• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
My fiance's father gifted us a bunch of money for our honeymoon so we're looking more into hotels.

France, Italy and Denmark for about 2.5-3 weeks. I can speak a bit of french, well quebecois, but I'm curious about getting by elsewhere with only english.

Nice to know, yeah not super interested in tourist traps, aside from some cliche Paris things.

I was in France and Italy. In Paris we had an advantage since one of the people I was with could speak French (French immersion). Even without that, I think we would have been okay. We did most of the touristy things: Eiffel Tower, Versailles, the Louvre, Notre Dame. Hot dogs were amazing in France: hot dogs with Dijon mustard in a baguette.

In Italy, I was in Pisa (which really, only thing there is the tower), Florence, Venice and Rome. In Italy we mainly walked around. In Venice we went to St Marks Basilica and also fed the pigeons in the square there. Rome was disappointing but we went to the Vatican and the Colosseum. We didn't know any Italian but had no problems getting around. We were also able to find people who spoke English.

If you are planning on going in some of the churches make sure you have long pants and no tank tops. They wouldn't let you in if you had shorts or a tank top on. At least when I was there.

It's been a while since I was there but I don't think that it would have changed all that much. In general, I'd say have an idea of where you want to go and how to get there.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
All that talk about cheesecake yesterday made me want some. Damn you kuro.
I went to my cousin's house yesterday for her son's 13th b-day. She made mini cheesecakes in muffin tins with an Oreo as the base of the muffins. I bet they were better than Uncle Tetsu's.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I was in France and Italy. In Paris we had an advantage since one of the people I was with could speak French (French immersion). Even without that, I think we would have been okay. We did most of the touristy things: Eiffel Tower, Versailles, the Louvre, Notre Dame. Hot dogs were amazing in France: hot dogs with Dijon mustard in a baguette.

In Italy, I was in Pisa (which really, only thing there is the tower), Florence, Venice and Rome. In Italy we mainly walked around. In Venice we went to St Marks Basilica and also fed the pigeons in the square there. Rome was disappointing but we went to the Vatican and the Colosseum. We didn't know any Italian but had no problems getting around. We were also able to find people who spoke English.

If you are planning on going in some of the churches make sure you have long pants and no tank tops. They wouldn't let you in if you had shorts or a tank top on. At least when I was there.

It's been a while since I was there but I don't think that it would have changed all that much. In general, I'd say have an idea of where you want to go and how to get there.

Thanks, that helps a lot. We might skip Rome in lieu of more time in other areas.

mr.rager

whenever someone mentions the leaning tower I always think of this picture and just burst out laughing.

zrBcFar.jpg

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, that helps a lot. We might skip Rome in lieu of more time in other areas.

No problem. Depending on how you travel, you may also want to pick up a rail pass. We went everywhere on trains (a few more countries than you're going to). If I'm remembering right, we spent a day on the beach in Nice (amazing soft serve ice cream), stayed in hostel that night in Nice then went to Monacco for the day, and then took the train to Italy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
All that talk about cheesecake yesterday made me want some. Damn you kuro.
I should post pics
I went to my cousin's house yesterday for her son's 13th b-day. She made mini cheesecakes in muffin tins with an Oreo as the base of the muffins. I bet they were better than Uncle Tetsu's.
I can unequivocally say your cousin's was better since you didn't wait 3 hours for it.

Mhee123

Neo Member
Apparently there was a new opening of Carl's Jr at Queen and Soho that opened about 3 days ago. I was in the neighborhood and figured why not? It was almost packed and everyone were taking pictures of the establishment. It was previously an HMV store, but it barely looks like it. It was in pristine condition. They even have an exclusive booth on the side for milkshakes/desserts. I'm not used to restaurants like this, so it's a new experience for me.

I accidentally ordered the 1/2 pound "$6 Burger" for $9! Good lord! I just barely survived that meal. Not saying anything in your order means that you get ALL of the ingredients in your burger. The Tomato slice was as thick as my thumb and I thought I was eating more onion slices than the actual burger. However, I did eat a legit good grease ball of meat. I now understand why every goddamn table has their own napkin dispenser. Couldn't use my hands after holding that burger. Even the bun was crumbling from the gooeyness. It was incredible.

Fries were the worst part of the meal in my opinion though, but that's just me. Maybe next time if I have the courage, I'll try something else.

P.S. They don't have a Coke Freestyle machine, so I'm very :(

GKoOyb9l.jpg

Paris is fun, read up on Versailles so you know where the automated ticket machines are so you can skip the first giant line and only have to stand in the 2nd giant
line

Also go to the catacombs and tell me how they are, I got there too late in the day to get inside =/

ahdurian

Apparently there was a new opening of Carl's Jr at Queen and Soho that opened about 3 days ago. I was in the neighborhood and figured why not? It was almost packed and everyone were taking pictures of the establishment. It was previously an HMV store, but it barely looks like it. It was in pristine condition. They even have an exclusive booth on the side for milkshakes/desserts. I'm not used to restaurants like this, so it's a new experience for me.

I accidentally ordered the 1/2 pound "$6 Burger" for $9! Good lord! I just barely survived that meal. Not saying anything in your order means that you get ALL of the ingredients in your burger. The Tomato slice was as thick as my thumb and I thought I was eating more onion slices than the actual burger. However, I did eat a legit good grease ball of meat. I now understand why every goddamn table has their own napkin dispenser. Couldn't use my hands after holding that burger. Even the bun was crumbling from the gooeyness. It was incredible.

Fries were the worst part of the meal in my opinion though, but that's just me. Maybe next time if I have the courage, I'll try something else.

GKoOyb9l.jpg

i got so confused when i saw that when I was walking from University to Spadina to pick up Xenoblade...I figured that had been there for a few weeks,but I was just never in the area

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching Mind of Chef and you can buy hot fresh ramen in Tokyo with their subway cards:

meanwhile in Toronto:
Heh. It's also refillable. And if you lose it, you can go to the info desk and inform them and then get another one issued.

I just want the TTC to run on damn time. Tokens and passes I can deal with; it's the other shit that pisses me off.

Other cities are innovating with their public transit and we might as well be stuck 20 years behind.
I got spoilers IRL after quitting social media internet :( what next, quit life
Let's just say a fucking coworker spoiled something MASSIVE in Dance after I had waited 8 fucking years for that book. Fuck her.

Weather like tomorrow is tough. Do I underdress for work but risk being cold in the morning but comfortable after work. Or dress so I'm warm and comfortable in the morning but then hot after work. Don't like carrying extra clothes.

ahdurian

I'm watching Mind of Chef and you can buy hot fresh ramen in Tokyo with their subway cards:

meanwhile in Toronto:

can also use them at places like 7/11 to buy stuff
my brother would let me use his when i was visiting him, and i would stock up on snacks there lol

lol at the reddit meet up thread on /r/toronto. Someone pointed out that from the picture gallery that the OP posted that the meet up was like 98% white and the OP blew up. Funny how they don't got the generic Asian demographic like in here.

Roto13

lol at the reddit meet up thread on /r/toronto. Someone pointed out that from the picture gallery that the OP posted that the meet up was like 98% white and the OP blew up. Funny how they don't got the generic Asian demographic like in here.

Why would anyone who isn't a straight white male go to Reddit?

Blackhead

Redarse
heh, I'm going to surprise everyone at the meetup with my secret identity

Sidenote: Is there any notable comic superhero set in Toronto?
Does Scott Pilgrim count?

Sober

I never noticed but I guess a good chunk of the meetup people is pretty white. But when you invite people to go to a pub, I dunno, maybe that's the crowd you get? I've been there quite a few times in the past 2 (or 3?) years and it's honestly not a huge deal.

Also I skimmed the comments and I could tell that most of those redditors don't go out ever, so no wonder they have to judge based on that. I pretty much recognized all the people in the pictures in the album, they're all cool people. I guess I didn't give it much thought if they were whiter than wonderbread or not but I guess thanks, reddit, for making a generic asian feel bad for hanging out with a majority white crowd.

What's next, creative writing courses? Cause those are full of white people too. Been in quite a few where I was the sole or only other asian in the class full of white people. People need to get over themselves.

Rinoa

lol TTC using scratch cards in 2015. I really want my hover passes dammit.

But LBR, the food from cafeterias that use those pre-pay always is cheap sucky fast food. I never been to a good one.

Went to that Holi Festival at Woodbine beach today since it was so warm out

Holi Festival by simulatron, on Flickr

RIP my clothes and hair

Noice, and yeah that's why I never go to those or suggest anyone going! Whatever you wore that day = gones

Sober

Just to be clear, I have nothing against how white a meetup can be or who you choose to hang with.

I'm just relishing the drama.
I feel like because TO-GAF is on a gaming board is why there is a relatively sized generic asian contingent at meetups. I can't speak with certainty but I think even something like Toronto meetups for SA goons are pretty wonderbread too. Just something about complaining about Toronto seems to involve a certain subset of people.

Also it just depends. Most of my friends are generic asians (not FOBs mind you) and me and a friend dragged them to meetups like these once or twice and they just would not have any of it.

(maybe generic asians just aren't big fans of the pub scene)

explodet

12 degrees by the lake? That sounds all right to me, too.
I could do without the thunderstorms, though.

And Scott Pilgrim TOTALLY counts.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What is the loop hole? Just buying tickets to movies you won't see and accumulate Scene points?

No, there's a Visa checkout thing (you don't need a visa credit card) that if you use, you get a free ticket voucher.

Turns out this applies to 2.99 saturday family movie tickets too

No, there's a Visa checkout thing (you don't need a visa credit card) that if you use, you get a free ticket voucher.

Turns out this applies to 2.99 saturday family movie tickets too

I just bought a ticket. Where is the free ticket voucher supposed to appear on the pdf? All I see is the code for the movie I bought the ticket for

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The best and worst American burger franchises in Toronto. (blogto)The amount of people defending Harvey's in the comments as 'better tasting, healthier' burger is.. interesting.

BEST

Five Guys

b.good

Bareburger

THE WORST

Carl's Jr.

Wahlburgers

Fatburger

GKoOyb9l.jpg

I want to give Carl's Jr a try. Their old slogan was 'If it doesn't get all over the place it doesn't belong in your face', so no surprising it's still living up to that.

Roto13

I had Fatburger in Vancouver and I don't know what the point was. It's not that good and, as far as fast food goes, it's not cheap, either.

RC

Banned
Any decent bars in Kitctener/Waterloo to watch the playoffs?
The way my schedule is looking it's doubtful I'll have enough free time to hang around Toronto.

Mupod

Just talked to my boss and quit my job. Got an offer at another company for almost twice the salary+benefits that I start at on Monday. Fuck yeah.

Top Bottom