• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Sober

I tried tims new potato wedges. Weren't crispy enough. Didn't put enough. 7/10 at best. Everything there is still so overpriced for what you get other than coffee.
They're decent but you might as well buy a big fuckoff box of potato wedges at Loblaws or something instead.

jokkir

I tried Momofuku again since I ate it in New York and it wasn't that bad as I remembered. It definitely isn't really Japanese ramen though and a bit expensive for what it is. The bao was still great as always though.

Hmmm...sober brought up Jinya Ramen and I was in the mood for it and it seems newly opened now.

Impressions and review with a preemptive MAH BLOOD SUGAR HNNNGGHHHHH soon!

I really want to try it but this weather is making me not want to go.

Renewed

Finally saw a Presto on a bus, albeit the 37 at the quiet time of morning. Maybe I should start looking into Presto lol

Meetup locations are being decided upon. I'm thinking about Scotland Yard Pub nearby Union Station. Then TTC to stop 2 for soju (which I should decide on... but I wanna just play games).

mr.rager

Finally saw a Presto on a bus, albeit the 37 at the quiet time of morning. Maybe I should start looking into Presto lol

Meetup locations are being decided upon. I'm thinking about Scotland Yard Pub nearby Union Station. Then TTC to stop 2 for soju (which I should decide on... but I wanna just play games).

Is Presto rare on TTC buses? I think all of the buses here in Sauga has em.

krae_man

We are not using Presto here in Kitchener because "Presto never put in a bid" and "presto can't do what we need"

I'm sure they didn't put in a bid, but that's probably because they knew it would be a waste of time. We get our own card because, no real reason given.

zroid

Banned
I needed this. Our yards were starting to look an awful lot like a barn.

God forbid I do something crazy like set up the sprinkler.

FTR lawns are the most overrated shit you can have on a property. If we could afford it, instantly throw a patio and/or garden over everything.

N° 2048

Welp there goes my apartment probably.

Fuck living in a basement in this city.

Nobody rent from York West Developments, ever.

Entropia

No One Remembers

FTR lawns are the most overrated shit you can have on a property. If we could afford it, instantly throw a patio and/or garden over everything.

I wouldn't mind having a small lawn, but yeah I agree. They're a pain in the ass to keep up and everything.

Sober

Corner lot FTL

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I'm going to try to see if I can get my PS4 headset to work on the PC for when I play Overwatch (so Kuro can yell at me to switch characters :p) Can someone send me the discord link?

And uhhh, this is probably a really dumb question but how do you use discord while playing the game?

Also, Wumpus has no friends. :'(

Sober

Okay, I'm going to try to see if I can get my PS4 headset to work on the PC for when I play Overwatch (so Kuro can yell at me to switch characters :p) Can someone send me the discord link?

And uhhh, this is probably a really dumb question but how do you use discord while playing the game?

Also, Wumpus has no friends. :'(

You can use Discord either through a browser or downloading the app - https://discordapp.com/

It's superlightweight. Imagine it's like both IRC and a VOIP client together and much better than having to maintain both. There's also a phone app that syncs together so you can always text chat or I believe even voice chat with your phone if you want. I would maybe recommend the app because it lets you use push-to-talk when you join voice channels in Discord.

For Overwatch-GAF, the specific discord server is here-- (quote to see)
Just paste the address into your browser or into the add new server option in the app.

Renewed

I need to get paid so I can join this Overwatch train...

I was gonna say the rain doesn't bother me but there's chance of rain for the next 3 days apparently.... dammit.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
You can use Discord either through a browser or downloading the app - https://discordapp.com/

It's superlightweight. Imagine it's like both IRC and a VOIP client together and much better than having to maintain both. There's also a phone app that syncs together so you can always text chat or I believe even voice chat with your phone if you want. I would maybe recommend the app because it lets you use push-to-talk when you join voice channels in Discord.

For Overwatch-GAF, the specific discord server is here-- (quote to see)
Just paste the address into your browser or into the add new server option in the app.

Yeah, I downloaded the app but I was more wondering how you use it at the same time as overwatch. Like I'm usually in fullscreen mode so I don't know how to see the icon - if that makes sense.

And thanks for the link.

Quick

Banned
That's why fuck #teamsummer

6H9bDVF.gif

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
ok, headset charged. And I can hear sound when I listen to videos so it looks like I have a mike. BUT my computer is in the living room and the TV will be on.

dluu13

omg I just waited over an hour in line at this ice cream place called Polar Bites. It's on Baldwin St and they make these rolls of ice cream by freezing milk.

It costs $7.something after tax. Not worth the wait. At least I wasn't alone.

The problem is it takes something like 5 minutes to fulfill a single order, and there are only two people making the ice cream at any one time.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/arctic-bites-toronto

Fuck this rain

It came through the ceiling at my place of work, in the middle of that brief intense downpour. Like, actually broke through and rained plaster down from one corner, leaving a hole that water continually poured out of like a waterfall, completely washing out the entire section of Chilean wine. It continued to spread for a bit and rained on me while I was grabbing a bottle of white wine for a customer.

So work was pretty fun today...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
omg I just waited over an hour in line at this ice cream place called Polar Bites. It's on Baldwin St and they make these rolls of ice cream by freezing milk.

It costs $7.something after tax. Not worth the wait. At least I wasn't alone.

The problem is it takes something like 5 minutes to fulfill a single order, and there are only two people making the ice cream at any one time.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/arctic-bites-toronto

Seems like every fucking ice cream place has a 20 minute wait outside of like.. Baskin Robbins, or DQ now.

ahdurian

Yeah, I downloaded the app but I was more wondering how you use it at the same time as overwatch. Like I'm usually in fullscreen mode so I don't know how to see the icon - if that makes sense.

And thanks for the link.

there's a Overlay function. use that. in Overwatch its a little bit iffy right now, but it does work.

i-Jest

I've developed a liking to Tim Hortons Pineapple Orange smoothies (hold the yogurt). It's slowly replacing my love for Jumba Juice smoothies.

dluu13

Seems like every fucking ice cream place has a 20 minute wait outside of like.. Baskin Robbins, or DQ now.
I wouldn't have gone if it weren't for my friend who wanted to try it. We both agreed after that it's not worth waiting for. And in my opinion not worth $7.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. I live close to two independent ice cream places and there are rarely lines and when there are, they move really fast so I don't mind at all.

I'm more surprised they're open in the winters.

I'm still upset that the Dairy Queen closed at Yonge & Eglinton years back. Muh Oreo Blizzard's tho. That place may or may not have contributed to my younger chubby years.

zroid

Banned
There's a really nice ice cream and general confectionery shop on Main St. Unionville which I go to occasionally called The Old Firehall

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dutch Dreams always has a ridiculous line whenever I pass by

I live close by, it's not ever worth the 20-30 minute wait. Expensive, chaotic lines, and somehow, even with all that, their ice cream sometimes taste like it has freezer burn. What the fuck.

dluu13

I live close by, it's not ever worth the 20-30 minute wait. Expensive, chaotic lines, and somehow, even with all that, their ice cream sometimes taste like it has freezer burn. What the fuck.

How do they have such long lines? What is taking them so long to scoop your ice cream?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jinya Ramen Bar
logo.png

399 Church St, Toronto, ON M5B 2A1
Opened May 16, 2016
Hours:
Monday 11AM–10PM
Tuesday 11AM–10PM
Wednesday 11AM–10PM
Thursday 11AM–10PM
Friday 11AM–11PM
Saturday 11AM–11PM
Sunday 11AM–11PM

Across the street from the former Maple Leaf Garderns (now a Loblaws and Mattamy Athletic Centre), Jinya Ramen Bar is yet another ramen restaurant in food trend crazed Toronto. To be honest, I didn't really notice anything at Jinya that really made it stand apart from any of the other dozen ramen places in and around the city. The location is easy to get to and is quite spacious and clean; the servers and cooks all yell out greetings when you arrive and yell out thanks when you leave; and you have more or less the same appetizers and drinks you can get elsewhere.

I went to Jinya on a Friday evening and there was no line up as there were only about 5 or so people there in a space that probably could've seated around 40. They seated me at the bar right in front of the cooks, and I had a great view of the kitchen working on everything. I ordered the JINYA Tonkotsu Black, along with the JINYA Bun, the Crispy Chicken (kara age), and a good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to wash it all down. The JINYA bun was pretty unspectacular and nowhere near as good as what you can get at Momofuku or Mean Bao; the bun itself seemed a bit stale, the braised pork was way too cool and small for my liking and, unfortunately, seemed to have only slightly more flavour than the actual bun. On the other hand, the Crispy Chicken was actually very good and is definitely something you should order if you want an appetizer. It was 5 very big and juicy pieces of chicken that was quite tasty and was quite surprising given the lackluster bun I had. So far, we're split down the middle with the ramen as a tie-breaker.

The JINYA Tonkotsu Black's broth was really good; it was thick, delicious, and had a slight smokiness and strong pork bone flavour imparted to it from the hours spent boiling and reducing. The accompaniments like the fried onions, dried seaweed, and kikurage (wood ear mushrooms) were really nice and I liked how they subtly added to the broth instead of overpowering it like in some other places. While the broth was very good, the main parts of the ramen seemed lacking. I don't think I've EVER had a bad poached egg at any ramen place I've ever been to, but this place would be the first; it was way too salty and it almost felt like I was having a salted duck egg. The pork fell apart quite easily and doesn't have the nice blow torched flavour from Kinton nor the well-seasoned quality from Sansotei. The noodles were the biggest disappointment for me. On the plus side, they absorbed the flavour of the soup quite well and weren't chewy, but they were a bit too al dente (cooked to be firm) for my liking and reminded me of the noodles you get in wonton noodle soup.

The whole meal was about 43 including tip though I would suggest skipping the bun and sharing the chicken if you do end up getting them. I liked it enough to give it another try (maybe the Tonkotsu Assari, which has the thick noodles) to see if things are better.

Top Bottom