• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Azih

You think after just filing last month I wouldn't forget. Makes it 44 trips if you just take 13% off the total price.

Still barely worth it for a daily commute just for the convenience factor but it's really getting close. Plus you don't get that 13% until May of next year.

Garryk

Toronto-GAF,

Request from the States: I had a friend from my last job send me an e-mail last week letting me know that his position is being eliminated at the end of July. He's worked in consumer electronics and CPG doing statistical modeling/business analytics. If anyone knows of any job opportunities in the metro area, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Willectro

Banned
Still barely worth it for a daily commute just for the convenience factor but it's really getting close. Plus you don't get that 13% until May of next year.

Agreed. The TTC need to be about 1000 times more flexible when it comes to the metropass. At a minimum they need to consider a commuter metropass (mon-fri), but also having temporary passes (3 days, for example) like Montreal is long overdue.

zroid

Banned
Agreed. The TTC need to be about 1000 times more flexible when it comes to the metropass. At a minimum they need to consider a commuter metropass (mon-fri), but also having temporary passes (3 days, for example) like Montreal is long overdue.

but that would give us options and help us save money

impossible

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They don't want you using the metropass. It costs them money. That's why they've been making it worse and worse

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
UberX protest today. Long line of honking cabbies winding through downtown

rhim41W.jpg
FBsIR4E.jpg

eXtJO96.jpg

What a swell bunch of guys. I take a cab like, twice per decade, but next time I need to, I guess I'll try UberX.

I've actually completely stopped taking cabs since I got the Uber app. Took about 6-8 rides so far and they've all been good experiences.

dubq

I've actually completely stopped taking cabs since I got the Uber app. Took about 6-8 rides so far and they've all been good experiences.

True say. I've met zero inappropriate drivers using UberX, whereas I have met several (too many to count) cab drivers who were dicks over the last few years.

True say. I've met zero inappropriate drivers using UberX, whereas I have met several (too many to count) cab drivers who were dicks over the last few years.

Yeah, I've gotten asshole cab drivers who look like they're pissed off when I ask for change back on a $20 bill for a $17 ride. I've gotten some who tried to rip me off and tell me it's $25 from Guvernment to Bay/College. I'll avoid cabs for the rest of my life if I can.

The only thing Uber needs is a talkative/non-talkative driver button.

Stet

Banned
I'm worried about cabbies more than I'm worried about cab companies. UberX tends to favour people who can afford to drive in their spare time, but a lot of cab drivers are immigrants trying to make ends meet while they save to bring their family over.

UberX has always felt kind of gross from a perspective of edging out foreign workers.

Willectro

Banned
So apparently the water in the Eaton Centre fountain was dyed orange to promote Splatoon.

That's amazing, as is the game. Finally something I want to play on the Wii U!

I have never had an uber driver not know where the destination is. Cab drivers, on average, are lost outside the downtown and even then often select the most expensive route.

Roto13

So apparently the water in the Eaton Centre fountain was dyed orange to promote Splatoon.

I meant to link to this video of it the other day but I never got around to it.

What a swell bunch of guys. I take a cab like, twice per decade, but next time I need to, I guess I'll try UberX.

I'm sure we've all had shitty experiences with Toronto cab drivers (and cab drivers everywhere, for that matter) but Uber is really shady and unregulated. Refusing service to people for reasons that would be illegal for real cabs, like disabilities. Insisting that their drivers don't need any kind of certification or training or to follow specific rules because they're not technically cabs.

You'll just have to stick to the TTC, who isn't run by evil assholes at all.

Stet

Banned
I meant to link to this video of it the other day but I never got around to it.

I'm sure we've all had shitty experiences with Toronto cab drivers (and cab drivers everywhere, for that matter) but Uber is really shady and unregulated. Refusing service to people for reasons that would be illegal for real cabs, like disabilities. Insisting that their drivers don't need any kind of certification or training or to follow specific rules because they're not technically cabs.

You'll just have to stick to the TTC, who isn't run by evil assholes at all.

Right -- and this is kind of what the debate is about. The whole #Uber4TO hashtag campaign is awfully disingenuous, because banning Uber isn't about banning it because it's new, it's about banning it because they refuse to abide by the same laws as cab drivers.

If UberX drivers had to be licensed with the city, the cab drivers wouldn't be protesting.

Azih

Right -- and this is kind of what the debate is about. The whole #Uber4TO hashtag campaign is awfully disingenuous, because banning Uber isn't about banning it because it's new, it's about banning it because they refuse to abide by the same laws as cab drivers.

If UberX drivers had to be licensed with the city, the cab drivers wouldn't be protesting.

Or alternatively if regulations were eased on cabbies. But that makes people uncomfortable too which shows that the regulations on taxis are there for a a reason.

LevelNth

Banned
I have three requisites for a cab driver:

1. Has a license to drive that is applicable to the city I am in.
2. Will not pick me up just to kill me and dump my body in Stouffvile
3. STOP TAKING EVERY BAD ROUTE/LEFT TURN YOU CAN FIND JACKASS!

dubq

Yeah, I've gotten asshole cab drivers who look like they're pissed off when I ask for change back on a $20 bill for a $17 ride. I've gotten some who tried to rip me off and tell me it's $25 from Guvernment to Bay/College. I'll avoid cabs for the rest of my life if I can.

For some reason I always manage to get super inappropriate cab drivers. Either they're racist, or make inappropriate comments about all of the "hot girls" that live in my area.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I mean, if you want to get together and drink, eat KFC and hunt Monsters on the 12th, I am all for a secondary meetup.

You could change the meet up! D:

You got the touch...! YOU GOT DA POWAAAAAAAAAAH!

I think I'm game for a KFC MonHun meet up on the 12th.

Quick

Banned

Meanwhile, people were probably waiting on cabs elsewhere to find smaller amounts of them and probably just got an Uber driver.

:p

ahdurian

anyone have a place they normally sell their games?
Normally I got to Iceman on Queen+Bathurst/Kensington.
Stopped by GameMania today and they have quite a selection too
Have some LEs and regular games I might sell just to get rid of them, since i either don't play them anymore or they don't interest me enough to play them over the newer backlog of games

Just wanted to give this a shot before I post on kijiji:

Anyone happen to want or need a place downtown for 2 months? I'm subletting my place for 2 months since it'll be unused from end of June to end of August. It's on Bay St. right by U of T.

Roto13

I've taken the bus like once since I moved here 5 years ago and I have to take it tomorrow to do a thing for my husband who is too busy to do it himself.

I'd better get a big-ass anniversary gift this year.

explodet

I've taken the bus like once since I moved here 5 years ago and I have to take it tomorrow to do a thing for my husband who is too busy to do it himself.

I'd better get a big-ass anniversary gift this year.
Get an extra big one if it's the Dufferin line.

EDIT: Here, have a pitcha.

Top Bottom