• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

gabbo

You have a LinkedIn profile that you made public and have you tried any hiring agencies? In the searches I've done, it seems there are a TON of companies looking for that. Hell, my coworkers have people sending them jobs.

What hiring agencies would you recommend? I'm also looking for programming/IT/etc jobs

Zombie James, we should form a dev studio and create a game ;)

You have a LinkedIn profile that you made public and have you tried any hiring agencies? In the searches I've done, it seems there are a TON of companies looking for that. Hell, my coworkers have people sending them jobs.

Yup, I have a public LinkedIn profile and I've done some job applications through it, too. Haven't tried any hiring agencies. There's definitely a lot out there, that's why I'm able to send multiple applications daily, but no one's biting.

What hiring agencies would you recommend? I'm also looking for programming/IT/etc jobs

I did some game development for a small startup a few years ago. Not an experience I'd want to do again, ha.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

There are IT specific ones but I can't recommend a specific one. Try all of them and let us know.
Yup, I have a public LinkedIn profile and I've done some job applications through it, too. Haven't tried any hiring agencies. There's definitely a lot out there, that's why I'm able to send multiple applications daily, but no one's biting.

I did some game development for a small startup a few years ago. Not an experience I'd want to do again, ha.
Hmmm...all I can say is that is quite unusual.

When I first moved here, I started looking around mid-October and got NOTHING. Then after the Christmas break all the places I applied to started getting back to me around January - February. Definitely a slow and long process, especially for places that do multiple rounds of interviews (I did 3 rounds at my current place).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When I first moved here, I started looking around mid-October and got NOTHING. Then after the Christmas break all the places I applied to started getting back to me around January - February. Definitely a slow and long process, especially for places that do multiple rounds of interviews (I did 3 rounds at my current place).
You...you shaddup and go drink yo free coffee! >=

dluu13

Yep, I don't know if you guys remember, but I was talking about working in this startup (spinoff from my lab) to turn my master's project into a product. That went sideways.

Long story short, a problem popped up with one of the electronics of one of the existing products and the original designer is now back in China so they need to hire a talented electronics designer/engineer to figure it out, which I am not. (I'm a mechanical designer)

On the bright side, my boss still really likes me and is financially supporting me (minimally) while I job search and do some stuff for him and still wants to hire me full time some day. I know some people who know people so I'll try to exhaust those before putting myself fully out there.

On the chance that any of you know good electronics designers that need a job, let me know and I can connect them :D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blessed be the Holy Father Lamoriello, the Holy Son Dubas, and the Holy Spirit Shanahan!

HR lady was on vacation but got back to me just now. In person interview next week. I hope my nightmare is over soon.

jokkir

I'm currently working but I'd be looking for a web developer (front end specifically) position. That or UI design.

@zombiejames did you try during the startup open house? A lot of companies were hiring. There's also a startup job fair coming up early October, I believe. You can try there.

ahdurian

Yeah, just a little impatient is all lol. Don't have to pay for rent or anything cause I'm currently living with my brother but still, I would like to get my own place asap.

I'm looking for a English teaching job, don't really have the qualifications of a teacher so I'm hoping to get by with just being a native English speaker lol.

okay this i may not be able to help with...

Programming, web development, IT.

Application support or business analysis.

You shouldn't be having a problem with that...

these two, though, maybe. Scotia, and i'm sure other banks, have internal job sites. could maybe search for something on there if there's any openings

Anony

i was at uniqlo
great store, almost everything is overpriced and marked up if you've been to uniqlo in asia
the only things that are okay priced were plain shirts, underwear, and socks
i'm hoping they will have marked down/bargain bins eventually

Entropia

No One Remembers
i was at uniqlo
great store, almost everything is overpriced and marked up if you've been to uniqlo in asia

:( Disappointing, but I can't say I am surprised.

Quick

Banned
i was at uniqlo

Not surprised, I was expecting a markup.

Anony

huge ass line up today, i wouldnt bother going today
i really dont think the line up will be like uncle tetsu, just go in a few days

Quick

Banned
huge ass line up today, i wouldnt bother going today
i really dont think the line up will be like uncle tetsu, just go in a few days

I saw BlogTO's and Uniqlo Canada's Instagram feeds of the opening. I ain't going there anytime soon.

I'll give it a month to be sure it calms down. I just want them to roll out more stores at the other big malls ASAP.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I saw BlogTO's and Uniqlo Canada's Instagram feeds of the opening. I ain't going there anytime soon.

I'll give it a month to be sure it calms down. I just want them to roll out more stores at the other big malls ASAP.

Well Yorkdale is not too far off. One closer to me would be nice though I say even though I've never been to one.

ahdurian

It might be since I went in the evening but the lines aren't that bad. Well waiting room is. It's like 30min linrbfornthat.

10minutes to get in. Shopped for about an hour. 5 minute line at checkout

Lined up at 8AM to get into Uniqlo. Spent a desperate $360 bucks on what is effectively my new Spring/Fall wardrobe. I'd say it was worth

Great to know the lines afterward weren't so bad and went smooth. The opening lineup was pretty hefty. I bought a jacket from there and they forgot to remove the security tag so I have to go back to take it off

Entropia

No One Remembers
Seeing as their site doesn't have an e-commerce section yet, what were some of their prices like? How much was a basic long sleeve button up shirt? A sweater?

Seeing as their site doesn't have an e-commerce section yet, what were some of their prices like? How much was a basic long sleeve button up shirt? A sweater?

I think they're the literal exact same as the US prices... Which makes them 30% cheaper here. So the cardigan I bought is $49.99 CAD, and in the US it's $49.99. It's 30% cheaper to buy it here with the exchange rate. They did good with the pricing here, which is kind of surprising.

Rinoa

I had a weird experience at the Dufferin TTC station. When I tried to buy some adult metropasses they asked for my driver's license. Friend says it's likely to prevent credit card fraud but I was like "lol I don't drive, now give me my passes".

Also, cirque du soleil Luzia was awesome. Try to get tix before it's gone. I need to get off ass and dump pics to instagram of it. We were at the front, which was too close to the action - them contortionists make me so uncomfortable!

Most companies get approval for hiring for when the fiscal year is about to begin. So in Jan/Feb I start looking for or contacting people I wanted and interviewed.

ahdurian

I think they're the literal exact same as the US prices... Which makes them 30% cheaper here. So the cardigan I bought is $49.99 CAD, and in the US it's $49.99. It's 30% cheaper to buy it here with the exchange rate. They did good with the pricing here, which is kind of surprising.

SOME items are, but others arent
for example, the chinos I bought today are 39.99 USD in the US, but in the new store they're 59.99 CAD
paying about 7$ more than normal

I also heard other people complaining that even though the ease of access is easier (ie: not having to go across the border), that the prices for good number of stuff is higher here

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had a weird experience at the Dufferin TTC station. When I tried to buy some adult metropasses they asked for my driver's license. Friend says it's likely to prevent credit card fraud but I was like "lol I don't drive, now give me my passes".

Also, cirque du soleil Luzia was awesome. Try to get tix before it's gone. I need to get off ass and dump pics to instagram of it. We were at the front, which was too close to the action - them contortionists make me so uncomfortable!

Most companies get approval for hiring for when the fiscal year is about to begin. So in Jan/Feb I start looking for or contacting people I wanted and interviewed.
You totally look shady

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
First week done!

I think it went well, even though I have no email, LAN or access to any of the systems yet. My badge doesn't even get me into the building yet.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Was downtown for something else, which I'm now done with. Decided to brave Uniqlo. I'm walking to the Eaton's Centre now.

Edit: just saw some just walk by with a bunch of Uniqlo bags

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
O.....k.....

So there's yet another Japanese restaurant opened along Dundas. It's a spaghetti based place. Ken Oh. Not sure if it's good, but here goes.

ahdurian

honestly, the uniqlo line isn't bad...it's only their fitting room line that's insane. when you have to have a sign to show where the fuck the line is ending...yeah, no

i just ended up buying stuff without trying it on. God bless 30 day return policies

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I passed by that place a few times but I haven't tried it. There always seems to be a bunch of people in there.

After trying it, I wouldn't recommend it.

honestly, the uniqlo line isn't bad...it's only their fitting room line that's insane. when you have to have a sign to show where the fuck the line is ending...yeah, no

i just ended up buying stuff without trying it on. God bless 30 day return policies

The fitting room line up was pretty disorganized and there were 2 free rooms but the one dude ushering the people in was just constantly doing other stuff while I was waiting.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I did the same. I would have liked to try on the shirts I got but saw the line for the fitting room and was NOPE. They should be fine.

I only waited about 10-15 minutes to get in the store and 1 minute in line to pay.

Quick

Banned
I do that a lot, and I don't even go to the fitting rooms anymore after a first visit, unless it's something I've never worn before. Once I know my size for specific clothes, I pick up and pay. I return if it doesn't fit and go from there.

Top Bottom