• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't it be great if it was just Tory getting up on the podium just to sat they wouldn't be putting a bid in and just called this conference to give the figurative finger to the IOC?

On one hand, white people were a minority at U of T when I attended.

On the other hand, this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen from this campus, and I used to regularly read the campus newspapers.
I hope he does say we won't bother with it.

White people the minority a UofT..?! 0_o you taking Scarborough campus? You can't mean te downtown campus.

Blackhead

Redarse
How cool would it be to host the Olympics though? I know the IOC are scum and the bid makes no financial sense but... maybe Tory is going to announce a proposal for Olympics reform?

zroid

Banned
The way Tory was being coy about it for so long made it seem like he was never really interested to begin with. I think he was just stringing along the supporters so it appeared he was taking it seriously.

The way Tory was being coy about it for so long made it seem like he was never really interested to begin with. I think he was just stringing along the supporters so it appeared he was taking it seriously.

I think he was waiting to see if the private sector would pony up cash

Kraftwerk

Friend car was broken into and this custom hand madr in Toronto frame was stolen. If any of you see it, and a girl isn't riding or holding it let me know. Sharing in as many places as possible.

fnGzh3O.jpg

Willectro

Banned
Dude's not a city builder at all.

Lol yea.

I'm so happy about everything that got built for Pan Am. Niche sports facilities on the outskirts have really improved Toronto. Oh and those letters in front of City Hall. And that HOV lane test run. I'm sad we won't get more improvements like this for the Olympics. /s

Azih

Lol yea.

I'm so happy about everything that got built for Pan Am. Niche sports facilities on the outskirts have really improved Toronto. Oh and those letters in front of City Hall. And that HOV lane test run. I'm sad we won't get more improvements like this for the Olympics. /s

Union Pearson Link
Athlete's Village turned derelict port lands into a brand new tax generating neighborhood.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Union Pearson Link
Athlete's Village turned derelict port lands into a brand new tax generating neighborhood.
While I can't speak to the derelict port lands, I don't see many people using the UP link...I thought about it when u came back from Costa Rica but nah.

Azih

While I can't speak to the derelict port lands, I don't see many people using the UP link...I thought about it when u came back from Costa Rica but nah.

True enough. It seems designed for business travels on expense accounts so.. maybe.. it's successful for that crowd? Still city's needed a link from union to the airport for decades and here it is.If ridership numbers are bad enough then I can see the price being slashed as well.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
True enough. It seems designed for business travels on expense accounts so.. maybe.. it's successful for that crowd? Still city's needed a link from union to the airport for decades and here it is.If ridership numbers are bad enough then I can see the price being slashed as well.
I'd be surprised if someone expensed that vs a taxi though. Seems more like for people who don't know any better.

Azih

I'd be surprised if someone expensed that vs a taxi though. Seems more like for people who don't know any better.

I think the travel time on the thing is 25 mins. Pretty fast and cheaper than a taxi for a single business traveler staying at a downtown hotel. Only scenario where the thing is better than the alternatives from what I can see.

Quadratic

Another taxi demonstration this morning downtown at Nathan Phillips Sq. The taxi companies should stop fighting ride sharing and look into their own industry for improvements to make it a better alternative to Uber.

It's another example of an old industry trying to push back against innovation.

jokkir

Another taxi demonstration this morning downtown at Nathan Phillips Sq. The taxi companies should stop fighting ride sharing and look into their own industry for improvements to make it a better alternative to Uber.

It's another example of an old industry trying to push back against innovation.

Everyone talking on CP24 is making it really hard to watch. "The cab industry will DIE. It's impossible for us to compete with Uber!!"

Azih

True, but could have done the UP without Pan Am surely.
But we didn't for decades is the thing. If it takes big tent events to get infrastructure made then that's what it takes (unless you elect someone like the NDP federally). Vancouver/Whistler managed to do very very well with the Sea to Sky highway out of the Winter Olympics as well.

Willectro

Banned
But we didn't for decades is the thing. If it takes big tent events to get infrastructure made then that's what it takes (unless you elect someone like the NDP federally). Vancouver/Whistler managed to do very very well with the Sea to Sky highway out of the Winter Olympics as well.

NDP? Didn't Trudeau promise the largest infrastructure investment in Canadian history? So we can have our cake and eat it too? I don't believe a word that comes out of Mulcair's mouth anyway, so he can spout his half promises/lies all he wants. Also, although you are correct about Vancouver, the winter Olympics are quite different than summer in terms of cost. Olympics are a massive opportunity for private businesses, so it's quite interesting that there wasn't enough interest from them for the bid.

If other ethnic groups are allowed to form their own student associations, it should be perfectly OK for anglosaxons to form theirs as well without the implied racism.

With that said, it's disappointing to witness a multicultural society operating as pockets of people keeping to themselves instead of people of different ethnicities seeing themselves simply as Canadians and not caring about skin color.

I often worry about having to one day explain to my child why people would see him as different just because of the color of his skin and would simply assume he speaks a certain language even though he'll grow up in an English-speaking, hockey/baseball/NFL-loving household.

Azih

Olympics are a massive opportunity for private businesses, so it's quite interesting that there wasn't enough interest from them for the bid.

Private businesses prefer to let the public take care of the costs so they can take care of the profit.

Willectro

Banned
Private businesses prefer to let the public take care of the costs so they can take care of the profit.

Either way I thought private would have encouraged it more than Tory implied. I'm still of the opinion that these large sporting events are just an avenue to move public money to private pockets.

I'm not gonna get into the whole ad blocking ethics thing but my god is blogto so much easier to read on mobile without that stupid ass permanent banner ad on the bottom.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If other ethnic groups are allowed to form their own student associations, it should be perfectly OK for anglosaxons to form theirs as well without the implied racism.

With that said, it's disappointing to witness a multicultural society operating as pockets of people keeping to themselves instead of people of different ethnicities seeing themselves simply as Canadians and not caring about skin color.

I often worry about having to one day explain to my child why people would see him as different just because of the color of his skin and would simply assume he speaks a certain language even though he'll grow up in an English-speaking, hockey/baseball/NFL-loving household.
Part of the reason is because of the exclusion in the first place. It's not as if minorities came and were welcome with open arms in the first place. These ethnic groups were a chance for minorities to mingle without the racism present from the majority. It was to help with a sense of belonging, which isn't something the majority really needed since they already belong to the majority.

Things have gotten better of course, but these groups are more about culture and language exchange and things you have in common rather than ethnic enclaves. Had this white group made it about Canada instead, I'd be posting something different.

Top Bottom