• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I saw a lot of tourists these past few days downtown. Everyone there, locals and tourists, seems to embrace the games. The people who bitch about it are the same people who bitch about everything else about this city instead of realizing how much this city has changed for the better in the last 15 years. Go out, enjoy the games, the people, and the vibe.
Let's see how much the TTC has changed for the better in the last 15 years....! D:

Sober

Yeah, I saw a lot of tourists these past few days downtown. Everyone there, locals and tourists, seems to embrace the games. The people who bitch about it are the same people who bitch about everything else about this city instead of realizing how much this city has changed for the better in the last 15 years. Go out, enjoy the games, the people, and the vibe.
So the people complaining are /r/toronto regulars who actually just live in Toronto but don't go outside much.

I mean yeah there's valid criticisms in hosting the games and hoping to get a _real_ Olympic bid but the games are on right now, just enjoy them while they last and all.

Roto13

As someone who lived in Vancouver during the winter Olympics, bitches need to calm the fuck down and have a bit of fun.

I dunno, I had a lot of fun during the Vancouve Olympics. Then again, I was still in university at the time and they gave all post-secondary students the entire Olympics off.

N° 2048

Anyone know where I can get a cheap bike? Looking for under $400 with a warranty perhaps?

Sorry for the generic Toronto question.

Went to the rugby sevens on Sunday, and it was fantastic. Crowd was sparse for the morning session, but they had 21,000 at BMO for the medal rounds. Greatest crowd rendition of O Canada I've ever heard right before the mens final, Canada vs Argentina. And the Chilean/Canadian mens quarterfinal was the most unreal end to a rugby match I've ever seen. Absolute madness. (From about 21 min on, just unreal.)

And mid-afternoon in between the rugby sessions I went to the Football Factory and saw Giovinco put 3 goals (should've been 5) on NYCFC in a stupid draw.

What a day.

mr.rager

Driving downtown during these games is surprisingly not as frustrating as I thought it would be. Been taking my best friend around town since Friday and I haven't had any problems at all.

Willectro

Banned

I want them to succeed as we have all had to tolerate the headaches, etc, and I want the profit to be put towards transit, but as a taxpayer I 100% don't care about more sports facilities. There's never money for fuck all, but sports (specifically hockey) never seem to be an issue. We have literally thousands of other projects more deserving of funding, yet continuously Canada/Ontario/Toronto prioritizes sports.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I want them to succeed as we have all had to tolerate the headaches, etc, and I want the profit to be put towards transit, but as a taxpayer I 100% don't care about more sports facilities. There's never money for fuck all, but sports (specifically hockey) never seem to be an issue. We have literally thousands of other projects more deserving of funding, yet continuously Canada/Ontario/Toronto prioritizes sports.

I don't think anyone would argue it would have been great to have received more public transit upgrades than the UP Express.

explodet

Driving downtown during these games is surprisingly not as frustrating as I thought it would be. Been taking my best friend around town since Friday and I haven't had any problems at all.
It's been a little annoying for me because some intersections had their turns removed which messed up my usual routes. Turned me around for like 10 minutes this weekend. Nothing I can't adapt to, though.
I don't think anyone would argue it would have been great to have received more public transit upgrades than the UP Express.
Are you kidding? We got those GREAT art pieces at Union Station!

tumblr_moyxkvpElV1sqoxabo1_500.png

soultron

Banned
Anyone know where I can get a cheap bike? Looking for under $400 with a warranty perhaps?

Sorry for the generic Toronto question.
Bolt cutters at Canadian Tire are like $20.

IM KIDDING. Try inquiring about used bikes from one of the many shops? They might come with a shop warranty or tune ups for a few months. Heck, if you buy used, you can put the difference toward any repairs you might need.

Azih

I think the way Canada is hauling down medals is helping turn public apathy/disdain around a fair bit. We're performing like the Australia of the Americas in these games.

It does also show that, seriously, big sporting events should be held in places with heavily developed infrastructure.

Mupod

I haven't noticed any difference in traffic at all, but I'm in Etobicoke and work near the airport. The construction on Kipling is what's been screwing me over mostly.

Anyways there's a Mediterranean potluck at work on Friday. Oh god I'm from the woods of northern Ontario I barely even know what that means. The sign up sheet seems to be mostly salads, couscous, hummus and other meat-less stuff, I'd like to try and bring something nobody else is.

On a related note I'll have been here for 3 months as of Monday. Going to be the first time in my life I actually have a job that lets me have sick days instead of 'haha fuck you'. It's a little thing, and I probably won't even use them because I don't get sick much/ever, but it means a lot to me.

Kraftwerk

So, had an exciting day at work.

Someone stole a $6000 bike from work. It happened during a busy time and we all felt dumb for it happening.

I felt sick, and couldn't sleep. I messaged everyone I knew in the bike shops and companies. Around midnight one of then contacted me saying he saw an ad that's similar to our stolen bike.

I found the ad, and called the guy the next day and set up a meeting for 7pm last night. Then called detectives, and they came and asked me some questions and took my phone so they could text the thief and lure him.

They brought back ny phone later last night and told me the guy was arrested and they got the bike back. Guy seemed to belong to a ring, and also had a lot of other stolen property.

Feels good. What a relief it was.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, had an exciting day at work.

Someone stole a $6000 bike from work. It happened during a busy time and we all felt dumb for it happening.

I felt sick, and couldn't sleep. I messaged everyone I knew in the bike shops and companies. Around midnight one of then contacted me saying he saw an ad that's similar to our stolen bike.

I found the ad, and called the guy the next day and set up a meeting for 7pm last night. Then called detectives, and they came and asked me some questions and took my phone so they could text the thief and lure him.

They brought back ny phone later last night and told me the guy was arrested and they got the bike back. Guy seemed to belong to a ring, and also had a lot of other stolen property.

Feels good. What a relief it was.

Nicely done. Bicycle thievery so rampant in the city. Everything from a junker that's worth less than a TTC weekly pass to $19,000 racing bicycles are targeted. If I bike in the city I would be so paranoid at all times I didn't have it in my sights.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wonder why bike thievery is so bad here, well not as bad as Montreal, but still. In Munich I saw people just left their bikes lying around without even locking them

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wonder why bike thievery is so bad here, well not as bad as Montreal, but still. In Munich I saw people just left their bikes lying around without even locking them

Same situation in Japan last year. Didn't matter if it was in the city, or in the country, people just left their bicycles wherever with no fear of it being stolen. Maybe bicycle registration there helps? But that pretty much went for anything. You could literally leave your backpack somewhere and return five hours later to find it in the exact same spot.

Bike thievery rings seem to be a thing. I seem to remember when I was going to university in Hamilton that a thief was caught and police searched his property, discovering a house that seemingly existed with the sole purpose of storing over 200 stolen bikes. Not sure if I have all the details correct, I tried searching for a news story but couldn't find anything.

6-7 years ago Chris was looking at bicycles on craiglist and we went to see one a someone's house in Bloor West Village. The guy's backyard was basically just a mountain of bicycles under a bunch of tarps. It seemed like the most shady thing ever. This was long before I ever thought that people would literally cut loose any bicycle they could find to flip it. I'd never even consider craigslist, or kijiji at this point.

soultron

Banned
Bike thievery rings seem to be a thing. I seem to remember when I was going to university in Hamilton that a thief was caught and police searched his property, discovering a house that seemingly existed with the sole purpose of storing over 200 stolen bikes. Not sure if I have all the details correct, I tried searching for a news story but couldn't find anything.

Anyone got any reccomendations for reetaurants in Toronto? Preferably not too far (in terms of transit) from Young and Dundas? I asked out a girl in one of my classes, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good place to take her for a first date dinner/movie. I was thinking of Manpuku, but I'm worried that it might be too casual.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Seconded for JaBistro

Or Momofuku Daisho + Milk Bar

Or Lee's

Or Colette Grand Cafe <I'd actually recommend this one for something more romantic

Or Edulis

Baton Rouge, Three Brewers, Jack Astors, Joey, Hard Rock Cafe are all near Yonge-Dundas

You can also check out the Summerlicious list and see if there is anything you'd like

Willectro

Banned

The thief that Kraft talked about has likely been released from custody already (yes, innocent until proven guilty, etc) so he could be happily jacking bikes right now.

I think for punishment he should have to fill empty seats at Pan-Am events.

mr.rager

Anyone got any reccomendations for reetaurants in Toronto? Preferably not too far (in terms of transit) from Young and Dundas? I asked out a girl in one of my classes, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good place to take her for a first date dinner/movie. I was thinking of Manpuku, but I'm worried that it might be too casual.

Jack Astor's on Yonge and Dundas, the outdoor patio overlooking Dundas Square is great, especially during a cool summer night.

soultron

Banned
The thief that Kraft talked about has likely been released from custody already (yes, innocent until proven guilty, etc) so he could be happily jacking bikes right now.

I think for punishment he should have to fill empty seats at Pan-Am events.

"You mean I have to fill 32 seats at once? That's impossible!"
"Bring out Mr. Ford and the chainsaw."
"Please, oh god, NOOOO!"

Willectro

Banned
72 charges filed against Toronto UberX drivers as city moves toward regulation

Toronto's Councillors are at it again - making getting around Toronto both more complicated and difficult. I don't have a preference between taxis and Uber, but Toronto has had the opprotunity to improve transit literally since inception, and we rarely take the opportunity - so someone else (Uber) did.

Meanwhile:

Toronto city councillor suggests UberX passengers could be fined up to $20,000 for using &#8216;bandit taxis

Related:

Uber opponent Jim Karygiannis got campaign donations from taxi industry

At least one donor, Co-Op Cabs CEO Peter Zahakos, has since registered to lobby Mr. Karygiannis and others on taxi licensing. Mr. Zahakos, who contributed $300 to Mr. Karygiannis&#8217; campaign, has met with the councillor four times since January, according to the lobbyist registry.

&#8220;Peter and I have been friends for 30 years,&#8221; Mr. Karygiannis said. &#8220;Peter has volunteered on every one of my campaigns. ... What am I going to say? Peter can&#8217;t help me because he&#8217;s involved in the industry?&#8221;

Where to even start here? Smh. Toronto's very own Nixon.

Top Bottom