• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dantehemi

So does anyone have good reliable resources for critique on Toronto stuff? Not that it's super important, but I find it interesting to see how some restaurants rank up compared to their competitors, I enjoy finding new places and hidden gems around the city.
I know of BlogTO, Toronto life and I use Insauga for Mississauga stuff.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So does anyone have good reliable resources for critique on Toronto stuff? Not that it's super important, but I find it interesting to see how some restaurants rank up compared to their competitors, I enjoy finding new places and hidden gems around the city.
I know of BlogTO, Toronto life and I use Insauga for Mississauga stuff.
I haven't been to Alo yet, but the best restaurant in the city in my opinion is Scaramouche and it seems the critics agree with this mostly.

As for critics
Probably the most well known is Joanne Kate
http://www.postcity.com/Kates-Top-100/2015/

But I definitely weigh things differently than she does. For me, if the food is good, I don't mind if other things are lacking. For example, I fucking LOVE Messini and haven't had a bad meal there ever whereas some of the places she mentions like Buca are pretentious and over rated and she seems to spend time on the service and how pretty the food looks vs how it actually tastes.

For a different slightly more methodical take you can check out this but it is already a year old.

http://danfrank.ca/the-best-and-most-underrated-restaurants-in-toronto/

You can also try this:
http://canadas100best.com/category/canadas-100-best-restaurants-2015/

I've been to Toque! And it's good but I've had better and far cheaper meals at other places. So again, it seems to lean more towards style vs substance.

Other than these and the Toronto Life Food and Drink, I still find just asking the people here or people you know to be just as good as any of these guides. This is why I simply use guides to introduce me to new places and I try it out myself.

I don't put much stock into Michelin stars since they don't have any for Canadian restaurants as they don't rank Canadian restaurants and from what I've seen, it also takes into account a lot of other stuff besides the old "does it fucking taste good?"

Mr. F

Banned
Popping in to air the customary grievances of finding an affordable place to rent in the city, oof. Send me good vibes for basements that aren't dingy toilets and apartments without bedbugs, torontoGAF.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Also Kuro I'll post a gallery from Alo once I get my hands on my wife's phone. Want to see pics from au pied du Cochon sugar shack? Now that was an experience.

dantehemi

Thanks for the great post kuro, defiantly gonna check out those links. Where would you guys say makes the best butter chicken in Toronto/missisuga.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks for the great post kuro, defiantly gonna check out those links. Where would you guys say makes the best butter chicken in Toronto/missisuga.
Copper chimney on avenue and Wilson St. IMO. Though it's my favourite Indian restaurant in the city too.

krae_man

9RtH8g7.jpg

Quick

Banned
umm... Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but where do you guys think I should look for a summer job here as a high school student?

Is it your first job? I'm assuming you're looking for part-time work.

If so, retail or fast food are your best bets - practically every store or fast food place is hiring in some capacity. Fast food might be slightly easier to get into since they'll just about hire anyone, but this isn't to say that it's necessarily hard to get hired at retail either.

Pop into a store or chain and just speak to the manager. Some places might just tell you to apply online.

dluu13

umm... Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but where do you guys think I should look for a summer job here as a high school student?

We talk about getting jobs here all the time. When you go to stores and ask around, bring a few copies of your resume along with you too. It's not uncommon for them to schedule an interview for you and sometimes they even interview you right away.

Don't be afraid to ask friends or family if they know anybody whose workplace needs help over the summer. It's the easiest way to get a more unique job.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Only one out for my team today and it looks like the rest of the office is here too. Game development, I guess.
Probably off making DLC

Junior Mint, didn't forget about you. Did try that Yo Kai game and it's ok. Probably would've preferred the 3DS game on mobile instead, I HATE stamina timers.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Probably off making DLC

Junior Mint, didn't forget about you. Did try that Yo Kai game and it's ok. Probably would've preferred the 3DS game on mobile instead, I HATE stamina timers.

Fucking energy is the worst. I'd much rather buy a premium game than have to deal with energy. Shame the mobile market disagrees and can't hunt whales within premium titles.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking energy is the worst. I'd much rather buy a premium game than have to deal with energy. Shame the mobile market disagrees and can't hunt whales within premium titles.
Unfortunately, seems so exploitative.

Kairosoft games are pretty similar to each other, but I think they're closer to what I want in mobile games than everything else out there.

You guys got any other mobile suggestions?

dluu13

But you only have to pay a dollar to keep playing.
what a great deal!

I know some people who really think that way too. Some guys I know have spent hundreds of dollars unlocking stuff on mobile games.

Kairosoft games are pretty similar to each other, but I think they're closer to what I want in mobile games than everything else out there.

The only mobile game I've ever left installed for more than 2 weeks was the daily crossword puzzle app lol. And even that was infested with IAPs - though I never really cared enough to want to do more than one crossword puzzle per day.

I really just enjoy the Yo Kai game because it's a tsum tsum-style puzzle game with progression where I play maybe 2-3 matches per day then turn off the app so I never really run into issues with stamina/energy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I play almost nothing mobile wise. I have been playing Yo-Kai Wibble Wobble and I really like it. Yo-Kai is a good IP for tsum tsum. All the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games (I own, thanks to work expensing) are trash when you could find better versions elsewhere.

Pokemon Shuffle is really polished, but I didn't need another match 3 in my life.. especially with always-online. Chris plays Neko Atsume and Happy Street (both less now than before) and has picked up the web based game Blight lately to play with friends.

dluu13

I play almost nothing mobile wise. I have been playing Yo-Kai Wibble Wobble and I really like it. Yo-Kai is a good IP for tsum tsum. All the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games (I own, thanks to work expensing) are trash when you could find better versions elsewhere.

Pokemon Shuffle is really polished, but I didn't need another match 3 in my life.. especially with always-online. Chris plays Neko Atsume and Happy Street (both less now than before) and has picked up the web based game Blight lately to play with friends.

The only mobile games I have installed right now are 0h n0 and 0h h1 which are just puzzle games. They are nice in that they are free and have no ads or any pop ups at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at Tsujiri and the line up is reasonable (isn't that long). What do I get?! D:

Edit: I take it back. This line is deceptively long. Went to Sansotei for lunch and then came back to this crawling line.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I brought this up on the meetup but I saw an ad for a gaming convention that claims to be Canada's first?

http://eglx.ca/

It says its on April 29 to May 1st at the International Centre.
As our unofficial official ringer, you should totally go.

Goddamn...Tsujiri was pretty good but I agree that it's not worth a long wait. One thing I like about pretty much every Japanese snack I've had is that it isn't disgustingly drowned in sugar. It was still sweet but there were definitely other flavours that stood out. I still had a sugar coma afterwards though...

However, no line up at Uncle Tetsu, one person in front at Sansotei, and a bit of a long wait at Tsujiri made it an ok day today.

dluu13

As our unofficial official ringer, you should totally go.

Goddamn...Tsujiri was pretty good but I agree that it's not worth a long wait. One thing I like about pretty much every Japanese snack I've had is that it isn't disgustingly drowned in sugar. It was still sweet but there were definitely other flavours that stood out. I still had a sugar coma afterwards though...

However, no line up at Uncle Tetsu, one person in front at Sansotei, and a bit of a long wait at Tsujiri made it an ok day today.

I am getting mixed opinions. You guys say Santosei is awesome. I tried to ask some work buddies to go with me last Thursday but they said never go there.

Who do I listen to?

Blackhead

Redarse
In addition to the great suggestions above also check out the Ontario job program for students:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/summer-jobs-students

Ask your teachers, check your school for opportunities. If you're in community housing ask the tenant representative, they usually have opportunities for youth (mentoring, camp counselor for younger residents etc).

best of luck.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I am getting mixed opinions. You guys say Santosei is awesome. I tried to ask some work buddies to go with me last Thursday but they said never go there.

Who do I listen to?

Dundas Sansotei is so-so. Yonge St Sansotei is god tier.

Source: Me. I've eaten at both multiple times.

So where do your friends prefer? Hopefully some place respectable and not Kenzo, or Touhenboku.

dluu13

Dundas Sansotei is so-so. Yonge St Sansotei is god tier.

Source: Me. I've eaten at both multiple times.

So where do your friends prefer? Hopefully some place respectable and not Kenzo, or Touhenboku.
I don't even know. We ended up going to Popeyes instead :/

Not gonna lie, I love the Popeyes biscuits but I can't have Popeyes more than once per month. Shit is just too heavy of a meal and I feel all fucked up the next day lol.

Top Bottom