• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Mine is still good condition! Sure the lamination is gone and you can barely read my signature but it's not cracked or anything.

:(

cocopuffs

Banned
Been born, raised and living in Toronto for about 20 years but I've never really explored around that much. Attending uni in the core of downtown though gives me a lot of time to just explore and actually see Toronto.

Any good places I should go to or visit for someone who's not a tourist and has all the time in the world to check things out?

Also, is Scarborough really Toronto? Call me ignorant but I've always thought of it as its own separate city, not exactly Toronto per say. Just thinking about this cause I overhead some people saying they were from Toronto (Scarborough) even though that feels like a Mississauga resident saying they're from Toronto. Or does it even matter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Been born, raised and living in Toronto for about 20 years but I've never really explored around that much. Attending uni in the core of downtown though gives me a lot of time to just explore and actually see Toronto.

Any good places I should go to or visit for someone who's not a tourist and has all the time in the world to check things out?

Also, is Scarborough really Toronto? Call me ignorant but I've always thought of it as its own separate city, not exactly Toronto per say. Just thinking about this cause I overhead some people saying they were from Toronto (Scarborough) even though that feels like a Mississauga resident saying they're from Toronto. Or does it even matter.
Scarborough is a part of the amalgamated city of Toronto (fuck it's been 18 years). Same Mayor, same city.

Part of the reason is because of the exclusion in the first place. It's not as if minorities came and were welcome with open arms in the first place. These ethnic groups were a chance for minorities to mingle without the racism present from the majority. It was to help with a sense of belonging, which isn't something the majority really needed since they already belong to the majority.

Things have gotten better of course, but these groups are more about culture and language exchange and things you have in common rather than ethnic enclaves. Had this white group made it about Canada instead, I'd be posting something different.
I wish it's as simple as groups giving a place for people to belong, back in the old days you might be one of a handful of ethnic Canadians in a strange land just trying to find out where's a good place to eat food from home, but it's different from what's happening now.

These groups are for whom to belong? International students? New immigrants? You look at U of T or York, ethnic minorities are your majority. Whites in U of T probably are the minority and maybe they like to form their own minority groups as well just like everybody else, I can't say I'm a big fan of that and if they're actively spreading hatred towards minorities, I would have a problem with that but I'm simply not going to assume, you don't need a group for racism to happen.

Everyday I see more and more reverse racism as well as resentment towards people who managed to integrate, I see one ethnic group not taking a looking to another. More than a handful of times I get shit for not knowing mandarin and was told I'm not Chinese, I just fucking tell them they're right because I'm Canadian, but I would probably prefer not to have a city basically subdivided into ethnic enclaves which is what's happening all over the city.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I wish it's as simple as groups giving a place for people to belong, back in the old days you might be one of a handful of ethnic Canadians in a strange land just trying to find out where's a good place to eat food from home, but it's different from what's happening now.

These groups are for whom to belong? International students? New immigrants? You look at U of T or York, ethnic minorities are your majority. Whites in U of T probably are the minority and maybe they like to form their own minority groups as well just like everybody else, I can't say I'm a big fan of that and if they're actively spreading hatred towards minorities, I would have a problem with that but I'm simply not going to assume, you don't need a group for racism to happen.

Everyday I see more and more reverse racism as well as resentment towards people who managed to integrate, I see one ethnic group not taking a looking to another. More than a handful of times I get shit for not knowing mandarin and was told I'm not Chinese, I just fucking tell them they're right because I'm Canadian, but I would probably prefer not to have a city basically subdivided into ethnic enclaves which is what's happening all over the city.
I know how you feel.

But to answer your questions.
There are still a lot of international students and new immigrants.
I don't know where you're getting numbers from but I'm certain whites are most certainly not a minority. Not at UofT and certainly not in this city. Also, I WILL assume when the name is a white group instead of a western culture group or similar.

As for being a CBC and getting it from both sides, all I can say is I know how you feel. I'm not particularly fond of Chinese from the mainland myself. Though the only people who've told me I'm not Chinese are people I actually know. Never had a stranger come up and tell me I'm not Chinese. And the times j go eat at a Chinese restaurant, Mandarin or Cantonese, I always use English anyways as my wife wouldn't understand.

I wanted a hot chocolate this morning but then realized it was going to be 27 later today.

I don't think I even understand my logic.

Both Etobicoke and Scarborough are technically part of the new amalgamated city. In addition to Old Toronto, York, North York, and East York. Hence that '6ix' stuff, the 6 joined municipalities that make up the City of Toronto.

To be honest, even growing up in Toronto during elementary school it was still cool to make fun of Scarborough. Etobicoke always felt like its own thing growing up. In high school, in my head and to my classmates the 'city' was always just Old Toronto, North York, and East York (always forgetting about York) with Etobicoke and Scarborough just kinda attached to the side. What I was actually thinking back then was "Here are the areas I can easily get to by train."

Just wait until you get into confusing geographical classifications of neighborhoods. When a lot of people say "North Toronto" they may be talking about North York. Yet the Yonge & Eglinton area in Midtown is still technically referred to as "North Toronto" on signs and on buildings because it used to be the Northern most point of Old Toronto. Hence 'North Toronto Collegiate' and 'North Toronto Memorial Center'.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Both Etobicoke and Scarborough are technically part of the new amalgamated city. In addition to Old Toronto, York, North York, and East York. Hence that '6ix' stuff, the 6 joined municipalities that make up the City of Toronto.

To be honest, even growing up in Toronto during elementary school it was still cool to make fun of Scarborough. Etobicoke always felt like its own thing growing up. In high school, in my head and to my classmates the 'city' was always just Old Toronto, North York, and East York (always forgetting about York) with Etobicoke and Scarborough just kinda attached to the side. What I was actually thinking back then was "Here are the areas I can easily get to by train."

Just wait until you get into confusing geographical classifications of neighborhoods. When a lot of people say "North Toronto" they may be talking about North York. Yet the Yonge & Eglinton area in Midtown is still technically referred to as "North Toronto" on signs and on buildings because it used to be the Northern most point of Old Toronto. Hence 'North Toronto Collegiate' and 'North Toronto Memorial Center'.

OMG now I know why it's called that at last! I figured it was just because of the "416" and "647" area code.

I've learned some useless information today. :D

I received my health card letter yesterday. Oh well the old red and white had disintegrated pretty badly anyways so I would have had to get one soon either way.

By the way, thanks to Roto for hosting that awesome meetup at his place on Saturday! The cheese platter was one of the best I've ever had!

ughn8ue6.png

The weather's going all Verizon on us. I'm going to flip out if this is going to be another Thanksgiving BBQ year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally! You're all going to join us in the misery that is the need to renew your health card soon as even though it's gov't issued, it's not acceptable as ID for some reason!

Finally! You're all going to join us in the misery that is the need to renew your health card soon as even though it's gov't issued, it's not acceptable as ID for some reason!

You can't be asked to show your health card as ID, if you want to offer it to someone then it is usually ok depending on the place

I know how you feel.

But to answer your questions.
There are still a lot of international students and new immigrants.
I don't know where you're getting numbers from but I'm certain whites are most certainly not a minority. Not at UofT and certainly not in this city. Also, I WILL assume when the name is a white group instead of a western culture group or similar.

As for being a CBC and getting it from both sides, all I can say is I know how you feel. I'm not particularly fond of Chinese from the mainland myself. Though the only people who've told me I'm not Chinese are people I actually know. Never had a stranger come up and tell me I'm not Chinese. And the times j go eat at a Chinese restaurant, Mandarin or Cantonese, I always use English anyways as my wife wouldn't understand.
I tend to get that you're not Chinese thing exclusively from mainland Chinese types I run into who seem to expect everybody with yellow skin to automatically speak mandarin (Cantonese is not acceptable to them) or else they look at you with complete and utter disdain like how dare you not speak Mandarin to me when I come to your English-speaking country? What I really dislike is footprints on toilet seats, fucking disgusting.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what about the health cards? I haven't gotten any letters saying my red and white card has to be changed.

You will. I got mine yesterday.

I received my health card letter yesterday. Oh well the old red and white had disintegrated pretty badly anyways so I would have had to get one soon either way.

By the way, thanks to Roto for hosting that awesome meetup at his place on Saturday! The cheese platter was one of the best I've ever had!

I'm sorry. :(

Roto hates everyone but added_time. Unless he invited everyone but me. D:

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You can't be asked to show your health card as ID, if you want to offer it to someone then it is usually ok depending on the place
I always see signs saying that the health card was not accepted
I tend to get that you're not Chinese thing exclusively from mainland Chinese types I run into who seem to expect everybody with yellow skin to automatically speak mandarin (Cantonese is not acceptable to them) or else they look at you with complete and utter disdain like how dare you not speak Mandarin to me when I come to your English-speaking country? What I really dislike is footprints on toilet seats, fucking disgusting.
Foot...prints?! 0_o I...wat?!

Heh, they speak Mandarin to my wife, and she's Korean. I'm not sure it's a language thing vs a cultural thing. I get more attitude from the Canto speakers more whereas it's just general attitude from Mainlanders. My mother always responds to Ms Attitude Mandarin with her own Chinese Mandarin attitude. I guess you gotta just fight fire wi fire sometimes.

On the other hand, when I went to study in HK and we had a trip to Guangzhou, there were some students who wanted to practice English there. Wonderful. But they didn't want to talk to the CBC... :'(

I asked my prof, a guy who literally wrote the history books on HK, and he just said they were jelly and not to mind them.
Roto hates everyone but added_time. Unless he invited everyone but me. D:
We're not good enough for him :'(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Once you squat, you can't stop.

dluu13

I never know what to speak to Chinese people anymore. Over here, it seems like more people speak Mandarin, but back in Vancouver, I just defaulted to Cantonese.

zroid

Banned
I never know what to speak to Chinese people anymore. Over here, it seems like more people speak Mandarin, but back in Vancouver, I just defaulted to Cantonese.

What I've noticed is downtown, mandarin is more common; in the suburbs, cantonese

like, in the schools I attended, pretty much all the Chinese people had HK roots

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I just speak english. I never know who is a mainlander and who is from HK. It annoys me when Chinese people are unable to speak english here though

RC

Banned
Anyone know where I can park my car for cheap or possibly free in downtown Toronto?
Planning on driving there from my hotel to see the Leafs preseason game on Monday.

I always see signs saying that the health card was not accepted

Foot...prints?! 0_o I...wat?!

Heh, they speak Mandarin to my wife, and she's Korean. I'm not sure it's a language thing vs a cultural thing. I get more attitude from the Canto speakers more whereas it's just general attitude from Mainlanders. My mother always responds to Ms Attitude Mandarin with her own Chinese Mandarin attitude. I guess you gotta just fight fire wi fire sometimes.

On the other hand, when I went to study in HK and we had a trip to Guangzhou, there were some students who wanted to practice English there. Wonderful. But they didn't want to talk to the CBC... :'(

I asked my prof, a guy who literally wrote the history books on HK, and he just said they were jelly and not to mind them.

We're not good enough for him :'(

Yes, footprints, I've seen them, at least in Markham and Scarborough. I shit you not, it's like people never learned to sit ON a toilet, how they manage to read on the toilet comfortably I don't know.

For some reason mainlanders really dislike people they would describe as bananas who don't give a fuck, they don't mind HK people since the attitude is that basically HK people will always cater to them by speaking in mandarin, some don't even like being spoken to in Cantonese. My wife being third generation CBC who can't speak anything other than English and a bit of french doesn't help.

Once you squat, you can't stop.

Lol, I don't know why but they just can't lose that habit, I wonder when Chinese restaurants will start having squat toilets.

It's easier for mainlander refugees to find work in Toronto than Vancouver, so the working class mainlanders tend to live in Toronto, that's not to say wealthy mainlanders aren't buying up properties everywhere and sending their kids to school here, they pay $20k just to go to public highschools in Markham and a lot of the kids can't speak a lick of English.

What I've noticed is downtown, mandarin is more common; in the suburbs, cantonese

like, in the schools I attended, pretty much all the Chinese people had HK roots

Markham, especially where people are trying to get into the "good schools" (not sure why they're considered good when a lot of parents who send their kids there can't speak English properly), have a lot of mandarin speakers these days, obviously mainlanders from the guangdong province speak Cantonese but HK immigrants stopped coming long ago.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I must have missed this, are they finally phasing those out? Having to renew it every few years like a driver's license is something I just wanted to avoid.

Yes. Forced change. There was nothing wrong with mine. added_time got notice yesterday too. And my uncle got notice earlier this year.

Seeing SPL2 at Midnight Madness right meow!

edit: What's wrong with the photo health card anyway?

You have to renew your photo cards every couple of years. The old red and white cards never expired until now apparently.

I'm one of those dorks who lost his old card years ago and had to move to the photo cards. Welcome to the club, friends.

dluu13

You have to renew every couple of years. The old red and white cards were indefinite until now apparently.

I'm one of those dorks who lost his old card years ago and had to move to the photo cards. Welcome to the club, friends.

What's wrong with the photo cards?

dluu13

the expire

So you have to go somewhere to reapply for a health card? That sounds a bit bogus. That being said, BC's health card also expires. It's just that the cards are issued by driver licensing office, and they expire at the same time so it's a little more convenient to renew.

ahdurian

So you have to go somewhere to reapply for a health card? That sounds a bit bogus. That being said, BC's health card also expires. It's just that the cards are issued by driver licensing office, and they expire at the same time so it's a little more convenient to renew.

yeah, that's the main reason don't like it
I don't really know what the process is to renew them though
i'm hoping the dialysis department doesn't make me change it someday

So it's the exact same as Ontario? You just go to Service Ontario and get your picture taken.....

Quadratic

So it's the exact same as Ontario? You just go to Service Ontario and get your picture taken.....

I got my health card and driver's licence renewed at the same time. Got to service Ontario before it opened lined up for about 30 mins. Inside it took like 10 mins including taking the pictures to renew both cards. They both expire on your birthday.

It's not a huge deal if you have a driver's licence renewal to do as well. I understand if you don't drive and this is the only thing you need to renew it's a hassle.

dluu13

I got my health card and driver's licence renewed at the same time. Got to service Ontario before it opened lined up for about 30 mins. Inside it took like 10 mins including taking the pictures to renew both cards. They both expire on your birthday.

It's not a huge deal if you have a driver's licence renewal to do as well. I understand if you don't drive and this is the only thing you need to renew it's a hassle.

Oh, it's the same as in BC, I guess. I thought there was another department you had to go through. Welp, my cards expire in 2019, so unless I have to drive I probably won't do any renewals until then.

Anyone check this out?

http://persona5.jp/tgs2015/

Apparently there are Persona 5 posters here in Toronto. Or at least, locations of where someone scanned a QR code or went to the website

Someone here really likes Persona, cause they're the only one visible in all of North America for me

Top Bottom