• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Stet

Banned

My mom is part of a different group of people in the same section of the city who tried to stop the development of a 16-car underground garage and 8 3-story luxury townhouses on a property that used to be a church.

But in their case it was because the developer would have to take out two 100-year old trees on the property.

Just before the meeting scheduled with the city about 4 months later, both trees died.

krae_man

Air Canada's new carry on policing policy should be interesting. I can't wait to see the cranky passengers trying to sneak too much in. I hate gate checking so I'm okay with this.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My mom is part of a different group of people in the same section of the city who tried to stop the development of a 16-car underground garage and 8 3-story luxury townhouses on a property that used to be a church.

But in their case it was because the developer would have to take out two 100-year old trees on the property.

Just before the meeting scheduled with the city about 4 months later, both trees died.

Yeah, there are legitimate reasons why people might object to certain projects, but the people in the article seem to be rejecting everything out right.. despite the generic disingenuous blurb they give about not being against all development.

What's the thought on the trees dying? The developer killing them off to push the project forward?

The real problem with all the development, although more a high rise issue, is the lack of retail. The city / neighbourhood planning is pretty terrible in that respect, but I'm not sure that's what those people in the article are after.

Air Canada's new carry on policing policy should be interesting. I can't wait to see the cranky passengers trying to sneak too much in. I hate gate checking so I'm okay with this.jpg

There was a lot of noise about it as far back as the middle of last year. People blinded by Air Canada actually measuring and weighing their carry on. When we flew out they have a scale outside the plane where they eyed baggage and anything suspect was measured and weighed. Chris had her piece inspected, but was approved. It's funny because her hard case was not nearly as big as my duffle bag, which would have been a tight squeeze. As someone who tries to only fly with carry on, I don't mind because I don't over pack. And then people who try to bring on huge pieces of luggage won't be taking up entire storage bins overhead. Fuck those people. The only ones I feel sorry for in it are the people with carry on that's only over sized because of a handheld, or strap that won't be able to squeeze into one of the measuring bins. Luggage industry must very happy.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Since when do plain clothed cops ride buses in order to look down on drivers to see if they're using handheld devices? I was talking with my cousin yesterday and he told me he's seen them a couple of times while he was taking the bus in Scarborough in order to radio ahead to a squad car to pull someone over. Sneaky buggers.

Willectro

Banned

I can appreciate their perspective as their house is likely their nest egg. The city is seemingly letting anyone build any ugly condo anywhere they please, which just isn't sustainable.

With regard to my neighbourhood, there was a low rise apartment building near (backing onto) fairly nice houses, which I'm told by my neighbours was slowly transitioned to social housing years ago. Now drunks scream and yell all hours of the day, and last month the ETF had to pay a visit to the building. No one wants to raise kids near that, nor should the community have to have the police on speed dial. I see it both ways, but from the existing residents perspective, there is certainly a chance things could end poorly.

You can bet most of the Councilors wouldn't go along with a condo / apartment going in beside their house either. I'm not a big fan of the NIMBY haters as I feel like residents of an area pay property tax and should therefore have a reasonable say about the future of their community.

All that being said, change is inevitable in a large city. Personally, I know I don't want to deal with those headaches and aim to buy a large piece of property in the country somewhere and put a house in the center.

explodet

Don't worry guys, I know exactly when the housing market will tank.
It'll be exactly 5 minutes after I purchase a house or condo.

The ink won't even be dry, and then I'll read a news tweet reading "EVERY PROPERTY IN TORONTO LOSES FIFTY PERCENT OF ITS VALUE"

Azih

The ink won't even be dry, and then I'll read a news tweet reading "EVERY PROPERTY IN TORONTO LOSES FIFTY PERCENT OF ITS VALUE"

You have two chances to back out you know :p

explodet

You have two chances to back out you know :p
That's the thing, I *don't* know. Right now I'm a moron when it comes to this subject.
Plus the irrational part of my brain is telling me as soon as I step into a condo all the balcony glass is going to fall out.

I'm sure when I actually start I'll get it all figured out, just right now I admit I don't know squat.

I just noticed that Marina and the Diamonds will be at this Field Trip Festival thing in a couple weeks, so I'm quite interested in going. Anyone ever go to one of these? Is it worth $90?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

If this happens I would probably be able to afford a house. Provided that I have a job by then.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
PAoK2zzt_400x400.png

I was wondering when something like this would happen in this area. I hope the developments go through anyway. So yeah, fuck those people.
I hope you'll be jumping for joy when they do the very same thing to your neighborhood. Why do you feel the need to fuck these people? They just want to have a say in their neighborhood. Where should middle-class families who want to raise their kids in a neighborhood with good schools and access to downtown, move to?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I hope you'll be jumping for joy when they do the very same thing to your neighborhood. Why do you feel the need to fuck these people? They just want to have a say in their neighborhood. Where should middle-class families who want to raise their kids in a neighborhood with good schools and access to downtown, move to?

???

They're building higher density middle class housing specifically so more people can move there and have access to those things. This is just people with 1-2 million dollar homes complaining about people with 500k homes moving in.

I can appreciate their perspective as their house is likely their nest egg. The city is seemingly letting anyone build any ugly condo anywhere they please, which just isn't sustainable.

With regard to my neighbourhood, there was a low rise apartment building near (backing onto) fairly nice houses, which I'm told by my neighbours was slowly transitioned to social housing years ago. Now drunks scream and yell all hours of the day, and last month the ETF had to pay a visit to the building. No one wants to raise kids near that, nor should the community have to have the police on speed dial. I see it both ways, but from the existing residents perspective, there is certainly a chance things could end poorly.

You can bet most of the Councilors wouldn't go along with a condo / apartment going in beside their house either. I'm not a big fan of the NIMBY haters as I feel like residents of an area pay property tax and should therefore have a reasonable say about the future of their community.

All that being said, change is inevitable in a large city. Personally, I know I don't want to deal with those headaches and aim to buy a large piece of property in the country somewhere and put a house in the center.
You'll probably have to move to fucking Oshawa or Brooklyn to do that, maybe Bowmanville, or Pickering.

Even New Market is getting crowded now.

???

They're building higher density middle class housing specifically so more people can move there and have access to those things. This is just people with 1-2 million dollar homes complaining about people with 500k homes moving in.

There are plenty of $500-700k semis all over North Toronto/Davisville Village/Leaside and a few bungalows here and there.

Raising a family in a house is a little different than doing that in a condo building.

They're not really middle-class housing, usually it's one bedroom and a sunroom and a couple of bathrooms selling for at least half a mill new, great for single people and young couples with no kids and a dog/cat.

Once you've got kids, you would want a bit of yard and not have to share elevators every morning, not to mention the air in a condo building isn't always that great with people smoking in the hallway. When you've got a kid you would like a little bit more, like a semi in the neighborhood or if you can afford it, one of those three bedroom detachs.

The problem with North Toronto is that the smaller detachs are being bought by real estate agents and middle east money and turned into mini mansions (buy-demolish-build-sell) selling for $1.5-1.7 mil and at the other end of the spectrum the houses along Bayview are being replaced with condo complexes.

It's inevitable but it's understandable why people living there don't like it. I know we live in a liberal city that hates rich people but there are plenty of middle-class people just trying to find that good life caught in the middle.

Divvy

Raising a family in a house is a little different than doing that in a condo building.

They're not really middle-class housing, usually it's one bedroom and a sunroom and a couple of bathrooms selling for at least half a mill new, great for single people and young couples with no kids and a dog/cat.

Once you've got kids, you would want a bit of yard and not have to share elevators every morning, not to mention the air in a condo building isn't always that great with people smoking in the hallway. When you've got a kid you would like a little bit more, like a semi in the neighborhood or if you can afford it, one of those three bedroom detachs.

The problem with North Toronto is that the smaller detachs are being bought by real estate agents and middle east money and turned into mini mansions (buy-demolish-build-sell) selling for $1.5-1.7 mil and at the other end of the spectrum the houses along Bayview are being replaced with condo complexes.

It's inevitable but it's understandable why people living there don't like it.

What? This is a luxury condo townhouse, where only the a few of the smallest units are 500k, the rest are over 700k. Most of the units are two to thee bedrooms with the largest unit at 2328 sqft. There are no hallways or elevators as everything is direct access from the main doors to the sidewalk. Sure there are no yards, but there is more than enough space to raise a family.

xkpIeAP.jpg

What? This is luxury condo townhouse, where only the a few of the smallest units are 500k, the rest are over 700k. Most of the units are two to thee bedrooms with the largest unit at 2328 sqft. There are no hallways or elevators as everything is direct access from the main doors to the sidewalk. Sure there are no yards, but there is more than enough space to raise a family.

xkpIeAP.jpg

The larger three bedroom units are probably too expensive for your average families. A $2328 sqft town house will probably run you close to a mil, the ones along Bayview starts at 900k.

Saw one of those along Soudan close to Yonge, mostly empty nesters walking dogs and lots of dog poop on the side walk.

Divvy

The larger three bedroom units are probably too expensive for your average families. A $2328 sqft town house will probably run you close to a mil, the ones along Bayview starts at 900k.

Saw one of those along Soudan close to Yonge, mostly empty nesters walking dogs and lots of dog poop on the side walk.

Right, the upper ones are crazy priced, but the ones in the middle are reasonably priced, and fine for many families. I'm not sure why you're trying to frame this as if these whiny homeowners are part of the downtrodden middle class when they live in one of the richest neighbourhoods in the city. Their 2 mllion average homes are well out of the reach of your average family anyways, so it's good that more reasonably priced homes are available.

Azih

I know we live in a liberal city that hates rich people but there are plenty of middle-class people just trying to find that good life caught in the middle.

The good life in a good area of the city will be found in midrises of exactly the sort that these neighbourhood associations are trying to block. Only when the supply of housing goes up will prices for the middle-class trying to find the good life come down.

The good life in a good area of the city will be found in midrises of exactly the sort that these neighbourhood associations are trying to block. Only when the supply of housing goes up will prices for the middle-class trying to find the good life come down.
Do you live in a house?

Willectro

Banned
You'll probably have to move to fucking Oshawa or Brooklyn to do that, maybe Bowmanville, or Pickering.

Even New Market is getting crowded now.

Oh for sure, even beyond that. North of Oshawa / Bowmanville likely.

Last night, after several days of packet loss and finally an outage all evening that magically repaired itself around midnight, I switched from Teksavvy (cable 45/4) to Rogers 100u. I kinda feel dirty, and almost bad about switching from Teksavvy, but resolving the connectivity issues I was having just seemed to be out of their scope unfortunately. Nothing against Teksavvy, but it seemed to me that having a positive experience with them had a lot to do with luck. When I looked at their better packages (DSL 50/10, Cable 100/10), I would have been required to purchase either a $120 or $200 modem with no real warranty, to save $10 per month. Teksavvy couldn't even schedule a Rogers tech to come for a couple days for a repair, and Rogers is able to send out a tech same/next day. Either way, I'm not locked into a contract so if Rogers doesn't work, I'll have to look into Bell.

Azih

Do you live in a house?

Yeah but a 50 minute train commute from the city.

Either we have a lot more mid rises or a lot more social housing to try to put a damper on the overheated real estate market within the city. Both of these things are exactly what are protested and tried to stop though.

Edit: Considering how prices are shooting up we need a hell of a lot more mid rises in Mississauga and, hell, Milton as well. Mid rise corridors also make it more feasible to put better transit in.

Mid rises are how Western Europe has achieved density along with a high quality of life. They don't have a whole lot of Yonge Street style high rises.

Quick

Banned
I was just at a Tim Horton's in Scarborough, and was offered to have my total rounded up to the nearest cent. I told them I was paying debit, and they said they could still do that.

I told them it was okay and to keep my total exact, but is this actually legal? I guess they would've just price modified one of my orders to add two cents.

krae_man

I was just at a Tim Horton's in Scarborough, and was offered to have my total rounded up to the nearest cent. I told them I was paying debit, and they said they could still do that.

I told them it was okay and to keep my total exact, but is this actually legal? I guess they would've just price modified one of my orders to add two cents.

They asked if you would like to round up your purchase and donate the rounded up amount to their camp charaty.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys, so I haven't had a response to the meetup survey in a few days, so these are the results.

Friday June 12th is the most popular day, with the 19th and 20th close behind. Does the 12th absolutely NOT work for anyone who would be able to attend the next weekend instead?

Victory Cafe is by far the preferred location, 14 to 2 vs Wheat Sheaf, with 2 write ins (one being "In Fuzzy's manly construction worker arms"), so I'll make the reservation at Victory Cafe this week.

We have enough interested people to have a nice Smash tournament too.I've made a sign up page and included those from the responses I got. Check and make sure you're there. If not, sign up. It seems like people would be interested in a Mario Kart tournament at some point too, so maybe for the next meetup. I'd like to rent out a room with an accessible television (s) for Mario Kart 8 at some point.

edit: Oh right. The important results.

0rJv0vh.png

Entropia

No One Remembers
Total annihilation!

I maybe able to do the 12th regardless. The 19th/20th worked because I was going to be in town anyways.

I still need a job. :(

Quick

Banned
#TeamRekt

It's a little toasty today. I wouldn't mind a cool breeze.

Still beats icy roads, snow, and general coldness, though.

krae_man

The 19th would probably work better for me I think but I can make all 3 days(12,19,20).

If we do 19-20 you'll get me sleep deprived and hung over.

Roto13

So apparently they filmed a chase scene involving the Batmobile.

Which means the Batmobile is in Toronto.

Which means if we're going to get together and steal it, we should do it now.

Top Bottom