• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

FrigidEh

Hey guys,

I live in the GTA and it's my friends birthday soon. I have a $100 budget and I want to get him the most annoying/inconvenient gift possible. It can be a physical object, an activity, or really anything. Anyone have some good ideas?

zroid

Banned
Hey guys,

I live in the GTA and it's my friends birthday soon. I have a $100 budget and I want to get him the most annoying/inconvenient gift possible. It can be a physical object, an activity, or really anything. Anyone have some good ideas?

Get him a pet

I once got a pet for my birthday when I was in high school... I still have it

Hey guys,

A dildo, one large enough be an inconvenience to even hide.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I am not a fan of poutine or sushi
You're a philistine and a monster.
Probably because most sushi in Toronto is not that good.
Any all you can eat place automatically makes it average to below average. Other places are run by Chinese or Koreans; I've never been to a good Chinese run place though the Korean ones can be ok (Sushi Moto). Disregarding the high end places that serve you each piece as it's made, I'd say Sushi Zen, Solo Sushi Bekkan, and Hiro Sushi are all great. Solo Sushi Bekkan also seems to get the sushi rice done fantastically too.
I don't think the majority even qualifies as sushi.
Lies and slander! I haven't had any from Vancouver yet, but I can say for damn sure the sushi here is better than Montreal.
Hey guys,

A Hero Burger gift certificate.

Serious suggestion, maybe go to thisiswhyimbroke.com and find a good gag gift there?

Edit: just for fuzzy, I walked by the poop cafe in Koreatown. There was a small line up inside, so I couldn't buy shit for you to eat, fuzzy... >=[

dluu13

You're a philistine and a monster.

Any all you can eat place automatically makes it average to below average. Other places are run by Chinese or Koreans; I've never been to a good Chinese run place though the Korean ones can be ok (Sushi Moto). Disregarding the high end places that serve you each piece as it's made, I'd say Sushi Zen, Solo Sushi Bekkan, and Hiro Sushi are all great. Solo Sushi Bekkan also seems to get the sushi rice done fantastically too.

Lies and slander! I haven't had any from Vancouver yet, but I can say for damn sure the sushi here is better than Montreal.

A Hero Burger gift certificate.

Serious suggestion, maybe go to thisiswhyimbroke.com and find a good gag gift there?

Edit: just for fuzzy, I walked by the poop cafe in Koreatown. There was a small line up inside, so I couldn't buy shit for you to eat, fuzzy... >=[

Speaking of rice, there's this little place near me called salmon lovers. Their rice is good. The first time I had sushi in Toronto it tasted like they used plain rice. It was some place on bloor.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of rice, there's this little place near me called salmon lovers. Their rice is good. The first time I had sushi in Toronto it tasted like they used plain rice. It was some place on bloor.
I find most places don't use good rice and good vinegar, it Solo Sushi Bekkan is legit good.

:/ I had Korean BBQ and now I'm hungry again...sigh...

Seriously considering switching to Public Mobile. That $40 monthly deal theyre advertising seems appetizing but I mostly just want to ditch Wind's atrocious coverage and non-LTE nonsense. What should I do?

wamberz1

Annnnnnnnd I'm here. Haven't looked around a ton yet but can't wait to explore the city. I'm near coxwell and gerrard. Looks like I have my pick of indian food... I'll have to try it all out and see whats good.

So what's good to do in Toronto? There for a couple of weeks end Nov/start of Dec. Coming from UK.

And what's the easiest way to get to Montreal for a couple of days? Car, train or plane?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So what's good to do in Toronto? There for a couple of weeks end Nov/start of Dec. Coming from UK.

And what's the easiest way to get to Montreal for a couple of days? Car, train or plane?

Via Rail (train) would probably be my preferred option. Less hassle than renting a car and you don't need to go through airport procedure.

Lexxism

Use our world class TTC.

Will it fix their coverage issues? Doubt it. Don't even have a solid date for LTE either.
Probably not. You can't never go wrong with Public Mobile network. The best decision I had since I switched from Bell last year.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
aajY7Wu.jpg

:|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Both are disgusting

I'm a really picky eater though, and have never liked or eaten cheese. nor do I like sushi or pasta or most Mexican.
Go buy another controller...! >=[
Annnnnnnnd I'm here. Haven't looked around a ton yet but can't wait to explore the city. I'm near coxwell and gerrard. Looks like I have my pick of indian food... I'll have to try it all out and see whats good.
Let us know how it goes and if you need some suggestions

Depends on what you're interested in and how much you want to pay. The OP has a guide on stuff to do you can review too. I think we may have a meet up in Toronto early Dec as well.

As for Montreal, all ways are pretty easy in my opinion, but cost is up to you.
Car - cheapest but you gotta drive and find parking in Montreal but at least you can drive around the city. However, traffic there is a nightmare and the Metro there is pretty decent, so it would depend on you.
Bus - cheap and may have wifi but may not have a washroom.
Train - my preferred option. More expensive than bus, there's a washroom, you can buy snacks, there's free wifi, and it drops you downtown. There can be train delays but it's probably slightly faster than bus depending on the weather.
Plane - fastest but most expensive and can be a pain and I don't recommend it. You'd have to go to the airport, hopefully the one on the island and not Pearson, so you'd have to get there, deal with security and check in, get on the flight, pick up any luggage in Montreal, and then you still have to make your way to town vs the other options that plop you in the city.

There's a lot to do in Montreal and I think the French food and fine dining may be slightly better over there than Toronto, but we kill them on ethnic food (Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, African, etc). There's a reddit thread that provided suggestions for Montreal and I found it quite helpful.

dluu13

welcome! hope you have fun during your time here

1. I'm no good at recommending activities so I'll leave that to others.
2. Train is my preferred option, as stated by a couple of others and for the same reasons.

dluu13

Back in Vancouver nobody even puts up lights on my street anymore. People used to hang lights up all over. Thing is, my neighbors are all the same so that probably means nobody cares anymore.

I passed by the site of the 3 car accident at Don Mills and Lawrence during my work commute. There's still a Global news truck parked there. Heard it was a mess. Hope those kids pull through

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'd line up. Pablo is pretty fucking good.
I don't recall seeing them in Tokyo...geez how much did I miss there...
what is it with japan and cheese-based desserts
Cheesecake is pretty American so it isn't unusual for them to expand products Americans and Canadians are more familiar with. We do have some Japanese baked good places with other stuff, probabaly the most accessible is Neo Coffee Bar. It's not as if a lot of people here would like red bean based desserts to make them successful.
Nine times out of ten I find that lining up for these places leads to some sort of disappointment. You can probably find the same quality elsewhere without the fuss.
I'd say Tetsu is pretty decent for a fresh cheesecake. Definitely not worth 30 min wait though. I think it just goes to show people here are really into trying new stuff.

Am I right in saying tax on most good/services is about 15% in Toronto?

And is the tax included in the advertised price. Thinking of electronics in particular.

Depends on what you're interested in and how much you want to pay. The OP has a guide on stuff to do you can review too. I think we may have a meet up in Toronto early Dec as well.

As for Montreal, all ways are pretty easy in my opinion, but cost is up to you.
Car - cheapest but you gotta drive and find parking in Montreal but at least you can drive around the city. However, traffic there is a nightmare and the Metro there is pretty decent, so it would depend on you.
Bus - cheap and may have wifi but may not have a washroom.
Train - my preferred option. More expensive than bus, there's a washroom, you can buy snacks, there's free wifi, and it drops you downtown. There can be train delays but it's probably slightly faster than bus depending on the weather.
Plane - fastest but most expensive and can be a pain and I don't recommend it. You'd have to go to the airport, hopefully the one on the island and not Pearson, so you'd have to get there, deal with security and check in, get on the flight, pick up any luggage in Montreal, and then you still have to make your way to town vs the other options that plop you in the city.

There's a lot to do in Montreal and I think the French food and fine dining may be slightly better over there than Toronto, but we kill them on ethnic food (Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, African, etc). There's a reddit thread that provided suggestions for Montreal and I found it quite helpful.

Thanks (and to all others who replied too). Looks like train is the way to go.

Will check out the stuff in the OP :)

Lexxism

Am I right in saying tax on most good/services is about 15% in Toronto?

And is the tax included in the advertised price. Thinking of electronics in particular.
13%. The price doesn't include the tax. Price + 13% = what you will pay. You will also pay environmental fees on some electronics.

The Honest Ed's tribute at Bathurst station is so cool. I kind of want them to make it permanent.

I remember my Mom telling me stories about how when she first immigrated to Canada in the 80s she'd buy almost all her home stuff from Honest Ed's. I think she still uses the kitchen utensils she got from there back then.

explodet

Bleah. I have to start looking for a new place to live.
The roommate is being more inconsiderate than usual and it's driving us nuts.

The rent's so cheap but the hit we're taking on sanity is starting to not be worth it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bleah. I have to start looking for a new place to live.
The roommate is being more inconsiderate than usual and it's driving us nuts.

The rent's so cheap but the hit we're taking on sanity is starting to not be worth it.
Same reason I want to switch company's.

Good luck with the search.

Top Bottom