• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
YQDlxr8.jpg

Doesn't everyone?

Willectro

Banned
Got Rogers 100u internet installed yesterday. I've been getting anywhere from 140 Mbps to 170 Mbps down, which is pretty nice. Wonder how consistent that will be as I'm only paying for 100 down?

So did ANYONE manage to get tickets for the E3 Conference thing?

I managed to get on the waitlist around 12:30, and I managed to actually register for tickets at like 1:50PM. I only got an email for the wait list though.

ahdurian

im still trying
i got waitlist confirmation on site, but no e-mail
and i know about 10mins ago i got to the register site on mobile, so its holding the tickets for another 20, so im CTRL+R over and over on my computer now

EDIT: Legit just got a registration number
COME ON EMAIL

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I was outside most of the day and the wind was blowing the freshly laid top soil all over the place. When I came inside the hospital and washed my hands in the washroom I had a white outline where my safety glasses were. :lol

DBH1CwZ.png

haha

That entire lawrence area has always been one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in the city.
It isn't post road, it's Yonge/mount pleasant/Eglinton, there are plenty of small detacheds and semis, a lot of young families with little kids, these aren't people wearing monocles walking their poodles, they aren't poor for sure but they're not filthy rich either, there are retirees and young dual income families. It's a different feel living in houses that all look a little different than a gigantic complex trying to duplicate that subdivision feel.

It's not crazy Markham people trying to send their kids to PET, but the schools are decent and people speak English. I don't get the hate.

There already is a low rise one block North on Sherwood and another one on Yonge, maybe people just don't want that kind of monstrosity getting put up, there's not exactly a lack of low rises in that particular pocket if it's on Keewatin.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
do we have access to any tvs at this victory cafe

wouldnt mind bringing my wiiu

There is an accessible television downstairs (although upstairs has been requested, I can't remember what if anything we can use up there), but I'm not sure how well it'll work. It's mounted on the wall and the cables would have to stretch, with a table placed underneath. Smash tournament will be 3DS only, to keep with a consistent stage select and the fact that we need to run a bunch of games at once to actually get a 16-or so person roster in. I guess we could switch the final 4 to the Wii U if there were one, so everyone could watch. If we could get a place with multiple televisions and stuff one of these days I'd love to do a full on Smash / Mario Kart / Splatoon whatever tournament.

Yeah but a 50 minute train commute from the city.

Either we have a lot more mid rises or a lot more social housing to try to put a damper on the overheated real estate market within the city. Both of these things are exactly what are protested and tried to stop though.

Edit: Considering how prices are shooting up we need a hell of a lot more mid rises in Mississauga and, hell, Milton as well. Mid rise corridors also make it more feasible to put better transit in.

Mid rises are how Western Europe has achieved density along with a high quality of life. They don't have a whole lot of Yonge Street style high rises.

Mid rises lead to high rises, it's inevitable. I think people need to walk along that section of Yonge (start from Davisville) to see all the mid rises already in the area, you have buildings but things are still nice, you start encroaching into pockets of houses then you're looking at Yonge/Sheppard/Finch, there's no more character in the neighborhood, it's all cookie cutter townhouses and condos over there. It's a great neighborhood right now in North Toronto, that's what people are fighting for.

If they want to do this they should build along Gerrard and try to gentrify that nasty neighborhood. Developers aren't doing this to help with supply, they know these townhouses will sell for at least 700k to over a mil, there are already several developments along Bayview, it's all the same shit.

The commuter train system needs to improve, more frequent, better/faster trains, a lot of people are moving out of the city.

Azih

There's a lot of character from Yonge/Sheppard to Yonge/Finch with all the Korean and Persian stores. Mel Lastman square is always pretty busy on the weekend when the weather is nice.

Stet

Banned
It isn't post road, it's Yonge/mount pleasant/Eglinton, there are plenty of small detacheds and semis, a lot of young families with little kids, these aren't people wearing monocles walking their poodles, they aren't poor for sure but they're not filthy rich either, there are retirees and young dual income families. It's a different feel living in houses that all look a little different than a gigantic complex trying to duplicate that subdivision feel.

It's not crazy Markham people trying to send their kids to PET, but the schools are decent and people speak English. I don't get the hate.

There already is a low rise one block North on Sherwood and another one on Yonge, maybe people just don't want that kind of monstrosity getting put up, there's not exactly a lack of low rises in that particular pocket if it's on Keewatin.

They specifically said they don't want their property values lowered by townhouses that would "only" cost $500,000.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

They explicitly said their complaint was that the development would lower their property values. I would be far more open to your interpretation of innocent home owners afraid that their neighbourhood would change character if they hadn't literally said they're most concerned about their 2 million dollar homes losing value after 500k homeowners move in.

Mid rises lead to high rises, it's inevitable. I think people need to walk along that section of Yonge (start from Davisville) to see all the mid rises already in the area, you have buildings but things are still nice, you start encroaching into pockets of houses then you're looking at Yonge/Sheppard/Finch, there's no more character in the neighborhood, it's all cookie cutter townhouses and condos over there. It's a great neighborhood right now in North Toronto, that's what people are fighting for.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Yonge/shepp/finch has tons of character. It's one of the best areas in the city to live right now.

Willectro

Banned
They explicitly said their complaint was that the development would lower their property values. I would be far more open to your interpretation of innocent home owners afraid that their neighbourhood would change character if they hadn't literally said they're most concerned about their 2 million dollar homes losing value after 500k homeowners move in.

I still think their concerns are valid. No one buying a $2 million house wants fancy townhouses in the area. I just can't understand how the rights of a prospective developer who only cares about maximizing profits takes precedent over existing residents.

explodet

I feel a little uneasy if I eat at a Korean restaurant that isn't a *little* run down.
It doesn't need to be dilapidated, it just needs the atmosphere of it being there a while.

Azih

I still think their concerns are valid. No one buying a $2 million house wants fancy townhouses in the area. I just can't understand how the rights of a prospective developer who only cares about maximizing profits takes precedent over existing residents.

Well there's the developer who owns the property, the existing residents of the area, the city, and the prospective future residents looking for cheaper housing as well in the mix. It's not just two groups.

Willectro

Banned
Well there's the developer who owns the property, the existing residents of the area, the city, and the prospective future residents looking for cheaper housing as well in the mix. It's not just two groups.

Lol, I don't care much about the capitalist developer, the city who can never make the correct decision, or the prospective future residents, who really don't even exist at this point, looking for cheaper (lol $500K) housing in a well established, expensive area.

People seem to think these evil, rich homeowners are trying to crush a charity or something, when really in fact, each party is trying to do what benefits them, and only them, best. Yet when the existing homeowners do so, it's NIMBY. Ironically, what is appealing about these townhouse condo things is that they aren't surrounded by other condos.

Azih

Lol, I don't care much about the capitalist developer, the city who can never make the correct decision, or the prospective future residents, who really don't even exist at this point, looking for cheaper (lol $500K) housing in a well established, expensive area.

People seem to think these evil, rich homeowners are trying to crush a charity or something, when really in fact, each party is trying to do what benefits them, and only them, best. Yet when the existing homeowners do so, it's NIMBY. Ironically, what is appealing about these townhouse condo things is that they aren't surrounded by other condos.

But the idea that property values will decrease because of fancy midrises being built is groundless.

Divvy

And I shed few tears for homeowners trying to protect their home value that's only that high due to a bubble caused by not having enough housing in the first place. Sure they are only acting in their own interests, but so are a lot of people doing dickish things.

Plus I am a big fan of these midrises that are popping up. A good solution to density issues without having to build giant towers everywhere.

Now if only they would fix the transportation

Stet

Banned

Existing residents own their lot. They don't own their street.

Willectro

Banned
But the idea that property values will decrease because of fancy midrises being built is groundless.

You think anyone buying a house for $2 mil is like, "Oh look honey, townhouse condos! I love the population density around here."?

And I shed few tears for homeowners trying to protect their home value that's only that high due to a bubble caused by not having enough housing in the first place. Sure they are only acting in their own interests, but so are a lot of people doing dickish things.

Plus I am a big fan of these midrises that are popping up. A good solution to density issues without having to build giant towers everywhere.

Now if only they would fix the transportation

Yea, I was really worried about where someone who can afford a $500k townhouse condo was going to live.

Wait: ‘Density creep’ crusaders hit back at developers for bending rules

Marcia Visser, the Density Creep Neighborhood Alliance (DCNA) group spokesperson, apologized for the original comments and stressed their campaign is against the developers, not the potential new neighbours on Keewatin Ave. in midtown Toronto.

Is that this street? https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Keewatin+Ave,+Toronto,+ON/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x882b332646723f0b:0xe5493abc759c7c65?sa=X&ei=h21nVe7zBY2SyASK2YGQAw&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA

Divvy

Well you don't have to care, but 500k is a good price for starting families in Toronto

Yes, that's the street

I don't really get their complaints when there are literally several 15+ floor high rises next door to the planned site.

Also, zoning bylaws are meant to be changed. That's how they work. They are not a set of rules carved in stone, forever dictating the rules of the street.

Willectro

Banned
Well you don't have to care, but 500k is a good price for starting families in Toronto

Yes, that's the street

I don't really get their complaints when there are literally several 15+ floor high rises next door to the planned site.

Also, zoning bylaws are meant to be changed. That's how they work. They are not a set of rules carved in stone, forever dictating the rules of the street.

Yep, I gotta say, I thought there were a couple highrises in the distance, but got damn there's like 5 on the street already. Not quite the prestigious enclave I had envisioned. So basically both sides are being shady.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Frand worked on this documentary thats comin
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/05/28/captain-johns-pulls-away-from-toronto-berth.html

Goodbye to them stomach aches.
Thank god that thing is finally gone. I remember going to a wedding reception there when I was a kid and it was so horrible that my dad took my cousins and brothers and I (7 of us total) to McDonald's because the food was so bad. My mom's cousin (it was her wedding) still apologizes about picking that piece of shit for her wedding reception almost 30 years later.

Roto13

My property manage tells me that my downstairs neighbour is complaining that my air conditioner is dripping water and making noise.

Obviously, I am completely broken up about this and will turn off my air conditioner immediately and never use it again.

lol jk fuck that guy

They specifically said they don't want their property values lowered by townhouses that would "only" cost $500,000.

Personally I don't think it will affect the property values but I can understand why they would have that concern.

If you own a house, would you like the property value to go down?

Top Bottom