• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dluu13

That's basically how it should be though it can be a bit too salty like Canucks fans at times. There's a somewhat new Chinese ramen place near Sansotei with noodles made in house and a milder broth that may be to your liking. Goddamn those noodles were really good.

Also, the weather is also really nice today so you snow people can unmelt yourselves and go outside and PRAISE THE GODDAMN SUN!

What's the Chinese ramen place called? It's not as hot, but my weather app says there's a thunderstorm incoming :D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What's the Chinese ramen place called? It's not as hot, but my weather app says there's a thunderstorm incoming :D
Can't find it but it has Zhou in the name. It's on Dundas west of Eaton Centre just past Sansotei. So find Sansotei and go a bit further west and you'll see it.

You'll be fine; you live downtown for crying out loud.

Quick

Banned
That's basically how it should be though it can be a bit too salty like Canucks fans at times. There's a somewhat new Chinese ramen place near Sansotei with noodles made in house and a milder broth that may be to your liking. Goddamn those noodles were really good.

I've had the pork shoyu ramen at their other location and it wasn't nearly as salty.

That being said, I understand that there will be slight differences between locations even with the same menu.

mr.rager

Can't find it but it has Zhou in the name. It's on Dundas west of Eaton Centre just past Sansotei. So find Sansotei and go a bit further west and you'll see it.

You'll be fine; you live downtown for crying out loud.

I passed by that ramen place today, the name is lan zhou iirc. was empty when I passed by.

Went to the night market with some friends, food was so overpriced. we didn't end up buying anything lol the only thing that looked interesting was something called gushi chicken, looked liked deep friend chicken balls. Wanted to try it but the lineup was wayyyy to long.

Brinbe

Went to night market yesterday night and yeah, had the same experience. And the wait for the TTC both ways was a clusterfuck, as expected.

Eleuin

Well at least they're obeying traffic laws.

I know you weren't being fully serious but I had friend who was there and he told me it was anything but civil

shoving non players out of the way, ignoring red lights and cars, running on the road, shit was madness

Sober

Hahah man at least a hundred or so people in the dark in Milliken park in a clearing just catching Pokemon

I was one of them

I checked out that new-ish Jinya Ramen and it wasn't too bad. Wanted to try the garlic ramen but $15.75 for a bowl of ramen is ridiculous. Funnily enough, they actually give you FREE fresh garlic with a garlic crusher, so I just ordered the premium white and crushed like 3 cloves of garlic in it, lol.

Also tried Artisan Noodle in North York. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy in the whole place who ordered in English. So many of the dishes are literally noodles drenched in chili and oil... kinda gross but I guess mainlanders love that shit. Also, every mainlander there was on their phone playing Pokemon Go with hacks. Seems like you can add a d-pad that fakes your GPS location.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I checked out that new-ish Jinya Ramen and it wasn't too bad. Wanted to try the garlic ramen but $15.75 for a bowl of ramen is ridiculous. Funnily enough, they actually give you FREE fresh garlic with a garlic crusher, so I just ordered the premium white and crushed like 3 cloves of garlic in it, lol.

Also tried Artisan Noodle in North York. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy in the whole place who ordered in English. So many of the dishes are literally noodles drenched in chili and oil... kinda gross but I guess mainlanders love that shit. Also, every mainlander there was on their phone playing Pokemon Go with hacks. Seems like you can add a d-pad that fakes your GPS location.
You sure they Mainlanders and not Taiwanese?

Gawd...every time I go into a Chinese restaurant now, goddamn Mandarin is used instead of Cantonese.

I'll generally reply in English and they still use the ol Mandarin. I could be Korean for all they know since my wife always has people speak Chinese to her.

Gawd...every time I go into a Chinese restaurant now, goddamn Mandarin is used instead of Cantonese.

I'll generally reply in English and they still use the ol Mandarin. I could be Korean for all they know since my wife always has people speak Chinese to her.

Pretty sure that style of food is mainland Chinese.

I know that feel though, lol. I think the worst service I ever had was at One Hour Cafeteria - the bubble tea place near Spadina and College. I seriously felt discriminated against because I didn't speak Mandarin lol although that place might be Taiwanese.

dluu13

Yeah it's so weird. I speak Mandarin but I typically default to Cantonese in a restaurant. There are a lot more mainlanders in Toronto, or that's how it feels to me.

Quick

Banned
I'm mistaken for Chinese, so I get spoken to in either language a lot.

When I tell people I don't speak the language at all, they either apologize or ignore me completely without acknowledgement (I get hung up on if it's a phone call).

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah it's so weird. I speak Mandarin but I typically default to Cantonese in a restaurant. There are a lot more mainlanders in Toronto, or that's how it feels to me.

When did you learn to speak (as a child)? I want to learn another language and trying to decide between French or Mandarin/Cantonese...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When did you learn to speak (as a child)? I want to learn another language and trying to decide between French or Mandarin/Cantonese...
I think you need to ask yourself why you're learning it.
Because I wouldn't bother with Cantonese anymore in terms of culture or job prospects.

French or "Qubecois French" would be good if you want to increase job chances in Canada.

Mandarin would be if you plan on working with a company that may do business with mainland Chinese.

I took a few years of Japanese for weeaboo purposes.
It might not be a bad idea for me to learn Korean since my in laws are Korean and it seems to be the in thing nowadays but then I'd be a Koreaboo.

And to go off tangent even further, I miss watching good HK movies in Cantonese...

dluu13

We have this weird thing at home where I speak Cantonese to my dad and Mandarin to my mom. It's pretty much been that way since I can remember. I feel like if you know Cantonese then it's easier to pick up Mandarin after, but I don't know if that's true.

Between Cantonese and Mandarin, Mandarin is the more useful of the two, imo.
but Cantonese is cooler
Mandarin is also easier to learn because there are fewer tones and the romanization of it, pinyin, is quite intuitive.
On the other hand, Cantonese uses jyutping, which is less intuitive and has many more tones.
Furthermore, how you speak Mandarin is how you write it, whereas in Cantonese, how you speak in everyday conversation is not how you write.

On the bright side, once you learn how to write in one of them, it is the same in the other, and you can easily communicate by writing.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
thanks

I think you need to ask yourself why you're learning it.

French or "Qubecois French" would be good if you want to increase job chances in Canada.

Mandarin would be if you plan on working with a company that may do business with mainland Chinese.

Yeah "Qubecois French" might be good for Canada job chances but I feel like I'd get much general use out of Mandarin/Cantonese in Toronto lol. I want to learn something I can speak often

And to go off tangent even further, I miss watching good HK movies in Cantonese...

*cough*
don't Chinatown store have those bootlegs?
*cough*

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching Korean dramas recently and I've been struck again how ...well, foreign Asian languages sound to me. It's sort of sounds strung together. I can sometimes barely pick out the names from what they are saying.

explodet

This weekend I saw a car turn right on a yellow light at a no-right intersection and narrowly get hit by one of the new-style streetcars.

I wish I could tell these moron drivers not to cut them off or try and beat them through traffic - they're notoriously hard to stop due to how bulky they are. Months ago I saw a car get hit at the same intersection and it didn't turn out too good for the car.

I swear, that intersection is a death trap.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
^^^
thanks

Yeah "Qubecois French" might be good for Canada job chances but I feel like I'd get much general use out of Mandarin/Cantonese in Toronto lol. I want to learn something I can speak often

*cough*
don't Chinatown store have those bootlegs?
*cough*
I guess I should specify that pretty much all Asian movies have been garbage for the past few years. You have a few gems from Korea but Japanese and HK cinema hasn't had anything interesting in years for me. Even the Korean stuff I see isn't really that great. It sucks since I was huge into Asian cinema before but it's...not what it used to be. To be fair, Hollywood hasn't exactly lit it up recently either with their billionth super hero movie, sequels, and reboots.

I've been watching Korean dramas recently and I've been struck again how ...well, foreign Asian languages sound to me. It's sort of sounds strung together. I can sometimes barely pick out the names from what they are saying.
That's wacist...! D:

Structurally, among other things, Korean and Japanese is similar with the verb at the end, different forms for politeness, tons of borrowed words, and usage of Chinese characters (though this isn't as common in Korean anymore).

I lived in Seoul for 2 years and can only make out some very basic stuff.

This weekend I saw a car turn right on a yellow light at a no-right intersection and narrowly get hit by one of the new-style streetcars.

I wish I could tell these moron drivers not to cut them off or try and beat them through traffic - they're notoriously hard to stop due to how bulky they are. Months ago I saw a car get hit at the same intersection and it didn't turn out too good for the car.

I swear, that intersection is a death trap.
:(

Something has changed in this city. Not sure if it's just more people or something else, but the drivers have been getting worse and worse: more impatient, ruder, more likely to break basic laws.

There was this one couple backing out of a streetcar with their stroller and this person in a car just drove right through stop on the door. The TTC driver just honked ineffectively, but the idiot driver could've fucked up an entire family there.

Edit: I also saw a cyclist biking and playing on his phone too...WTF has common sense left Toronto????

Mupod

I mean Sudbury drivers are demonstrably terrible - the driving test is so easy that people from Toronto who suck at driving just go up there for the test. And the drunk driving is insanely common. But overall there's just so much fewer people, and no highways, so it's not stressful to drive unless it's winter.

Sometimes in Brampton I feel like I'm in one of those Russian dash cam videos. Extremely aggressive buses and transports, taxicabs giving NO FUCKS about traffic laws, people blowing red lights in a 50 zone at 90. I would have been hit by someone doing the latter when turning left off of Bramalea a couple weeks ago, if I hadn't literally done a tire squealing peel out. My roommate was in a similar situation last year and since he didn't have a tiny little Yaris, someone took off the entire back end of his old Thunderbird.

Also people here honk at you before the light turns green. Never seen that before.

Quick

Banned
I'm about to try a create-a-burger from McDonald's. They offered me free fries and a drink. But the cost of the burger ended up being $9 anyway.

Forgive me, Burger's Priest.

I mean Sudbury drivers are demonstrably terrible - the driving test is so easy that people from Toronto who suck at driving just go up there for the test. And the drunk driving is insanely common. But overall there's just so much fewer people, and no highways, so it's not stressful to drive unless it's winter.

Sometimes in Brampton I feel like I'm in one of those Russian dash cam videos. Extremely aggressive buses and transports, taxicabs giving NO FUCKS about traffic laws, people blowing red lights in a 50 zone at 90. I would have been hit by someone doing the latter when turning left off of Bramalea a couple weeks ago, if I hadn't literally done a tire squealing peel out. My roommate was in a similar situation last year and since he didn't have a tiny little Yaris, someone took off the entire back end of his old Thunderbird.

Also people here honk at you before the light turns green. Never seen that before.

Driving in Brampton has inspired me to add a dashcam to my Boxing Day list.

Quick

Banned
Update: burger was ok. Very generous with the sauce and they actually put a solid lettuce inside my the burger vs the usual shredded ones for their regular burgers. Probably won't try that again though, especially if the free fries and drink promo isn't attached.

I'm guessing not a lot of people really choose to do the create-a-burger, hence the deal I got today.

One of my friends is consistently in near death car situations in Brampton, and it's usually because someone either ran the light (on purpose) or other astoundingly impatient driving acts. He also told me insurance fraud or fishing for accidents to claim through insurance is a common act in Brampton. Owning a dashcam might as well be mandatory up there.

People always talk about how bad Scarborough is, or how boring Etobicoke is. Fuck man, Brampton beats both of them. Do we generally perceive Brampton as the worst of the Toronto suburbs? Because sometimes it feels like it deserves that reputation . We should shift all the smug jokes (except for the subway ones) towards Brampton instead of Scarborough, to be honest. Scarberia doesn't deserve most of the shit it gets (except for the subway bullshit)

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
That's wacist...! D:

Structurally, among other things, Korean and Japanese is similar with the verb at the end, different forms for politeness, tons of borrowed words, and usage of Chinese characters (though this isn't as common in Korean anymore).

I lived in Seoul for 2 years and can only make out some very basic stuff.

I'm just saying how bad I am! I thought I had figured out "thank you" but then found out there were different thank yous based on the situation. Right now I think I can pick out yes, mom, dad and father.

Like you said, it's probably the structure of the language that makes it so difficult for me. Languages that have the similar roots to English (or French to an extent) are easier for me.

You have a few gems from Korea but Japanese and HK cinema hasn't had anything interesting in years for me.

HK cinema barely exists anymore. China has effectively subsumed a huge part of cinema culture/history. (But HK cinema was probably in trouble before the handover, as there had been a seeming dearth of HK talent to replace the old guard, and major companies like Shaw faded from relevance.)

I can't remember the last time I even saw a strictly HK film play here. It's all mainland co-productions now. Even old HK stars and directors are chasing mainland money. I knew it was the end of era when Johnnie To started working for the mainland. (I still thought Drug War was pretty good tho... but his new film, Three, is pretty lousy).

dluu13

I guess I should specify that pretty much all Asian movies have been garbage for the past few years. You have a few gems from Korea but Japanese and HK cinema hasn't had anything interesting in years for me. Even the Korean stuff I see isn't really that great. It sucks since I was huge into Asian cinema before but it's...not what it used to be. To be fair, Hollywood hasn't exactly lit it up recently either with their billionth super hero movie, sequels, and reboots.

Man last year people were making a big deal about The Interview (that North Korean thing). I watched that with my friends and didn't laugh once. Then we broke out an old Stephen Chow movie (god of cookery) and man that was hilarious.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm just saying how bad I am! I thought I had figured out "thank you" but then found out there were different thank yous based on the situation. Right now I think I can pick out yes, mom, dad and father.

Like you said, it's probably the structure of the language that makes it so difficult for me. Languages that have the similar roots to English (or French to an extent) are easier for me.
Heh. I know how to say those but apparently I don't say it in the right tone or some nonsense. Ask me at the meet up if you remember. I also don't know what translation is being done but if it's anything like some Japanese subs I've seen recently, they're way off base.
HK cinema barely exists anymore. China has effectively subsumed a huge part of cinema culture/history. (But HK cinema was probably in trouble before the handover, as there had been a seeming dearth of HK talent to replace the old guard, and major companies like Shaw faded from relevance.)

I can't remember the last time I even saw a strictly HK film play here. It's all mainland co-productions now. Even old HK stars and directors are chasing mainland money. I knew it was the end of era when Johnnie To started working for the mainland. (I still thought Drug War was pretty good tho... but his new film, Three, is pretty lousy).
Damn mainlanders ruining everything...! I'm trying to remember the last pure HK film I liked and it has to be a loooooong ass time ago. I guess Shaolin Soccer or Kung Fu Hustle if those kind of count though his earlier stuff is much much better.
Man last year people were making a big deal about The Interview (that North Korean thing). I watched that with my friends and didn't laugh once. Then we broke out an old Stephen Chow movie (god of cookery) and man that was hilarious.
Interview was pretty terrible. Other than that only the old stuff is worth seeing. I didn't like Shaolin Soccer when I first watched it but I grew to like it. The Mermaid had a few great scenes that definitely seem to harken back to his style of humour but he wasn't the star.

Edit: since I'm reminiscing about Stephen Chow movies
Saint of Gamblers
Tricky Brain
Forbidden City Cop
A Chinese Odyssey
From Beijing with Love
Royal Tramp

Are my top tier. Forbidden City Cop in particular I've probably watched dozens of times; that opening scene with the duel on the roof is hilarious as fuck. RIP HK Cinema... :'(

Quadratic

Check out Big Beef Bowl Noodle around the corner. I swear the Zha Jiang Mian is the best I've had in Toronto so far. The wait staff are probably the children of the owners because they all speak without accents. Only complaint I have about the restaurant is that it is way too small. Best to visit during off peak meal hours. I live fairly close so I always get take out instead of dining in.

Blackhead

Redarse
Pokémon Go plays like ass on a Wind phone. I almost want to switch up to another cheap carrier just for this game.

Wind Mobile teases its LTE network ‘is coming’
Wind Mobile, now owned by Shaw, has over 1 million wireless subscribers across Ontario, British Columbia, and Alberta. The carrier has been on a mission to build out its network and recently completed improvements in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton.

Since the release of Pokémon Go in Canada, Wind subscribers have taken to Twitter and Reddit to complain about the telecom’s slow speeds. “When will WIND MOBILE be getting LTE data? 4g is really slow and it’s slowing me down from becoming the very best,” says one Twitter follower Josh...
LLrN8kN.jpg

1ix2fxJ.jpg

If their LTE works in the subway too I'll switch back to WIND in a heartbeat. Heck if the iPhone 7 support dual SIM cards is true I would get WIND as my main carrier.

Blackhead

Redarse
If LTE is really coming, I doubt they will retain their unlimited data plan
(but I'm happy to be proven wrong)

Well it's not 'real' unlimited data; it's soft capped 5GB/10GB/20GB with lower speeds over that. Wind should have nothing to lose really by letting that 5GB/10GB/20GB be LTE and the making the lower speeds 3G/2G. That's what TMobile successly does in the USA and is still so much better than what Robelus offers. Also rumors are that Apple will sign a distribution deal once Wind gets LTE. If you could get a $60 plan for 20GB LTE with no overage fees and WindTab iPhone with officially supported iMessage...

krae_man

I'm all for LTE, I probably won't pay for it since it will probably be on a $50 or $60 plan, but people will go on it and that will free up space on the 4g network.

I get 10mbps sometimes now. If I could get that consistently, I'd be happy.

Hell I'm happy now, my podcasts stream fine and video only buffers occasionally.

I don't know if wind getting iPhones will do much.

I think most of their customers buy entry level or mid range phones. The S and Note whatevers are like $1000 and best they offer is $500 upfront and $500 payable over two years with an interest rate(you pay $600 over the 2 years).

iPhones would be the same.

People still remember getting phones for $200 at most, often free on a contract.

dluu13

I don't know what the draw of faster mobile networks are with so many restrictive data caps. Luckily, I only use my data to read or look up maps while I'm out or else I'd go over all the time.

I only have 1 GB though. I could pay more to get more data, but it turns out I don't use much right now anyway.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amusingly running as a Ford actually helped him. You'd think the name would be shit by now, but we have some real morons in this city.
Rob became a saint when he died, even to those who didn't like him much.

I wonder what happened to that other guy named Ford that wasn't related to them. I remember Rob and Doug being pissed that he was "using the Ford name to get elected" in Etobicoke.

Top Bottom