• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sunday I was out from 10am until 5pm playing baseball...

Baseball pants, long socks, jersey, hat, out in the scorching sun. I think I almost collapsed from the heat but we won so it's all worth it.

And coming home to a cold shower was simply the best.

jcutner

Hope you got there early. Demos are pretty long and they can only do 9 people an hour.

Made an appointment for 3pm. I'll try to get there just before 3pm. Fingers crossed!

Also, I didn't realize you could go earlier than 12 to make an appointment, being that it said 12-9 online...

whitehawk

Banned
Hooooooly shit. HTC vive is the fucking shit. The demo was the real deal. 20 min demo, big room. You had two controllers and could walk around a big room. Fuuuuuck. I was in the Portal universe!!

jcutner

Hooooooly shit. HTC vive is the fucking shit. The demo was the real deal. 20 min demo, big room. You had two controllers and could walk around a big room. Fuuuuuck. I was in the Portal universe!!

Can't wait! What other VR stuff have you tried? I tried an Oculus Rift at the Autoshow (wasn't impressed with the screendoor effect), then the Galaxy Gear at the HotDocs thing (that was quite good) and Google Cardboard with my iPhone6.

I'm guessing all the slots might be full, but they were saying (at noon), you can drop by each hour to see if people didn't show up for their appointments

There are appointments?

Bleh. How the hell am I supposed to do this on a workday?

You walk around a room?

Is that it?

krae_man

I told you. Did you do the kitchen one too? I tried to throw the fridge and it wouldn't let me :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Can't wait! What other VR stuff have you tried? I tried an Oculus Rift at the Autoshow (wasn't impressed with the screendoor effect), then the Galaxy Gear at the HotDocs thing (that was quite good) and Google Cardboard with my iPhone6.
I tried both the Oculus Rift DK2 and Morpheus at Fanexpo, and HTC Vive at this event, as well as Samsung VR.

SVR = Shit
DK2 = Okay
Morpheus = Awesome
Vive = Holy shit balls

So I guess it's too late to go try the Vive?
Yeah, unless you're walk by at the right time and someone didn't show up. I got there around 11:40, and I was pretty early in line. I had to sign up for a time, which was 1PM. Once I got to the appointment, I saw people come by only to be turned away because it was all full.

There are appointments?

Bleh. How the hell am I supposed to do this on a workday?

You walk around a room?

Is that it?
There were 3 demos they have you try.

1. Deep sea something

You are placed on the deck of an old shipwrecked boat deep under the sea. You can walk around the deck, and swipe at fish swimming around you, and they'll swim away. There are different creatures swimming around, and then a big as whale starts swimming towards you. It gets super close and then slows down in front of the boat and just stares you down for a while. The sense of scale was real, I'm sure it freaked some people out.

2. 3D Painting

The worst demo, but it was mostly for you to interact with the controllers and get used to them. There are 2 trackpads on each controller, and some triggers and buttons. I could use the track pad by swiping left and right to get to different menus. One of them was colour, one was paint brush type, etc. Once colour was selected, I would take my right controller and point at the colour I wanted, and click the trigger. After that I could basically paint lines in 3D space, and then walk through it all. Demo was sort so I was just painting random lines, but it would be cool to see what someone could create with some time.

3. Portal 2 demo

Here you are placed in a room in the Portal 2 universe. A voice tells you a few tasks that include charging your tools, opening some drawers, and then reparing one of the portal 2 characters. It's impossible to do so, and it all breaks. Then all the walls fall apart, as well as the floor below you somewhat, and you are seeing the behind the scenes as you do in the game, seeing the whole factory. Then that final boss comes out and gets close at you blaming you for this. Again the sense of scales was incredible.

Honestly, being able to walk around, crouch down, and interact with things with your hands really sold the experience over other VR experiences. In the demo 'home' screen, you could hold the trigger to blow up a balloon out of your controller. I then hit it, and got some vibration feedback in the controller. Such a simple thing, but so cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So it looks like my phone is dying and apparently out of warranty costs for the phone is like 370 dollars, so I might as well get a new phone.

But, does anyone know what the contract situation is like nowadays? You essentially can't keep your old contract if you buy a new subsidized phone from Bell, right?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They're suppose to provide customer service / directions as well. But between being semi-impossible to hear them in booth at some stations and the booth collectors being some of the grumpiest TTC employees, I don't think it's great.
Growing up my friend's dad was a subway driver and after someone committed suicide he would have time off and then be put in a booth for a week or two right before getting back to his normal duties. I still remember him saying it was worse than the jumper.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So it looks like my phone is dying and apparently out of warranty costs for the phone is like 370 dollars, so I might as well get a new phone.

But, does anyone know what the contract situation is like nowadays? You essentially can't keep your old contract if you buy a new subsidized phone from Bell, right?
Get an unlocked phone or a Bell compatible one and you're fine. If you get a new phone subsidized as part of their 2 year deal when then get fucked.

I'm glad to hear the Vive has the most positive impressions and that's the one I'm strongly leaning towards.

SVR = Meh.
DK2 = possible but who is pushing the games side of it?
Morpheus = I'd like for it to be successful but there have been little to no news for support
Vive = Valve. They're gonna support the shit outta it via Steam and if they're on board, I can see a bunch of other devs supporting it too - especially if they freely release documentation for it.

Willectro

Banned
I wanted to try Morpheus at Fan Expo but the lineup was long.

I did line up for Battlefront, which is awesome.

Yea, but less chance of getting pinkeye from Battlefront.

Wow. Echoing whitehawk here with the Vive.

God damn that was awesome.

Interesting impressions. I still don't know what to think about all this VR. Obviously it's the future in some capacity, but it's still very early days.

grumble

Growing up my friend's dad was a subway driver and after someone committed suicide he would have time off and then be put in a booth for a week or two right before getting back to his normal duties. I still remember him saying it was worse than the jumper.

Honestly some jobs would just make your mind rot. If you were in that booth right hours a day for thirty years you'd probably be suicidal yourself.

Soi-Fong

The Vive is very cool as evidence by me not even noticing my fly was open testing out our application for the Vive at the studio.

TG4b.jpg

But as a dev, I really suggest for people not to underestimate the Morpheus.

Roto13

I'd feel weird going to a VR demo on a day when everyone is going to be sweating into the headset.

added_time, what was that bus driver hoping to accomplish? You know you didn't sneak in, which means you know he's lying about having seen you sneak in, which means he knows that you know that he knows that he's lying about having seen you sneak in. Who was he trying to convince? Was he trying to convince you that you had, in fact, snuck into the station, and that you had just imagined riding the subway?

Finally moved in! My impressions:

-There are too many people
-No one says thanks or look at me weird when I say thanks
-It's hot as fuck (though not so bad today)
-Lots of diversity, which is great (I'm from a town with little to none of that)
-Shawarma
-The buildings downtown look really cool from high up
-There are lots of people

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

-Lots of diversity, which is great (I'm from a town with little to none of that)
-Shawarma

When you are sick of too many people, go 'outside' the core and see a lot of the awesome parks and ravines the city has to offer. Especially come winter, they'll be practically empty.

dluu13

When you are sick of too many people, go 'outside' the core and see a lot of the awesome parks and ravines the city has to offer. Especially come winter, they'll be practically empty.

I don't know how fun it will be to be outside in the park during the winter.

-Shawarma

If you're going to be anywhere south of Eglinton prepare your butt for too many people because Old Toronto is an area with a lot of people.

But that's also why people run away outside the city. To escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Personally I hate doing that going to the cottage stuff or whatever because it's boring and I'd rather stay home where I can play video games and I'm a 5 minute walk away from Panago. The idea that you need to 'escape the city' and 'you need to have an expensive vacation to relax' is lost on me.

Actually speaking of too many people in class today a girl mentioned how she thinks Toronto is too over crowded and there were a good amount of people in the lecture hall who just giggled at that. What she should have said is the TTC is too crowded, and then everyone just gets salty.

Also people aren't actually that mean here. People are just really fucking busy and have to get places, or have entered a droning state where they just want to do their job and go the fuck home. I'd imagine Toronto, Montreal, and maybe Vancouver are huge hits on people who have stayed in rural areas for most of their life. I have a friend who lived in rural Ontario for the entirety of his life, but had to go to Toronto for post-secondary. The constant rush of downtown and the crowding on subways were such a reality check for him. He actually waited for the subway to empty out before he got on the train to go to class and he was late by 30-45 minutes even though I told him you need to get the fuck on there or you're gonna be late for class.

Azih

People are... polite... in Toronto, but it's way way way friendlier outside of the GTA. That's for sure.

Get away from the subway line and Toronto quietens down a lot.

dluu13

People are... polite... in Toronto, but it's way way way friendlier outside of the GTA. That's for sure.

Get away from the subway line and Toronto quietens down a lot.

I came from Vancouver and I thought the people were more polite here, but I have read that people from Vancouver are cold.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You don't know service until you've been served by surly wait staff at a hole-in-the-wall Asian restaurant.

Don't like the service?
Too fucking bad!

Don't think I've ever had exceptional service at a Chinese place...

I'm a generic Asian. The GAF meetups here actually aren't THAT Asian.

I've experienced that many times. It's especially bad when they're busy.
Hey! You take that back. ALL generic Asians ALL the time! Well ok and one black cat that thinks water is beer.

ahdurian

so apparently a biker that hit my mom's car back in November, who tried to press charges and lost her case in court, is trying to sue us for $1m

in November, the biker didn't look to her side when trying to bypass some parked cars, and ran into the passenger side door of our car, making a small dent and some rubber marks from the handle.
said she was fine, and we stayed with her for an hour after the actual accident happened, saying she didn't want an ambulance or to call the police because it was her fault, so she just wanted to wait for her husband
2hrs go by, and then we get a call from the police saying we were reported by the biker, and that she wanted to press charges

I came from Vancouver and I thought the people were more polite here, but I have read that people from Vancouver are cold.

Yeah, I'm also from Vancouver and it's weird when people say that Torontonians are unfriendly or whatever. I find people here way more friendly. Had multiple instances where complete strangers would randomly ask me if I needed help when I was walking around the PATH. I've also had multiple instances where people would voluntarily make room for me on a completely packed TTC train even when I was more than willing to wait for the next one. IMO Vancouverites are cliquey and just straight up unfriendly to new people.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
so apparently a biker that hit my mom's car back in November, who tried to press charges and lost her case in court, is trying to sue us for $1m

in November, the biker didn't look to her side when trying to bypass some parked cars, and ran into the passenger side door of our car, making a small dent and some rubber marks from the handle.
said she was fine, and we stayed with her for an hour after the actual accident happened, saying she didn't want an ambulance or to call the police because it was her fault, so she just wanted to wait for her husband
2hrs go by, and then we get a call from the police saying we were reported by the biker, and that she wanted to press charges

Soft tissue damage I assume? Hope your mom wins.

Roto13

Yeah, I'm also from Vancouver and it's weird when people say that Torontonians are unfriendly or whatever. I find people here way more friendly. Had multiple instances where complete strangers would randomly ask me if I needed help when I was walking around the PATH. I've also had multiple instances where people would voluntarily make room for me on a completely packed TTC train even when I was more than willing to wait for the next one. IMO Vancouverites are cliquey and just straight up unfriendly to new people.

Seriously. I lived in Vancouver before I moved here and I made more friends in my first month here than I did in my year and a half in Vancouver. "Cliquey" is the perfect word to describe it. There's a reason the Vancouver OT can never get a meetup going.

dluu13

Seriously. I lived in Vancouver before I moved here and I made more friends in my first month here than I did in my year and a half in Vancouver. "Cliquey" is the perfect word to describe it. There's a reason the Vancouver OT can never get a meetup going.

"Cliquey" was my high school. I wasn't really close friends with any of those groups until I got picked up (for lack of a better term) by a few guys with whom I'm close with even to this day. Too bad they couldn't move out here with me haha.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe cause I'm from Hongcouver. Speaking of meetups, when's the next one gonna be?
EM has graciously, yet again, said he will start the next one.

I think I've done two...? Getting old...

First Simpsons theme and then Earhtbound racist themed.

EM's should be freemium mobile themed :D
Something something need to go outside to make friends something something

I made a thread about it but I found a bag of weed around the Jane & Eglinton area. So if any of you dropped a big bag of weed around there then hit me up and I will return it to you.

Top Bottom