• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Casey is good with the media and well spoken, gives his real thoughts, so they like him a lot. But he's one of the old school sort of coaches. He won't play young players until 'they earn it', opting for veterans on their last leg that can barely play anymore just because they have the experience. This slows the growth of our young core and really fucks with player's minutes sometimes. I haven't payed as much attention this year as the last couple, but his rotations would be in flux constantly. There are a few other coaches like this too and some are successful, but for those most part, those are superior game planning / adjustment coaches, whereas Casey is very mediocre. There's some value if the players like him, because the NBA is such a player and star driven league, but you do cap your potential a bit by sticking with a coach of his talents. The problem is, unless the Raptors lose this first round series, I wonder if they'll really move on. But of course firings like George Karl even after winning coach of the year, anything is possible.

Azih

I hate Paul Pierce so very much. We beat him and it'll have been a successful year.

Lou Will may be 6 man but I think he's been a bad influence on the team. Last year was all team ball. This year there's a lot more hero ball.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Since we're on the subject, I've been meaning to ask... Kave you brought up Casey being a bad coach before, and just wondering why that is? I've always been given the impression by the media (lol) that he's a good coach. Unfortunately I'm too uninformed to draw my own conclusions so I just have to take what they say at face value.

Casey is good with the media and well spoken, gives his real thoughts, so they like him a lot. But he's one of the old school sort of coaches. He won't play young players until 'they earn it', opting for veterans on their last leg that can barely play anymore just because they have the experience. This slows the growth of our young core and really fucks with player's minutes sometimes. I haven't payed as much attention this year as the last couple, but his rotations would be in flux constantly. There are a few other coaches like this too and some are successful, but for those most part, those are superior game planning / adjustment coaches, whereas Casey is very mediocre. There's some value if the players like him, because the NBA is such a player and star driven league, but you do cap your potential a bit by sticking with a coach of his talents. The problem is, unless the Raptors lose this first round series, I wonder if they'll really move on. But of course firings like George Karl even after winning coach of the year, anything is possible.

Basically this. Casey's biggest fault is his rotations are so god awful. He's very stubborn in making changes which can be both good and bad. The team has been suffering on defense for a long time and James Johnson one of our best defenders that the advanced stats show helps elevate the team defense when he's on the floor can go one game playing 20+ minutes and then the next game not play because of the coach's decision.

This Raps/Wiz series should be interesting as Wittman is one of few coaches in the league who probably is a lot worse with using what he has then Casey.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thought Masai was supposed to be a really good GM, shouldn't he notice Casey is shit?

Right after Masai signed, the majority thought Casey would be done. They decided to just let him coach out his contract, as they weren't expected to go anywhere as Masai got his plan in place. But after they traded Gay, the team 'miraculously' got better and Casey ended up with a 3 year contract extension despite the first round exit.

Masai has had good success as a GM, but it's over a relatively short period. Maybe he's great at scouting players, but a little suspect on coaches? I mean, he had George Karl in Denver when he already got there, so it's not like it was a guy he specifically wanted, or found. There may be front office reasons as well; Having a coach that gets along with the media and gets along with players is not something every team has. It can cover up a lot of issues the coach might have on the court. See Scott Brooks and OKC.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So tomorrow is the meet up.

You basketball nerds can debate the merits of Casey and his shitty rotation in person!

Except for Kave cause he'll do anything to avoid normal beer.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah for as much as I'm shitting on Casey he can get better, it's just frustrating in the moment.

Also the NBA as said above is a lot different then the NHL in having a coach who the players respect and play hard for can work a lot better than having just the best coach possible.

Look over at the Bulls. Tom Thibodeau is one of the better defensive coaches in the league, has had constant injuries to his best players and yet is still having that team win around 50 games a year no problem. Despite all this he might be out because a lot of the players don't like him and he's at odds with the front office.

zroid

Banned
Having a coach that gets along with the media and gets along with players is not something every team has. It can cover up a lot of issues the coach might have on the court. See Scott Brooks and OKC.

So basically Randy Carlyle and Dwane Casey are the same person

oh my god why

(they even both have a reputation for being "defensive-minded"!)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember where that chart was that I saw, but I recall seeing the Raps as one of the best young offensive teams in the league.

I just hope they can bring it and defeat the curse somewhat this post season. I'll take a Finals or championship as proof of that though Cleveland is pretty stronk...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto from the ISS.

pwpD1pt.jpg

So basically Randy Carlyle and Dwane Casey are the same person

oh my god why

(they even both have a reputation for being "defensive-minded"!)

It's no surprise that both Wittman and Casey came from Minnesota. Apparently the players in Washington have turned on Wittman now and hate him. So.. at least we don't have that going.

I don't remember where that chart was that I saw, but I recall seeing the Raps as one of the best young offensive teams in the league.

I just hope they can bring it and defeat the curse somewhat this post season. I'll take a Finals or championship as proof of that though Cleveland is pretty stronk...

One series win and a good showing (ie; more than 5 games) against Atlanta and I'll be pretty happy with the season. Raptors are still young, but they definitely have to rely on the talent they have growing. It's not what NBA players consider a destination city and they don't have enough money in the off season to give anyone a max with moving some players.

Yeah for as much as I'm shitting on Casey he can get better, it's just frustrating in the moment.

Also the NBA as said above is a lot different then the NHL in having a coach who the players respect and play hard for can work a lot better than having just the best coach possible.

Look over at the Bulls. Tom Thibodeau is one of the better defensive coaches in the league, has had constant injuries to his best players and yet is still having that team win around 50 games a year no problem. Despite all this he might be out because a lot of the players don't like him and he's at odds with the front office.

A system can win in the regular season in the NBA, but it really does just come down to talent in the end. Because you're playing so few players in the NBA compared to other sports, each one matters so much more. It's almost why the NBA is the least interesting league from a competitive standpoint. The best team will almost always win in the end because of how much impact the top players have, seven game series, etc.

Thibs issues are he grinds his teams into the ground in the regular season and they beat a lot of teams that are just not ready for the force that the Bulls come at them with. But in the playoffs teams end up matching that intensity every game, so the Bulls flame out eventually. Carlisle is probably the best example of one of those hard ass coaches that has actually won a lot and even won the whole thing. It's funny though because Casey did have a few years in Dallas, but he seemingly didn't take any of Carlisle's better attributes except being a tough guy. Once Dirk and the few veterans that respect Carlisle are gone in a couple of years, he'll be out too. He burns fuses quickly and I just don't see him sticking around for too long despite being a great coach.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Making the second round and I'm thrilled.

Besides if the Raps make the second round all the bandwagoners will be like:

42268-you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-y-mk6z.gif

Mupod

Last day of 'work'. I'm hoping to leave early for the meetup, but the owner STILL hasn't paid me for last month and I'm curious to see what goddamn insanity he'll try to pull this time. I don't think he's stupid enough to try and screw me out of 2 months' pay but he's done it to others and all they did was roll over and take it.

In other news I only needed one TTC token but I had to buy 5 because the store would not sell me less than that. Okay.

Brinbe

I told you guys last night... Never trust this team. Not with Casey coaching. Wiz in 4. And that's coming from Mr. Positivity.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TORONTO SPORTS TEAMS!

Fuck the Oilers and fuck the NHL. I'm about ready just to stop following hockey altogether. Bullshit draft and a bullshit league.

Renewed

Just gonna go to sleep and pretend none of this is real... oh who am I kidding, there's no escape. RIP my confidence in teams

Quick

Banned
How is the tourist traffic and parking like at Niagara Falls during weekdays? Any recommendations on where to park specifically?

zroid

Banned
I'm glad I'm not that invested in TFC because I'm not sure I could handle it.

The Leafs and Jays keep me on edge enough as it is.

Top Bottom