• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quick

Banned
What's the best website to look for jobs? I'm either out of a job for a month or for the foreseeable future.

I've been going through Indeed.ca the last couple of months, though not quite scraping everything I think.

N° 2048

Is it because of the cold?

Maybe this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/5l02nv/bus_hit_a_pole_at_queen_and_sherbourne_brought/

hvrijrk.jpg

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best website to look for jobs? I'm either out of a job for a month or for the foreseeable future.

I've been going through Indeed.ca the last couple of months, though not quite scraping everything I think.

You can try Peter's New Jobs. It's basically a curated list of postings in the GTA. It's organized pretty nicely and it's sent daily. It's free for a month then it costs a fee. If you want, I can forward you an example since I'm still on the list.

soultron

Banned
Went to A&C Games on boxing day, bought a used PS2. Wrong AV cable. Exchanged that. Finally able to test the memory card I bought to discover it's dead. Exchanged that.

Today, playing a used copy of Time Crisis 2 I also bought, I discovered that it freezes half way through the game. Look at the disc, it's been buffed pretty heavily. Going back to exchange that today.

I've had such a brutal experience with these guys that I don't know if I'll go back again. They're really nice but I can't justify losing anymore time exchanging stuff that doesn't work properly when it's sold.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to A&C Games on boxing day, bought a used PS2. Wrong AV cable. Exchanged that. Finally able to test the memory card I bought to discover it's dead. Exchanged that.

Today, playing a used copy of Time Crisis 2 I also bought, I discovered that it freezes half way through the game. Look at the disc, it's been buffed pretty heavily. Going back to exchange that today.

I've had such a brutal experience with these guys that I don't know if I'll go back again. They're really nice but I can't justify losing anymore time exchanging stuff that doesn't work properly when it's sold.
Could you not test it there...? >:
If I got something that old and if they could test it on the spot, I'd do it for sure.

Wish you'd bought my PS2. It's just retiring in my closet. Though I can't even guarantee it works now since it's been there so long.

gabbo

If I got something that old and if they could test it on the spot, I'd do it for sure.

Wish you'd bought my PS2. It's just retiring in my closet. Though I can't even guarantee it works now since it's been there so long.

I'm pretty sure they allow testing of games in-store.
I've stuck with LastGen on College for my used stuff. Haven't had an issue so far.

Hieberrr

My GF and I are looking into buying a house in the summer/fall of next year, but I don't think we'll have enough the comfortably buy the place, renovate, and get all of the furniture.

What are some good rental option out there? Any other recos? I'm living at home at them moment and looking to move out. We both currently live in the west end and work downtown.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure they allow testing of games in-store.
I've stuck with LastGen on College for my used stuff. Haven't had an issue so far.
Well PS2 is more like last last gen.
My GF and I are looking into buying a house in the summer/fall of next year, but I don't think we'll have enough the comfortably buy the place, renovate, and get all of the furniture.

What are some good rental option out there? Any other recos? I'm living at home at them moment and looking to move out. We both currently live in the west end and work downtown.
You could try for a condo since there are a bunch coming up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Like, an actual detached house is what you're hoping for? Because if you'r even remotely able to afford one, you'll comfortably be able to purchase a 2 bedroom condo on the west end (I love Humber Bay <3) then sell and buy a house in a few years when you're in a better place for that.

We're looking at one and two bedroom condos on the west end (ie; west of Trinity Bellwoods, but east of the Humber Loop, hopefully). We will never be able to afford a detached house in the GTA and that's okay.

Yeah, they have stations setup to test games. I'm certain you could go over cables and other stuff too. Although as soultron notes, multiple failures means they're probably not bothering to check these themselves, which raises red flags. Glad I'm out of retro game collecting now. I just go in for the memorabilia.

Hieberrr

Like, an actual detached house is what you're hoping for? Because if you'r even remotely able to afford one, you'll comfortably be able to purchase a 2 bedroom condo on the west end (I love Humber Bay <3) then sell and buy a house in a few years when you're in a better place for that.

We're looking at one and two bedroom condos on the west end (ie; west of Trinity Bellwoods, but east of the Humber Loop, hopefully). We will never be able to afford a detached house in the GTA and that's okay.

A semi-detached or even a townhouse. We're not too far away from being able to do it, it's just that there's all of this additional money that would have to go into it to make it work. So we'd be on instant noodles and rice for a while.

I haven't actually considered Humber Bay area or Trinity, thanks!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
A semi-detached or even a townhouse. We're not too far away from being able to do it, it's just that there's all of this additional money that would have to go into it to make it work. So we'd be on instant noodles and rice for a while.

I haven't actually considered Humber Bay area or Trinity, thanks!
Mix both rice and instant noodles. D:

soultron

Banned
The issue I had with Time Crisis 2 was half-way through the game, it's not really like I'd expect them to test it that long, to be fair. The memory card I don't know how they let that one into their inventory, really.

Anyhow, just had a streak of bad luck with them. I managed to get a better copy of TC2 that works really well and is in much better condition, so that's a definite silver lining!

ZZMitch

Any of you guys work in GIS/remote sensing related fields?

I am finishing my Master's at Queen's in the fall and want to get a job back to Toronto when I'm done. Just thinking about potential companies etc to look for when I start the job search.

Also thinking about PhD but the deadlines are late January and I dunno if I want to commit myself to 5 more years of school justttt yet

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
2017 has to be better than 2016. Plus it's my year too (year of the rooster) so all good stuff is due to me.

All bad stuff is due to fuzzy...

dluu13

Any of you guys work in GIS/remote sensing related fields?

I am finishing my Master's at Queen's in the fall and want to get a job back to Toronto when I'm done. Just thinking about potential companies etc to look for when I start the job search.

Also thinking about PhD but the deadlines are late January and I dunno if I want to commit myself to 5 more years of school justttt yet

congrats on getting your degree
dunno any jobs in in your field though
just finished my master's (mech) in september and i learned that academia is not a game I want to play

p.s. happy new year everybody
and about meetups, once per month may be too much, but we did it! (even though I missed 1.5)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, supposedly alpha is going to make the meet up thread for January. If the Blue Jackets can win 15 in a row, we can go for 13 in a row for meet ups.

Happy New Year 6ixGAF!

Been kind of laughing at locals over here complaining about the bitter cold two days ago(it was fucking only 3-4C... lol), and then about how unusually warm it got today(it was 10 C), which made me think about home and the ongoing struggle between #TeamCold Vs. #TeamWarm.

My family told me it snowed a couple days after I left(it was raining hard on Boxing Day when I left), and there was a little freezing rain. But it warms my heart to think that it is always somehow worse in Montreal.

Hope you all are doing well.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
MORE meetups?

But my wallet.
You can't go poor from just diet cokes
;D
Happy New Year 6ixGAF!

Been kind of laughing at locals over here complaining about the bitter cold two days ago(it was fucking only 3-4C... lol), and then about how unusually warm it got today(it was 10 C), which made me think about home and the ongoing struggle between #TeamCold Vs. #TeamWarm.

My family told me it snowed a couple days after I left(it was raining hard on Boxing Day when I left), and there was a little freezing rain. But it warms my heart to think that it is always somehow worse in Montreal.

Hope you all are doing well.
It was a bit chilly during the week last week though it's been pretty ok the past few days. Would still prefer warmer though we're going to get it and then a bunch of rain

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Happy New Year, TO-GAF. It is the year I will move out of my shitty overpriced apartment into an adequate overpriced condo.
Pleeeeease

Top Bottom