500.

Checking twitter it's a mix of "that was awesome" and "7th circle of hell."

Yeah, he experience is so much better now. I remember the years of inputting your first second and third choices in a booklet for packages. Then being put into a lot and going through a quasi lottery to get the tickets you want. Now it's online real time selections which is fantastic. Even picking up your tickets is streamlined from how it used to be.

#TeamSummer in a nut shell. "I love the heat! Let me crank up my AC until I see frost inside my house.."

Kuro will quickly retort that #TeamWinter enjoys heating in the winter, but I don't have my heater cranked up to 30, which is the equivalent.
I love snuggling under my blanket when it's cold in my bedroom. So nice. And it's easier to dress up then dress down. TeamSummer is the only team. I hope you all enjoy your 40 degree weather that our glorious mother has given us today.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

This is all Kuro's fault.

So you turn your AC on to - 30 with windchill instead?! D:
Burn baby burn

I just want snow during that one Christmas week and then everything else can fuck off
I'll allow it.
I love snuggling under my blanket when it's cold in my bedroom. So nice. And it's easier to dress up then dress down. TeamSummer is the only team. I hope you all enjoy your 40 degree weather that our glorious mother has given us today.

Quick

Banned
That's another Fan Expo done. That was pretty fun. Panels were great, which I think goes hand-in-hand with the quality of the guests they brought in this year.

I spent a bit more money this year than last year (which was barely any), but still not anything insane like many others I'm sure. Despite the CAD, deals weren't too bad. I saw a few exhibitors pricing comics at USD with no tax, or something similar. BMV had good markdowns on their stuff all weekend.

The Funko Pop figures seem like the big items this year, which I picked up a few of. I think EB Games had the best sale for them (2 for $20, excluding Star Wars and EB Exclusives). I managed to get a few Star Wars ones for my collection, but I think I'm about done with Funko Pop figures for a while.

It was hilarious seeing the one store selling Funko Pop on the north building for $20 each, or something like that. Not sure what store it is, since it only had the Funko logo on it, but it definitely wasn't an official store since it looked a bit shoddy. Many others were going for $13-$15 per figure.

The only other store that was selling them at a good price was the one that had glass walls with Funko Pop figures displayed. I don't recall what store it is, but it had a 5 for $50 deal going on ($12 per figure).

I took a picture of someone in costume in front of the anime boob mouse pads. I'm too embarrassed to put it up on social media now.

I'm usually sick of it after everything is done, but if they keep the quality up (including the good guests), then I think I'll be back next year.

It was hilarious seeing the one store selling Funko Pop on the north building for $20 each, or something like that. Not sure what store it is, since it only had the Funko logo on it, but it definitely wasn't an official store since it looked a bit shoddy. Many others were going for $13-$15 per figure.

I took a picture of someone in costume in front of the anime boob mouse pads. I'm too embarrassed to put it up on social media now.

Yeah I saw that same Funko Pop stand, and despite knowing nothing or having interest in any of those things, I was almost 100% certain those were bootlegs. Bootlegs are something you have to be careful of at cons, especially cons like Anime North. It's something you would actually have to search and compare with the original ones to even notice. It's the reason I rarely buy figures from cons now a days.

Speaking of bootlegs and since you mentioned anime boob mousepads. The ones you saw are from Anime Xtreme. They actually just sell 'cheaper' and shoddily made ones. You can tell because the image quality on them are garbage. They also charge like $30 for them, which is absurd, because you could buy legit official ones off Ami Ami for the same price or for $10 they look nicer and last longer
and also come in different boob sizes.
There are also ones for butts and for guys except its their chests and it's fantastic

I may or may not own a To Love Ru one that I'm really happy to own

krae_man

That's another Fan Expo done. That was pretty fun. Panels were great, which I think goes hand-in-hand with the quality of the guests they brought in this year.

I spent a bit more money this year than last year (which was barely any), but still not anything insane like many others I'm sure. Despite the CAD, deals weren't too bad. I saw a few exhibitors pricing comics at USD with no tax, or something similar. BMV had good markdowns on their stuff all weekend.

The Funko Pop figures seem like the big items this year, which I picked up a few of. I think EB Games had the best sale for them (2 for $20, excluding Star Wars and EB Exclusives). I managed to get a few Star Wars ones for my collection, but I think I'm about done with Funko Pop figures for a while.

The only other store that was selling them at a good price was the one that had glass walls with Funko Pop figures displayed. I don't recall what store it is, but it had a 5 for $50 deal going on ($12 per figure).

I'm usually sick of it after everything is done, but if they keep the quality up (including the good guests), then I think I'll be back next year.

When I was at PAX there was a lineup to buy Lootcrates. "Hey it's that thing I can get in the mail easily with a few clicks of a mouse. I know, I'll wait in line 30 minutes to buy one!"

Quick

Banned
Yeah I saw that same Funko Pop stand, and despite knowing nothing or having interest in any of those things, I was almost 100% certain those were bootlegs. Bootlegs are something you have to be careful of at cons, especially cons like Anime North. It's something you would actually have to search and compare with the original ones to even notice. It's the reason I rarely buy figures from cons now a days.

Speaking of bootlegs and since you mentioned anime boob mousepads. The ones you saw are from Anime Xtreme. They actually just sell 'cheaper' and shoddily made ones. You can tell because the image quality on them are garbage. They also charge like $30 for them, which is absurd, because you could buy legit official ones off Ami Ami for the same price or for $10 they look nicer and last longer
and also come in different boob sizes.
There are also ones for butts and for guys except its their chests and it's fantastic

I may or may not own a To Love Ru one that I'm really happy to own

Adding to the bootleg stuff, I saw a few Tyler Stout Mondo posters around as well. Clearly printed off from a low quality source once you took a closer look. One store was selling it as mini prints, and it was definitely shitty. As for figures, I figured Fan Expo's people would be able to weed out less credible exhibitors like that. In any case, the price was absurd, especially when you could just go to the south building. The store was clearly capitalizing on people seeing it first, with the entrance to buy tickets being on that side of the building.

I wish I had the awareness to have taken my picture AWAY from the boob mouse pads. Instant regret since it was an awesome costume. I didn't take too many pictures of people in costume since, I don't know, I felt really awkward asking a lot of them. Especially the many Suicide Squad Harley Quinns. One of them works at one of the comic/collectibles stores in the south building - it was almost 1:1 to the movie. I had no issue with this last year, not sure what exactly was holding me back on that. It wasn't like I was focusing on just the women or something like that.

Quick

Banned
When I was at PAX there was a lineup to buy Lootcrates. "Hey it's that thing I can get in the mail easily with a few clicks of a mouse. I know, I'll wait in line 30 minutes to buy one!"

I've never been really into that kind of subscription service. Nerd Block was at Fan Expo last year and the idea just didn't gel with me. There were also the stores (or maybe just one) that was selling $40 mystery boxes.

Top Bottom