• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The only solution is to never travel anywhere and just believe the 'TTC is world class' line whenever you hear it. It works for Americans.

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://youtu.be/qWp3zyjbasY

Crazy mugging in Kensington. Two girls lure a couple of guys, then five guys in Might Ducks formation swoop down and mug them. Beat them too, one of them got a face slash.

Seems unprofitable for 7 people to participate in a mugging tho.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
@reporterdonpeat
"I have to get to where I have to go" Rob Ford admits he's hopped into HOV lanes without enough passengers in car

What a rebel.

Crazy mugging in Kensington. Two girls lure a couple of guys, then five guys in Might Ducks formation swoop down and mug them. Beat them too, one of them got a face slash.

Scary stuff. Every time a swarming incident is reported at a local park my stomach ties itself in knots. And I imagine it's about stealing for some profit (ie; their phones), but also these jackasses probably just get a kick out of it.

Willectro

Banned

I could be wrong, but there's gotta be more going on here. I get the allure, but even still, going down an alleyway in Kensington at 2:30AM? Drugs must be involved in some way.

TTC posted a video about the TTConnects phone fare payment option thing. I actually hope this comes out this week, I kinda wanna try it out.

https://youtu.be/aHGU_kdJaWc

Swarming incidents are fucking scary. Hell, just thinking about that one incident from a while ago in the Christie Pits where a group was swarmed by a bunch of teenagers with Roman candals makes me shiver.

But I wonder what those girls said to convince those two dudes to follow them into some random back alley in Kensington Market. I can't imagine just anyone would willingly agree to go into some random back alley at 2AM in the morning.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TTC posted a video about the TTConnects phone fare payment option thing. I actually hope this comes out this week, I kinda wanna try it out.

https://youtu.be/aHGU_kdJaWc

I wonder how well educated drivers will be regarding that. I imagine there will be a lot of 'wtf' incidents with people trying to use it and drivers not understanding. How many times are drivers going to demand to have your phone to verify it? I see that it flashes different colours when you touch it, but still it looks really, really easy to spoof for free rides. Maybe it would be better if you could scan a barcode / QR into a NFC / PRESTO reader?

It's nice to see them trying. I'll be interesting to see how it is in practice. Thankfully I'll be using PRESTO whenever it's up and running fully. Tokens and a single metropass for the two of us until then.

It's good enough for a short term solution if the colors change. If it's always the same colors and animation then they fucked up.

Barcode or QR would be easier to scam TTC with if you could just have one person buy a day pass, screenshot it, then send it out to everyone to use.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's good enough for a short term solution if the colors change. If it's always the same colors and animation then they fucked up.

Barcode or QR would be easier to scam TTC with if you could just have one person buy a day pass, screenshot it, then send it out to everyone to use.

I guess the issue with the scanner is true too, but they could 'secure' it by tracking movements and scan frequency. If someone is scanning at Dundas West Station and Broadview & Queen streetcar within five minutes of each other, that should flag something. Of course that's way more complex that the TTC will ever go. Like metropasses right now, they don't allow you to immediately scan through again to avoid pass backs. That's probably the best we could hope for.

I am not certain drivers will be able to remember a colour pattern, or simple animation day to day either. But I have my doubts about them even caring 99% of the time, just like drivers that wave through anything that looks remotely like a legit transfer right now. Maybe they'll be checking more on unboardings at stations like they're doing at Spadina streetcar POP right now? We'll see.

Who wants to be the first brave person on GAF to try it?

I wonder how well educated drivers will be regarding that. I imagine there will be a lot of 'wtf' incidents with people trying to use it and drivers not understanding. How many times are drivers going to demand to have your phone to verify it? I see that it flashes different colours when you touch it, but still it looks really, really easy to spoof for free rides. Maybe it would be better if you could scan a barcode / QR into a NFC / PRESTO reader?

It's nice to see them trying. I'll be interesting to see how it is in practice. Thankfully I'll be using PRESTO whenever it's up and running fully. Tokens and a single metropass for the two of us until then.

I just want some alternative between tokens and a metropass. Right now it isn't worth it for me to get a metropass because I walk to work, yet at the same time I will take any opportunity to ditch the fuck out of tokens.

I wonder if they do have a reason for why this TTConnects thing doesn't just use NFC tapping for validation. If it's gonna be on smart phones only might as well have NFC as well

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just want some alternative between tokens and a metropass. Right now it isn't worth it for me to get a metropass because I walk to work, yet at the same time I will take any opportunity to ditch the fuck out of tokens.

I wonder if they do have a reason for why this TTConnects thing doesn't just use NFC tapping for validation. If it's gonna be on smart phones only might as well have NFC as well

I have to imagine it comes down to cost. Developing this, especially if it's a stop gap, and having people flash their phones is cheaper than installing the required NFC readers. Full PRESTO coming soon though, fingers crossed.

Willectro

Banned

Agree 100%, but why not just have a better payment model in general (not presto either)? This app seems to have nearly identical issues to the paper version, mainly that you have to go through a manned booth to enter the subway, which is often inconvenient.

I'm sick of trying to sell this PC. Anyone know of any place that I can sell used PCs to? Or will give me money for scrap? Probably asked this before, I don't remember.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Yeah, but let's be fair. It is still a 100-year leap from the old day pass

wWOzJK7.jpg

mr.rager

Not even gonna front, I'm a douchebag and I rarely pay the fare whenever I take the subway. My buddies would pass me their metro pass and wait until someone starts talking to the person in the booth and walk by and just flash the employee the pass lol. Gonna be even easier to scam the TTC with this phone app thing.

Willectro

Banned
i5 3550
16GB DDR3
660 Ti
1TB HDD
Corsair 650D case

Don't have the motherboard model on hand but it's an Asus Z77. Been trying to get rid of this thing since January to put a dent in the money I spent on a Macbook Pro.

Decent. I bet people would buy that to play LoL, etc. Have you tried kijiji?

Anony

i5 3550
16GB DDR3
660 Ti
1TB HDD
Corsair 650D case

Don't have the motherboard model on hand but it's an Asus Z77. Been trying to get rid of this thing since January to put a dent in the money I spent on a Macbook Pro.

how much are u selling it for, doubt it will go over 500$ the vid card and hdd is pretty much worthless fyi

if you're parting out, i might be interested in the mobo, i'm looking for spare parts

Decent. I bet people would buy that to play LoL, etc. Have you tried kijiji?

Yup, tried Kijiji.

how much are u selling it for, doubt it will go over 500$ the vid card and hdd is pretty much worthless fyi

if you're parting out, i might be interested in the mobo, i'm looking for spare parts

Asking $600. Definitely don't want to part it out, that would just make selling all of it more painful.

Azih

God the Brampton LRT vote was a clusterfuck.

5 For, 5 Against, One said "HEY LET'S WAIT ANOTHER SIX WEEKS TO DECIDE".

What the hell is wrong with this region?

cbox

Not sure, but with the amount of development in Brampton right now, and without a highway - it's gonna be one hellish region from now on unless some serious infrastructure is built. Brampton is HUGE, and a nightmare to travel by car AND bus, since their service is so sporadic.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

major transit infrastructure is a rarity to a suburb

and this one connects a small suburb to a huge one!

that hurontario LRT is on the central nerve of missisauga it would be stupid to decline. if it ever gets linked into the TTC mass transit... brampton will look really stupid if they keep putting this off

hell... i even forgot about the GO Regional Express Rail on Lakeshore... that GO line will operate like another LRT... it's going to be 10 minute service and not 1 hour when it goes online

Azih

And it's nuts because the residents seem to want it. I'm not from Brampton but I hope there's some sort of organized pressure on the 5 dumbasses voting against this

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Here you go

The pictures from Germany may be a bit more blurry because I was constantly inebriated

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to eat nothing but lettuce for three months.
Lol
"Augustine Munich: I have no idea what this is"
Looks good. I should go myself and take a bunch of pictures of me eating that food and then get back home and get murdered by my wife.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Lol
"Augustine Munich: I have no idea what this is"
Looks good. I should go myself and take a bunch of pictures of me eating that food and then get back home and get murdered by my wife.

Just do it and bring back a bunch of foie for her

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Final round of polling. How is the 24th looking for everyone for the next meetup?

How did everyone like St Louis?
I say we meet up at Pour Boy or that other one nearby in Koreatown. Especially if we're going for KFC later. Ask Quad for the name of them.

Lots of space. Good access to power outlet. Nearby subway. Close to EM's place. Close to KFC. Food was average but I didn't throw up that night.

Kraftwerk

Had to take a taxi instead of UBER today....and the driver won't shut up about how I should never take UBER and how evil it is. Jesus Christ.

These guys truly don't get it. Lot of people don't care about the higher fare and shit, its the constant shitty customer service that makes it miserable.

soultron

Banned
Had to take a taxi instead of UBER today....and the driver won't shut up about how I should never take UBER and how evil it is. Jesus Christ.

These guys truly don't get it. Lot of people don't care about the higher fare and shit, its the constant shitty customer service that makes it miserable.

I've had nothing but great service using taxis. Some guys are talkative and share stories about their kids and stuff. Some are quiet if you don't want to talk. I really don't mind, personally.

I've not tried Uber yet, I'll say that though.

Top Bottom