• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I passed on getting tickets to all the events. 2 years ago I was super hype about this but now that it's getting closer I just don't care and can't justify to myself paying the money for what will be a lackluster event.

I think I got spoiled on the Leafs/Wings Winter Classic. :(

edit: OMG I just saw the news about the dollar dropping below 70 cents! $100 games will feel like a god send when we're paying $120 for them.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I passed on getting tickets to all the events. 2 years ago I was super hype about this but now that it's getting closer I just don't care and can't justify to myself paying the money for what will be a lackluster event.

I think I got spoiled on the Leafs/Wings Winter Classic. :(

edit: OMG I just saw the news about the dollar dropping below 70 cents! $100 games will feel like a god send when we're paying $120 for them.
Yeah I recall you said the WC was pretty good even if it was cold. It helped that we beat them too...

I honestly just hope they don't increase the price of gaems even more. I might even resort to free mobile gaems. D:

Pacbois

Hey guys, I'll be visting from Paris to Montreal and Toronto in march. I'll stay around a week in both cities and I'll be hosted by a friend in Toronto.
That said I need to know a few things :

-First, how cold are we talking in average in mid-late march ? I know it's going to be cold and maybe snowy.
-What's the best way of traveling from Montreal to Toronto ? Train or bus or rideshare ? How much are we talking ? Do I need to book far in advance ?
-BTW are trains/buses reliable ? i'm flying back from Montreal at 7pm and I want to know if it's doable on the same day or if it's better to get back to Montreal the day before.
-What are cool things to do ? Gaming related (like idk a barcade or events ?) would be great.
-I want to attend indie/punk concerts, so if you have cool spots and shows to recommend that would be awesome.
-I might also want to attend a NBA or NHL game. How much that would cost me ? Is there a good way to grab tickets on the grey market for a good price ?
-Also bars and restaurants recommendations.

If you guys would like to meet-up that would be really cool !
Thanks in advance guys !

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
-First, how cold are we talking in average in mid-late march ? I know it's going to be cold and maybe snowy.
= to be honest, the weather has been kind of unpredictable, but just expect shitty snow and cold just to be safe. Today was probably the worst day this season and it may get worse unless El Niño changes it.

-What's the best way of traveling from Montreal to Toronto ? Train or bus or rideshare ? How much are we talking ? Do I need to book far in advance ?
= bus or train are cheaper. I prefer train cause of power and wifi.

-BTW are trains/buses reliable ? i'm flying back from Montreal at 7pm and I want to know if it's doable on the same day or if it's better to get back to Montreal the day before.

= as reliable as it can be considering the weather. I refer the train cause you can leave and arrive downtown in both cities so you don't need to take a cab or transit from far out.

-What are cool things to do ? Gaming related (like idk a barcade or events ?) would be great.
= Gaming related...hmm...can't really think of one.

-I want to attend indie/punk concerts, so if you have cool spots and shows to recommend that would be awesome.
= We always have good shows but someone who goes to those can answer.

-I might also want to attend a NBA or NHL game. How much that would cost me ? Is there a good way to grab tickets on the grey market for a good price ?

= Leafs tickets are pretty easy to get for a reasonable price on game day if it's just one person. Otherwise you can try scrapers...I don't have a exact price though.

= check the op. Would help if you had a particular preference.

= we're "trying" for once a month so you'd have to tell us exactly when you're here.

dluu13

Hey guys, I'll be visting from Paris to Montreal and Toronto in march. I'll stay around a week in both cities and I'll be hosted by a friend in Toronto.

Thanks in advance guys !

It's a bit hard to say how cold it'll be in mid-late March seeing as how the weather this year has been strangely warm (it was 7 deg a couple days ago). My suggestion is bring a bunch of thin layers and then it will be easy to adjust.

I've never taken the bus from Toronto to Montreal, but I have taken Megabus, and if you book in advance it can be quite cheap. I randomly picked a day in March for Toronto to Montreal and it was $10. Last time I took them from Toronto to Kingston, the bus was clean and new, and they have wifi but GAF is blocked for some reason.

I haven't been to that many bars, but there are a few around the university with good beer selections, such as Prenup, Village Idiot, and Sin and Redemption. I imagine there are similar types of pubs elsewhere downtown.

We also have TO-GAF meetups where we go to a bar and talk about/play some games and then move over to get late night food afterwards. Maybe one will get organized that will coincide with when you are here.

Have fun!

krae_man

Weather could be -10 to +10. It's impossible to predict.

If price is an issue, use Megabus.com If you book quickly enough, you can get a ticket for $1. Right now you can only book up to March 12th, if you're trip's after that start F5ing their site now.

Depends on when your flight is. Weather or an accident can delay a bus/train by a few hours. Day before is probably safer but if your bus/train is going to get there 5-6 hours before your flight leaves, you'll probably be fine.

TO GAF Meetup! let us know when you are free and we can arrange something!

Otherwise I don't know, Pladium?

-CN Tower

-Royal Ontario Museam

-Kave_mans' Coors Lite museum

Just see what you fancy on ticketmaster.ca

Leafs: $100 to your first born
Raptors: $30 to your first born

Again use ticketmaster.ca. Click the resale tab for season ticket holders selling extras. Might find a deal or better seating options.

Locals can answer better.

TO GAF is best Meetup GAF. Let us know when you are free and we can arrange something

Thanks in advance guys !

Money you don't waste on boring All Star events can be used for playoff tickets :D

I still think it's funny that the ASG is on Valentine's Day

Pacbois

Thanks guys, I'll probably be in Toronto from the 20/21 of march to the 29/30 !

(Edit) Looks like I can't book Via Rail tickets from France so I'll probably go with Megabus.

Quadratic

Thanks guys, I'll probably be in Toronto from the 20/21 of march to the 29/30 !

(Edit) Looks like I can't book Via Rail tickets from France so I'll probably go with Megabus.

If you're looking for an interesting bar with pinball and arcade machines: http://www.blogto.com/bars/get-well-toronto

You might have to shank someone to get time on a machine though. It can get very crowded there on weekends.

If you're into Esports we're still waiting for our Meltdown location to open. There's a Montreal location in the works too. Unknown if they'll be open by the time you visit.

If you're looking for musical events check our free entertainment weekly paper for listings: https://nowtoronto.com/music

Eleuin

"Once [the loonie] reaches this level," Doyle said, "it should remain subdued through [the end of] 2018 and potentially even longer."

giphy.gif

KC-Slater

I'm new to Toronto-GAF, so apologies if this has been discussed...

I was walking down College St. west recently, and saw that there was an eSports bar opening up, Meltdown. Has anyone heard of this chain before?

Aso, has anyone checked out NightOwl on college? I pass by there a lot, and see they are some to a SFIV cabinet. Any impressions?

Also, hi Toronto-GAF!

N° 2048

just googled Hol Food and wow. do you ever eat anything else or does the one shake suffice?

I am actually starting tomorrow. It's pretty interesting, eh? It's better than Soylent it seems. I will still eat solid food but minimal. It's a huge bonus that there is 125G of protein per 2000 calories for Hol Foods.

I finally saw the 70mm extended cut of Hateful Eight last night at Varsity. Great fucking movie!

Since it's a Tarantino movie, it made me think back to this classic line from Jackie Brown:

CuLuLTV.jpg

Kraftwerk

I am actually starting tomorrow. It's pretty interesting, eh? It's better than Soylent it seems. I will still eat solid food but minimal. It's a huge bonus that there is 125G of protein per 2000 calories for Hol Foods.

Can you post a link. I'm failing at finding their website.

I'm new to Toronto-GAF, so apologies if this has been discussed...

I was walking down College St. west recently, and saw that there was an eSports bar opening up, Meltdown. Has anyone heard of this chain before?

Aso, has anyone checked out NightOwl on college? I pass by there a lot, and see they are some to a SFIV cabinet. Any impressions?

Also, hi Toronto-GAF!

Check out A&C. I used to play fighting games there.

gappvembe

So I might make my way to Toronto for the first time in April. Avantasia is playing the Queen Elizabeth Theater on April 13. This is only the second time they have ever toured in North America, playing Toronto last time. This is one of only 3 dates. I don't even know ticket prices yet, although buying them now would eliminate the cost later.

I would drive (about 7ish hours). The other close date is in New York, but that is a 12ish hour drive. Coming from south west Michigan.

My real only apprehension is my wedding is April 27th, which I fly out April 22nd for.

It's just everything is happening in April.

I'm not sure Avantasia will be back here.
My SO seems ok with this.

Any suggestions on where to stay keep cost downs?
It'd be drive there, Rock, sleep, drive home.

Saw this groupon, thought it's tempting, 30 mins from the venue.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-the-glenerin-inn-spa-3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9aqFbuFx-k

dluu13

I just came home with Empanadas from Kensington..fuuuuuuu already breaking the rules.

It's really a shame that I live so close to Kensington but I haven't eaten anything from there. What's your guys' suggestion on the first place I should try?

I might try and stop my friends from going to their usual restaurants this Friday to try out something there.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I might make my way to Toronto for the first time in April. Avantasia is playing the Queen Elizabeth Theater on April 13. This is only the second time they have ever toured in North America, playing Toronto last time. This is one of only 3 dates. I don't even know ticket prices yet, although buying them now would eliminate the cost later.

I would drive (about 7ish hours). The other close date is in New York, but that is a 12ish hour drive. Coming from south west Michigan.

My real only apprehension is my wedding is April 27th, which I fly out April 22nd for.

It's just everything is happening in April.

I'm not sure Avantasia will be back here.
My SO seems ok with this.

Any suggestions on where to stay keep cost downs?
It'd be drive there, Rock, sleep, drive home.

Saw this groupon, thought it's tempting, 30 mins from the venue.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-the-glenerin-inn-spa-3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9aqFbuFx-k

That spa is in Mississauga, a thirty to forty minute drive from downtown Toronto
Just FYI

Maybe try Airbnb?

SIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMSSIGNALPROBLEMS

Sober

Okay had a cup of HK style milk tea today at a really dumpy hole-in-the-wall and it was good. At least compared to other places I didn't really like them.

Do I secretly have bad taste????

DO I SECRETLY LIKE COORS LITE??!

Quadratic

It's really a shame that I live so close to Kensington but I haven't eaten anything from there. What's your guys' suggestion on the first place I should try?

I might try and stop my friends from going to their usual restaurants this Friday to try out something there.

I love tacos so my recommendation is Seven Lives http://www.yelp.ca/biz/seven-lives-tacos-y-mariscos-toronto

It's a tiny hole in the wall so maybe trying it solo later might be recommended.

Quadratic

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it super busy? It's just the 3 or 4 of us anyway so hopefully it won't be too bad.

It's hard to gauge. Sometimes there's a lineup outside and sometimes it's empty. It's a place for a quick bite and go. There's only a picnic table and a stand up counter off to the side. Stan mentioned on the previous page that he got Empanadas. I wonder if he went here: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/jumbo-empanadas-toronto I like the place a lot. It's a Chilean style and I really like the salsa there. The guys across the street at the butcher shop I believe are Portuguese style.

Pacbois

They started in Paris and I used to hang out at their original location a few years ago. It's not really for me, I'm not really into e-sports and they have a sort of dudebro atmosphere which is not my thing. They have a bunch of PCs with Starcraft, LoL and Dota and consoles mostly for Street Fighter. They also show a lot of eSports tournaments. They're getting pretty big I guess now ? They're all across France and Europe and seeing them in NA is not that surprising to me I guess ? Especially since they sponsored some big names (I remember that Luffy who won Evo 2 years ago was sponsored by them)

Looks like I'll be staying on Gladstone Ave between Dundas W and College Street. Looks like those last two streets are pretty active with a bunch of bars.

KC-Slater

Looks like I'll be staying on Gladstone Ave between Dundas W and College Street. Looks like those last two streets are pretty active with a bunch of bars.

Thanks for the info. I may check it out at some point just because it's so close, but I can't see it being a place I would regularly frequent, based on what you're telling me.

The area you're staying in is great--lots of close bars, restaurants and interesting stores.

Top Bottom