• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dluu13

Hmm, I was at chatime on Dundas about half an hour ago and I think I saw somebody sitting at a table who looked like somebody I've seen before at a GAF meetup, but that was at my first or second so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I was at chatime on Dundas about half an hour ago and I think I saw somebody sitting at a table who looked like somebody I've seen before at a GAF meetup, but that was at my first or second so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
Nah. Couldn't have been fuzzy. He's a robot and doesn't drink tea.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this rain. Where's the snoooooow? Damn you #TeamUnseasonablyWarm

I will castrate Kuro if we have a shitty rainy spring and summer.
8Kd1jZO.gif

Them salty tears...!

I just came back. Mostly spent the time waiting to get moved from room to room until I got personally called up to set up another appointment. I have to go back same time tomorrow.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So who is actually planning the next meet up seeing as it will be in a couple of weeks?
I think Evilmario said he would but maybe krae will? 3/3 thus far. We can do it!
just stand up and say "Down with the monarchy" and you will be excused of jury duty.
Just grow a beard, wear camo, bring a black backpack, and when you get there yell "WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T CANADA HAVE THE PHYSICAL COPY OF GRAVITY RUSH" and you'll be excused of jury duty and possibly thrown into jail.
I guess I can do it.

St Louis and rice balls good for everyone?
Reservations, please...
Maybe we can go to Pogue Mahone or Mick E Flynn's again (or we can leave it up to a vote for something else). Both are close to home of hot taste?

dluu13

Where can I go downtown to get a presto card? Or is it order online only?

You should be able to get it at Union. There are a few other stations listed on the website too.
https://www.prestocard.ca/en-US/Pages/ContentPages/CSO.aspx#TTC
Davisville Customer Service Centre - 1900 Yonge Street, Toronto
Gateway Newstands - Bathurst Station - 819 Bathurst Street, Toronto*
Gateway Newstands - Bloor-Yonge Station (North & South) - 20 Bloor Street East, Toronto*
Gateway Newstands - Broadview Station - 769 Broadview Avenue, Toronto*
Gateway Newstands - Dundas Station (North & South) - 3 Dundas Street East, Toronto*
Gateway Newstands - Spadina Station - 6 Spadina Road, Toronto*
Queen's Park Station - Metropass Vending Machine - 129 College St., Toronto*
Union Station - Metropass Vending Machine - 55 Front Street West, Toronto*

I'm not exactly sure what the "preloaded cards only" means though.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Any of you see the limes on the cutting board on Keele street?

I need to know how/why they are there. Anyone?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Probably means you need to buy them with a certain amount of cash on them.
Yeah you don't pay for just the card, you have to load some money on it. Not a bad thing since the card itself is useless without money on it.

It's a step in the right direction but goddamn it's so behind the times...

Also be sure to set up auto refill so you don't have to worry about refilling it yourself all the goddamn time.

In Korea and Hong Kong....any convenience store you can fill it up and you can can use the money on it to buy stuff.

In Japan, you put your info on the card and if you lose it, you can go to a station and have them deactivate your old card and issue you a new one.

Anony

how long does it usually take to find a new job
my work isnt extending my contract/hiring full time

i wish the dollar wasnt shit or else i'd be planning traveling plans right now

Mupod

I've been trying out alternate routes to my new place and discovered there's a beer store right next to a burrito boyz on one of them. Lord give me strength.

On a related note I need to get a gym membership. I can see a 24 hour Goodlife across the street from the window of my house so that's the obvious choice. But now I've got a whole empty basement to play with...might as well get a bench and stuff. I own some weights but a couple months back I brought them into the fitness room in the apartment building - didn't know we were moving at the time. I'm sure nobody will care if I take them out but there's probably a Seinfeld episode plot in that situation somewhere.

We technically still have the apartment until the end of March so maybe I'll go back there and work out, swim etc tomorrow. Every weekend I ask my roommates when we're going to go get the dishwasher/freezer/their beds/dishes etc and it's looking more and more likely that this is being put off until the end of the month. Surely nothing can go wrong with this plan (something went wrong with that plan LAST month when the uhaul got a flat tire).

dluu13

Yeah you don't pay for just the card, you have to load some money on it. Not a bad thing since the card itself is useless without money on it.

It's a step in the right direction but goddamn it's so behind the times...

Also be sure to set up auto refill so you don't have to worry about refilling it yourself all the goddamn time.

In Korea and Hong Kong....any convenience store you can fill it up and you can can use the money on it to buy stuff.

In Japan, you put your info on the card and if you lose it, you can go to a station and have them deactivate your old card and issue you a new one.

Huh, I would have filled it up regardless of whether or not it was required. Vancouver has just rolled out their Compass card for transit too. I'm surprised how much resistance there was against it, especially after having used Octopus in HK and the Go card in Brisbane.

One especially weird comment I got was when I was chatting to my friend about the octopus card and a stranger overheard and said "I know right, it's awesome not like this crappy compass card". That person definitely didn't understand the concept behind incremental improvements.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
how long does it usually take to find a new job
my work isnt extending my contract/hiring full time

i wish the dollar wasnt shit or else i'd be planning traveling plans right now
Depends what kinda job. Companies are always looking for devs. As for retail...?

dluu13

Depends what kinda job. Companies are always looking for devs. As for retail...?

If you're looking for a job related to your major then right now's a good time I think. It's around the time when people who are about to graduate are all applying anyway, so they are all looking to hire people to start in the summer or fall. That being said, there might be some stiff competition because there are so many people applying, but you've got the benefit of having experience for a year or two.

Finished my second and last day of Jury selection. 6 hours of waiting only to get eyed-up by the prosecuters and lawyers and get excused. I was told to not to take it personally but man what a waste of time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, no second interview for me :(

Why is it that after I always figure out ways to say things? Bah.

Keep on looking.
:(
Searching for a job can be a full time job in and of itself. Good luck next time.
Finished my second and last day of Jury selection. 6 hours of waiting only to get eyed-up by the prosecuters and lawyers and get excused. I was told to not to take it personally but man what a waste of time.
Good. It's boring anyways.

Mupod

:(
Searching for a job can be a full time job in and of itself. Good luck next time.

My last job hunt, I only kept showing up for the 'job' that wasn't paying me because it was a place I could focus absolutely on job hunting with no distractions. Also free coffee. It's much easier to get interviews when you're currently employed as well.

When I first moved to Toronto with a huge gap in my employment due to the amazing Sudbury job market I had to work far, far harder. The worst part is that whenever I wasn't working on the job hunt I felt like absolute shit. But it's still an improvement over being in a place where you don't even get callbacks let alone interviews for months on end. Just the fact that there were things I could at least apply for every day helped motivate me.

I think at one point I was going 12 hours a day pounding out cover letters and resumes tailored for every company. I had FF14 doing PVP matchmaking in the other window because I'm a masochist and the 40+ minute queue times were just enough to give me a little 4-5 minute break now and then to let off steam. I ended up just about maxing out my rank in Wolves' Den by the time I got the job which was an absolutely bonkers amount of hours spent in queue.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this Canadian dollar. $80 for The Division is steeeeeeeeep.
If you're paying full price for an Ubi game, you're doing it wrong.
My last job hunt, I only kept showing up for the 'job' that wasn't paying me because it was a place I could focus absolutely on job hunting with no distractions. Also free coffee. It's much easier to get interviews when you're currently employed as well.

When I first moved to Toronto with a huge gap in my employment due to the amazing Sudbury job market I had to work far, far harder. The worst part is that whenever I wasn't working on the job hunt I felt like absolute shit. But it's still an improvement over being in a place where you don't even get callbacks let alone interviews for months on end. Just the fact that there were things I could at least apply for every day helped motivate me.

I think at one point I was going 12 hours a day pounding out cover letters and resumes tailored for every company. I had FF14 doing PVP matchmaking in the other window because I'm a masochist and the 40+ minute queue times were just enough to give me a little 4-5 minute break now and then to let off steam. I ended up just about maxing out my rank in Wolves' Den by the time I got the job which was an absolutely bonkers amount of hours spent in queue.
Reminds me of the time I had off during the recession. What a waste of a year...also thanks a fucking lot to "second career" that told me I had a 90 percent chance to get funding and after I did everything they asked they said I had "too much education".

Mupod

If you're paying full price for an Ubi game, you're doing it wrong.

Reminds me of the time I had off during the recession. What a waste of a year...also thanks a fucking lot to "second career" that told me I had a 90 percent chance to get funding and after I did everything they asked they said I had "too much education".

I came very close to trying for the second career thing out of desperation and going back for a business analyst course. Actually directly led into the Toronto move instead as an offhand suggestion by my brother as an alternative during that conversation. I don't think anyone expected me to pack up and leave within the month but I had to make something happen.

I am still kinda curious about that path though. We literally hired a Business Analyst at work yesterday, maybe I'll talk with him about it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've been trying out alternate routes to my new place and discovered there's a beer store right next to a burrito boyz on one of them. Lord give me strength.
Queen Street in Brampton? I'm working at the new Peel Memorial on the south side of the street right now.

Mupod

Queen Street in Brampton? I'm working at the new Peel Memorial on the south side of the street right now.

Yep. I'm on my way there as we speak. Ate my lunch at like 10:30 because I'm an idiot, stayed over 2 hours late and oh god I'm starving.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Damn this Canadian dollar. $80 for The Division is steeeeeeeeep.
Dude I'll sell you my 2013 FS order for cost that only cost me $40 + tax. It's the PS4 version and I was just going to return it any way. If you don't mind waiting until the meetup in 2 weeks I'll bring it down. If you want to meet up in Scarborough before then that would be fine also.

Yep. I'm on my way there as we speak. Ate my lunch at like 10:30 because I'm an idiot, stayed over 2 hours late and oh god I'm starving.
One thing I like about working in Brampton is that I stop at the Petro on Dixie and Derry on my way home on Fridays and the gas is 7-10 cents cheaper per litre than here.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I came very close to trying for the second career thing out of desperation and going back for a business analyst course. Actually directly led into the Toronto move instead as an offhand suggestion by my brother as an alternative during that conversation. I don't think anyone expected me to pack up and leave within the month but I had to make something happen.

I am still kinda curious about that path though. We literally hired a Business Analyst at work yesterday, maybe I'll talk with him about it.

Depending on what kinda BA they are, they're likely of the gathering requirements and data gathering type. After going to that one class (yes, it was only just one) I'm inclined to believe Junior Mint about just reading the damn book. Speaking of which, if he does come, you should definitely ask him about BA work.

Dude I'll sell you my 2013 FS order for cost that only cost me $40 + tax. It's the PS4 version and I was just going to return it any way. If you don't mind waiting until the meetup in 2 weeks I'll bring it down. If you want to meet up in Scarborough before then that would be fine also.

One thing I like about working in Brampton is that I stop at the Petro on Dixie and Derry on my way home on Fridays and the gas is 7-10 cents cheaper per litre than here.
Damn...back when game prices were reasonable... :'(

You'd...return it to Best Buy...????

Edit: @Junior Mint, if you're looking for a PS4 version, fuzzy is good peoples even if I'd still shoot him on the street if I saw him. If you're looking for PC, you should definitely try the B/S/T thread in gaming community.

Quick

Banned
What are the chances of a parking garage billing me if I didn't pay? They just left the gates open for everyone to leave after an event. This is outside of Toronto.

Anony

ya, i need to update my resume and what not asap

i never feel myself to competitive vs other potential candidates
although i'm ECE, the way i took my courses, i was doing a mix of both computer and electrical subjects and never had a clear focus on a 'specialty'
so i'm left with a jack of all trades, master of none type of skill set (mix of programming languages, database, computer hardware/techsupport, semiconductor physics etc)

also, i dont know what kind of job i want to do still
i'd like to try some business analyst position, but i just don't have any business background, so they probably arent even looking at my resume

dluu13

although i'm ECE, the way i took my courses, i was doing a mix of both computer and electrical subjects and never had a clear focus on a 'specialty'
so i'm left with a jack of all trades, master of none type of skill set (mix of programming languages, database, computer hardware/techsupport, semiconductor physics etc)

i'd like to try some business analyst position, but i just don't have any business background, so they probably arent even looking at my resume

When I hear "jack of all trades" I think of project management, which requires you to know a lot of areas. One of my friends sort of did that with her computer engineering degree too and didn't really specialize in anything. She was aiming for project management though, and she's now working at SAP's office in Vancouver doing that.

And as Kuro said, Junior Mint does BA within IT so your knowledge must have some demand there or in a related field, although your training is not IT.

mr.rager

What are the chances of a parking garage billing me if I didn't pay? They just left the gates open for everyone to leave after an event. This is outside of Toronto.

I'd say zero. Highly doubt they'd look through hours of camera footage to fine people getting in.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely sounds BA though if I were you I'd go DBA or PM

Damn...back when game prices were reasonable... :'(

You'd...return it to Best Buy...????

Edit: @Junior Mint, if you're looking for a PS4 version, fuzzy is good peoples even if I'd still shoot him on the street if I saw him. If you're looking for PC, you should definitely try the B/S/T thread in gaming community.

Thanks guys, appreciate it but unfortunately I have to buy it on PSN so I can game share with my brother. =/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ. Downtown is turning into J Town. Sansotei, Uncle Tetsu, a sushi place, Tsujiri. It was crowded as fuck and I wasn't going to wait 40+ minutes for a green tea dessert.
Edit: Lolwtf. Walking on Yonge and there was one of those people shouting about Jesus. Except in this case, he shouted "GOD DAMN JESUS!" I guess the hesitation would change the meaning. GOD, DAMN JESUS. GOD DAMN, JESUS. GOD DAMN JESUS!

Top Bottom