• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

krae_man

Buying a presto card is like buying itchy and scratchy money isn't it

Like not a single method of transportation downtown takes it

And now the token booth guy says they're not taking debit or credit and if I pay with a 20 I have to buy 3 token minimum

Works fine for me going to Pearson. Mississauga Transit takes and and Go takes it.

Toronto? Yeah hit or miss which stations/busses have tap pads.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Buying a presto card is like buying itchy and scratchy money isn't it

Like not a single method of transportation downtown takes it

And now the token booth guy says they're not taking debit or credit and if I pay with a 20 I have to buy 3 token minimum
Odd. Never had them refuse debit or credit after they made a big show of accepting it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Weird, I thought we had the choice.

Before you did, and it was something you had to claim on your taxes

Now it's pre-taxed... so in a $60 million win is actually closer to being a $120 million jackpot in reality (if you were to compare with old super 7 and powerball)

Brinbe

Awesome, I can make it then =D

And they're actually installing a Presto entrance right now at my station (Sherbourne) which made me think that I need to get going on getting a Presto soon. But it is pretty useless since I hardly travel outside Toronto.

Sherbourne Station

Sherbourne Station's automatic entrance located on the west side of Glen Rd. will be closed from 7 p.m. on April 8 to 6 a.m. April 11.

During this closure customers must enter the station through the main entrance on Sherbourne St.

When the automatic entrance re-opens on April 11, customers will no longer be able to buy tokens at this entrance, but they can enter through a station collector at the entrance with exact change, tickets, tokens or Metropasses.

Signage will be posted and ambassadors will be available to assist customers during the construction.

PRESTO will be available at these stations by early spring.
http://www.ttc.ca/News/2016/March/03-31-16MA.jsp

Welp. 355k 1BR in Emerald Park North York. Bye bye money.

I feel like I overpaid a bit but I really couldn't think of another building I would have lived in except maybe Hullmark across the street. Didn't want to rent anymore and definitely did not want to buy to live downtown for the next 5-10 years. Direct TTC access was also a must-have for me since I have no car and have to travel to the financial district every day. Ahhhhhhhh.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I feel like I overpaid a bit but I really couldn't think of another building I would have lived in except maybe Hullmark across the street. Didn't want to rent anymore and definitely did not want to buy to live downtown for the next 5-10 years. Direct TTC access was also a must-have for me since I have no car and have to travel to the financial district every day. Ahhhhhhhh.

Fuuuck. We're looking at that price range, but 2 bedrooms around Humber. Not like these two bedrooms are much larger than the shoebox 1 bedrooms though. Definitely more inconvenient transit wise, but the west end is ideal and we've lived around there before.

And yeah, renting in a shit building like we're in right now.. no thanks.

Hieberrr

Congrats, Senior Mint!

Fuuuck. We're looking at that price range, but 2 bedrooms around Humber. Not like these two bedrooms are much larger than the shoebox 1 bedrooms though. Definitely more inconvenient transit wise, but the west end is ideal and we've lived around there before.

And yeah, renting in a shit building like we're in right now.. no thanks.

Yeah the downtown unit I was looking at as my back option was 490(!!!!!!) sq. ft. Ior a one bedroom listed at 365k. The condo I bought was pretty decently sized at 581 sq ft

Congrats, Senior Mint!

Thanks!!

Now about that North York meetup...........

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I thought this would be a nice image to share.

jgOMoQl.jpg

zeitgeist

I thought this would be a nice image to share.

Nice as in, life ruiningly horrible?

It sucks because even if the housing bubble pops in Toronto, rent is always going to be insane :(

I can't find a decent, 1 BR place on the Bloor line for under 1200 so far.

minty, bro, you still in Richmond Hill I guess? Let us know if you need help moving and shit.

Yeah lol. I should be good on moving though since I have a while to get ready. Thanks for the offer man.

Nice as in, life ruiningly horrible?

It sucks because even if the housing bubble pops in Toronto, rent is always going to be insane :(

I can't find a decent, 1 BR place on the Bloor line for under 1200 so far.

Yeah I was tired of living with a roommate and I was looking for something along the Yonge line (within walking distance to subway)... couldn't find a studio/bachelor for under 1350. A 1BR would have cost me 1600-1700/month, ughhhh.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Congrats!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Congrats man.

I'll see if I'll join you in a few months. D:

Blackhead

Redarse

congrats

explodet

Good stuff, JM.

Me, I'm in pre-planning for the team formation to discuss the possibility to put together a exploratory committee for a condo purchase.

I want to stick with downtown but there's so little that's affordable other than CityPlace and I'd like to try and avoid that area.
And there's no way I can pull off just a 5% down with my current income.

LevelNth

Banned

It's just crazy to me that condos at Sheppard are now more expensive than the condo I bought in Liberty Village a few years ago.

It's simply not sustainable.

Good stuff, JM.

Me, I'm in pre-planning for the team formation to discuss the possibility to put together a exploratory committee for a condo purchase.

I want to stick with downtown but there's so little that's affordable other than CityPlace and I'd like to try and avoid that area.
And there's no way I can pull off just a 5% down with my current income.

Ice Condos and most of King West still seems okay-ish. I just didn't really like how there was almost nothing around Ice and taking the 504 every day to work seemed like a nightmare I'd like to avoid.

It's just crazy to me that condos at Sheppard are now more expensive than the condo I bought in Liberty Village a few years ago.

It's simply not sustainable.

I think the pricing is solely due to the TTC connection. If you take a 5-10 minute walk south east to Harrison Garden you can probably get a new 1BR unit for about 330k with a parking spot. I don't really foresee myself buying a car... ever, so I was willing to pay the 20k premium on a better location as opposed to buying a car.

---

Speaking of renting, lol: http://www.blogto.com/city/2016/04/renting_a_condo_in_toronto_is_getting_more_expensive/

explodet

Ice Condos and most of King West still seems okay-ish. I just didn't really like how there was almost nothing around Ice and taking the 504 every day to work seemed like a nightmare I'd like to avoid.
I work near Ice so maybe that's something to look into.
Last glace I took at it was for a 425 sqft studio condo on the 53rd floor.
I was all "there's a 53rd floor now?"

Quick

Banned

Congrats Mint.

I think you picked a pretty good spot. And direct TTC access is nice too. I've seen that building and its amenities too - rill gud.

Quadratic

I think the pricing is solely due to the TTC connection. If you take a 5-10 minute walk south east to Harrison Garden you can probably get a new 1BR unit for about 330k with a parking spot. I don't really foresee myself buying a car... ever, so I was willing to pay the 20k premium on a better location as opposed to buying a car.

---

Speaking of renting, lol: http://www.blogto.com/city/2016/04/renting_a_condo_in_toronto_is_getting_more_expensive/

You can put that parking spot/car money towards Bake Code and Whole Foods.

I used to work downtown on the 504 line. I can tell you during rush hours it's in dire need of relief with extra buses or double streetcars.

So somebody got shot and killed at Bloor-Yonge over an "argument".
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/yonge-bloor-shooting-1.3534807

I walked straight into the crime scene on my way home from work last night. I figured it was no big deal, kept going without really paying attention, and it was kinda surreal to then walk in the door and read about a murder and suspects at large and warnings to avoid the area. I much prefer stumbling upon dead celebrity raccoons on my way home than that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Uncle Tetsu's Japanese Angel Cafe

No wait. We showed up about 5 minutes before they opened at 2:30 and we were seated right away. Service was friendly, although a few of the waitresses appeared to be pretty new to the whole thing. Food was good (angel hat cake was probably the favourite) and reasonably priced too for what it is.

Much preferred over the lineup at regular ol' Tetsu. You can get the Angel Hat Cake's to go as well.

Yoooo we got more sour beer!

Cuvee des Jacobins. I haven't tasted it yet to compare directly, but like the Rodenbach it's a Flanders red ale and it's aged in oak foudres. I'm pretty excited to see how this one stacks up.
It hit my store today, but should pop up at other places this weekend (on the Friday warehouse shipments).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yoooo we got more sour beer!

Cuvee des Jacobins. I haven't tasted it yet to compare directly, but like the Rodenbach it's a Flanders red ale and it's aged in oak foudres. I'm pretty excited to see how this one stacks up.
It hit my store today, but should pop up at other places this weekend (on the Friday warehouse shipments).
D:

Edit: We did it, yyzjohn! We've vanquished the ice demon from hell! Low teen weather for the next ten days and Spring is here!

zroid

Banned
I always look forward to the temperature warming up in the Spring... until the grass starts growing. Then it's like... shit........

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I won't be there because I'm going to my niece's 3rd b-day party that day. I'll be 0-4 for GAF meetups this year.

Top Bottom