• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
While I disagreed with pretty much everything he did politically and a lot personally, nobody deserves to die from cancer. RIP and condolences to his family.

dluu13

Wow I had a friend over a couple of days ago and I was just joking about visiting Rob Ford at Mt Sinai as we walked past.

RIP Rob Ford

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I had a friend over a couple of days ago and I was just joking about visiting Rob Ford at Mt Sinai as we walked past.

RIP Rob Ford
Part of the draw of Rob Ford is he may actually have granted them an audience.

A lot of people who voted for him trusted him cause he wasn't your typical politician and would actually listen to people and requests personally even if that meant he was picking up the call while driving :p

dluu13

Part of the draw of Rob Ford is he may actually have granted them an audience.

A lot of people who voted for him trusted him cause he wasn't your typical politician and would actually listen to people and requests personally even if that meant he was picking up the call while driving :p

One of my colleagues had this "serves him right" attitude when I told him the news. Stone cold. Ford definitely wasn't a role model, but he was a personality for sure.

Anyway here's my favorite Ford clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSUlDjABCYc

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
One of my colleagues had this "serves him right" attitude when I told him the news. Stone cold. Ford definitely wasn't a role model, but he was a personality for sure.

Anyway here's my favorite Ford clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSUlDjABCYc
Not sure if he/she had lost someone to cancer but it's no way to go. My old gramps died from cancer and a coworker also died from cancer just last year. It's a pretty horrible thing.

John Blade

RIP to Rob Ford and condolences to his family in this sad time. Just sad he die this early in his life and leave his two children and a wife. Know the feeling of cancer as my mom is fighting it right now. Also, this isn't the time to have the negative feeling at him of what he did when he was the mayor. At the end, he is human and like us we do make mistake how big or small it's in our life. Is they any info if the family will have a public time for the people to say one last goodbye to him?

I think I did okay but I can never really tell. I'll find out by Tuesday if I'm moving on. It's less money than I was making but it's something.

Any update of the job interview?

Barely over a year since he got diagnosed and the cancer just kills him like that. Holy shit, cancer is the worst.

Condolences to his family.

yyzjohn

Banned
Barely over a year since he got diagnosed and the cancer just kills him like that. Holy shit, cancer is the worst.

My cousin was the same. She found out she had cancer in like July-August and then passed away by last March. Just a brutal thing.

yyzjohn

Banned
The lack of empathy from some posters in the Rob Ford thread is really sickening. I didn't like his political views or some of the stuff he did but c'mon he just died of cancer. People can be so shit sometimes.

Sober

The lack of empathy from some posters in the Rob Ford thread is really sickening. I didn't like his political views or some of the stuff he did but c'mon he just died of cancer. People can be so shit sometimes.
You should remember we do happen to be on a video game forum.

zroid

Banned
I mean, I don't feel like we need to respect the dead just because they're dead, but Ford wasn't a bad person. He was flawed and he said and did a lot of bad things, but he doesn't deserve to be treated like a terrorist.

dluu13

I mean, I don't feel like we need to respect the dead just because they're dead, but Ford wasn't a bad person. He was flawed and he said and did a lot of bad things, but he doesn't deserve to be treated like a terrorist.

I remember when Osama bin Laden was killed, the atmosphere was downright exuberant. Obviously I don't like him, but I thought it was a bit much.

I need a bit of help Toronto-Gaf. I seem to have planned my trip opposite the International football. Any idea where I'd be able to watch the Scotland game on Thursday afternoon?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I don't really see it in the thread. There are people that aren't shy about expressing their feelings, but I don't see "He deserved to die of cancer, good riddance posts". Most of the thread is just RIP mentions.

And 'wasn't a bad person' is sort of up to debate. He beat his wife, he drove drunk and high without a care in the world, some of his moves in office hurt the most vulnerable people in the city (transit, community housing, safe injection sites) among just destroying much progress in the city and building walls with his political style. He was a bigot in every sense of the term given his long history with racist, homophobic and sexist comments.

That makes a pretty bad person. Doing and saying bad things makes you a bad person. There are degrees of it. As you say, he's not a terrorist.

Every media outlet is suddenly very respectful because it's what's expected when someone dies, but history shouldn't entirely be revised because he died. And while I'm not posting these comments all over the internet, because what really will it do, but piss people off. Condolences for his family and sympathy for having to go through that cancer is what I can offer.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I need a bit of help Toronto-Gaf. I seem to have planned my trip opposite the International football. Any idea where I'd be able to watch the Scotland game on Thursday afternoon?
Real Sports Bar & Grill?

We broadcast every sport played on the pitch, court or ice and it’s a guarantee you won’t miss a minute of action.
http://realsports.ca/BarAndGrill/Toronto/OurStory/

I'm not sure if they'll be playing the game since it's only a friendly but you should tweet @RealSports and ask. It's right downtown next to the Air Canada Centre.

I don't really see it in the thread. There are people that aren't shy about expressing their feelings, but I don't see "He deserved to die of cancer, good riddance posts". Most of the thread is just RIP mentions.

And 'wasn't a bad person' is sort of up to debate. He beat his wife, he drove drunk and high without a care in the world, some of his moves in office hurt the most vulnerable people in the city (transit, community housing, safe injection sites) among just destroying much progress in the city and building walls with his political style. He was a bigot in every sense of the term given his long history with racist, homophobic and sexist comments.

That makes a pretty bad person. Doing and saying bad things makes you a bad person. There are degrees of it. As you say, he's not a terrorist.

Every media outlet is suddenly very respectful because it's what's expected when someone dies, but history shouldn't entirely be revised because he died. And while I'm not posting these comments all over the internet, because what really will it do, but piss people off. Condolences for his family and sympathy for having to go through that cancer is what I can offer.
I agree and had to bite my tongue at work when people started saying how good he was (funnily enough it was from the non-Toronto residents). I simply said that death doesn't wash away the horrible things he said and did and then made a joke about there being a 21 crack pipe salute in Etobicoke tonight in his honour. I couldn't help myself.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Any update of the job interview?

Haven't heard back but I'm okay with this. There were a couple of things that bothered me. At least I get some practice.

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of March. He died the beginning of June. Given that it was stage 4 lung cancer, I knew he was probably going to die within the year. But I never expected it to be so quickly.

Pacbois

Finally got to Toronto on monday evening and went out a bit yesterday. I got lost in malls & food court, ate a wendy's, thought that queen st must be the coolest is your are in high school. Last night i checked out Get Well and it's a pretty sweet bar. There's a bunch of classic arcade games, the beer is a bit expensive but also really good and overall nice atmosphere.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally got to Toronto on monday evening and went out a bit yesterday. I got lost in malls & food court, ate a wendy's, thought that queen st must be the coolest is your are in high school. Last night i checked out Get Well and it's a pretty sweet bar. There's a bunch of classic arcade games, the beer is a bit expensive but also really good and overall nice atmosphere.

Welcome! Weather is going to be terrible for a few days, but I hope you can enjoy the city a bit. If you're interested in games, figures, comics, at all, Chaintown / Kensington / Queen West have a bunch of options are you can walk between all three easily.

It's actually great that you went to Get Well and got outside of the 'downtown core'. Seems like a lot of visitors never leave the 2x2km core and see the rest of the city.

Pacbois

Welcome! Weather is going to be terrible for a few days, but I hope you can enjoy the city a bit. If you're interested in games, figures, comics, at all, Chaintown / Kensington / Queen West have a bunch of options are you can walk between all three easily.

It's actually great that you went to Get Well and got outside of the 'downtown core'. Seems like a lot of visitors never leave the 2x2km core and see the rest of the city.

I'm staying in the neighbourhood (Gladstone between Dundas & College) and yeah it seems like a cool area. Lots of bars, cafés and shops. Will probably explore around Kensington today.

Weather is not that bad honestly, it's on par with what i would get home but slightly colder.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Welcome! Too bad the weather is crappy for the next few days.

dluu13

Welcome to Toronto! Yeah, even I have barely gone outside the core and I've been here almost two years.

Sober

A meetup is a meetup dammit!

Also I guess if we can pull off once a month or at least like 5 or 6 even this year means we don't have to feel bad about missing one when they were like 8 months apart. Remember those days?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's not often I ask for suggestions, but what's the best / your favourite karaoke place in downtown, or the west end? Chinatown, or Koreatown are ideal locations that I know are packed with them.

Quadratic

It's not often I ask for suggestions, but what's the best / your favourite karaoke place in downtown, or the west end? Chinatown, or Koreatown are ideal locations that I know are packed with them.

I liked going to Bar + near Yonge and Gerrard.

The Karaoke bar inside Dragon City I think it's called Echo is a bit sketch but shockingly has decent food if you order snacks from them.

Mupod

my roommate and I had to chisel my car out of a block of ice.

traffic wasn't bad except for all the dead lights. Only about 5 mins late, I guess.

Quadratic

The commute was pretty smooth. I guess it was a combination of people staying home/taking early vacation and delays from people chipping the ice off their cars.

I left home about 15 mins early and made it to work with plenty of time to spare.

yyzjohn

Banned
The commute was pretty smooth. I guess it was a combination of people staying home/taking early vacation and delays from people chipping the ice off their cars.

I left home about 15 mins early and made it to work with plenty of time to spare.

Yeah, BT was telling me it was a crazy drive, "stay home if you don't have to be at work", but the drive was pretty normal for me. Luckily the long weekend probably contributed to less cars on the road.

Somehow always have the luck of having a late class whenever the weather is genuinely shit.

Why can't it just be warmer already for fucks sake

Top Bottom