• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quadratic

I never went back to the TPL since I owed them 35 cents when I was 10. Do you think I will have to pay if I go back?

Your membership and associated fines are gone. The library purges long inactive accounts unless you have ridiculous fines in that case it goes to a collection agency.

Recently the library has lowered fines to encourage use. There's even a new fine tier for people in their early 20's. http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fines-changes/

The digital ebook portion of the TPL has no fines. All checked out items automatically expire and delete at the end of the loan period.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It'd be funny if you go back and find out you owe them a ridiculous amount of money. Do they even have limits on how much you can owe them or do they just make you pay for the book?

:edit:

Had an interview yesterday to be a "English Teacher", it was more like a glorified baby sitting job. Got an email early this morning saying I didn't get the job. Kind of thankful I wasn't accepted to be honest, you pretty much have to be super energetic 110% of the time. Fuck that.

That is pretty much par for the course. A lot of it isn't English instruction and more instruction in English for them to get exposure to the language and some practice. I found people in Seoul and Tokyo definitely speak it a lot better than some people realize.

I still remember this one level test I did. Jesus Christ. I normally stop asking questions after a few minutes because I can see where they screw up and what level I can place them in, but this one girl absolutely killed it. Got all tenses right, used a decent amount of vocabulary, followed along at my regular speaking speed, got indefinite and definite articles dead on, and she spoke with a very slight accent. You'd still be able to tell English was her second language, but damn she was one of the best people I tested. I got curious and asked her if she took a lot of extra lessons, lived overseas, had a foreign boyfriend, etc. She said she took the regular classes you'd get in the school system here and that while she didn't have a foreign boyfriend, her friend did and they hung out a lot. She also watched a lot of foreign tv shows. Go figure that the best teacher is sometimes the bloody TV set...

Your membership and associated fines are gone. The library purges long inactive accounts unless you have ridiculous fines in that case it goes to a collection agency.

Recently the library has lowered fines to encourage use. There's even a new fine tier for people in their early 20's. http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fines-changes/

The digital ebook portion of the TPL has no fines. All checked out items automatically expire and delete at the end of the loan period.
Who in their right mind is able to get a fine that large????

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's been true of my life. I currently have a keen interest in How to Get Away with Murder...
Easy. Have a baby kill you. Nobody is going to prosecute a baby...well...maybe Texas...
I believe there was an episode of Married with Children where Al borrowed The Little Engine that Could as a kid and never returned it and ended up owing thousands.
I remember there being...a law...? Or something...? Where the fine couldn't exceed the value of the product at retail. Does make sense though, how can something that costs 5 dollars to buy end up being MORE than that in fines.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So that poop cafe opened up on the weekend. We need a review. Come on Kuro, do us all a favour and eat shit.

Finally got a reply from the company I applied to that I didn't get selected for the final stage of interviews.... four weeks later.

And this was two weeks after I sent an email asking more or less what was going on with my app (very politely of course), and getting no reply from them.

I knew I shouldn't be surprised since it took so long, but I won't lie. Still felt like I got punched in the gut reading that email.

Hope my fellow job hunters in here are doing better today.

Quadratic

Who in their right mind is able to get a fine that large????

I've seen some whoppers. Especially if they are art books. You have a 50 item limit and if you multiply the max fine per item....

Generally the fine doesn't exceed the cost of the item. If you have a crazy fine and own up to forgetting to return something. Having an adult conversation with the librarian can generally have a fine reduced. The library wants people to use their services. The fines are put in place to deter people from keeping an item indefinitely. I've seen kids hang on to text books for a whole semester without returning and wondering why they have a replacement charge on their account.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a reply from the company I applied to that I didn't get selected for the final stage of interviews.... four weeks later.

And this was two weeks after I sent an email asking more or less what was going on with my app (very politely of course), and getting no reply from them.

I knew I shouldn't be surprised since it took so long, but I won't lie. Still felt like I got punched in the gut reading that email.

Hope my fellow job hunters in here are doing better today.

I hated getting random rejections weeks or months later.

Lexxism

Presto card rollout on TTC running millions over budget

The cost of installing the Presto fare card system on the TTC has exceeded initial budget estimates, the Star has learned, and the project is still not complete.

Metrolinx, the provincial transit agency in charge of the Presto program, says it doesn’t know how much the bill will eventually come to, and is declining to provide an estimate of final costs until an unspecified later date.

As of March 31, however, the agency had spent $276.7 million deploying Presto on the TTC, according to numbers provided by Metrolinx. That’s almost $22 million higher than the agency’s 2012 estimate of $255 million.

The $276.6-million figure doesn’t reflect work that has yet to be completed or was finished after March 31; those jobs include completing Presto deployment at all subway stations, installing additional self-serve reload machines and fare vending devices across the network, and rolling out fare card readers on all 1,900 TTC buses and 500 Wheel-Trans vehicles.

When the TTC agreed in principle in 2011 to sign up for Presto, the cost of implementing it on Toronto’s transit network was estimated at between $250 million and $300 million. By the time the deal was signed with Metrolinx one year later, that number had been revised to $255 million.
SHOCKING NEWS

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Blessed.

I enjoy the salt from people who are actually jealous and clinging to that the Leafs lost the game to bring down the 4 goals.

zroid

Banned
crazy thing about that game was as good as Matthews was, Marner might have been just as good. he just couldn't bury any of his ridiculous chances. Marner has definitely exceeded my expectations from watching him in pre-season and tonight. some people expected he would get scratched regularly but if he keeps playing like this that's not going to happen.

wamberz1

Hello my fair friends
So I recently got a job after months of applying, and landed one near the heart of downtown. It's been great so far and I'm super excited about it.
Since it seems pretty solid, I have a lot saved up and I hate taking the bus from hamilton I'm going to be moving to Toronto soon. Right now I'm looking at the Leslieville as that's the closest area to my work.
Just wondered if you guys had any tips in regards to looking for a place and what to look out for. One thing I noticed from the op:
Protip, don't rent a basement apartment.
I was just wondering why this is, a basement apartment was exactly what I was going to look for since it's cheap and I don't need a lot of space.

zroid

Banned
Jays talk I'm down with, but 7 months of Leafs fans moping is going to hurt. ..And just as I was hoping to get more involved in TorontoGAF too :)

Don't worry lol, we don't really whine about Toronto sports here that much. Unless something extraordinarily bad happens.

I think he was joking that because the Leafs are going to be good this year we're going to talk about them more

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hello my fair friends
So I recently got a job after months of applying, and landed one near the heart of downtown. It's been great so far and I'm super excited about it.
Since it seems pretty solid, I have a lot saved up and I hate taking the bus from hamilton I'm going to be moving to Toronto soon. Right now I'm looking at the Leslieville as that's the closest area to my work.
Just wondered if you guys had any tips in regards to looking for a place and what to look out for. One thing I noticed from the op:

I was just wondering why this is, a basement apartment was exactly what I was going to look for since it's cheap and I don't need a lot of space.
I live in Leslieville so any questions just toss them out.

Basement apartments typically have low ceilings, critters, and generally not enough windows and lights.

The area is pretty great and my complaints are pretty minor. Too many fucking dog owners not picking up their dogs' shit. Crime is low and I think the highest profile one is a murder near the shopper's drug mart at Queen/Logan and a sexual assault in the same vicinity as well. There are some shits that go around putting graffiti and causing general mischief like stealing little girls' bikes but these occurrences are really rare and I've lived here bout two decades now (fuck, I'm old...)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Leafs haters were hella loud before the game started then Matthews scored 4 goals and they all got real quiet. Leafs lose and they come out and deflect.

Quick

Banned
Leafs haters were hella loud before the game started then Matthews scored 4 goals and they all got real quiet. Leafs lose and they come out and deflect.

ugmqMF4.gif

wamberz1

I live in Leslieville so any questions just toss them out.

Basement apartments typically have low ceilings, critters, and generally not enough windows and lights.
I don't mind low light, but I can see low celings getting annoying fasts, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
The area is pretty great and my complaints are pretty minor. Too many fucking dog owners not picking up their dogs' shit.
After living in hamilton for 3 years there would have to be a LOT of shit to not be an improvement.

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/ebisu-toronto

Dluu and junior mint. What the fuck is ebisu and is it worth getting my blood sugar raised over?

Hmm, this one looks a bit better. I feel like in Vancouver, it was good when they first opened in like 2006 or whatever then it slowly got worse and just turned into one of those places that business people go to for a mediocre lunch and that's it. I remember going there a few times for birthday parties/drinks early on.

Don't think it's worth going out of your way for (at least the on in Vancouver) but again the menu in Toronto looks like it's different.

On a related note, a sushi place opened in North York and I was talking to the owner and realized he was a chef at Samurai Sushi in Vancouver lol. Weird seeing a Vietnamese-owned sushi joint here but the sushi was pretty good. Rarely see Toronto sushi joints serve regular (non-spicy) chopped scallop rolls for some reason.

dluu13

Hmm, this one looks a bit better. I feel like in Vancouver, it was good when they first opened in like 2006 or whatever then it slowly got worse and just turned into one of those places that business people go to for a mediocre lunch and that's it. I remember going there a few times for birthday parties/drinks early on.

Don't think it's worth going out of your way for (at least the on in Vancouver) but again the menu in Toronto looks like it's different.

On a related note, a sushi place opened in INorth York and I was talking to the owner and realized he was a chef at Samurai Sushi in Vancouver lol. Weird seeing a Vietnamese-owned sushi joint here but the sushi was pretty good. Rarely see Toronto sushi joints serve regular (non-spicy) chopped scallop rolls for some reason.
Man samurai is sick. Huge fish

dluu13

Yeh the dude gives pretty big sashimi pieces here too. Not Vancouver big but much better than what I usually get from restaurants around here.

I sometimes feel like I can get more food for less than I would pay at all you can eat. Their party trays are OP.
And I have long been considering "all you can eat" to be synonymous with "low quality", at least in terms of sushi.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

On a related note, a sushi place opened in North York and I was talking to the owner and realized he was a chef at Samurai Sushi in Vancouver lol. Weird seeing a Vietnamese-owned sushi joint here but the sushi was pretty good. Rarely see Toronto sushi joints serve regular (non-spicy) chopped scallop rolls for some reason.
Name of said sushi place?

I sometimes feel like I can get more food for less than I would pay at all you can eat. Their party trays are OP.
And I have long been considering "all you can eat" to be synonymous with "low quality", at least in terms of sushi.

Yeah I can't eat enough food to make the $22 AYCE to be worth it, lol.

Name of said sushi place?

Biggu Sushi House. Just to manage expectations, it's good as a neighbourhood take-out joint lol. Not something I would travel 30+ minutes for.

Top Bottom