• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Gonna put like 500 bucks on my presto card.

*years later*

Guys help my presto card was stolen, I had like 500 bucks on it!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gonna put like 500 bucks on my presto card.

*years later*

Guys help my presto card was stolen, I had like 500 bucks on it!

I know you're kidding, but; There's an auto top up system, so if you go below a certain amount (ie; $20) it'll top up for you. No need for large sums on there. The most someone would be required to have on there is a monthly pass.

Willectro

Banned
It screws over the people who buy a shit-ton of tokens before an announced fare increase.

It'll be something scummy like a $0.02 increase to pay for Presto expenses or something. It'll be easier to impose smaller increases with this system.

If you've bought enough token to last 2 years from now, until they're phased out.. well.. that's a shit tone of tokens and you should probably own a metro pass.

It's a good thing and it's progress, even if there will be bumps. It works for literally a hundred other systems around the world, it'll work here.

Thus far, this system seems nothing like superior Montreal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ttc-to-fully-switch-to-presto-cards-will-stop-accepting-tickets-tokens-in-2017/article25065329/ said:
The Presto card has long been a favoured target for government critics. Instead of buying a card off the shelf and writing extra code to adapt ‎it to the local situation, the Ontario government chose to develop a proprietary system, hoping to sell it around the world.

I want what they're smoking.

If there's any organization that could fuck it up, it's the TTC

Yep. Never seems to fuck up in favor of the riders though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm in Paris and the metro here is ridiculously widespread and there are stations literally everywhere. They all smell like piss though, so I dunno

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It'll be something scummy like a $0.02 increase to pay for Presto expenses or something. It'll be easier to impose smaller increases with this system.

I've had a fuck ton of issues with the way PRESTO was developed and rolled out, but just because something doesn't instantly make it as good as another system doesn't mean it isn't progress. And you can't halt all progress because you're afraid they'll fuck it up, they have to move forward at some point.

Sober

I know you're kidding, but; There's an auto top up system, so if you go below a certain amount (ie; $20) it'll top up for you. No need for large sums on there. The most someone would be required to have on there is a monthly pass.
We were talking about this the other day but the time between top ups kinda have to be shorter. Or like Octopus in HK, you should be able to top off at kiosks at stations and that should at least be immediate.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We were talking about this the other day but the time between top ups kinda have to be shorter. Or like Octopus in HK, you should be able to top off at kiosks at stations and that should at least be immediate.

Aye, they better allow you to start topping up manually (and being activated right away) in every station when this is the primary way for most people. Right now it's a pain in the ass and one of the things they have to figure out.

Willectro

Banned
I've had a fuck ton of issues with the way PRESTO was developed and rolled out, but just because something doesn't instantly make it as good as another system doesn't mean it isn't progress. And you can't halt all progress because you're afraid they'll fuck it up, they have to move forward at some point.

Couldn't agree more, but there is no doubt in my mind that Toronto (or any city in Canada) could have the best possible transit system, at no fare cost to riders. The government in various capacities has wasted money to prevent this. On top of that, unless I decide to move to Scarborough, I will be retired (I'm young) before any substantial downtown subway extension/improvement project is complete. I'm just not so excited about a new payment method at this point. Can't wait to hear what the next improvement finished in time for the Pan Am games is, lol.

To be fare, afaik the TTC hasn't had an opportunity to describe in detail what the Presto pass could mean beyond just paying the $3. Timed fares and discounts are hopefully just the beginning.

I'm in Paris and the metro here is ridiculously widespread and there are stations literally everywhere. They all smell like piss though, so I dunno

The difference between Metro lines are night and day, some have new trains with lots of room and others are disasters waiting to happen

Well, it's not like Vancouver's system is going smoothly. The vendor that they chose already got sued by Chicago for developing a horrific system, it failed nearly every speed/response time requirement imposed by Translink, and its been installed on buses and skytrains for nearly 2 years now and is still not operational. You can also see the card readers occasionally crash and reboot into Windows Mobile lmao.

Willectro

Banned
I saw some advertising about commuting during the Pan Am games on the subway this morning. It's bad enough taking transit, but being told to rethink it to accommodate some sports shit is ridiculous.

Anyways, beyond that nonsense, does anyone think the TTC will legitimately be more jammed during the Pan Am games, specifically rush hour? Or is this just hype?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I saw some advertising about commuting during the Pan Am games on the subway this morning. It's bad enough taking transit, but being told to rethink it to accommodate some sports shit is ridiculous.

Anyways, beyond that nonsense, does anyone think the TTC will legitimately be more jammed during the Pan Am games, specifically rush hour? Or is this just hype?

Look at it this way; If you could survive the TTC during any number of other festivals downtown, Pan Am probably won't be drawing as many people as those.

Quadratic

Look at it this way; If you could survive the TTC during any number of other festivals downtown, Pan Am probably won't be drawing as many people as those.

This may be legitimately true. I still see a ton of tickets available for this event.

200.gif

lol.

There might be even less people since there will be some trying to avoid the non-existent crowds for the games.

Kraftwerk

Most people I have spoken to don't care about the games. Some didn't even know it was happening.

They could have had a lot more people hyped in Toronto if the velodrome was built near the lakeshore instead of Milton.

I honestly don't think asking people to find different ways to commute into the city because of the Pan Am Games was a good call at all. It felt like they sent the wrong message to people with that one.

As for congestion, eh, it'll be business as usual. Like, it definitely won't be as bad as say Pride, or Nuit Blanche, or any other festival in the city. The way to go about the Pan Am Games is if you're interested then by all means check out the games. They're in town, if that's your thing might as well. If not then it can be easily ignored. Seriously, I see a lot of comments online and it sounds like people just actively want the Pan Am Games to fail to prove some unnecessary point, Yes it is probably a waste of money, but wanting it to fail isn't the right response to it at all. Such a typical 'Toronto Attitude'.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I see a lot of comments online and it sounds like people just actively want the Pan Am Games to fail to prove some unnecessary point, Yes it is probably a waste of money, but wanting it to fail isn't the right response to it at all. Such a typical 'Toronto Attitude'.
It's because people are afraid that if it doesn't fail then a Summer Olympics push will come back.

krae_man

If you don't feel like waiting in line for Uncle Tetsu tomorrow morning you can wait in line for a used iPhone 5s or 5c.

Wind has *used* iPhone now LOL. Yonge/Dundas location is doing giveaways to launch tomorrow.

Use it on the subway after!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't feel like waiting in line for Uncle Tetsu tomorrow morning you can wait in line for a used iPhone 5s or 5c.

Wind has *used* iPhone now LOL. Yonge/Dundas location is doing giveaways to launch tomorrow.

.... -_-

Robelus is so fucking useless....

ahdurian

actually tempted...

Willectro

Banned
Probably old news, but this is the July Metropass? (not my image)
C7CT4Rm.jpg

Wow, just wow.

Hearing about the lack of hotel bookings makes me feel oddly bad. All this prep, time, and money, but the interest may prove to be limited.

Hieberrr

Probably old news, but this is the July Metropass? (not my image)
C7CT4Rm.jpg

Wow, just wow.

Hearing about the lack of hotel bookings makes me feel oddly bad. All this prep, time, and money, but the interest may prove to be limited.
Looks pretty awesome. I don't get why people in Toronto keep talking down this event and hoping it fails. Such a shitty attitude.

Fuzzy

If only they didn't push the idea that having Women's World Cup games in Toronto would be a bad idea and detract attention from the Pan Am Games. It would've actually promoted the games.

zroid

Banned
If only they didn't push the idea that having Women's World Cup games in Toronto would be a bad idea and detract attention from the Pan Am Games. It would've actually promoted the games.

In hindsight they probably would have done this. The timing was poor since women's soccer was really put on the map in Canada at London 2012. Hardly anyone cared before then. But now, the interest level in the WWC is waaaayyyy higher than the PAG.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was at a pedestrian crosswalk and pressed th button. Car came and it was way too fast so I waited for it to stop. Asshole not only sped up and drove through but also splashed me too.

Fuck this city sometimes.

Fuzzy

I was at a pedestrian crosswalk and pressed th button. Car came and it was way too fast so I waited for it to stop. Asshole not only sped up and drove through but also splashed me too.

Fuck this city sometimes.
Come on, the poor car driver wanted to get out of the rain.

Top Bottom