• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fuck, Hateful 8 is actually playing in 70mm at Varsity. Really didn't want to come into town during Christmas. I might avoid it and hope it's still there in January.

Fuck, Hateful 8 is actually playing in 70mm at Varsity. Really didn't want to come into town during Christmas. I might avoid it and hope it's still there in January.

Thanks for the tip. That movie is what I'm watching instead of Star Wars.

edit: my wife just informed me she wants to see Star Wars with me so I guess I'll be seeing both

Sober

Advantage in living in Markham is I live really close to the new VIP theatre at Birchmount/Enterprise. Got a Tuesday VIP ticket easy.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I know there's some sneakerheads in here.

My bro just brought me a pair of the Jordan11s with the leather.

Shit is smoooth as fuck wow.

Didn't even know we had VIP cinemas here. Since when? Now gotta get 4D cinemas. Furious 7 in 4D was the best.

Effects simulated in a 4D film may include rain, wind, strobe lights, and vibration. Seats in 4D venues may vibrate or move a few inches during the presentations. Other common chair effects include air jets, water sprays, and leg and back ticklers. Hall effects may include smoke, rain, lightning, air bubbles, and smell
Yes that's right. You can smell the burning tire rubber in a Furious 7 4D cinema.

cocopuffs

Banned

I'm not even a sneaker head but still trying to cop the Air Max the 6.

Have a feeling I missed out on them though as it seems to be a very limited release.

Varsity had VIP for about 15 years or so. About 4 years ago it started expanding to a lot of other theaters. Queensway built a whole new section just for VIP.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I was at a VIP cinema for the fist time for Star Wars on Friday, and it was actually pretty cool. Food portions/size seem small for the price, but it wasn't too bad.

VIP theatres are great, but I wouldn't bother with one for the majority of movies.

Quick

Banned
VIP theatres are great, but I wouldn't bother with one for the majority of movies.

Same here. I'd save trips to the VIP theatre for big movies. I wanted to do it for Age of Ultron, but I couldn't get some of my friends on board with it.

Star Wars was the perfect movie for it, IMO.

Maybe Civil War or Batman v. Superman next year.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. I'd save trips to the VIP theatre for big movies. I wanted to do it for Age of Ultron, but I couldn't get some of my friends on board with it.

Star Wars was the perfect movie for it, IMO.

Maybe Civil War or Batman v. Superman next year.

I saw Age of Ultron at a VIP theatre. I wanted to do it for Star Wars but it was not playing at the VIP theatre near me.

Civil War would be good at the VIP.

I was at a VIP cinema for the fist time for Star Wars on Friday, and it was actually pretty cool. Food portions/size seem small for the price, but it wasn't too bad.

So how does VIP work anyway? They just opened VIP at Yonge and Eglinton and its a blessed 5 minute walk away from my apartment. Do I pay 2000 scene points just for the seat or does it come with some other stuff?

Quick

Banned
So how does VIP work anyway? They just opened VIP at Yonge and Eglinton and its a blessed 5 minute walk away from my apartment. Do I pay 2000 scene points just for the seat or does it come with some other stuff?

You're paying for a seat. You pay for food separately.

To add to the VIP talk, it's 19+ only, the seats are wide with a middle armrest thing you can move if you're there with someone, tons of legroom, smallish capacity.

It's pretty great.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
To add to the VIP talk, it's 19+ only, the seats are wide with a middle armrest thing you can move if you're there with someone, tons of legroom, smallish capacity.

It's pretty great.
If only really go for big big films. Other stuff I'm fine with the regular experience though I'm finding the regular experience is getting annoying with people kicking chairs, using their phones, and generally being a pain in the neck.

explodet

To those who've done the VIP, have you had any issues with people using their cell phones in the theater?

I'm not allowed to see Star Wars unless the environment is distraction-free.

Eleuin

To those who've done the VIP, have you had any issues with people using their cell phones in the theater?

I don't think banning cellphones would go over well. They just have the same reminder to turn them off before the movie starts and I had no problems during my viewing.

mr.rager

Not really a fan of the 72-10s. The leather throws me off, I like the mesh of the regular 11s better. Same thing with the iridescent patent leather, it looks so weird to me.

ahdurian

you're not allowed, or you just won't?
majority of the time people aren't douchebags and won't touch their phones in the theatre

explodet

Thanks for the responses, all.

Let's just say if it was up to me, I'd get cheap seats and wouldn't give a shit if in the middle of the movie a fistfight broke out between a fan who saw the movie 4 times and another fan who believed Mara Jade shouldn't have been sacrificed by JJ Abrams, and leave it there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really think VIP is worth it because you're paying more for a smaller screen and a worse sound system. Oh and to have someone bring beer to you I guess.

I remember hearing about a place in Toronto that was ripping off the Alamo Drafthouse experience, but I'm surprised no one has just outright done the first run Drafthouse experience.

Didn't even know we had VIP cinemas here. Since when? Now gotta get 4D cinemas. Furious 7 in 4D was the best.

Yes that's right. You can smell the burning tire rubber in a Furious 7 4D cinema.
We've had the rumble seat things in Toronto for a few years at Paramount/Scotiabank and at the one in Scarborough. It's really dumb and maybe worth experiencing once you have enough points to get a free movie (it costs like 25 bucks for a D-Box+3D ticket). The actual spray/smell gimmick is pretty dumb, at least based on what people told me though.

Thanks for the tip. That movie is what I'm watching instead of Star Wars.

edit: my wife just informed me she wants to see Star Wars with me so I guess I'll be seeing both
It's a pain that it's coming out on Christmas. lol
The only reason to watch it now is for the 70mm print, considering what happened today.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The only good thing about the VIP screens is that it's like the only way to get a decent 2D screen with reserved seating these days. I just see it as a 2D tax, which given my desperation to not see 3D films, is okay for me.

We've had the rumble seat things in Toronto for a few years at Paramount/Scotiabank and at the one in Scarborough. It's really dumb and maybe worth experiencing once you have enough points to get a free movie (it costs like 25 bucks for a D-Box+3D ticket).

Yeah, I saw one of the Hobbit movies in the D-Box. Would not do that again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
sooooo, i bought some soylent for fun lol
But it's made of people...!

Now, what can I do to troll you here...
friedchicken.jpg
?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If eating people made it warmer outside, you'd eat an family twice per day.
Probably taste better than Hero Burger...

Sigh...boss says we gotta come in for a few days this week instead of working from home. Great. I show up and my other coworkers for whatever reason decide to work from home too.

I should so totally have an office chair race...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
sooooo, i bought some soylent for fun lol
Have you started farting yet?

The only good thing about the VIP screens is that it's like the only way to get a decent 2D screen with reserved seating these days. I just see it as a 2D tax, which given my desperation to not see 3D films, is okay for me.
Might as well just buy the BD when it comes out though. lol
I think I only go VIP when it's some foreign/indie movie and Varsity VIP is the only place that has it.

Yeah, I saw one of the Hobbit movies in the D-Box. Would not do that again.
I think only Gravity was worth it... and just barely.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-has-spent-60k-on-ads-saying-uberx-illegal-1.2709347

The City of Toronto has spent $60,000 to date on a multi-platform advertising campaign telling residents that UberX is illegal, according to a report from staff.
The campaign includes ads in daily commuter newspapers, screens in the PATH system, and tweets from a city-operated Twitter account. There are also plans for additional ads in French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Hindi and other non-English newspapers over the next several months.
In a statement posted to the City of Toronto’s website, staff writes that UberX exists outside of the city’s existing bylaws until they undergo an overhaul sometime this spring.
“Until council changes the regulations permitting vehicles other than licensed taxicabs and limousines, UberX is not in compliance with city bylaws. UberX is not permitted to operate in Toronto.”
On Sept. 30, council amended the municipal code to include Uber in its regulatory framework for taxis and limousines.
The amendment states that only licensed brokers can connect passengers with taxicabs and limousines, essentially making UberX, where drivers use private vehicles to ferry passengers, illegal.
On Dec. 9, hundreds of cab drivers occupied Nathan Phillips Square and later blocked the intersection of Bay and Queen streets for several hours, demanding the city take action against UberX drivers operating in the city.
Frustrated cab drivers met with Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders the next day. After the meeting, Saunders said police would continue to take action against UberX drivers if the few existing cases winding through the courts resulted in convictions.

Quick

Banned
Which specific members of the municipal government are they referring to when they say "City of Toronto"? Or is it something that's actually supported across the board?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"and asks residents to make informed decisions before they ride"

I did make an informed decision. i made sure never to take a taxi because they're fucking reckless and don't obey the laws of the road
I keep reading about bad cab experiences, but I've never had one... even when the fair was like three minute, 8 buck ride.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I have three gripes with cabs:

1. How they either don't take credit cards or mysteriously all their machines are broken. I don't want nor need to carry tons of cash on me just because of a cab ride.

2. Refusing to take me somewhere because it's "out of their way".

3. Agreeing to one price and then trying to change it midway through the ride.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I want to attend the NBA all star weekend festivities coming this February...

ohhhhhhhhh

Word? As a season seat holder I have a very slim opportunity to buy tickets for everything at face value...I doubt I'll be able to though as from what I understand they broke all the season seat holders into having specific days they can try to purchase them so I'll be going against other season seat holders on the same day.

Much better than going against tens of thousands but still going against hundreds of people.

Word? As a season seat holder I have a very slim opportunity to buy tickets for everything at face value...I doubt I'll be able to though as from what I understand they broke all the season seat holders into having specific days they can try to purchase them so I'll be going against other season seat holders on the same day.

Much better than going against tens of thousands but still going against hundreds of people.

I thought it was based on how long you've been a season ticket holder?

Anyway, I laugh whenever someone says they are going to get tickets and I tell them they better make friends with an NBA sponsor or pay an obscene amount on stubhub.....and then they think they'll be able to get tickets off stubhub for a couple hundred dollars haha

Top Bottom