• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dluu13

Yeah, I talked to a guy at the bank and he said there's not too much point in contributing to the RRSP when I won't be over any limit anyway. Either way, I contribute to my TFSA so it's not like I don't invest anything.

Lexxism

I read that to make the contribution to RRSP worth it, you must at least have 40k annually to make it worth it? If that's really the case, I'm likely not going to contribute on it and just focus on TFSA.

krae_man

I read that to make the contribution to RRSP worth it, you must at least have 40k annually to make it worth it? If that's really the case, I'm likely not going to contribute on it and just focus on TFSA.

That 40K number is nonsense or old, the first tax bracket goes up to 45k.

One of the benefits of RRSP's is they reduce your income and you pay less tax. Ideally, you are going to make buckets of money and pay a high tax rate when you are young. Then be in a lower tax bracket when you are older(and have additional tax credits for being old). That lower income will also be viable since you will have your house paid off or whatever.

So you're tax credit will be in say the 29% bracket when you put the money in the RRSP, but then when you take it out, you pay tax on it in the 15% bracket.

You get more of a benefit from putting money in the RRSP if the tax you pay when you take it out is lower then the savings when you put it in, but that's not the only benefit.

If you put money in your RRSP, you can invest your tax savings.

Say you put $5k in your RRSP and get $1k extra on your tax return because of it. If you put that $1k in your RRSP, that $1k can grow considerably over 40 years.

The Benefits of TFSA's is that the interest is tax free where as with RRSP's it's deferred.

What is better in the long run all depends on if you reinvest your tax refund, and the rate of tax you save when you put it in vs what you pay when you take it out. Which will depend on what kind of tax credits are available to you when you retire, what income sources you have(pension, are you going to work part time etc).

It's not simple and you really won't know now what would have been better in the long run since you don't know what tax rates/credits will be like in the future.

Do a bit of both maybe.

Pacbois

Looking at the weather for my trip and looks like all the cold weather apparel I got will not be very useful. In a way it's good because it will be better to explore and hang out outside but I also wanted to see some snow.

I saw people mentionning that I'll be here for easter week-end when discussing potential meet-ups like it will be a problem. Is easter more a thing in Canada ? Like Good Friday is not a holiday for me (Easter Monday is though). Will everything be closed that week-end ?

zroid

Banned
Here, Good Friday is the real holiday, and Easter Monday is a semi-holiday. A few things like schools are closed but mostly people are working. Stuff will mostly be closed on Friday and Sunday. Tourist attractions should be open tho, including some malls.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the weather for my trip and looks like all the cold weather apparel I got will not be very useful. In a way it's good because it will be better to explore and hang out outside but I also wanted to see some snow.

I saw people mentionning that I'll be here for easter week-end when discussing potential meet-ups like it will be a problem. Is easter more a thing in Canada ? Like Good Friday is not a holiday for me (Easter Monday is though). Will everything be closed that week-end ?
You want to see snow?! Smart people here take trips down south to get away from it. D:

Good Friday is the holiday. Monday isn't a real holiday though some of us do get it off too. Which is why I'm a bit concerned about people showing up and possible places available.

We really should try another place these days...goddamn Victory and their goddamn cider...

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Well, we just had a snowstorm. The cold weather apparel just might come in handy. We basically went from 10C one day to -10C the next last week. Our weather has been a bit unpredictable the past few years. As others have said, Good Friday is a holiday while Easter Monday is a holiday mainly for government workers. Banks, post office, schools etc will be closed.

Did everyone like St Louis?

I liked St Louis fine. Also, I think it's closer to the KFC with the rice balls.

In other news, I have a phone interview Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Did everyone like St Louis?
I thought it was fine but we were pretty cramped and were running out of space and it was crowded that night for some reason.
I liked St Louis fine. Also, I think it's closer to the KFC with the rice balls.

In other news, I have a phone interview Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
You know a bunch of other Korean places in Koreatown have that, right? :D

Good luck on the phone interview. If you get the job...ummm...Coors Lite on you?

I haven't been there before and I've had a friend tell me about it once. I'd like to give it a try.
Food and beer were ok. It was just a bit cramped and was surprisingly full since that mall is pretty much dead all the time.

Pacbois

You want to see snow?! Smart people here take trips down south to get away from it. D:

Good Friday is the holiday. Monday isn't a real holiday though some of us do get it off too. Which is why I'm a bit concerned about people showing up and possible places available.

We really should try another place these days...goddamn Victory and their goddamn cider...

While it's not really "down south" Paris is not really a snowy place, like this year I only saw a small snowfall that didn't stick at all. I sorta like snow (probably because I only see it once every two or three years). But I get why people who have to deal with it for months hate it.

I don't have stuff planned for my stay yet (that will probably depends on my friend hosting), but if a big meet-up is too tricky because of easter why not just do a small improvised one ?

Also I just realised that you have to tip in Canada and that will probably be the worst part of the whole trip. I'm terrible with numbers :(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
You know a bunch of other Korean places in Koreatown have that, right? :D

Good luck on the phone interview. If you get the job...ummm...Coors Lite on you?

Not the place we've gone to the past few times! :p

And thanks. I'm hopin it goes well.

While it's not really "down south" Paris is not really a snowy place, like this year I only saw a small snowfall that didn't stick at all. I sorta like snow (probably because I only see it once every two or three years). But I get why people who have to deal with it for months hate it.

I don't have stuff planned for my stay yet (that will probably depends on my friend hosting), but if a big meet-up is too tricky because of easter why not just do a small improvised one ?

Also I just realised that you have to tip in Canada and that will probably be the worst part of the whole trip. I'm terrible with numbers :(

I don't think it will be a problem to get a meet up going. We once had a "mini" meetup the week before the actual meetup that had about 15 people come. We're just figuring out possible places.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm just worrying bout nothing really; every one we've had had at least 10 people.

Tip 18-25% on the pre tax amount and that's if you feel like it. There's no law though some people can get prickly about if if you stiff them :D

Not the place we've gone to the past few times! :p

And thanks. I'm hopin it goes well.

I don't think it will be a problem to get a meet up going. We once had a "mini" meetup the week before the actual meetup that had about 15 people come. We're just figuring out possible places.
I wonder if it does...you never said anything about them so I didn't bother to ask. I know at least one of the places on that street does because while we were walking to the KFC place I glanced into a window and some some girls having it with the flimsy gloves and all.

dluu13

The receipt will have the tax on it, which will be about 13%. Just add that amount and a little bit more and you'll have 15%.

Pacbois

Is it okay to like ask the waiter/barman how much the tip should be while mentionning that i'm not from a tipping country ?

I'm so used to simply get a receipt and pay the amount on it without adding anything and i can't even add percentages mentally (I suck). I guess there might be an app than can help me but that's feels awkward to pull my phone everytime I have to pay for something.

Is it okay to like ask the waiter/barman how much the tip should be while mentionning that i'm not from a tipping country ?

I'm so used to simply get a receipt and pay the amount on it without adding anything and i can't even add percentages mentally (I suck). I guess there might be an app than can help me but that's feels awkward to pull my phone everytime I have to pay for something.

15 percent is 1.50 every 10 bucks, and yes, it's ok to ask but don't be surprised if they say 18 percent

If you pay by card at most places you will have the option to enter a tip based on %age

And if you are from France you'll probably be paying much less for food despite having to add a tip, Paris prices were insane when I visited lol

dluu13

There are plenty of people who pull out their phones to calculate tips. That's how asinine it is.

Pacbois

15 percent is 1.50 every 10 bucks, and yes, it's ok to ask but don't be surprised if they say 18 percent

If you pay by card at most places you will have the option to enter a tip based on %age

And if you are from France you'll probably be paying much less for food despite having to add a tip, Paris prices were insane when I visited lol

Honestly prices in Paris are basically mostly based on if you are in a touristy area or not... Like I can easily go to a bunch of cheap places but they're very local-ish. Like there's definitly a tourist tax...

Excuse me good sir, I'm not from here, what is the standard tipping percentage in Canada?

umm 150%..yeah...

Haha. I'll probably notice that, especially with the 18% in mind.

It's going to be sorta weird. Like I almost never tip unless it's really good service or if it's just rounding up to don't have to deal with change.

Also does tip apply to fast-food places ?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Also does tip apply to fast-food places ?
No, it doesn't. Thankfully.

Even the coffee places it's optional. They'll have a container in front usually with some stupid meme, quote, or unfunny witticism to convince you to give them money.

Unless you're a regular and they treat you well, don't bother.

Quick

Banned
If you're actually receiving service - restaurants with wait staff (if you're dining in), food delivery, or anything similar - then it's usually customary to tip. Certainly, on the very basis of tipping, you wouldn't have to, but it's just been ingrained to us to tip something, unless you're receiving absolutely horrible service.

ahdurian

i usually tip 15% depending on service
more if i really liked the service, or if i know the people
less if they were crap

like some Korean restaurants where I know the family members who own it, or who know my family, i'd usually give a bigger tip than i would if i was just eating at a Westernized restaurant with friends

zroid

Banned
I might have to finally visit Japan when that Nintendo theme park opens

hopefully the dollar won't be completely shit by then...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
i usually tip 15% depending on service
more if i really liked the service, or if i know the people
less if they were crap

like some Korean restaurants where I know the family members who own it, or who know my family, i'd usually give a bigger tip than i would if i was just eating at a Westernized restaurant with friends

Yeah I usually go big if I know the person. Though that's pretty rare to be honest.

I might have to finally visit Japan when that Nintendo theme park opens

hopefully the dollar won't be completely shit by then...
*sobs*

Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been one yet. I'm sure it'd do amazing even in a place outside Japan. I'd love for it to be in Toronto (replace Wonderland) then for sure we'd give people a big reason to come here.

We aren't known for beaches, food, sports, sights, or live entertainment as other cities have those and much better ones. You'd think there'd be more of a draw here, but the only thing we seem to draw is the ire of the small towns who keep thinking they don't want to pay for stuff in the big city.

Edit: on an unrelated note, goddamn Grim Dawn is sucking me in like no other game recently. It's so goddamn repetitive and the graphics are so bleh, but it's mindless violent fun at least and you really do turn into death incarnate.

Edit2: ok, Cripplegate, I give the mermaid a pass. Bout you?

Kraftwerk

Goddammit... Took some soup, medication and small stuff to a friend's house since he has a bad cold... And now I have a cold... Goddamnit.

ahdurian

yeah, it's been going around
i've been sick since last Sunday. really bad cough and sneezing. lots of phlegm and mucus. was even puking yesterday and today anytime i eat any solid foods
it sucks balls right now

and i still have to work too

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Didn't realize today was the 182 anniversary of Toronto being incorporated until @norm tweeted it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TTC is a nightmare between Lawrence Station and St George this weekend, which means my main street (Bathurst) is a clusterfuck of shuttlebuses.

Over a 30 minute wait between the Bathurst 7 bus, I time it so I head out around 5 minutes before it's expected to arrive. Lots of waiting there when I go down (over a dozen), normally a 2-3 person stop, at most, north of St Clair. Two 7s are coming at once, a short turn at St Clair West (2 stops) and another regular 7 heading to Bathurst Station.

Now of course all the people at this stop want to get on the regular 7. Short turn 7 pulls over to let off passengers and then the regular 7 just blows past the stop. People that have been there half an hour are livid. Another bus came 10 minutes later, but that's effectively a 40 minute wait between buses. @TTCHelps just sort of shrugs at things like that.

Extra nightmare: Bank gave me a roll of toonies today.. turned out to be packed with loonies. Went back and exchange it with no issue, but now I'll be paranoid as fuck when it comes to getting rolls that I can't see all the way through.

Holy shit the amber alert override on Rogers freaked me out while watching the walking dead.

That's the first time I have seen it.

It's a great idea but they need a system that I can dismiss after the first couple of times. It's been running for 45 minutes now with no new information.

ahdurian

wait...you didn't know they could do Amber Alert overrides on channels? really?

I remember seeing that shit when I was little when watching YTV and MuchMusic, but never knew what they were until getting to high school

I remember seeing that shit when I was little when watching YTV and MuchMusic, but never knew what they were until getting to high school

I have been watching tv for my whole life and have never seen it done like this. It's not the normal method I have seen in the past. I was watching a recording of the walking dead on my Rogers PVR and it even overrides that.

Emergency broadcast system is different than this

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have been watching tv for my whole life and have never seen it done like this. It's not the normal method I have seen in the past. I was watching a recording of the walking dead on my Rogers PVR and it even overrides that.
This system has been up and running for a year. The CRTC mandated this new system and I remember when they were testing it it ran for more than an hour. It's fucking annoying and I now turn my TV off when there's one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/emergency-alert-system-now-active-in-canada-1.3023304

This system has been up and running for a year. The CRTC mandated this new system and I remember when they were testing it it ran for more than an hour. It's fucking annoying and I now turn my TV off when there's one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/emergency-alert-system-now-active-in-canada-1.3023304

That's the problem with it. You're not going to stay tuned if it makes it impossible to watch TV. Much better to run the banner continuously and maybe run the sound only the first time.

It's a great idea that is poorly executed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's a slight inconvenience. I have no problem with it.

Looks like it did it's job considering you guys know what it's about and what's going on.

Pretty much the entire point of it.

I had my TV on in the background and kept hearing that weird noise until I finally looked and saw what it was for.

Mission accomplished.

It's a slight inconvenience. I have no problem with it.

Looks like it did it's job considering you guys know what it's about and what's going on.

Pretty much the entire point of it.

I had my TV on in the background and kept hearing that weird noise until I finally looked and saw what it was for.

Mission accomplished.

The problem is the only reason I came on here to mention it is due to the fact that it was the first time I saw it. Now that everyone knows it runs an hour with noise, rendering the service useless, I am far more likely just to turn off my tv or play a game after I read the message once. If there is an update with important info, I won't see it.

Maybe pace the message or play it with sound once every ten minutes. Just make sure it's a scenario that won't have people completely tune out. It's a great idea though. I would rather have it than not.

Also, they should be spamming cellphones every two minutes. Far more effective and wider reach.

Renewed

I imagine the updates can be done as scrolling across the screen somewhere with a beeping noise they play once.

Also, they should be spamming cellphones every two minutes. Far more effective and wider reach.

If I can get severe weather warnings, I should be able to get Amber Alert notices.

I'm kinda surprised they don't already do this. Google notifies me of bad shitstorm weather a day or two in advance now a days. Wonder if they'll start doing it for other stuff like amber alerts. I'd also appreciate it for subway delays, at least during certain times of the day

I'm kinda surprised they don't already do this. Google notifies me of bad shitstorm weather a day or two in advance now a days. Wonder if they'll start doing it for other stuff like amber alerts. I'd also appreciate it for subway delays, at least during certain times of the day

I'm pretty sure I've had amber alerts pushed to my phone before, I know they do it a lot in the states

Top Bottom