• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Much appreciated

I haven't been to la palette in a while. I should probably do that.

Montreal was incredible. Went to a show. Checked out a bar and had brunch.

I am definitely going again for longer sometime in the fall. Gonna research more and check out s ton more places when I go again.

And Christ. That city is much more affordable.
First time I went absolutely stunning waitress. Food is great and the drinks are good too.

BarChef is fun, but expensive and probably crazy packed these days

Canoe has a very nice view
He said price isn't an issue :'(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

dluu13

I know not of what heat you speak of.

I'm wearing two sweaters right now because the AC at work is way too cold and I have no idea where the controls are.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I know not of what heat you speak of.

I'm wearing two sweaters right now because the AC at work is way too cold and I have no idea where the controls are.
Yes...! YES!!!

At Overpriced Taste of the Danforth.

Still the same boring old crap with tons of places selling corn and souvlaki though I do love getting the lamb pies when they sell them here.

Renewed

Was it? It felt hot at times but after the humidity from yesterday's rain and today's cool breeze, everything was fine at work. Of course I come home to a blasting AC and feel sick.

Avixph

Hello Toronto-GAF, so me and my family will be traveling to your city from August 11-16 and I want to know if you peeps could recommend to us places to go see, do, and eat stuff. We already purchased Toronto City Passes (includes tickets to CN Tower, Ontario Science Center, Casa Loma, Royal Ontario Museum, and the Toronto Zoo), admissions to Art Gallery of Ontario, and will be joining a small group tour of Kensington Market & Chinatown.

Quick

Banned
Hello Toronto-GAF, so me and my family will be traveling to your city from August 11-16 and I want to know if you peeps could recommend to us places to go see, do, and eat stuff. We already purchased Toronto City Passes (includes tickets to CN Tower, Ontario Science Center, Casa Loma, Royal Ontario Museum, and the Toronto Zoo), admissions to Art Gallery of Ontario, and will be joining a small group tour of Kensington Market & Chinatown.

Ripley's Aquarium if that remotely interests you. It's right beside the CN Tower. Niagara Falls is like an hour or so away as well. Worth a day trip if you've never been.

Hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto, if you're into sports at all in any capacity. The Stanley Cup is there* year-round. Blue Jays games are also a good time, again if sports interests you.

*Stanley Cup replica if the real Cup isn't available.

Edit: I'm required to tell you to eat at Burger's Priest.

dluu13

I second the hockey hall of fame. That place is pretty cool.

Avixph

Ripley's Aquarium if that remotely interests you. It's right beside the CN Tower. Niagara Falls is like an hour or so away as well. Worth a day trip if you've never been.

Hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto, if you're into sports at all in any capacity. The Stanley Cup is there* year-round. Blue Jays games are also a good time, again if sports interests you.

*Stanley Cup replica if the real Cup isn't available.
Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot to mention but the City Pass includes tickets to the Ripley's Aquarium of Canada. What about places to eat? Which in your own opinion are the best places to eat? I always wanted to tryout poutine, where can I find the best representation of poutin in Toronto?

Edit: I'm required to tell you to eat at Burger's Priest.
What's the best thing to get there?

Quick

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot to mention but the City Pass includes tickets to the Ripley's Aquarium of Canada. What about places to eat? Which in your own opinion are the best places to eat? I always wanted to tryout poutine, where can I find the best representation of poutin in Toronto?

There's a lot of variety with restaurants and cuisines in the city. It's really hard to just recommend places to eat because of this. Ramen and Vietnamese joints are probably common in every major city, but you get into more types of cuisines and you'll have a fair amount to choose from.

As for poutine, a lot of people mention Poutineville, though I've never been. There's honestly a whole bunch of Poutine places in Toronto that you probably won't go wrong with whichever you pick.

What's the best thing to get there?

See for yourself. Can't go wrong, really.

How much are the admissions?

https://www.hhof.com/htmlGeneralInfo/gi10800.shtml

Avixph

There's a lot of variety with restaurants and cuisines in the city. It's really hard to just recommend places to eat because of this. Ramen and Vietnamese joints are probably common in every major city, but you get into more types of cuisines and you'll have a fair amount to choose from.
That's why I asked for your favorite places to eat in the city.

As for poutine, a lot of people mention Poutineville, though I've never been. There's honestly a whole bunch of Poutine places in Toronto that you probably won't go wrong with whichever you pick.
Thanks I'll try their poutine out, and/or any other place someone else might recommend.

See for yourself. Can't go wrong, really.
Looks good and I'll try out the one near the hotel that my family and I are staying at.

Thanks.

Any other place someone else might want to recommend?

dluu13

That's why I asked for your favorite places to eat in the city.

Thanks I'll try their poutine out, and/or any other place someone else might recommend.

Looks good and I'll try out the one near the hotel that my family and I are staying at.

Thanks.

Any other place someone else might want to recommend?

My roommate keeps telling me to go to Nazareth, which is an Ethiopian restaurant. Unfortunately, the one time we tried to go together there was a line up out the door. I did try some of his leftovers once from when he went himself and it was pretty good.

Apparently there are no utensils/other cutlery allowed. Unique experience from what he tells me.

Avixph

My roommate keeps telling me to go to Nazareth, which is an Ethiopian restaurant. Unfortunately, the one time we tried to go together there was a line up out the door. I did try some of his leftovers once from when he went himself and it was pretty good.

Apparently there are no utensils/other cutlery allowed. Unique experience from what he tells me.
Wow that seems good, might check it out if the lines aren't too long. Did your friend tell you what is the best time to be there in order to avoid the lines?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I think you should skip CN Tower and just do the aquarium. I'd also recommend skipping Chinatown since it's a terrible dump.

Places to visit in the city
Distillery District*
Kensington Market*
Yorkville*
Royal Ontario Museum
Downtown core of Yonge/Dundas Square
The PATH (underground network of shops)
Ripley's Aquarium
Toronto Zoo
Ontario Science Centre
Pacific Mall*
St Lawrence Market*

*stuff I actually go to as a local quite often

As for food, you won't get anything here you won't see in NY to be honest. However, we're known for our pork, so if you had to do a taste of crap Toronto is good at:
Peameal bacon sandwich at St Lawrence Market
Bacon sandwich from Rashers is also dangerously good
Butter tart pretty much everywhere has them
Her Father's Cider if you're into cider. Ontario has some good apples for this apparently. Lots of places offer it though.
The Only Cafe if you want a variety of beer.
Chocolate at Soma at the Distillery District is also quite good.
Ontario Spring Water Sake Company is also at the Distillery District.
If you want something a bit more unique, try Black Hoof, just go on their online menu.

For unique desserts, we have Kekou for some kick ass gelato flavours; Tsujiri for some delectable matcha based desserts; Uncle Tetsu and the accompanying Maid Cafe for Japanese cheesecake; Sweet Jesus for some crazy sugar rush ice cream creations; Nadege's for baked goods though there's a lot in the city that's good.

For food, Wvrst if you want to try some sausages made out of uncommon meat; and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ESPECIALLY Summer haters like Evilmario, but Holy Chuck, Burger's Priest, and supposedly P&L Burger (though I don't agree myself) offer amazing burgers; and if you want authentic Neapolitan pizza, we have Pizzeria Libretto; for a bit more of a unique take on sushi you can try JaBistro, which blowtorches it and makes your mouth water; I haven't had poutine in Toronto in ages and it's not particularly good, but I guess Poutini is there if you want.

If you want even more high end and expensive stuff
Jacob's Steakhouse
Harbour Sixty Steakhouse
The Keg Mansion (franchise but this one location is unique)
Scaramouche
Bar Buca
Canoe
Alo
Luckee
Richmond Station
George Restaurant

dluu13

Wow that seems good, might check it out if the lines aren't too long. Did your friend tell you what is the best time to be there in order to avoid the lines?

Nah, he doesn't really know either.
Google says this though:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=nazareth+restaurant+toronto&ie=&oe=

The chart on the right indicates what times the restaurant is open and the volume of people at certain times. I guess you can try and get there for an early dinner around 4-5.

Avixph

Personally, I think you should skip CN Tower and just do the aquarium. I'd also recommend skipping Chinatown since it's a terrible dump.

Places to visit in the city
Distillery District*
Kensington Market*
Yorkville*
Royal Ontario Museum
Downtown core of Yonge/Dundas Square
The PATH (underground network of shops)
Ripley's Aquarium
Toronto Zoo
Ontario Science Centre
Pacific Mall*
St Lawrence Market*

*stuff I actually go to as a local quite often

As for food, you won't get anything here you won't see in NY to be honest. However, we're known for our pork, so if you had to do a taste of crap Toronto is good at:
Peameal bacon sandwich at St Lawrence Market
Bacon sandwich from Rashers is also dangerously good
Butter tart pretty much everywhere has them
Her Father's Cider if you're into cider. Ontario has some good apples for this apparently. Lots of places offer it though.
The Only Cafe if you want a variety of beer.
Chocolate at Soma at the Distillery District is also quite good.
Ontario Spring Water Sake Company is also at the Distillery District.
If you want something a bit more unique, try Black Hoof, just go on their online menu.

For unique desserts, we have Kekou for some kick ass gelato flavours; Tsujiri for some delectable matcha based desserts; Uncle Tetsu and the accompanying Maid Cafe for Japanese cheesecake; Sweet Jesus for some crazy sugar rush ice cream creations; Nadege's for baked goods though there's a lot in the city that's good.

For food, Wvrst if you want to try some sausages made out of uncommon meat; and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ESPECIALLY Summer haters like Evilmario, but Holy Chuck, Burger's Priest, and supposedly P&L Burger (though I don't agree myself) offer amazing burgers; and if you want authentic Neapolitan pizza, we have Pizzeria Libretto; for a bit more of a unique take on sushi you can try JaBistro, which blowtorches it and makes your mouth water; I haven't had poutine in Toronto in ages and it's not particularly good, but I guess Poutini is there if you want.

If you want even more high end and expensive stuff
Jacob's Steakhouse
Harbour Sixty Steakhouse
The Keg Mansion (franchise but this one location is unique)
Scaramouche
Bar Buca
Canoe
Alo
Luckee
Richmond Station
George Restaurant

Thanks, I try and take my family to as many of these places as possible.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro da real MVP.

I'd also recommend skipping Chinatown since it's a terrible dump.

Yes. Unless you are specifically looking for something, I don't think casually browsing Chinatown offers much. You could drop into Kensington, visit A&C Games, AnimeXtreme, and a few other locations in the area, but that's about it for me. Koreatown / Annex is frankly just a lot more interesting and I prefer the food there.

Such bad luck with TTC yesterday.

- Bought a day pass and went to Ikea at Leslie to pick up some items.
- Time to head back and I had to wander the entire subway station to find the god damn entrance with the collector so I could get in with this shitty scratch and win day pass.
- Took the train downtown and service was dead between Sheppard and Lawrence or something due to emergency.
- Wanted to get lunch in the Baldwin area but Line 1 is dead for maintenance between St. George and Union so I have to transfer from Dundas station instead of a close walk from St. Patrick(?). Fuck.
- Finish lunch and need to go to College / Bathurst. Bus route along College is diverted and end up walking like 10 minutes from whatever street it took me to.
- Time to go home and the ENTIRE downtown Yonge/University line from St. George to Bloor (the U area) is shut down because of injury at track level
- So I walk to Bloor since I'm close enough and make the train there. We get stuck at Davisville for about 5 minutes because the train lost power (wtf?)

good god

dluu13

Kuro da real MVP.

Yes. Unless you are specifically looking for something, I don't think casually browsing Chinatown offers much. You could drop into Kensington, visit A&C Games, AnimeXtreme, and a few other locations in the area, but that's about it for me. Koreatown / Annex is frankly just a lot more interesting and I prefer the food there.

AnimeXtreme smells like sweat. I have a friend who comes to Toronto from time to time from Oakville. We usually go to one of the Chinese bakeries there to grab some stuff because it's so cheap. It's nothing you can't get in New York though.

- Time to head back and I had to wander the entire subway station to find the god damn entrance with the collector so I could get in with this shitty scratch and win day pass.
- Took the train downtown and service was dead between Sheppard and Lawrence or something due to emergency.
- Wanted to get lunch in the Baldwin area but Line 1 is dead for maintenance between St. George and Union so I have to transfer from Dundas station instead of a close walk from St. Patrick(?). Fuck.
- Finish lunch and need to go to College / Bathurst. Bus route alonge is diverted and end up walking like 10 minutes from whatever street it took me to.
- Time to go home and the ENTIRE downtown Yonge/University line from St. George to Bloor (the U area) is shut down because of injury at track level
- So I walk to Bloor since I'm close enough and make the train there. We get stuck at Davisville for about 5 minutes because the train lost power (wtf?)

good god

Not quite as bad, but I hear stories like this weekly from people at work.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

- Finish lunch and need to go to College / Bathurst. Bus route alonge is diverted and end up walking like 10 minutes from whatever street it took me to.

good god

And this too can be yours, every day of your life for a mere $150 per month. Soon to be $180 probably.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro da real MVP.

Feels bad. I'd say a decade or two ago it was definitely worth visiting. I think the city will eventually get its head out of its ass and do something worthwhile with the area.

- Finish lunch and need to go to College / Bathurst. Bus route along College is diverted and end up walking like 10 minutes from whatever street it took me to.

good god
LOLOLOLOLL
And this too can be yours, every day of your life for a mere $150 per month. Soon to be $180 probably.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOL

Read recently that Northern Ontarians want to split off from Ontario cause they don't want to pay for Toronto. I'd LOVE for this to happen cause they'd quickly realize how much we subsidize them. We can use all that money going north to create TWO subway stations. D:

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Actually, kuro. The amount of tax money that leaves the GTA every year and doesn't come back can amount to 4 complete subway lines

In 2-3 decades, that could probably be enough money to replace every bus route in the city with a subway

dluu13

Actually, kuro. The amount of tax money that leaves the GTA every year and doesn't come back can amount to 4 complete subway lines

In 2-3 decades, that could probably be enough money to replace every bus route in the city with a subway

Greeeaattt more construction work blocking all the roads.

Read recently that Northern Ontarians want to split off from Ontario cause they don't want to pay for Toronto. I'd LOVE for this to happen cause they'd quickly realize how much we subsidize them. We can use all that money going north to create TWO subway stations. D:

It's gonna be amusing seeing Southern Ontarians support the Northern Ontario Seperatist movement so we could keep more of our own money and use it on ourselves for once. I think we pay about 25%+ more than what we actually receive from higher levels of government. We're capable of funding our own shit on taxes alone but we gotta subsidize the rest of Ontario beyond the GTA somehow. If we kept most of our money you can bet that we wouldn't even be debating over the Scarberia subway because we'd have enough to build 4 more of the damn things each year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

All dat gravy and nobody to stop its flow...! D:

Greeeaattt more construction work blocking all the roads.
Toronto is one of the most populous cities in North America, but we're severely underdeveloped. I'm not kidding when I say the city needs to take a good long hard look at itself and figure out what it wants to do. Do we want to be a tourist spot? Then we need a LOT more development for areas and amenities that tourists will want to see like Old Port in Montreal. Our waterfront is still a mess, Spadina Chinatown is a mess, Ontario Place is a goddamn mess, etc etc etc.

It's gonna be amusing seeing Southern Ontarians support the Northern Ontario Seperatist movement so we could keep more of our own money and use it on ourselves for once. I think we pay about 25%+ more than what we actually receive from higher levels of government. We're capable of funding our own shit on taxes alone but we gotta subsidize the rest of Ontario beyond the GTA somehow. If we kept most of our money you can bet that we wouldn't even be debating over the Scarberia subway because we'd have enough to build 4 more of the damn things each year.
But the TTC is "World Class". Junior Mint can attest to its world classiness!

Absolutely ridiculous the way we fund it, run it, and plan it. It's an utter embarrassment when compared to Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Seoul.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Even if Northern Ontario were to split off, we'd still end up subsidizing them on Federal level at the very least and they'd be convinced they had it right. No escape.

Well that Amber alert system Rogers has does a good job at alerting people. Was watching the Jays game and went to the kitchen. Suddenly, *WEEEOOO WEEOOOO WEEOOO WEEEOOO*

yyzjohn

Banned

Is the time traveler real??? Cmon man!!!!

Top Bottom