• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm gonna miss the Kessel gif.

Dark times when I found that gif to represent my love of Kessel.

His first season with us and people were already shitting all over him because of how bad the season was going. I took it upon myself to turn the negativity into positivity whenever he'd score and it just kinda caught on. :lol

Quick

Banned
I have a better version of that gif that I ended up making because we needed to better style on fools in the NHL thread.

Not sure if I should even share it with Pens-Age. Ick.

zroid

Banned
I have a better version of that gif that I ended up making because we needed to better style on fools in the NHL thread.

Not sure if I should even share it with Pens-Age. Ick.

You can use it when he scores on the Leafs next season :'(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
looking for affordable apartments downtown shouldn't be this hard, should it Toronto-GAF? :(

Splitting hairs over trying to find something half decent. Pretty much anything below $1700/mo is either a crackhouse or debatably downtown.

btw OP was pretty useful with it's links to various sites

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
looking for affordable apartments downtown shouldn't be this hard, should it Toronto-GAF? :(

Splitting hairs over trying to find something half decent. Pretty much anything below $1700/mo is either a crackhouse or debatably downtown.

We're at St Clair and Bathurst, which technically isn't 'downtown', but we're 2 minutes from the subway which is three stops to St George. Paying $1,100 per month inclusive. Previous apartment was in Swansea (even further out), but only $845 inclusive. Both are really nice areas with a ton of green space, which is important to me being a dog owner.

Really, I'd never want to live in the core. As long as you're along the subway line in the old City of Toronto you're not going to have to commute very far. Living along streetcar routes (ie; 501) as your primary form of commuting downtown can be a bit more of an adventure.

I'd recommend not being adverse to older low rise apartment buildings either. As long as they're well maintained, they are a good no frills option to live in. You're not getting your gym, pool, or impressive lobby you'll have in a condo, or new development, but you're not paying for it either then.

I can't even find a studio for less than $1400.

Well I took advantage of that promo code and bought myself some Pan Am Games tickets. I'll be checking out both Sunday sessions of rugby sevens, from 10a-2p and 4p-8p. Go is free, so is TTC. Came to $50 total for both events, I'm pretty pleased.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Eh, in a huge city like Toronto I can understand it being a bit difficult to find reasonably priced apartments downtown. Any particular reason you don't look at spots just outside of downtown?

(Not being from Toronto, what streets do you define as being the border to downtown? Bloor / Yonge / Spadina / Front?)

tbh I want to to move to hamilton or Mississauga

till I can get the capital to move to BC after I finish college.

Lol, reading about this whole transit plebiscite in Vancouver that got voted down with 62% no. They were trying to increase sales tax by 0.5% to add funding to Translink. I'm just thinking, man, in Toronto people hate TTC so much even though (I believe) they have better management, lower executive pay, AND less funding than Translink in BC. If TTC even dared to try to ask for a sales tax increase for more funding, they'd probably get torn apart here, haha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We're at St Clair and Bathurst, which technically isn't 'downtown', but we're 2 minutes from the subway which is three stops to St George. Paying $1,100 per month inclusive. Previous apartment was in Swansea (even further out), but only $845 inclusive. Both are really nice areas with a ton of green space, which is important to me being a dog owner.

Really, I'd never want to live in the core. As long as you're along the subway line in the old City of Toronto you're not going to have to commute very far. Living along streetcar routes (ie; 501) as your primary form of commuting downtown can be a bit more of an adventure.

I'd recommend not being adverse to older low rise apartment buildings either. As long as they're well maintained, they are a good no frills option to live in. You're not getting your gym, pool, or impressive lobby you'll have in a condo, or new development, but you're not paying for it either then.
Yeah I don't care about any of those amenities, I just want a cheap place with good public transit access. Why are basements discouraged (RE: OP), though? It seems the money you save is pretty significant; I guess finding what areas are good, and which are bad is a nightmare considering those pockets are everywhere.

Eh, in a huge city like Toronto I can understand it being a bit difficult to find reasonably priced apartments downtown. Any particular reason you don't look at spots just outside of downtown?

(Not being from Toronto, what streets do you define as being the border to downtown? Bloor / Yonge / Spadina / Front?)
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be downtown-downtown, but I want to be close because my university is downtown, and it's also about balancing distance against a monthly TTC cost if you end up requiring that anyways. Those borders are roughly the ones me and my roomie are using.

I'm coming from Brampton so I really have little context for what are good areas to look in, and it seems like options are always minimal and you're looking at $1700 with amenities or not. By the time you get to tour a place 6 other people saw it a week ago. It's the first time I'm looking for a place of my own and it really is the most stressful thing in the world.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah I don't care about any of those amenities, I just want a cheap place with good public transit access. Why are basements discouraged (RE: OP), though? It seems the money you save is pretty significant; I guess finding what areas are good, and which are bad is a nightmare considering those pockets are everywhere.

I warn people against basements, because it's even more of a crap shoot than a regular shittly run apartment. It's mostly an owner issue. People that own the house often have a tough time respecting the basement as your space. If there's 'shared laundry' and it happens that they have to come into the basement to use it, bail. A lot of people are just trying to cover their new house they can't afford too and renting out their basement as the solution. You'll find most won't be up to code and you can insert any variety of issues from leaks, to pests to heating issues. You surely can find great basement apartments from good people, but it may be difficult. I'd ask for reference from previous tenants and if possible, start on a month to month lease.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I warn people against basements, because it's even more of a crap shoot than a regular shittly run apartment. It's mostly an owner issue. People that own the house often have a tough time respecting the basement as your space. If there's 'shared laundry' and it happens that they have to come into the basement to use it, bail. A lot of people are just trying to cover their new house they can't afford too and renting out their basement as the solution. You'll find most won't be up to code and you can insert any variety of issues from leaks, to pests to heating issues. You surely can find great basement apartments from good people, but it may be difficult. I'd ask for reference from previous tenants and if possible, start on a month to month lease.
Dammit! And here I was gonna trap him. Thanks a lot, EM. Thanks...!

Dr.Acula

Banned
I just passed Dundas and Manning and saw "Hero Video Games," are they notable for anything? Also, further on at Dovercourt I saw this place called Junked Food Co. I'm getting a grilled cheese donut with like doritos on it. Hopefully this is good. They just opened in February.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Renting from Kuro is okay, but there's the prerequisite that you need to be on call all the time to carry him in Monster Hunter.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I somehow missed the announcement that bell is rolling out Gigabit FTTH in Toronto now

I am excite

They're going for majority penetration by 2017

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You want to pay $200+/month for internet?

For gigabit internet, sure.

I already pay $150 and have been considering having a line fed to my house by cogeco data services (pricey) but figured they were close to rolling out because of some random deployments in the GTA.

I have been waiting for FTTH for nearly a decade since the initial announcement of rollouts by Bell Aliant in Quebec.

Also its apparently $150 with unlimited bandwidth. Yowza.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For gigabit internet, sure.

I already pay $150 and have been considering having a line fed to my house by cogeco data services (pricey) but figured they were close to rolling out because of some random deployments in the GTA.

I have been waiting for FTTH for nearly a decade since the initial announcement of rollouts by Bell Aliant in Quebec.

Also its apparently $150 with unlimited bandwidth. Yowza.
Jesus. We are a third world country when it comes to Internet. Korea would already have that speed and be like 40 dollars CAD. And this was like a decade ago.

Sober

Well at least threatening to move to South Korea for better Internet speeds is more sensible than thinking you can move to Canada to avoid the gays taking over.

krae_man

Well at least threatening to move to South Korea for better Internet speeds is more sensible than thinking you can move to Canada to avoid the gays taking over.

I'm convinced every one of those people are just mocking homophobes and the people who believe them are idiots.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I am (almost) always free for meetups around the Annex. If you hunt monsters, all the better.

By the way, if you count the Tsilon, Fan Expo, Monster Hunter, Playstation events and other meetups, we're like, triple even UK's meetup total. There is no need to worry, we're not falling behind anytime soon.

Downtown isn't affordable, try Finch and Yonge or Sheppard and Yonge, even St Clair and Yonge might be slightly pricey but not as expensive as renting downtown.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I am (almost) always free for meetups around the Annex. If you hunt monsters, all the better.

By the way, if you count the Tsilon, Fan Expo, Monster Hunter, Playstation events and other meetups, we're like, triple even UK's meetup total. There is no need to worry, we're not falling behind anytime soon.
Mah....blood...sug-
I was thinking we need one meetup before Fan Expo. How is everyone's end of July lookin?

Also LOL at no NYCC Meetups.
Hmmm...I should be good unless I'm taking vacation and going somewhere.

Top Bottom