• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm upset but y'all are moving the goalposts.

"Toronto sports" went from never making the playoffs to now "oh we lose in the playoffs now"

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, it's how every soccer tournament (see World Cup, Champions League etc.) breaks ties.
I guess that's ok for soccer since goals are a lot rarer, but in of the belief a team championship should be decided on the field not at either ends.

I'd still say the same thing if we'd won as well.

zroid

Banned
I'm upset but y'all are moving the goalposts.

"Toronto sports" went from never making the playoffs to now "oh we lose in the playoffs now"

The thing about "Toronto sports" is it was never about performance. It's about always finding new and more dramatic ways of breaking our hearts. :(

I guess that's ok for soccer since goals are a lot rarer, but in of the belief a team championship should be decided on the field not at either ends.

I'd still say the same thing if we'd won as well.

penalty kicks are terrible, but the inherent problem with soccer is if you let the teams play it out like in hockey, they would literally die. there's no respite on the bench, and the game is a marathon, not a sprint. the only option would be to postpone the match and continue it another day, and there are too many logistical issues for this to be realistic.

etrain911

Hey Toronto-GAF! I'm currently applying to U Toronto from the University of Michigan and I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience (going to school from out of the country). What was it like? What was the hardest part about it?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Does that ACC allow backpacks? I brought mine to a Jays game a few months ago.
If not, my $160 ticket goes down the drain.

I bring mine all the time from work.

They just check it and obviously don't be carrying stupid shit in there but should be fine.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does that ACC allow backpacks? I brought mine to a Jays game a few months ago.
If not, my $160 ticket goes down the drain.

They just check it and obviously don't be carrying stupid shit in there but should be fine.

this is correct. I went with mine and they just ask you to open it, shine a flashlight inside, maybe move things around a little and then send you on your way.

Oddly enough, I've found that at sporting events, girls get searched much more thoroughly than guys...

Boogie

A month ago I walked into the ACC for the HHoF Alumni game, half-dressed for my red serge duty for the pregame ceremony.

I had my duty pistol in my damn pocket. The security guy looked confused, then started to pat me down out of habit. I laughed and said "well, you're going to find something." A dude in the lineup started laughing his ass off, it got no reaction from the security guard, as he literally tapped on my gun without a reaction.

Y'all will be fine.

dluu13

Hey Toronto-GAF! I'm currently applying to U Toronto from the University of Michigan and I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience (going to school from out of the country). What was it like? What was the hardest part about it?

I assume you're coming in for graduate school. If you are going into a research stream then having a scholarship will help immensely because that means your professor won't need to pay you. I wasn't an international myself but I know a lot of internationals and most of them had scholarships.

etrain911

I assume you're coming in for graduate school. If you are going into a research stream then having a scholarship will help immensely because that means your professor won't need to pay you. I wasn't an international myself but I know a lot of internationals and most of them had scholarships.

Yup! I am hoping to go in for graduate school. I don't know how competitive the scholarships are (I'm guessing very), but I hope to do my best.

TTC is the purest form of garbage I've ever seen. ONE HOUR AND TWENTY FIVE MINUTES it took me to go from Sheppard to Wellesley. Notice I say Wellesley because I had to get off at Wellesley to walk to Queen because even after an hour and a half, TTC still wasn't able to take me to my destination due to yet another service disruption.

On a related note, I gave up my Presto card for tokens because of how embarrassingly bad this rollout is. I bet there will still be TTC entrances that only take tokens until 2018. We're probably the only western civilization using tokens for public transit. Even the arcades at Dave and Busters have more advanced technology.

dluu13

Yup! I am hoping to go in for graduate school. I don't know how competitive the scholarships are (I'm guessing very), but I hope to do my best.
I'm speaking from the perspective of a research grad student (recently graduated). If you are in a course-based graduate program I am not sure how it works.

The Canadian scholarships are not easy for international students to get. I don't know when your deadlines are but you should really look into whether there are American scholarships that allow you to study in Canada. From my experience any of these scholarships are are very competitive as well, so you'll want to have a professor look over and revise your applications with you.

That being said, if you have professors in mind who you want to work for you should try and contact them early and let them know about you/ask if they have openings in the lab. Some professors will list on their websites some skill requirements and tell interested students to email their cv directly to them in addition to applying through the department. If your professor likes you enough then they'll probably accept you regardless of whether you have a scholarship.

dluu13

TTC is the purest form of garbage I've ever seen. ONE HOUR AND TWENTY FIVE MINUTES it took me to go from Sheppard to Wellesley. Notice I say Wellesley because I had to get off at Wellesley to walk to Queen because even after an hour and a half, TTC still wasn't able to take me to my destination due to yet another service disruption.

On a related note, I gave up my Presto card for tokens because of how embarrassingly bad this rollout is. I bet there will still be TTC entrances that only take tokens until 2018. We're probably the only western civilization using tokens for public transit. Even the arcades at Dave and Busters have more advanced technology.

I have to get to Scarborough tomorrow morning. Are you telling me I should take plan to get there an hour early?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Toronto-Age |OT5| Even Dave and Busters has more advanced technology than our transit

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm going to take the TTC to work for the first time in my life. I looked at the trip planner and it's saying it'll take me ~1h20 to get there by 6:40am. I already hate working DT during the day. I'm really going to miss my $5 night parking. :(

Quick

Banned
I'm already exhausted from clearing my driveway of snow.

I have a snowblower, but that shit is heavy. I also had to shovel a bit, so my arms are pretty sore. Also helped my neighbour out since he looked hopeless trying to dig. Pretty sure his house only has one shovel too. I remember last year helping his family out a bit one time since they were taking turns using their shovel.

So the delays were from people trying to all pack on to the train?
That being said, the last time I tried to do this trip, half of the time the train was running slow for track maintenance.

It's usually packed heading south to downtown. Don't think there were any issues for trains heading northbound. On my trip today I heard something like 2 "fire investigations" (St. George, Union), 1 medical emergency (St. Clair West - I think), 3 "delays" (Bloor, Lawrence, Eglington).

Mupod

I told my roommate last night I need a snow float. He had no idea wtf I was talking about until I described it in detail. Is snow float not universal terminology?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yukon-sleigh-scoop-with-wear-strip-22-in-0596809p.html#srp

One of those.

But yeah I just realized I have no winter boots and we only have a standard snow shovel for a big driveway. We moved in to this place last year at the tail end of winter and I only had to shovel once, so it wasn't a big deal. I don't mind though, good workout and saves me some time from having to go to the gym.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I told my roommate last night I need a snow float. He had no idea wtf I was talking about until I described it in detail. Is snow float not universal terminology?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yukon-sleigh-scoop-with-wear-strip-22-in-0596809p.html#srp

One of those.

But yeah I just realized I have no winter boots and we only have a standard snow shovel for a big driveway. We moved in to this place last year at the tail end of winter and I only had to shovel once, so it wasn't a big deal. I don't mind though, good workout and saves me some time from having to go to the gym.

Just looks like a huge ass snow shovel to me lol

dluu13

It's usually packed heading south to downtown. Don't think there were any issues for trains heading northbound. On my trip today I heard something like 2 "fire investigations" (St. George, Union), 1 medical emergency (St. Clair West - I think), 3 "delays" (Bloor, Lawrence, Eglington).

Yeah, the train was pretty much empty except that it was moving at a crawl.

gabbo

Finally. I cut it too close to the wire for my comfort, but I got (and took) a job offer this morning. Still have two interviews for other positions in the development field I'm going to take, but... feeeeeew *wipes sweat from brow* That's a good feeling now that I'm nearly broke as shit.

Next meet up, a round of shots on me.

dluu13

Finally. I cut it too close to the wire for my comfort, but I got (and took) a job offer this morning. Still have two interviews for other positions in the development field I'm going to take, but... feeeeeew *wipes sweat from brow* That's a good feeling now that I'm nearly broke as shit.

Next meet up, a round of shots on me.

Congrats! Don't go broke by buying us all too many drinks!

Top Bottom