• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Personally I don't think it will affect the property values but I can understand why they would have that concern.

If you own a house, would you like the property value to go down?
Yes in order to keep property taxes lower, until it's time to sell. ;)

Well you don't have to care, but 500k is a good price for starting families in Toronto

Yes, that's the street

I don't really get their complaints when there are literally several 15+ floor high rises next door to the planned site.

Also, zoning bylaws are meant to be changed. That's how they work. They are not a set of rules carved in stone, forever dictating the rules of the street.

$500k is definitely NOT a good price for starting families in Toronto. That said, condos around the area with at least 2 bedrooms (some with 1+1 sunroom) go for around $400k with basically few amenities. A $350k mortgage (with $150k down and probably another $10k for other fees) will run you $1500 a month and that ain't chump change, that's not including property tax, gas, hydro and utilities.

The point is not to have a condo building on every block and at every corner when there's already a mid/low rise every other block, that's not good city planning.

This isn't about packing people into a city block, that has already happened, it's about affluent townhouse(I can't even mow my own fucking lawn)/condo residents + condo developers vs affluent house owners.

There's a lot of character from Yonge/Sheppard to Yonge/Finch with all the Korean and Persian stores. Mel Lastman square is always pretty busy on the weekend when the weather is nice.
Do you live in the stores?

Unless you rent upstairs if the building is dual purpose, the answer is no. If every block has a condo/townhouse complex, you're not going to have too many shops because those two story buildings where the shops are located wouldn't exist.

explodet

Adds...flavour and character?
Pretty much. I've been to a super new Korean restaurant (forget what it's called) and it seemed unnatural. Any other type of restaurant, fine.

Frand worked on this documentary thats comin
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/05/28/captain-johns-pulls-away-from-toronto-berth.html

Goodbye to them stomach aches.
That does remind me, I do need to find a good seafood restaurant. Glad I dodged this particular 40 year old bullet.

My property manage tells me that my downstairs neighbour is complaining that my air conditioner is dripping water and making noise.

Obviously, I am completely broken up about this and will turn off my air conditioner immediately and never use it again.

lol jk fuck that guy

It must be Kuro

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My property manage tells me that my downstairs neighbour is complaining that my air conditioner is dripping water and making noise.

Obviously, I am completely broken up about this and will turn off my air conditioner immediately and never use it again.

lol jk fuck that guy
D:
It must be Kuro
D;
Hey, screw you too!
I hope you pass out from heat exhaustion from that suit and tie! >=[

John Blade

I guess no one here know about this but they was a PostSecret Live! show in Toronto at Hart House Theatre in Toronto today. I manage to go for the event and it was very interesting and touching I have to say.

I guess most people should have an idea of what is Post Secret but if you don't, it's a website where people send they secret by post card (or email, paper, bags of coffee, etc) to this person in the States where he share it on the site every Sunday. I am a fan of it and do go to the site on and off over the years.

The show was great and did few pictures but not many as they don't let people take pictures or video for it. Did bought a new book for and got a signature for it and a pic of the person. Will need to post it up once I bring my camera back in.

Stet

Banned
thank god we waited until the lighting was installed before judging the union station artwork

it's really uplifting now

diIKfdP.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I saw the Union art today. Holy shit it's like a holocaust museum down there

$500k is definitely NOT a good price for starting families in Toronto. That said, condos around the area with at least 2 bedrooms (some with 1+1 sunroom) go for around $400k with basically few amenities. A $350k mortgage (with $150k down and probably another $10k for other fees) will run you $1500 a month and that ain't chump change, that's not including property tax, gas, hydro and utilities.

500k for a new TOWNHOUSE condo absolutely is a good price, not a unit in a tower. Believe me I know, I just bought one at that price after looking around for a very long time.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Azih

Do you live in the stores?.
What does that have to do with anything? The area has tons of character and also a lot of the large condos in the area we are talking about have retail on their ground floors. So yeah quite a few of the people in the high rises do 'live in stores' as you seem to define it.

I saw the Union art today. Holy shit it's like a holocaust museum down there

500k for a new TOWNHOUSE condo absolutely is a good price, not a unit in a tower. Believe me I know, I just bought one at that price after looking around for a very long time.

Where did you buy?

Unless you have a big downpayment, $500k basically means a pretty big mortgage, young families don't always have that kind of money. A significant number of these townhouses aren't sold to young couples, they're sold to investors with foreign money hoping to flip a $500k townhouse (I don't think there are many $500k units) for $700k and a $700k one for $900k.

You know why you had to look so long for a place? It's not supply, it's the increased demand from speculators, foreign investors and real estate agents starting ridiculous bidding wars.

What does that have to do with anything? The area has tons of character and also a lot of the large condos in the area we are talking about have retail on their ground floors. So yeah quite a few of the people in the high rises do 'live in stores' as you seem to define it.
Not many condos in the area actually have stores on the ground floor and those that do you either have a shoppers or a nail salon, a lot of the shops are in old two story buildings along Yonge, if you're building the kind of condos you have in the area those stores that give you that "character" would disappear.

Divvy

Where did you buy?

Unless you have a big downpayment, $500k basically means a pretty big mortgage, young families don't always have that kind of money. A significant number of these townhouses aren't sold to young couples, they're sold to investors with foreign money hoping to flip a $500k townhouse (I don't think there are many $500k units) for $700k and a $700k one for $900k.

I bought in North York. There are lot of new condo townhomes in that range, being developed all over the city. 500k is a lot for sure, but compared to what you'd be paying for a house or a condo apartment in Toronto, it's got great relative value. A lot of these are indeed sold to young couples.

This is a place my friends (age 26ish) bought recently:

http://hendonpark.com/location/

It was explicity marketed to younger couples. It gives you something closer to a house without having to deal with all the maintenance that would entail. It's exactly what younger families want. Sure there are certainly flippers, but that's unavoidable in this market.

Not many condos in the area actually have stores on the ground floor and those that do you either have a shoppers or a nail salon, a lot of the shops are in old two story buildings along Yonge, if you're building the kind of condos you have in the area those stores that give you that "character" would disappear.

I dunno, that whole Northtown complex is great. So many nice shops at the base of the condos. Some of my favourite restaurants in the area are there. Actually a lot of the condos here have shops. The biggest one, Hullmark is going to have a Guu in it so I'm pretty happy with that development :p

Hieberrr

thank god we waited until the lighting was installed before judging the union station artwork

it's really uplifting now

diIKfdP.jpg

I have no idea why this was commissioned by this artist. I'm not knocking the artist's style or work, but I don't think something like this belongs in a subway station. It's borderline creepy and sad to look it.

Divvy

I mean, the TTC can't even get transit right.

I am not surprised that they went to look for some nice art for a public space and came back with a genocide memorial

jl4855

Where did you buy?

You know why you had to look so long for a place? It's not supply, it's the increased demand from speculators, foreign investors and real estate agents starting ridiculous bidding wars.

$500K is a lot but not outrageously unreasonable for a young dink couple. will help ease into the eventual jump to detached as well.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, the TTC can't even get transit right.

I am not surprised that they went to look for some nice art for a public space and came back with a genocide memorial
Even by Byford's own metrics, they've fallen well short of their own target goals for weeks now.

We should celebrate MLSE teams on there instead. They'd be a good representation of disappointment.

Azih

Not many condos in the area actually have stores on the ground floor
Quite a lot do. Check out Northtown way for example like Divvy said. There's a lot of ways to be smart about designing high rises so they aren't just people living blocks.

And I've never said anything about not needing a mix of building types. Yonge/Sheppard to Yonge/Finch is great because it has a very diverse mix of office buildings, small plazas, two storey commercial, small ethnic groceries, restaurants, bars, and quite a lot of high rises with ground floor stores.

Your assertion that the Yonge/Sheppard to Yonge/Finch strip lacks character was just plain wrong.

Quadratic

It was always more of a tourist attraction.

I remember walking by it but had no interest in it.

I told my co-worker there are better options in the area instead of Captain John's. Such as a hot dog cart on Front Street. I have personally never heard anyone having a good experience there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Purolator screwing up once more. They claim no name on the buzzer, but Brual is literally the third name down on a list of about 20 names. I'm betting they didn't even bother to enter the building. Live Chat reps always sort it out and second delivery comes through, but why even bother with the original delivery if you're just going to make people call in?

And let's never forget those 8 memorable posts from Purolator Helps on here..

Top Bottom