• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
welp. Just got laid off, 2 weeks before it would've been a year so they only have to give me 1 week notice apparently.

Came out of nowhere, boss is completely stunned and has no idea what the hell they are thinking. I already do 10+ hours of overtime a week and I'm swamped. 100% not a performance thing and I'm guaranteed EI, it's nice that everyone is stepping forward to offer themselves as references but it's still fucked up.

guess it's just more justification for how I live - I treat every day at work as it's my last and take every hour of overtime I can stand. I've never been fired in my life, never quit voluntarily, and yet I can't seem to keep anything more than a year.

On the bright side I highly doubt I'll be unable to find something in the IT field in brampton before my money runs out...I'll be in the positive even on EI and I have savings. Just spent a ton of money on moving out, new mattress, new clothes though.

Also does anyone have any experience getting ROEs out of uncooperative employers? These guys aren't the problem - it's my previous job. Guy still owes me a LOT of money and that's almost a year of full-time that he never submitted my ROE for.
Have you asked for your ROE...? I'd make sure you have a record of that and then if they continue to be asshats, go to an employment lawyer.

New Uncle Tetsu cafe.

Featuring maids. Let's see how Toronto handles this.
Evilmario, I guess we don't need to go to Tokyo for this anymore.

I should also add that I've seen males work there and non Japanese males at that. Dress em all as maids!

Mupod

Have you asked for your ROE...? I'd make sure you have a record of that and then if they continue to be asshats, go to an employment lawyer.
!

I'm referring to the guy from my previous shitshow of a job. Part of my unpaid wages settlement was that he was supposed to provide my ROE and so far he hasn't even done that let alone pay me what he was ordered to. He sure has promised to though, talked to him less than a month ago actually.

I don't know if I'll need it because I'm not sure how many hours I need for max EI but I figure it can't hurt.

edit: according to EI people on RFD I won't even need the old ROE for the max possible weeks. Cool.

Dr.Acula

Banned
iAAqPTE.jpg

At Queen and Spadina they have "Quantum Burger" in the old Hero Burger location, an installation Quantum Break advertisement running until Friday. They have the storefront set up as a frozen moment, plus a demo to play in the back.

soultron

Banned
The co-founder of the Toronto BLM movement made it to the top page of reddit today

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/4djha8/black_lives_matter_cofounder_tweets_about_killing/

Welp there goes her social media life
Headlines destroyed her by taking a sarcastic tweet by a minority out of context.

As a white guy, I'm not really upset or bothered by her tweet. Anyone looking to dismantle or discredit the BLM movement look for dirt like this, it's the same way Gamergate operates, it's the same way people operate when looking to defame politicians who have uninhibited social media presences.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm referring to the guy from my previous shitshow of a job. Part of my unpaid wages settlement was that he was supposed to provide my ROE and so far he hasn't even done that let alone pay me what he was ordered to. He sure has promised to though, talked to him less than a month ago actually.

I don't know if I'll need it because I'm not sure how many hours I need for max EI but I figure it can't hurt.

edit: according to EI people on RFD I won't even need the old ROE for the max possible weeks. Cool.
i am too. Do you have a paper trail of your requests?

At Queen and Spadina they have "Quantum Burger" in the old Hero Burger location, an installation Quantum Break advertisement running until Friday. They have the storefront set up as a frozen moment, plus a demo to play in the back.
I'd give it a try if it was still open this weekend.

The co-founder of the Toronto BLM movement made it to the top page of reddit today

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/4djha8/black_lives_matter_cofounder_tweets_about_killing/

Welp there goes her social media life
Yeah, that'll help get her message across....

What in the wintery fuck is going on here, Toronto. This snow. This cold.

I was in Tokyo for a few days, it was gorgeous (#teamwarm would have been mad jelly) and I got off the plane in Toronto like no thanks send me right the fuck back.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What in the wintery fuck is going on here, Toronto. This snow. This cold.

I was in Tokyo for a few days, it was gorgeous (#teamwarm would have been mad jelly) and I got off the plane in Toronto like no thanks send me right the fuck back.
Oh no. You're not getting off that easily. Tell us about the trip and what you did. I also heard that they stopped making Asahi Black or some nonsense...was it you that drank them dry over there?!?!

Mupod

my status was just upgraded from laid off to not laid off! Sort of. There was a misunderstanding and I'm staying on a contract basis until July, but they've made it clear that if I find anything else in the meantime I'm free to take time off for interviews etc. Definitely feeling better now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
my status was just upgraded from laid off to not laid off! Sort of. There was a misunderstanding and I'm staying on a contract basis until July, but they've made it clear that if I find anything else in the meantime I'm free to take time off for interviews etc. Definitely feeling better now.
Whew! Glad to hear it.
Coors on you then.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Well this is good news. And the fact that they are letting you find other work.

dluu13

Hopefully you find something close by. It would suck to have to commute right after finding a new place.

Mupod

Hopefully you find something close by. It would suck to have to commute right after finding a new place.

my commute actually got significantly longer after the move - I was crazy close before. So I'd definitely be looking for something nearby if possible. The big Loblaws corporate office where my roommate works is super close and I'll be trying to get on there if I can.

Renewed

I guess I'm not ditching my jacket any time soon. Now I need a toque since I got a haircut...

Good to hear. Hopefully you come can come up with something but you've at least got something together.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Apparently Kaiju Japanese Curry in the Aura food court is really good.

Everything else is not worth talking about.

We went to Kaiju tonight. It's pretty great, real Japanese curry. Owner is super friendly too. I wish all food court places was as good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer it over Gyugyuya, although the one time we had Gyugyuya, it was take out. Keep in mind it food court food still, but the karage and katsu was legit. On par with the stuff we had at cheaper curry places in Japan.
Pity that the owners didn't get a spot in the Atrium.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Kaiju is pretty good but yeah, it's doomed if it stays in its location.

I still think Naniwa Taro has the superior curry.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I still think Naniwa Taro has the superior curry.

That's pretty much like when someone recommends me a Japanese cheesecake place in Markham. Yeah, I'm sure it's better, but fuck if I can bother going an hour out of my way to have it on any sort of whim, or regular basis. :p

edit: Hooooly shit their okonomiyaki looks divine.

i had kaiju before, they don't use the japanese/short/sushi rice, pretty sure i got plain old jasmine rice

It's true, I believe it was just jasmine rice, but I guess I don't really care? Short grain rice doesn't more appeal to me in a curry dish.

dluu13

That's pretty much like when someone recommends me a Japanese cheesecake place in Markham. Yeah, I'm sure it's better, but fuck if I can bother going an hour out of my way to have it on any sort of whim, or regular basis. :p

That's why I kinda wish I had a car. Or I'd probably go out if I had more adventurous friends. As it is I'd just be going by myself and that kinda sucks.

Draff

Not sure about that. Word of mouth has done wonders for them and rent must be pretty cheap / or they own the space so they only have to pay maintenance fees.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not sure about that. Word of mouth has done wonders for them and rent must be pretty cheap / or they own the space so they only have to pay maintenance fees.

The situation is pretty dire. Even if they own their unit, who knows how long it'll take to actually turn a profit. We were there about 7pm last night and there was literally two other people in the food court. When we walked up to College Park, there were upwards of 100 people in the food court there outside of Metro.

Word of mouth will bring them some business, but I have doubts about it's sustainability.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
why are all of the civil war showings in 3d at cineplex? am i missing something or reading it wrong? fuck 3d

They don't put up the 2D showing times until closer to release :S

And there probably won't be any premium 2D showings either

Worst timeline

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Who's up for making the April meet up thread? We're 3/3 and we're almost a quarter of the way there. Or, like all unofficial official sanctioned resolutions we going to fall off the wagon?

Top Bottom