• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Why hello there. Long time no see.

I feel like I've missed so much of TOGaf. Catch me up!
We have a subway line along Sheppard now. Skydome has been renamed Rogers Centre. The official beer of Toronto is Coors. The Leafs are in the Eastern Conference Finals and Stamkos is leading the way. The Raptors are destroying Lebron right now. Everyone went apeshit when Bautista flipped a bat.
Jilly's closed.

We have a subway line along Sheppard now. Skydome has been renamed Rogers Centre. The official beer of Toronto is Coors. The Leafs are in the Eastern Conference Finals and Stamkos is leading the way. The Raptors are destroying Lebron right now. Everyone went apeshit when Bautista flipped a bat.
Jilly's closed.
Hey I didn't say I moved out of town. Just the thread. LOL.

Should have also snuck in a Rob Ford in there somehow.

Brinbe

Sigh, I couldn't resist and got tix for game 7 tomorrow. Probably gonna be regretting that decision. But hopefully they don't disappoint for once? ='(

Also heading to the Marlies playoff game later today. Much more confident they'll close their series out lol.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh, I couldn't resist and got tix for game 7 tomorrow. Probably gonna be regretting that decision. But hopefully they don't disappoint for once? ='(

Also heading to the Marlies playoff game later today. Much more confident they'll close their series out lol.

<<This space reserved for preemptive TORONTO SPORTS!>>

dluu13

Old people and their complaining are the worst. I'm with you fellow young and hip dude.

I don't care too much either way but wat:
mQK8X7D.png

dluu13

I don't know what to believe anymore. I was promised rain for the past 2 days and didn't get rain. We got rain last night but now it's windy as fuck. And then this is what Weather Timeline is telling me

yeah if it's windy and my window is open, i can feel my room shake during quick gusts.

So Im right outside Toronto in the GTA...

I am 25 and want to consider changing my career. Im in education. Just working to get onto the supply list... and I sort of am on the roster but sort of not because of caps on the roster list. Whatever the case, I am working in schools.

A large part of me makes me second guess myself. I look at teachers and see how tired and stressed some of them are. How they lack control in some of their classes. How some students are so shitty and just dont care, and in turn, teachers who dont care about them because there is nothing they can do. I know realistically, that teachers focus on the students who try, but I stress about what to do with students who dont do shit or disrupt classes. I feel I have a lot to learn in terms of managing a class, and I feel so young. I dont run any of the classes right now, just help out in them. But seeing some teachers struggle with some slightly unruly classes makes me wonder how Ill be in those situations.

I feel like Im too old to change paths now. Another part of me cant think of what to do. I want to consider orea for real estate school but I have no idea how competitive that field is. I want to explore other options.

I feel like Im too old to change paths now. Another part of me cant think of what to do. I want to consider orea for real estate school but I have no idea how competitive that field is. I want to explore other options.
What Junior Mint said.

Also, at least from my personal view, it's a god damn madhouse: everyone knows real estate is hot, so everyone and their dog wants in on it.

Renewed

Got guests today while I'm a wreck from allergies. Awesome...

A reminder for the meetup: It's looking like next week at this rate. I'm thinking of closing the vote at midnight or would some point tomorrow be better? As for locations, stuck between Victory Cafe and The Ballroom (if there are any SPORTS happening that day, we can watch at Ballroom). There are soju places near both but the one near Ballroom is an all you can eat grill so I dunno if I'd go for that lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So Im right outside Toronto in the GTA...

I am 25 and want to consider changing my career. Im in education. Just working to get onto the supply list... and I sort of am on the roster but sort of not because of caps on the roster list. Whatever the case, I am working in schools.

A large part of me makes me second guess myself. I look at teachers and see how tired and stressed some of them are. How they lack control in some of their classes. How some students are so shitty and just dont care, and in turn, teachers who dont care about them because there is nothing they can do. I know realistically, that teachers focus on the students who try, but I stress about what to do with students who dont do shit or disrupt classes. I feel I have a lot to learn in terms of managing a class, and I feel so young. I dont run any of the classes right now, just help out in them. But seeing some teachers struggle with some slightly unruly classes makes me wonder how Ill be in those situations.

I went through the exact same thing when I got accepted into OISE and was deciding on what to do. Part of me regrets not going and the other part sees how shitty the situation is. There's a lot of politics, nepotism, and backhanded dealing going on with regards to teachers in Ontario.

Tenure is hard to get. You're forced to teach special Ed or part time or maternity leave contracts. You likely won't be in Toronto itself while the older teachers whose methods are quite outdated and have stopped giving a shit sit back and cash in on that sweet deal they got.

If you do have a B.Ed, just know you can still get into education, but not necessarily teaching in schools. You can always get into the textbook game, or as an education consultant for a place that creates education programs for the workplace. There at adult education programs as well. If I were you, I'd take a look into those other education related fields to see what's available. There's also training in the workplace, for example, processes need to be created, reviewed, and provided to people in companies. Like I said, quite a bit out there.

dluu13

Got guests today while I'm a wreck from allergies. Awesome...

A reminder for the meetup: It's looking like next week at this rate. I'm thinking of closing the vote at midnight or would some point tomorrow be better? As for locations, stuck between Victory Cafe and The Ballroom (if there are any SPORTS happening that day, we can watch at Ballroom). There are soju places near both but the one near Ballroom is an all you can eat grill so I dunno if I'd go for that lol

I am soso on Korean Grill House. I've been there a few times. We will have already eaten at Ballroom so maybe not.

I went through the exact same thing when I got accepted into OISE and was deciding on what to do. Part of me regrets not going and the other part sees how shitty the situation is. There's a lot of politics, nepotism, and backhanded dealing going on with regards to teachers in Ontario.

Tenure is hard to get. You're forced to teach special Ed or part time or maternity leave contracts. You likely won't be in Toronto itself while the older teachers whose methods are quite outdated and have stopped giving a shit sit back and cash in on that sweet deal they got.

If you do have a B.Ed, just know you can still get into education, but not necessarily teaching in schools. You can always get into the textbook game, or as an education consultant for a place that creates education programs for the workplace. There at adult education programs as well. If I were you, I'd take a look into those other education related fields to see what's available. There's also training in the workplace, for example, processes need to be created, reviewed, and provided to people in companies. Like I said, quite a bit out there.

Thanks man. How do I get into the other kinds of education you mentioned? Should I do my post-grad? I dont even know how I can do that anymore. The education consultant bit sounds great. I didnt even really know about that.

I feel like Im wasting my life. I feel like Im such a disappointment. Im sorry for bringing all this up in this thread, just felt the most relevant. I genuinely dont know if I want to be in the classroom anymore as I hate seeing these teachers look so stressed, hopeless, and still try to keep a positive spirit with a classroom full of people who dont appreciate it. This isnt every classroom of course, but I also worry about politics and curriculum, and marking and parents. I want to care, but I wonder how many people truly do. Everybody my age says they have the passion, and I feel bad that it feels like Im second guessing myself. I believe I can be a good teacher. I wonder if Im just depressed. It took a year to just get hired, and even still, Im doing Spec Ed and other on-call work. I hate myself a lot for it.

People from my culture and family are also into sciences, business, etc. I hate myself for doing a B.A and I hate that I listened to mentors who encouraged me to continue in my B.A work because they saw "potential" in me.

Renewed

I am soso on Korean Grill House. I've been there a few times. We will have already eaten at Ballroom so maybe not.

That's what I'm thinking, because with KFC we can just get something small and just keep ordering soju. I just need to find a place like that or we'll go back there just to piss off the staff lol

Biff

Sup downtown-trendy-food-line-up-GAF.

What's the word on Sweet Jesus? Walked by last night and there were Tetsu-like lines. Looked like at least an hour wait.

Based on some BlogTO posts, looks like the real appeal is fancy soft-serve cones. Worth going to try off peak?

Getting a stable teaching job in Ontario is tough as nails.

I know a friend who got lucky who got through without any connections. Went from a temporary into the same school as a full-time teacher.

Great guy and glad he got it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks man. How do I get into the other kinds of education you mentioned? Should I do my post-grad? I dont even know how I can do that anymore. The education consultant bit sounds great. I didnt even really know about that.

I feel like Im wasting my life. I feel like Im such a disappointment. Im sorry for bringing all this up in this thread, just felt the most relevant. I genuinely dont know if I want to be in the classroom anymore as I hate seeing these teachers look so stressed, hopeless, and still try to keep a positive spirit with a classroom full of people who dont appreciate it. This isnt every classroom of course, but I also worry about politics and curriculum, and marking and parents. I want to care, but I wonder how many people truly do. Everybody my age says they have the passion, and I feel bad that it feels like Im second guessing myself. I believe I can be a good teacher. I wonder if Im just depressed. It took a year to just get hired, and even still, Im doing Spec Ed and other on-call work. I hate myself a lot for it.

People from my culture and family are also into sciences, business, etc. I hate myself for doing a B.A and I hate that I listened to mentors who encouraged me to continue in my B.A work because they saw "potential" in me.
Bahahaha. So you ended up doing those things I mentioned. I don't know you well enough to say if post grad is good for you or not, but you can take some technology related courses and look for elearning type jobs. I had an interview with Mornell Shepell and they were very interested in me due to my education experience along with a bit of IT troubleshooting. You could be one of those people who develop the training courses for companies for example.

Honestly, just look up any old job search site and punch in education related terms. Try LinkedIn with "education" in the search field; I already found a couple of hits. I could also suggest teaching ESL overseas for a year or two to broaden the old horizons.

Don't think that B.Ed = teaching in shitty school districts right now. Just think of it more as education, training, and development and that should help you find something.

...when you do find something, I totally expect you to help me change companies as well... :'(

That's what I'm thinking, because with KFC we can just get something small and just keep ordering soju. I just need to find a place like that or we'll go back there just to piss off the staff lol
You trying to kill us?! D:

What's the word on Sweet Jesus? Walked by last night and there were Tetsu-like lines. Looked like at least an hour wait.

Based on some BlogTO posts, looks like the real appeal is fancy soft-serve cones. Worth going to try off peak?
Is that the maid cafe...? :D

I know a friend who got lucky who got through without any connections. Went from a temporary into the same school as a full-time teacher.

He is lucky then. The amount of "oh my mother/aunt/family friend helped me get a job" really pisses me the fuck off. I knew a dude who was in Uni teaching HS without even a B.Ed because he had an in with the school.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I haven't been, but my friends love it. Probably worth checking out. It's not really fancy as it's more just indulgent

I tried sweet Jesus with some coworkers last year. It was pretty meh to me... Just an ice cream cone with too much shit on top but I'm not really a dessert lover. Don't think I'd go back personally but if you like desserts with like 90g of sugar then I'd definitely say it's worth checking out.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
And so it begins.

I would like to propose a #TeamReasonable. Our members will advocate cold weather in the winter, warm weather in the summers, and moderate weather in fall and spring. Who is with me?

The majority of us are #teamreasonable there is just a very loud minority (mostly Kuro) who just yell over everyone.

So in conclusion Kuro is the worst.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The majority of us are #teamreasonable there is just a very loud minority (mostly Kuro) who just yell over everyone.

So in conclusion Kuro is the worst.
It's official: my cat is a devious prick
My cat -- who's a 19 pound gray bad sports team addict that came here as a stray close to ten years ago -- loves to cheer for bad teams. When he cheers for his bad team, he sits on the arm of the couch or beside me on the floor and waits for the sound of the winning goal. He doesn't know what winning sounds like and will then start pawing the TV, trying to hook it with his strong paw.

He does this when his team is close to winning, and always wants to win. It's not necessarily good behaviour, but I used to pretend his team won a bit at the table and so did my grandmother. Now, it's too late to change.

He's a great cat otherwise. Very affectionate. Loves everyone. Always around us. Constantly bugging for wins, though.

Now, he's got a new hobby and obsession: Bottled water (aka Coors Lite). It started with him realizing he could lick the very little alcohol off of the cans. Now it's progressed to him wanting to share the actual wat...ummmm...Coors with me.

If I drink a bottle of Coors -- even if it's not so cold -- he will be around me and want some. He'll paw it a bit, investigate empties on the floor and...well...knock bottles over.

I got used to just putting drinks down on the floor beside the couch as I lay down and watch TV. And I just did so without thinking, when I paused the Goosebumps movie to get up and wash my greasy burger hands. I never thought I'd came back and see him knock over almost a full bottle of Coors that I'd just opened.

We've got an old area rug and underpadding, so hopefully none of the Coors will get through to the hardwood underneath. I've been using paper towel and towels to get most of the Coors up. It's frustrating, but also kind of funny.

Note: I'm nice to him when he bugs a lot of the time, and will put some Coors in the bottle caps. He'll drink it, then want more.

Kuro Madoushi said:
This is the dastardly culprit. His name is Kave_Man.

gF6PPhD.png

cube444

Have any of you guys ventured over into the "grittier" part of the Danforth east of Greenwood to check out pubs like "Morgan's," "Sauce," or "The Wren?"

Zips

I know a number of people who have a BEd. The only one that has managed to get into the system and get a full-time permanent position I was told had met the local superintendent and sent an email later on begging him for help. After that this person managed to get on the supply list, and then got a position.

Everyone else I know has either moved on to other sorts of positions (education-related or otherwise), or is getting by with temporary/contract/part-time/unstable work.

I experienced the struggle myself. It was not a fun time in my life, and I'm glad I've gotten past it, but it took a lot of hard work and still a good bit of luck. Very happy where I am now.

N° 2048

Top Bottom