• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Lexxism

hey friends

toronto spooooooooooooortsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

never get your hopes up. never ever ever.

EVER.

TORONTO SPORTS BABY I ALWAYS BELIEVED
509852c2afa96f2d52000009.jpg

ahdurian

Was tempted to go out for it but it seems like every year it just becomes more and more packed with drunk people. Not up for that

dluu13

One of you guys told me last year that nuit blanche makes no sense. I went out this year and nuit blanche made no sense.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nuit Blanch is slang for "bars serve until 4:00." Awww, shit, pray for me.

I went to a McD's and ordered med fries and a McDouble and they filled my order -no joke- within 10 seconds.

Hi! I have posted in the Canadian game deals thread for years now but for some reason have never posted here until now.

Just got back from Nuit Blanche, and surprisingly: not that many drunk teenagers. Actually, it felt like the crowds were smaller in general, but that might be because this year I actually stuck to the plan and didn't bother leaving the house until after midnight. The art is very much like it has been in recent years: heavy on spectacle, lots of things you watch passively and then go "oh that was an art thing." I still miss the early years when there were a lot more interactive pieces, but I guess that's just what the night is now. There's less art this year, but that's actually a plus because it's not like you can see everything in one night anyways and this way, everything's closer together and easier to see.

I don't know if I'll do it next year, mainly because I'm getting too old for this "stay out until 5am" shit (I've been going for a decade solid now). But I was pleasantly surprised by this year. It's definitely not my favourite Nuit Blanche but I managed to see some cool stuff.

Sober

Honestly I would rather there be an annual event at the AGO or something. Went twice and the crowd of drunk teenagers really ruins it.

Kraftwerk

I went. Checked out the building st Richmond and spadina which had some galleries inside and then went to city hall with the big planet ball. I went from 10-12 and when I started to head home that's when it started to get busy. Took an uber home and it was the fastest ride ever.

Overall it was ok. A lot of the installations are truly pointless and seems like they just needed to fill stuff.

I am gonna apply for next year and show some art and an installation.

This is my first year in Toronto, so this was my first Nuit Blanche. I enjoy a lot of modern art and I'm sympathetic to any kind of art in general, but the installations were pretty weak, I felt. I was definitely expecting something of much higher quality. The firefly garden, the guy wearing heavy boots, the questionable video installations, smh...still, I enjoyed the main showcase pieces on Nathan Phillips Square like the sun death globe and the trippy music video projected on the water. Overall, I had fun even if I didn't always think the art was great. It's a cool project for the city and I came across a few places I hadn't been before, like the music conservatory, or heard of, like Cloud Gardens.

The crowds weren't too bad, but there were a lot of drunk kids. I remember myself as a drunk kid: I may have been a lot of things but I was never *obnoxious*. Why come out and heckle some poor artist at 3 in the morning? There was this installation where the artist hooked your head up to this "brainwave machine" and your brainwaves caused these speakers filled with water to vibrate. Kind of hard to describe. It was a little cheesy but I kind of liked it. Anyway, this random kid was standing off to the side and kept hollering "IT'S JUST POOLS OF WATER! HAHAHAHA!". Like, dude...shut up.

The lines for any decent grub were pretty bad, so I just ate a gross hot dog.

We planned to be out until 4 or 5, but my girlfriend was a zombie by 2:30 or so. We old now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first year in Toronto, so this was my first Nuit Blanche. I enjoy a lot of modern art and I'm sympathetic to any kind of art in general, but the installations were pretty weak, I felt. I was definitely expecting something of much higher quality. The firefly garden, the guy wearing heavy boots, the questionable video installations, smh...still, I enjoyed the main showcase pieces on Nathan Phillips Square like the sun death globe and the trippy music video projected on the water. Overall, I had fun even if I didn't always think the art was great. It's a cool project for the city and I came across a few places I hadn't been before, like the music conservatory, or heard of, like Cloud Gardens.

The crowds weren't too bad, but there were a lot of drunk kids. I remember myself as a drunk kid: I may have been a lot of things but I was never *obnoxious*. Why come out and heckle some poor artist at 3 in the morning? There was this installation where the artist hooked your head up to this "brainwave machine" and your brainwaves caused these speakers filled with water to vibrate. Kind of hard to describe. It was a little cheesy but I kind of liked it. Anyway, this random kid was standing off to the side and kept hollering "IT'S JUST POOLS OF WATER! HAHAHAHA!". Like, dude...shut up.

The lines for any decent grub were pretty bad, so I just ate a gross hot dog.

We planned to be out until 4 or 5, but my girlfriend was a zombie by 2:30 or so. We old now.
I'll have you know that Toronto has only the FINEST of street meats....!

Honestly I would rather there be an annual event at the AGO or something. Went twice and the crowd of drunk teenagers really ruins it.

Ironically, I found the AGO portion of this year's event to be really disappointing. New Project was essentially over by the time I got there, and I have questions about how the reclamation of the space went down (I saw pictures from earlier) but all there was was a mud-caked floor and the artist in a corner, resting or reflecting or meditating. Legacy is literally two TVs on a wall playing animated GIFs, and incredibly easy to miss. Meanwhile, getting around the museum itself was kind of baffling and focused not on the Nuit Blanche projects but on their galleries, which were (partially?) open. I tend not to go and see exhibits that are open to the public outside of Nuit Blanche because why bother, but that seems to be the appeal of the AGO every year: "oh man go and see the art you can see normally, but at 3am." I guess I get why they do it, but it's definitely not for me.

I'm kind of curious about where they take the event next year. The main sponsor is gone, for both good and ill, and though there were still lots of people on the streets, I do get the sense that Toronto's kind of "over" Nuit Blanche at this point.

I enjoyed it the first year I moved here (probably because it was all new to me). Missed it last year and this year because the weather forecast called for rain. Was mostly wondering if it got significantly worse after Scotia pulled out as a sponsor.

Dice//

Banned
Dear Toronto Gaf. I'd ask the Buy/Sell thread but I'd rather ask locally. Do any of you want to sell, or know someone who would, and X360 console?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it the first year I moved here (probably because it was all new to me). Missed it last year and this year because the weather forecast called for rain. Was mostly wondering if it got significantly worse after Scotia pulled out as a sponsor.
What bank doesn't want to be associated with "art", drunken teens, and stabbing?

I only went to Nuit Blanche a couple times but the large number loitering teens annoyed me, and the art wasn't really too appealing either but it was mostly the kids around Yonge-Dundas and NPS =/

Dice//

Banned
Did you check Kijiji or CL for posts?

Gaf feels more like "a community" than simply asking on kijiji, so thought I'd ask here first before "a stranger" on kijiji....
I know it's silly, but i've had weird meetups in weird places for kijiji stuff (and I realize that doesn't change the odds of meeting in Parkdale > Foresthill)

I decided not to go to Nuit Blanche again after my first time. Getting punched in the face by a drunk guy because I wouldn't give him money for beer put me off of it.

jokkir

I only went to Nuit Blanche a couple times but the large number loitering teens annoyed me, and the art wasn't really too appealing either but it was mostly the kids around Yonge-Dundas and NPS =/

Big tip is to go to the really popular areas first before all those people come out. It was a night and day different going to City Hall around 730pm compared to going back around 1130pm. So many annoying people there. Good thing we left right away.

Big tip is to go to the really popular areas first before all those people come out. It was a night and day different going to City Hall around 730pm compared to going back around 1130pm. So many annoying people there. Good thing we left right away.

My mistake was meeting up with my gf at YD Square and going to eat at the Eaton Centre lol

zroid

Banned
2016 Blue Jays:

- fewest runs allowed in the American League
- Aaron Sanchez AL ERA leader
- toothless, ineffective, frustrating offence

who could have expected this?

Lexxism

Can someone explain it to me why the replica jersey in jays shop is $30 more expensive than sportchek? Am I missing something here?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
2016 Blue Jays:

- fewest runs allowed in the American League
- Aaron Sanchez AL ERA leader
- toothless, ineffective, frustrating offence

who could have expected this?

Every game I've just prayed for 5 runs as that should usually be enough with how well the starters have pitched.

ahdurian

I think if a big store like Sportchek was selling knock-offs, they wouldn't be in business anymore

then again, a lot of people criticize/doubt Winners for that kind of stuff too

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously I don't know what is wrong with people. Woman sitting in the priority seating when she didn't need it and some old people were standing. She also had her bag on the middle seat using it to rest her arms as she did her make up. Before she got off, the empty Tim's cup she was holding onto she just nonchalantly drops on the floor.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously I don't know what is wrong with people. Woman sitting in the priority seating when she didn't need it and some old people were standing. She also had her bag on the middle seat using it to rest her arms as she did her make up. Before she got off, the empty Tim's cup she was holding onto she just nonchalantly drops on the floor.

People suck basically.

Lexxism

TTC workers get ready to come out of the booth

As early as July, the dingy collector booths at stations will be emptied and TTC collectors will be allowed to roam free in their new role as “customer service agents,” or CSAs.

Each CSA will be armed with a tablet computer loaded with tourist information and apps such as Google Translate, ready to attend to riders’ needs. When not helping customers, they will be tasked with inspecting stations, light cleaning work, and first-line maintenance.

FINALLY?!

I think if a big store like Sportchek was selling knock-offs, they wouldn't be in business anymore

then again, a lot of people criticize/doubt Winners for that kind of stuff too
Yeah but I was curious with the $30 mark up by Jays shop. I thought I'm missing something important.

Man what a journey. Got on at Sheppard station around 8:30, didn't get to Queen until 9:20. Damn. Crazy that I can get from RICHMOND HILL to downtown faster on some days.

jokkir

I leave my house around 7:40 to get to the office by 9:15 (if lucky)

hahahahaaaaaaaa :(

I need to move out. Who wants a roommate

ahdurian

if I take TTC, I leave at 730 and don't get in until around 830, on a good day. If Bathurst streetcar/station decides to fuck me over, I get in at 9

if I drive, I leave at 730 and I get in at just before 8

mr.rager

Reading the past several posts makes me so happy I don't have to wake up so early to go to work anymore. I used to wake up at 5:30 every day to go to work. Leave my house at 6:25 then get to work around 6:40. It was worse when I had to bus to work, wake up at 4:50 then then leave my house around 5:45 to arrive at work around 6:40. My work was easy AF but still, fucking hated waking up so early.

Top Bottom