• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sex Ed protest continuing, now with parents holding out their kids. Come on, people.

snippets said:
The hardest hit school was Thorncliffe Park Public School, where only about 130 children showed up for class out of the usual 1,350 — or roughly 10 per cent. At nearby Gateway Public School, some 400 students were away, nearly half the usual enrolment. At Valley Park Middle School, some 590 students were absent out of the total 950.

At Fraser Mustard, an all-kindergarten school in Thorncliffe Park, only 90 of 650 students turned up. The sex-ed curriculum doesn’t actually kick in until Grade 1.

However, schools are not providing parents with lessons to do at home, said Schwartz-Maltz, even though some parents had asked.

The Catholic school system worked closely with the ministry in the development of the new curriculum, but some Christian groups in the Asian community have been circulating flyers in protest.

Parent Shameen Akhdar said she is worried her son in Grade 6 will come home with explicit sexual information from health class and tell his younger siblings before they are ready — although ironically, this sort of age-old schoolyard grapevine is one of the reasons educators say they want to teach children the facts in class — to counteract myths and misinformation.

Sober

"Well I grew up just fine, why do my kids have to learn about dicks and pussies when they aren't old enough to put them in their mouths just yet?"

Willectro

Banned

Absolute insanity. I really thought this would fail on the basis that parents would have to arrange day care. Guess not. I hope the parents are keeping their kids away from TV and the internet too...

Edit: Reading through the rest of the article...I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but is this protest related to the families' nationality (prior to Canada) and/or religion?

Azih

Yeah especially with the internet it's really nuts for parents to protest against this. Some factual information is not a bad thing at all. It's not going to have any impact on promiscuity one way or the other.

yep, allergies kicked in this morning

I'm a mess

I'm actually thankful that I've barely been affected by allergies this year. Must be cause there are literally no trees or anything green at all downtown lol.

On another note, went to a bunch of restaurants this weekend.

Bar Buca: Cocktails were good but pricey. Had:
1. Squid ink calamari ($6): enjoyed it. wasn't super special or fancy, just executed well. Small portion though.
2. Porchetta focaccia sandwich ($12): really good but kinda greasy. Way better than the sandwich at Porchetta & Co., which I think sucks. The only other porchetta sandwich I've had that comes close to this is Meat & Bread in Vancouver.
3. Bread pudding dessert ($8): delicious and I don't even like bread pudding

Would definitely come back.

Fresh off the Boat (Queen St.):
So overpriced. Had the beef/shrimp sandwich ($13?). It was kind of a greasy mess that just tasted like shrimp and beef with Korean hot sauce all over it. Honestly, I'd rather go to banh mi boys or something for like 1/2 the price. Would not go back.

Salad King:
Someone told me this was a really good Thai place, lol. It was okay. I know it's fast food pricing but I didn't think it was anything special.

Oh yeah, also checked out SuitSupply in Yorkville for a new suit for work. Place is pretty awesome. The salespeople are younger, knowledgeable about fashion trends and the styles are a little more fashion forward. Prices aren't too bad (from $400 - $800) and they actually have sizes for skinny people (smallest is 32R). They also offer coffee/espresso to any lady friends who have to wait for you lol.

LevelNth

Banned
Isn't it cute how some parents really believe these sex ed classes will be presenting material to their children that they don't already know/have heard of/is discussed 'on the playground' for lack of a better term.

1993 forever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't forget, guys. It's a slippery slope!

WCxk87K.jpg

Salad King:
Someone told me this was a really good Thai place, lol. It was okay. I know it's fast food pricing but I didn't think it was anything special.

Salad King was good for what it was about 10 years ago, when it was a good cheap eats place. But prices went up, then they moved to the new location and now it's just another 'okay' restaurant with average prices that doesn't stand out for any reason.

I (finally) went to P& L Burger on the weekend. $10 for any of their burgers, $13 for combos. Good portions, good burger, great fries. They definitely don't skimp on the toppings. I had 'The Philly' which was jalapenos, mushrooms, sauteed onions, mayo, cheese and it was basically overflowing with toppings.

Shitty service, but I guess I can't expect someone working the counter at a burger joint to be too happy. Not super busy as you might think for Queen West on a sunny weekend, but not a lot of seating either. I could do without the blaring music as well. Guess I am officially an old man. Would definitely eat at over Burger's Priest. Come at me, Kuro!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Made the mistake of eating KFC yesterday, feel sick today :(

Also their coleslaw is so sweet that it's indistinguishable from a slushie.

Roto13

Made the mistake of eating KFC yesterday, feel sick today :(

Also their coleslaw is so sweet that it's indistinguishable from a slushie.

I haven't gone to KFC in years because it always gives me the squirts, but I miss their poutine. Not exactly legit poutine (chicken gravy) but surprisingly good for fast food.

Sober

Absolute insanity. I really thought this would fail on the basis that parents would have to arrange day care. Guess not. I hope the parents are keeping their kids away from TV and the internet too...

Edit: Reading through the rest of the article...I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but is this protest related to the families' nationality (prior to Canada) and/or religion?
I think the r/toronto posts regarding this subject are a little charged, but you wouldn't be wrong in saying so. Not surprised if parents want to just not expose their children to it or aren't aware of how society works now where shit like this is too easy to run into and they can't hover parent forever.

Truth be told my parents are fairly cosmopolitan, they moved here from Hong Kong but I never got 'the talk' at all.

ahdurian

I never got the talk, and my first experience into anything sexual related was when i slept over at my cousins house and saw one of them watching those softcore movies that play on tv at 2am

and now look at me!

LevelNth

Banned
I think the r/toronto posts regarding this subject are a little charged, but you wouldn't be wrong in saying so. Not surprised if parents want to just not expose their children to it or aren't aware of how society works now where shit like this is too easy to run into and they can't hover parent forever.

Truth be told my parents are fairly cosmopolitan, they moved here from Hong Kong but I never got 'the talk' at all.
I think what's most sad is that we all know the protest isn't about 'let us tell this stuff to our kids, not the schools', because 1) they still can, nothing is stopping them, and unfortunately 2) they just plain won't.

Just good old sticking our heads in the sand and hoping nothing bad happens.

I'm like you, my parents never did and I guarantee I learned about all of it far earlier than they would've imagined. And that was the 80's. Today's age is not only a whole new world, it's a whole damn new universe.

Willectro

Banned

True.

I'm less worried about the biological/anatomical education (although it's important), but what about the mutual consent and respect values that everyone should be aware of, that are non-existent in some cultures?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seems legit.
Legit scary.

GLTfqFU.png

I rented apartments off craigslist in the past, especially back in the early 2000s in the States. The increase in creepy ads like this makes the place pretty terrible though. You even get apartment buildings, not private uppers, or basements, requesting weird things. Like no children, only females, or a specific race, pets of a certain size, 'for a single person only' one bedrooms, illegal security deposits, or move in fees. All sorts of shit. I actually enjoy the process of moving, but I hate trying to find a good place. Nightmare.

Roto13

Toronto Comic Arts Festival this weekend. Think this might be my first year just staying home. It gets more and more crowded and awful every year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually thankful that I've barely been affected by allergies this year. Must be cause there are literally no trees or anything green at all downtown lol.

On another note, went to a bunch of restaurants this weekend.

Bar Buca: Cocktails were good but pricey. Had:
1. Squid ink calamari ($6): enjoyed it. wasn't super special or fancy, just executed well. Small portion though.
2. Porchetta focaccia sandwich ($12): really good but kinda greasy. Way better than the sandwich at Porchetta & Co., which I think sucks. The only other porchetta sandwich I've had that comes close to this is Meat & Bread in Vancouver.
3. Bread pudding dessert ($8): delicious and I don't even like bread pudding

Would definitely come back.

Fresh off the Boat (Queen St.):
So overpriced. Had the beef/shrimp sandwich ($13?). It was kind of a greasy mess that just tasted like shrimp and beef with Korean hot sauce all over it. Honestly, I'd rather go to banh mi boys or something for like 1/2 the price. Would not go back.

Salad King:

Oh yeah, also checked out SuitSupply in Yorkville for a new suit for work. Place is pretty awesome. The salespeople are younger, knowledgeable about fashion trends and the styles are a little more fashion forward. Prices aren't too bad (from $400 - $800) and they actually have sizes for skinny people (smallest is 32R). They also offer coffee/espresso to any lady friends who have to wait for you lol.
Buca is supposed to be the best restaurant in the city. Not necessarily Bar Buca though. Interesting read...will go there some day.

Fresh off the boat is overrated.

Salad King LOOOOL. Who the hell said it was good? Was it EvilMario?! >=[

And are those fitted suits?
Isn't it cute how some parents really believe these sex ed classes will be presenting material to their children that they don't already know/have heard of/is discussed 'on the playground' for lack of a better term.

1993 forever.
Oh won't someone PLEASE think of the...oh, right...
Don't forget, guys. It's a slippery slope!

WCxk87K.jpg

Salad King was good for what it was about 10 years ago, when it was a good cheap eats place. But prices went up, then they moved to the new location and now it's just another 'okay' restaurant with average prices that doesn't stand out for any reason.

I (finally) went to P& L Burger on the weekend. $10 for any of their burgers, $13 for combos. Good portions, good burger, great fries. They definitely don't skimp on the toppings. I had 'The Philly' which was jalapenos, mushrooms, sauteed onions, mayo, cheese and it was basically overflowing with toppings.

Shitty service, but I guess I can't expect someone working the counter at a burger joint to be too happy. Not super busy as you might think for Queen West on a sunny weekend, but not a lot of seating either. I could do without the blaring music as well. Guess I am officially an old man. Would definitely eat at over Burger's Priest. Come at me, Kuro!
You want a piece of me, fatty?! >=[

I still got plenty of burger places to try though.
lol, I actually prefer P&L over Burger's Priest. Even better that they take credit.
Prefer due to price or taste? It was too dry for my taste.

Dyno

The Dirty Bird won Now's recent fried chicken contest so I made the long walk (college and spadina is closed to transit) for a taste. I ordered The ODB (boneless thigh, waffles).

Meh, like eating nuggets with maple syrup...

popeyes is on there?
Really?
They couldn't do something...like White Brick Kitchen or something?

Yeah that list is super lazy. They did no research. They put Popeyes on there and probably don't even know about Ritz Carribean Food, which has a shop on Yonge between Dundas & Queen. It's a short walk from the NOW office building! How could they miss that? They make great chicken; fried, jerk, or bbq. They're all good and their hot sauce at the register is great too.

The Mugshot Tavern at Bloor and Parklawn is also a place to get a great fried chicken dinner. It's three big pieces and the side is a mac n cheese fritter. Ridiculously decadent. All the food at Mugshot is high quality pub fare.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seems legit.
Legit scary.

GLTfqFU.png

I rented apartments off craigslist in the past, especially back in the early 2000s in the States. The increase in creepy ads like this makes the place pretty terrible though. You even get apartment buildings, not private uppers, or basements, requesting weird things. Like no children, only females, or a specific race, pets of a certain size, 'for a single person only' one bedrooms, illegal security deposits, or move in fees. All sorts of shit. I actually enjoy the process of moving, but I hate trying to find a good place. Nightmare.

Damn Kuro, your thirst is unquenchable.

I'm embarrassed for you.

Toronto Comic Arts Festival this weekend. Think this might be my first year just staying home. It gets more and more crowded and awful every year.

They really need to make a decision real soon I feel. It's definitely gotten way too big for the venue.

But on a plus this is the first year I can make it to some of the events beforehand. Planning to go with a few friends to the Drink & Draw on Wednesday. :3

Stet

Banned

It also sucks if you like to go to the reference library and write on your day off.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Kuro, your thirst is unquenchable.

I'm embarrassed for you.

They really need to make a decision real soon I feel. It's definitely gotten way too big for the venue.

But on a plus this is the first year I can make it to some of the events beforehand. Planning to go with a few friends to the Drink & Draw on Wednesday. :3
Lol I didn't even notice that. My age, gender, and background.

I'll have to see if this works...

Ugh, Im taking an AQ and Peel went on strike so I think my class is cancelled.

Also, just saw a bunch of idiots protesting sex ed by pulling their kids out of class.

Undoubtedly a religious/cultural motivation, and it just really ticks me off that they think the best solution is not talking about sex with their kids. I doubt those kids will ever know shit about it, and the kids are even happily holding up protest signs, as if ignorance is a modest virtue.

Khilandros

Wynne's office at Laird and Eglinton is a block away from me and there were hundreds of them marching around this morning. I wish I had my own sign telling them how stupid/ignorant they were, best I could do was laugh as I walked by to the bus stop.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Seems legit.
Legit scary.

GLTfqFU.png

But the BENEFIT! D:

This is legit creepy.

Buca is supposed to be the best restaurant in the city. Not necessarily Bar Buca though. Interesting read...will go there some day.

Yeah heard Buca was one of the top restaurants here but wanted a place with cocktails and a little more casual. Will definitely try Buca for a special occasion or something.

Salad King LOOOOL. Who the hell said it was good? Was it EvilMario?! >=[

lmao

And are those fitted suits?

Yup, pretty fitted/slimmer fitting. I believe all their suits are half/full canvassed and they do not sell fused (glued) suits.

Prefer due to price or taste? It was too dry for my taste.

Been so long since I had it but I remember preferring the taste a bit more. I really need to try both again.

Dyno

And the stupidest thing is these parents can opt out of the parts of the sex ed classes they want their children to be ignorant about. There's literally nothing for them to be complaining about.

You know, I've seen many pictures of parents with their children protesting.

They seem a bit similar, somehow.

Quadratic

Salad King was awesome when it was a hole in the wall joint while I was a student at Ryerson. I'm probably dating myself pretty bad but there was a time when I would grab some food after a MVC2 session at the arcade across from Sam's.

Roto13

You know, I've seen many pictures of parents with their children protesting.

They seem a bit similar, somehow.

Children at protests be like "Please don't teach me things. I don't know what I am protesting but I know I don't want to know it."

ahdurian

since i've been off work basically since the end of March, and won't be working until 2 weeks from now, due to all my surgies, my co-workers went through the effort of getting me a gift card for EB
2d2f4b30-1ab9-46aa-8a07-3f4a8ea1a920_zpsgzkzchyh.jpg

i'm so conflicted
even the people that leave our department don't get this big of a gift

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
since i've been off work basically since the end of March, and won't be working until 2 weeks from now, due to all my surgies, my co-workers went through the effort of getting me a gift card for EB
2d2f4b30-1ab9-46aa-8a07-3f4a8ea1a920_zpsgzkzchyh.jpg

i'm so conflicted
even the people that leave our department don't get this big of a gift
Yeah I don't think the people leaving your department for surgery though...

Just enjoy it even if there isn't much out right now.

zroid

Banned
How are the Uncle Tetsu lines nowadays on, say, Wednesday around 3 pm?

I had some stuff to do downtown so I thought about dropping by.

Top Bottom