• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quick

Banned
I hate those guys. I've been fortunate enough not to run into them, but my last encounter with them (posted it in the old Toronto OT) just left a sour taste in my mouth.

To quickly recap: I was walking down Yonge beside the Eaton Centre, one of them was "hiding" at one of the service entrances to the mall (there are recessed doors on the wall at the side of the mall), and he went for a handshake (which I stupidly took out of some weird instinct at the time) and wouldn't let go of my hand before I chipped him a a Toonie (he was asking for $4-5 I think).

N° 2048

I hate those guys. I've been fortunate enough not to run into them, but my last encounter with them (posted it in the old Toronto OT) just left a sour taste in my mouth.

To quickly recap: I was walking down Yonge beside the Eaton Centre, one of them was "hiding" at one of the service entrances to the mall (there are recessed doors on the wall at the side of the mall), and he went for a handshake (which I stupidly took out of some weird instinct at the time) and wouldn't let go of my hand before I chipped him a a Toonie (he was asking for $4-5 I think).

I'd probably attempt to break his hand if he held mine after I ask him to let go.

Not a chance in hell I'd give him money being forced physically. Growing up in 'the hood' taught me some pretty shitty instincts but sometimes they help with scum like that.

End vent.

dluu13

I biked all the way to humber river today because my friend wanted to see fish. Got there and there were no fish and then it started raining. At least I got out today. I actually passed by the tfc game. Shoulda stopped and watched there.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Best intersection in North York:

Yonge/Sheppard
Yonge/Empress
Yonge/Finch

?

Do you actually mean best best or best worst?

Cause no way in hell Yonge/Empress is best. I work right at that corner and there are a shitload of dangerous accidents there in the last 2-3 years.

Azih

Yonge/Finch has better Iranian stuff and a bit of the burb feel as you get free parking in the Food Basics plaza. Also cheap groceries because of that place.

Finch is end of line too so you can get a seat on the subway even during rush hour.

Do you actually mean best best or best worst?

Cause no way in hell Yonge/Empress is best. I work right at that corner and there are a shitload of dangerous accidents there in the last 2-3 years.

Well I mean for living at. I don't have a car :p

I assume you only have a choice between those three :p
Yonge/Sheppard

Pretty much. Need to stay as close to the subway as possible!

I hold yonge/shep and yonge/finch at a tie.

Empress doesn't count.

Yonge/steeles is second place.

Why not Empress? I just included the intersections that are beside subway stations. Plus, Empress gives you access to the Loblaws and it's right in between Finch and Sheppard so you can walk to either end lol.

Azih

Empress is a good fifteen minutes from Finch and Sheppard. Finch also has a Food Basics. Ghetto groceries > Fancy grocery with sushi and delis

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Well I mean for living at. I don't have a car :p

Pretty much. Need to stay as close to the subway as possible!

Why not Empress? I just included the intersections that are beside subway stations. Plus, Empress gives you access to the Loblaws and it's right in between Finch and Sheppard so you can walk to either end lol.

Well FYI all 3 intersections have some major condos going up around them.

Yonge and Sheppard not as bad but that's the busiest of the intersections.

Yonge and Empress just had a Menkes condo go up earlier this year, another block north there are potentially another 2 or 3 going up as well. I do know to go with it a lot of the older shops along Yonge there are closing down and slowly the area is going to end up being a lot more "high class" to go with the condos being built.

Yonge and Finch have I believe one just north of Finch being built and then a decent project along Hendon there. I haven't seen much in the way of the shops there closing down but I'd assume a bunch of them will be closed over the next few years to make room for more newer things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The line is part of the allure, probably. Canadians love lines.

Oh and apparently the Black History guys have a debit machine now. Should I feel bad for people who actually give them their debit cards to have their PINs stolen, or just laugh at their idiocy?

Funny story. My parents used to have a restaurant downtown, and I noticed that once in a while these well dressed black men would come in and just want to change a lot of coins into bills. My mother was fine with it because it just meant she didn't have to lug tons of loonies/toonies/quarters from the bank, and I never really thought to ask what they were actually selling or why they had so much change. It's only when I walked past one of them on Yonge St that I realized what they were "selling" and it just made sense at that point. lol

Quadratic

Empress is a good fifteen minutes from Finch and Sheppard. Finch also has a Food Basics. Ghetto groceries > Fancy grocery with sushi and delis

Man, you love that plaza. I've seen you talk about it quite a bit in this thread. I have a feeling the condo that's being proposed is going forward to take that prime real estate.

I personally never found the prices at that Food Basics all that much better than Shoppers/Metro/Loblaws sales. I guess it depends on what you're buying at the time

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yonge and Finch is the best

There's a new Japanese place on Byng ave. here that is ridiculously good.

y9WsTBm.jpg

Been there like five times in the last two weeks. They've got the best Katsu and Okonomiyaki I've had

Blackhead

Redarse
yep, Yonge n Finch is better if you're going to be walking around your neighborhood often. Also slightly cheaper than Yonge n Sheppard, right?

Yonge n Sheppard is better if you have friends further away/like taking trips. Closer to downtown, closer to freeway, express bus to downsview/yorkdale. subway to don mills nobody care about that subway

Yonge n Express is the worst. Are there even any plans to reopen the empress cinema there? at least it has the... library lol. second biggest library in TO ok but not worth it.

also

ahdurian

Been there like five times in the last two weeks. They've got the best Katsu and Okonomiyaki I've had

never been a huge fan of okonomiyaki, but I really want that curry. Japanese curry was my favorite thing to eat when I visited there

Divvy

yep, Yonge n Finch is better if you're going to be walking around your neighborhood often. Also slightly cheaper than Yonge n Sheppard, right?

Yonge n Sheppard is better if you have friends further away/like taking trips. Closer to downtown, closer to freeway, express bus to downsview/yorkdale. subway to don mills nobody care about that subway

Yonge n Express is the worst. Are there even any plans to reopen the empress cinema there? at least it has the... library lol. second biggest library in TO ok but not worth it.

also

The Empress theatre has been open for a while now. It's a Cineplex now

never been a huge fan of okonomiyaki, but I really want that curry. Japanese curry was my favorite thing to eat when I visited there

It's really good, and very cheap!

Renewed

One thing that I'll admit that doesn't make me love #teamwinter is that I can't leisurely walk about like today. I'm gonna cherish this time I have.

Can there be a Team Fall or Team Spring? I think I like this more than either Summer or Winter

Holy shit I've actually walked by this place at least 3 times randomly in the past month and skipped it purely because of their sign (yeah... I know). Guess I'll go in next time I'm near by

I never understood the appeal of Fall. It's cold, everything is dying, there's no snow, you can't go swimming, everyone is covered up in clothes/no more booty shorts, and it starts getting dark sooner.

Only redeeming factor is Halloween and the new Fall TV shows

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never understood the appeal of Fall. It's cold, everything is dying, there's no snow, you can't go swimming, everyone is covered up in clothes/no more booty shorts, and it starts getting dark sooner.

It's not humid, but it's not freezing. It's also not raining all the time like Spring!

Man, you love that plaza. I've seen you talk about it quite a bit in this thread. I have a feeling the condo that's being proposed is going forward to take that prime real estate.

I personally never found the prices at that Food Basics all that much better than Shoppers/Metro/Loblaws sales. I guess it depends on what you're buying at the time

My weekly groceries bill is 40% lower at foodbasics compared to sobeys. You dont really feel it until you start buying for whole family.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'll take this as a teamwarm win

jokkir

So that's where that Japanese food vendor went since they disappeared from T&T. Will check it out soon

The transition from summer to fall feels so nice though. Winter to spring always gets messy, and unravels the hidden dog shit treasures that linger beneath the snow mounds.

In Fall the leaves turn into nice colours and fall down and hopefully one of them doesn't fall down your shirt.

dluu13

The transition from summer to fall feels so nice though. Winter to spring always gets messy, and unravels the hidden dog shit treasures that linger beneath the snow mounds.

In Fall the leaves turn into nice colours and fall down and hopefully one of them doesn't fall down your shirt.

I had a friend slip and fall on some treacherous wet leaves, dislocating his knee.

alienxx45

Their takoyaki is a huge miss though.

The sushi take out place next door - VIPS rivals the the popular Sushi Bong down the street. So those 2 side by side together makes a killer take out combo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are there any places downtown that do okonomiyaki? If I'm in town again, I might take the hour trip up north just to try that place.

Divvy

Their takoyaki is a huge miss though.

The sushi take out place next door - VIPS rivals the the popular Sushi Bong down the street. So those 2 side by side together makes a killer take out combo.

I find that their takoyaki is really good if you are dining in, but if you get it take out, it gets really soggy really quickly.

Jays are gonna choke I can feel it. Quote this post in 2 weeks. Never EVER get confident about a Toronto sports team. Until the season is over and the trophy is on the shelf.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jays are gonna choke I can feel it. Quote this post in 2 weeks. Never EVER get confident about a Toronto sports team. Until the season is over and the trophy is on the shelf.

How dare you. The Jays will make the playoffs!
As the wild card, being eliminated in one game.

Azih

Yeah it's not long for the world. I was just amazed that South of Finch parking is a huge hassle while just north of Finch there's this suburban style strip plaza just hanging out. Wife made me drive up to the No Frills at Steeles though because the produce at the Food Basics was just dire.

Top Bottom