• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

yyzjohn

Banned
From some Twitter post I can't find at the moment, the problem continues to be lack of education and old people. I still believe this is a problem that time will sort out and every year that goes by there'll be less of a chance of this happening. Horrible to say, I know.

Canada has its crazies like the Fords but even the Fords didn't run a campaign as sexist, racist, and xenophobic as Trump did. People worried that someone exactly like Trump is coming to this country are just going to drive themselves crazy because I don't see that happening or coming anywhere close to resonating with people here as it did in the US. Even our own George W. Bush clone wasn't anywhere near as as bad as George W. Bush and his ideologies wore out their welcome relatively quickly.

Yeah old people, look at these ancient Trump supporters...

621811552.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x718.jpg

zroid

Banned
My parents have about $1200 CDN worth of Indian Rupees and all of a sudden yesterday the Indian government decided to disallow all 500 and 1000 rupee banknotes, rendering the cash worthless. None of the local currency exchange outlets will accept them anymore, the only way is to deposit the money into an Indian bank account, which we don't have. What a fucking joke.

The deadline is December 31st and then it's as good as junk!

yyzjohn

Banned
My parents have about $1200 CDN worth of Indian Rupees and all of a sudden yesterday the Indian government decided to disallow all 500 and 1000 rupee banknotes, rendering the cash worthless. None of the local currency exchange outlets will accept them anymore, the only way is to deposit the money into an Indian bank account, which we don't have. What a fucking joke.

Guys at work were telling me about this, sounds like a shit move, sucks man.

Lexxism

Just curious if this is a requirement. My wife wants to upgrade her permanent residence to a Canadian Citizenship but didn't want to give up the US one to do it.
Dual citizenship. She doesn't need to renounce her US citizenship when she got her Canadian citizenship.

Well this is a new one. Rogers locked my phone 9 months after switching to Wind. After a good 45 minutes with their customer service I got it unlocked again. Even when i'm not with them they screw me.

Mupod

Wage theft is the gift that keeps on giving. Last year I had to send 30 pages of documents to the CRA to demonstrate that my previous employer never paid his taxes despite deducting money from my pay every month for it. They said everything was fine after that. Now they're demanding the same thing again for CPP contributions, even though that was part of what I sent them before. Ugh. Still owed $4000 I'll never see on top of that because they made no effort to recover it even though I went through all the process I was supposed to. Meanwhile they keep coming after me for this shit.

I'd say 'startups, never again' but I mean I had no choice when I took that job after moving here. Wouldn't have lasted another 2 weeks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just curious if this is a requirement. My wife wants to upgrade her permanent residence to a Canadian Citizenship but didn't want to give up the US one to do it.

No requirement. In fact, to 'give up' US citizenship, it has quite the cost associated with it. It went from about $80 (just for paper work fees, it was technically free) pre-new banking reporting from other countries in 2010 to $450. Now it sits at around $2,300 to give up your US citizenship.

There's not suppose to be any barrier to preventing someone from giving up their citizenship, but $2,300 seems like a pretty steep barrier. I mean, any rich fuck trying to avoid taxes won't care about $2,300 at all. But for a normal low class family, it's a chuck to say the least.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
No requirement. In fact, to 'give up' US citizenship, it has quite the cost associated with it. It went from about $80 (just for paper work fees, it was technically free) pre-new banking reporting from other countries in 2010 to $450. Now it sits at around $2,300 to give up your US citizenship.

There's not suppose to be any barrier to preventing someone from giving up their citizenship, but $2,300 seems like a pretty steep barrier. I mean, any rich fuck trying to avoid taxes won't care about $2,300 at all. But for a normal low class family, it's a chuck to say the least.
"WELL, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING LEAVE?! Just give us a post dated check for 2300 USD and fill these forms out."

ZZMitch

Do you travel to the US often? Ever have trouble with border security agents and stuff due to renouncing citizenship?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, was the reason you renounced your citizenship due to having to pay US taxes while living abroad?

explodet

I keep thinking back to Rob Ford and what Rick Mercer said about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w87i7mt3KY&t=60s

They are saying we would rather have a guy on crack than a mayor who raises our taxes. They are saying: 'we don’t care if he drives his Escalade drunk through the city - we care that he wants to privatize garbage collection.' They are saying, 'We will vote for a gerbil if we get a dollar back.'

Rob Ford's popularity has nothing to do with the man himself. He is a circus act. But his politics are very real, and they should not be written off just because he's about to be.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wait tomorrow??!
I was thinking it was the week after D:

Dads birthday tomorrow so I'll have to bail

When: Saturday, November 12th @ 7PM
Where: Dundas Video (menu and more info)
Pre-Meetup: Tim Hortons near Bathurst Station @ 6PM
Post-Meetup: Likely to be Old School

Renewed

Been a bit miffed over what happened. I don't want to let the results of the election get me down so I'm gonna keep my chin up.

Yeah meetup's tomorrow, I updated stuff like pre meetup and such so feel free to help me advance through MHGen :D

Quadratic

Been a bit miffed over what happened. I don't want to let the results of the election get me down so I'm gonna keep my chin up.

Yeah meetup's tomorrow, I updated stuff like pre meetup and such so feel free to help me advance through MHGen :D

Maybe have the pre meetup at the Tim Hortons at Dundas/Bathurst instead since it's walking distance to Dundas Video?

Something came up so I probably will have a drink at Dundas Video then bail.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe have the pre meetup at the Tim Hortons at Dundas/Bathurst instead since it's walking distance to Dundas Video?

Goddamn it, Quad! Leave some librarians for the rest of us...!
Here's a touristy photo I took yesterday with a Galaxy S7

Toronto City Hall (Galaxy S7) by Carl Sim, on Flickr

This phone's camera is pretty great for the most part
That is a nice pic.

Renewed

That's the Tims I linked in the thread but I guess I wrote Bathurst Station, just fixed that.

I see how it is ;(

Quick

Banned
Some Questions

- Can you actually get permanent residency after completing a degree and finding work, or is it more difficult and complicated then it sounds?
- Do international students qualify for scholarships, and would I qualify for any?
- What are some good universities and cities I should look out for? I'd like urban, but would definitely consider rural, if costs are lower.
- How's the job market for tech?
- Anything that's important, that I may not have thought about?
- Is my plan impossible?

I can't answer all of these questions, but NHL-GAF has a member who did exactly like what you're thinking about. Studied in Canada, became a permanent resident, found a job. So your plan is certainly possible, though I can't speak for him in terms of the hoops he had to jump through to get to where he is now.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Come back when she has significant support from the Canadian people.

:O

How have you been?

I'm positive this isn't the right place to post this, but i'm not sure what other thread this post will fit in so here i go.

I'm a U.S citizen who has been thinking about studying in Canada for a while, and on account of being a minority and the recent election, I'm starting to give this much more thought. I'm currently about to finish my first year of studies for a bachelors in electrical engineering at a state school, and was thinking about finishing the rest of my degree in Canada, and more likely than not, staying.

Some Info

- 3.7 GPA and 33 ACT/1500 SAT score
- Speak fluent English, no French.
- Completed first years classes in Calc, Chem, and Phys, as well as a few gen eds.
- Have lived abroad, in worst places, for a few months before.
- I would prefer a university that accepts U.S financial aid and let's me work, but i'm somewhat in the dark about how this works.
- My current overall cost for college is about $27000 USD per year, but FA, scholarships, and work, reduce it down too about 4000-5000 USD. I plan to pay the remainder off with loans. My parents are willing to support me, but I'd rather prefer they didn't.

Some Questions

- Can you actually get permanent residency after completing a degree and finding work, or is it more difficult and complicated then it sounds?
- Do international students qualify for scholarships, and would I qualify for any?
- What are some good universities and cities I should look out for? I'd like urban, but would definitely consider rural, if costs are lower.
- How's the job market for tech?
- Anything that's important, that I may not have thought about?
- Is my plan impossible?

I'm pretty sure your plan is possible but I'm not sure how schools work for international students. Some of it might depend on where you go to school. I don't know much about electrical engineering but I think/heard/read that University of Toronto has a good program. As for other schools, a quick google search came up with this site which says that UBC, McGill and Waterloo also have good programs. It's a place to start some research on schools at least. You can check out the individual school's website for information about scholarships.

Except for Quebec and some areas in other provinces, Canada is English speaking; most of us don't speak French so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Like Lexxus said, you could try the Canadian PoliGaf threads or just open up a new thread entirely so you have more responses from outside of the Toronto area.

I can't answer all of these questions, but NHL-GAF has a member who did exactly like what you're thinking about. Studied in Canada, became a permanent resident, found a job. So your plan is certainly possible, though I can't speak for him in terms of the hoops he had to jump through to get to where he is now.

I was going to mention him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure who it was from NHL GAF, but I know our somewhat very own ZZMITCH went through it. Yes yes, even though he's a dirty Bruins fan.

Edit: LOLOLOLOLOL DAT EHLERS OWN GOAL IN OVERTIME!

trebbble

Any Raptors fans? Have some tickets to tonight's Raptors NBA game vs the New York Knicks, 3rd row, upper bowl. Can't make it unfortunately. Looking for 160 CAD for the pair.

ZZMitch

Hmmm...ZZMITCH though is the same situation as he's from the land of freedom.

Haha well my situation is a bit different since my dad was born in Canada. He never got U.S. citizenship meaning that I was born a dual U.S.-Canada citizen even tho I never actually lived in Canada until I came here for school. Never had to worry about visas and stuff like that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I found a job! Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!

I am officially a fitness instructor for kids!
Fitness instructor for Japanese kids...? Congrats!
Haha well my situation is a bit different since my dad was born in Canada. He never got U.S. citizenship meaning that I was born a dual U.S.-Canada citizen even tho I never actually lived in Canada until I came here for school. Never had to worry about visas and stuff like that.
Ahhh. So you're only half free.

Top Bottom