• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Brinbe

Same here. Ye always puts on a great show. Such a random pairing though. Why not get Aubrey for this? Though he'll probably be there anyway.

Mupod

Bit of an odd request but I'l looking for a PAL VCR. Doesn't need to be multisystem or able to convert, just able to play back PAL tapes on either a PAL or NTSC TV (it's not for me).

My endless quest for Sega Genesis games has sent me through countless yard sales and flea markets, but despite this area having tons of people from Europe I've yet to find one of those damn things. Or Streets of Rage 2 and Phantasy Star 4, for that matter. Ebay prices are insane because our dollar sucks and shipping is expensive as shit.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bit of an odd request but I'l looking for a PAL VCR. Doesn't need to be multisystem or able to convert, just able to play back PAL tapes on either a PAL or NTSC TV (it's not for me).

My endless quest for Sega Genesis games has sent me through countless yard sales and flea markets, but despite this area having tons of people from Europe I've yet to find one of those damn things. Or Streets of Rage 2 and Phantasy Star 4, for that matter. Ebay prices are insane because our dollar sucks and shipping is expensive as shit.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/for-sale:-europian-asian-african-pal-secam-sanyo-vcr/433801071?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

among others on kijiji

Divvy

No service between Lawrence and York Mills subway stations right now. Not even shuttle buses

#ForTTCitsjustTuesday

Quick

Banned
I was just reading through the Canada recession thread, and holy fuck at Tabris' posts.

I don't think I've ever seen any posts here being as smug and pretentious about living in Toronto as Tabris' about living in Vancouver. Just WOW.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was just reading through the Canada recession thread, and holy fuck at Tabris' posts.

I don't think I've ever seen any posts here being as smug and pretentious about living in Toronto as Tabris' about living in Vancouver. Just WOW.

You ain't use to his trololollin' by now?

Did he post more pics of the dinner and the washroom before his threesome?

Divvy

k9B4Rfk.jpg

this meme don't quit

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So apparently a petition has started to remove Kanye at the closing ceremonies but not because they hate him but because the creator thinks they should get a local act instead.

No service between Lawrence and York Mills subway stations right now. Not even shuttle buses

#ForTTCitsjustTuesday

I got caught in that at North York Centre station because I went to Tim Horton's before catching the subway at Finch, those 5 minutes cost me 15 lol

LOL.

Dude thinks living in Vancouver is like god's gift to man. Unfortunately, this is a feeling shared by many Vancouverites. For some reason, it's almost always people who live at home and have never even lived anywhere else, let alone on their own, before.

Did he post more pics of the dinner and the washroom before his threesome?

What a tool. Link?

Tabris

LOL.

Dude thinks living in Vancouver is like god's gift to man. Unfortunately, this is a feeling shared by many Vancouverites. For some reason, it's almost always people who live at home and have never even lived anywhere else, let alone on their own, before.

I live alone in a condo I purchased myself.

I have traveled across all of North America for my work. I have been to almost every major metropolis in North America, and the only cities I would consider living in over Vancouver are San Francisco and New York - and only thing that holds me back besides family and friends is that those 2 cities are in the US. International cities is a different situation, with a lot better cities, I would consider Tokyo, Vienna, London, Singapore, and Melbourne.

I don't like the suburban sprawl outside Toronto. Toronto downtown directly is really nice but everything around it is kinda gross. Don't like the super highway culture Toronto / Ontario imported from America in the 50's either. They also voted not to take down the Gardiner (spelling), so they aren't progressing yet on better city planning. Still a bit poor on this front.

EDIT - San Francisco is decent on not having as much highways through it's core. It just has the Interstate 280 and the 101, but they take a bit of a round-about way near the closer edges of San Fran. Still not great though, I quite dislike the American car culture that created suburban sprawls and mass highways.

EDIT 2 - To see what I mean about Vancouver vs Toronto on highways - Do a google search maps of Vancouver and Toronto and look at the difference in the large orange lines.

I love Vancouver, too, but everyone should know by now that West Coast is Dead Coast. If you're not on the Canadian Shield, you're doing it wrong.

zroid

Banned
I love Vancouver, too, but everyone should know by now that West Coast is Dead Coast. If you're not on the Canadian Shield, you're doing it wrong.

Vancouver's gonna be toast in a few years anyways

#CascadiaIsComing

edit: I just realized after getting some sleep that was probably the joke. woops

Azih

Huh, that seems reasonable to me Tabris. There's a lot of suburban sprawl around Vancouver though isn't there? I've heard of Burnaby.

soultron

Banned
I'll be honest in saying that if there was still a viable video game industry sector in Van, I'd probably be living there -- living costs be damned. The one time I got to visit EA Burnaby, it was like a dream out there.

Indicate

I live alone in a condo I purchased myself.

I have traveled across all of North America for my work. I have been to almost every major metropolis in North America, and the only cities I would consider living in over Vancouver are San Francisco and New York - and only thing that holds me back besides family and friends is that those 2 cities are in the US. International cities is a different situation, with a lot better cities, I would consider Tokyo, Vienna, London, Singapore, and Melbourne.

I don't like the suburban sprawl outside Toronto. Toronto downtown directly is really nice but everything around it is kinda gross. Don't like the super highway culture Toronto / Ontario imported from America in the 50's either. They also voted not to take down the Gardiner (spelling), so they aren't progressing yet on better city planning. Still a bit poor on this front.

EDIT - San Francisco is decent on not having as much highways through it's core. It just has the Interstate 280 and the 101, but they take a bit of a round-about way near the closer edges of San Fran. Still not great though, I quite dislike the American car culture that created suburban sprawls and mass highways.

EDIT 2 - To see what I mean about Vancouver vs Toronto on highways - Do a google search maps of Vancouver and Toronto and look at the difference in the large orange lines.

Tory made a mistake for not taking down the Gardiner when countless experts advised him to do so. He's still better than Ford though. I hate the divisiveness that's been created the past few years between Toronto's inner suburbs and downtown core. It's holding back development in Toronto from truly shining.

Roto13

Currently completely without mobile service because of wind mobile's coverage. Who knew it wouldn't work at all in rural Newfoundland?

Tabris

I'll be honest in saying that if there was still a viable video game industry sector in Van, I'd probably be living there -- living costs be damned. The one time I got to visit EA Burnaby, it was like a dream out there.

Isn't something like 5-10% of North American video game development in Vancouver. We have several big studios, the large EA campus, and lots of smaller studios. A lot more then Toronto. I think it's Vancouver and Montreal leading all development in Canada.

So if that's your career, you may want to consider Vancouver or Montreal over Toronto.

Huh, that seems reasonable to me Tabris. There's a lot of suburban sprawl around Vancouver though isn't there? I've heard of Burnaby.

It's a different experience. There's still a lot of urban densification in places like Burnaby, and the car culture is a lot smaller here. The super highways from 50's American car culture and the same level of suburban sprawl isn't here. It's not due to any special reason, Vancouver just grew up much later then Toronto, so it was able to build in a more modern view of urban densification. More European and Asian influenced then American influenced like Toronto started as.

Toronto is changing, but the Gardiner example shows you're not there yet as a city.

soultron

Banned
Isn't something like 5-10% of North American video game development in Vancouver. We have several big studios, the large EA campus, and lots of smaller studios. A lot more then Toronto. I think it's Vancouver and Montreal leading all development in Canada.

So if that's your career, you may want to consider Vancouver or Montreal over Toronto.

Eh, I've been in TO for 3 years so far, building my career. I'm more likely to shift to MTL first, instead of Vancouver. There's not really any enticing projects or studios that cater to my tastes in Vancouver, right now.

Vancouver's industry scene got slaughtered, what with midteir devs getting shuttered and then the change in tax breaks. It's not what it used to be, unfortunately.

Willectro

Banned
Kanye petition at nearly 20k signatures. Have we found out who came up with this brilliant idea initially? I was thinking about it last night, and it's pretty sad considering Toronto's diverse music scene that the best we could come up with is Kanye, Pitbull, and Serena Ryder (born in TO, grew up in Millbrook).

How to make decisions in Toronto: put all ideas, good, bad and horrible, in a hat. Establish a few delays. Pull an idea from the hat. More delays. Reveal decision.

Azih

What's wrong with Kanye? He's an international superstar and will attract a lot of attention. Kinda surprised it's not Drake but Kanye has pull, as does Pitbull.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kanye petition at nearly 20k signatures. Have we found out who came up with this brilliant idea initially? I was thinking about it last night, and it's pretty sad considering Toronto's diverse music scene that the best we could come up with is Kanye, Pitbull, and Serena Ryder (born in TO, grew up in Millbrook).

How to make decisions in Toronto: put all ideas, good, bad and horrible, in a hat. Establish a few delays. Pull an idea from the hat. More delays. Reveal decision.

I think the guy who came up with the petiion has been doing the circuit on radio and tv over the last day.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/07/16/anti-kanye-petition-now-at-over-14000-signatures.html

Personally I think his reason for the petition is stupid in that he wants a Canadian act to be the headliner.

zroid

Banned

Willectro

Banned
What's wrong with Kanye? He's an international superstar and will attract a lot of attention. Kinda surprised it's not Drake but Kanye has pull, as does Pitbull.

I'll try to be as objective as possible, as although I know Kanye is a troll for negativity, I personally don't see the "genius", specifically in his music.

For starters, a majority of people don't like rap - something more eclectic would have been more appropriate for this type of event which attracts a diverse audience. Also, I would guess that Kanye's lyrics are every bit as "offensive" as Action Bronson's, so I'm missing the reason why Kanye can play an event like this, but Action can't play some small, shitty music fest.

But having Kanye at an event like this is not about the art or music.

can you imagine how much heat Americans would take if they complained about a non-American performing at some event?

This wouldn't be a problem because Americans would never knowingly allow this to happen. Which again begs the question if there was confusion between Kanye and Drake, lol.

I think the guy who came up with the petiion has been doing the circuit on radio and tv over the last day.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/07/16/anti-kanye-petition-now-at-over-14000-signatures.html

Personally I think his reason for the petition is stupid in that he wants a Canadian act to be the headliner.

I would go a step further than Canadian, as there are literally 1000s of appropriate, world class musicians in Toronto.

Brinbe

I'll try to be as objective as possible, as although I know Kanye is a troll for negativity, I personally don't see the "genius", specifically in his music.

For starters, a majority of people don't like rap - something more eclectic would have been more appropriate for this type of event which attracts a diverse audience. Also, I would guess that Kanye's lyrics are every bit as "offensive" as Action Bronson's, so I'm missing the reason why Kanye can play an event like this, but Action can't play some small, shitty music fest.

But having Kanye at an event like this is not about the art or music.

This wouldn't be a problem because Americans would never knowingly allow this to happen. Which again begs the question if there was confusion between Kanye and Drake, lol.

I would go a step further than Canadian, as there are literally 1000s of appropriate, world class musicians in Toronto.

Talk about talking out of your ass, Jesus. I don't even know where to begin on how awful a post this is.

soultron

Banned
I don't like Kayne as a person (and don't care for his newer material), but I also don't like Drake's music either, but I'll throw my worthless opinion into this: Kayne is unquantifiably more popular than Drake, IMO. Don't forget that we're all trapped in the Canadian distortion field when trying to gauge worldwide perception of Drake. You could whip out album sales data, but having Kayne as a performer at the closing ceremonies probably makes it easier to sell advertising spots since it's going to appeal more, globally, than Drake could.

Sorry not sorry to anyone who has an issue with Kayne. And if people think his material is offensive, he could always play his fun/good stuff from College Dropout OR just perform a collection of Queen's greatest hits.

I'm honestly OK with not puffing Drake's ass by serving this up. Also, it makes for great new fued material between the two of them! Can't wait to see if Kanye writes a line about this on his next terrible album!

TL;DR:
drake-crying.jpg

Kraftwerk

Our shit dollar is really pissing me off. Wanted to buy the new gopro but didn't, since its $100 more over here. Fucking bullshit.

Oh and LOL at people hating on Kanye and the petition. Get a life.

Top Bottom