• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got any reccomendations for reetaurants in Toronto? Preferably not too far (in terms of transit) from Young and Dundas? I asked out a girl in one of my classes, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good place to take her for a first date dinner/movie. I was thinking of Manpuku, but I'm worried that it might be too casual.
Filmore's or Zanzibar.

Quick

Banned
72 charges filed against Toronto UberX drivers as city moves toward regulation

Toronto's Councillors are at it again - making getting around Toronto both more complicated and difficult. I don't have a preference between taxis and Uber, but Toronto has had the opprotunity to improve transit literally since inception, and we rarely take the opportunity - so someone else (Uber) did.

Meanwhile:

Toronto city councillor suggests UberX passengers could be fined up to $20,000 for using ‘bandit taxis

Related:

Uber opponent Jim Karygiannis got campaign donations from taxi industry

Where to even start here? Smh. Toronto's very own Nixon.

Someone thought it was a good idea to fear monger during peak tourist season? lol wtf.

And more lol on "his friend" who so happens to work for the industry!

Willectro

Banned
All I read is that I can buy a councillor for 300 dollars.

Greek politics have never made sense to me.

Filmore's or Zanzibar.

I suggest the all you can eat buffets.

Someone thought it was a good idea to fear monger during peak tourist season? lol wtf.

And more lol on "his friend" who so happens to work for the industry!

Well, as Ford has proven, there is no limit on what the mayor / council can say publicly. But even Ford isn't this stupid. Also, what I don't think Councillor Geezer doesn't understand is, with respect to Uber, tourists are either going to already have the app or not. I doubt being in Toronto will spur them to suddenly start using the service. Publicizing it really helps too, no such thing as bad publicity, etc etc.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Posted in NHL Gaf that I really like the Distillery District. Been good times visiting the city so far. Tomorrow heading to the Island.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Posted in NHL Gaf that I really like the Distillery District. Been good times visiting the city so far. Tomorrow heading to the Island.

Nice, glad you're liking it here. Stay away from Centreville, but rent a bike from the rental place, it's a great way to explore the island

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I thought I lost my wallet. I was freaking out since I have a lot of money in my account right now. And because I would have to say farewell to my beloved red and white health card (and my red and white library card).

Thank god I found it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Holy shit, I thought I lost my wallet. I was freaking out since I have a lot of money in my account right now. And because I would have to say farewell to my beloved red and white health card (and my red and white library card).

Thank god I found it.

Glad you found it!!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My wife's red and white card is in pretty rough shape, but it is probably the single thing she holds most dear in the entire world. The day they come to take it away, it'll be very, very sad.

John Blade

Is anyone going to Summerlicious? I am actually want to try one of the restaurant in the list sometime next week for lunch and wondering which I should go to. I am interested in french food and wondering if anyone know a good restaurant to try it out.

Divvy

Is anyone going to Summerlicious? I am actually want to try one of the restaurant in the list sometime next week for lunch and wondering which I should go to. I am interested in french food and wondering if anyone know a good restaurant to try it out.

Summerlicious is pretty hit or miss, since some restaurants will just half ass it and give you a cheap and shitty dining experience. Trick is to goto restaurants that are well-known enough that they can't risk treating anyone poorly. For French food, safe bets are Splendido or Auberge du Pommier. North 44 is probably fine since it's Mark McEwan's restaurant, but I haven't been.

I'll be quite happy when those red and white cards no longer exist

Nope, crack down on fraud

disgusting opinion

jokkir

Summerlicious is pretty hit or miss, since some restaurants will just half ass it and give you a cheap and shitty dining experience. Trick is to goto restaurants that are well-known enough that they can't risk treating anyone poorly. For French food, safe bets are Splendido or Auberge du Pommier. North 44 is probably fine since it's Mark McEwan's restaurant, but I haven't been.

disgusting opinion

Which restaurants would you recommend? Was thinking of just going to Momofuku since that's one of the few I know and maybe Canoe

Divvy

Which restaurants would you recommend? Was thinking of just going to Momofuku since that's one of the few I know and maybe Canoe

I don't know about availability since I don't know the licious schedule, but browsing the list: Auberge, Canoe, Lee's, North 44, 7 Numbers ( although 7 Numbers is not very expensive in the first place, so I don't know why you would need to go there for licious), Bent, Blu, Bymark, Momofuku Daisho, Pangaea, Splendidio, Trevor are probably okay. You'll still probably get worse service than if you just went regularily, but your food will probably be good.

Honestly licious is kind of a scam

Bikers are just as bad as drivers in this city.

Two went through a red light this morning literally while I was walking across the intersection. I wasn't going to stop in the road for them.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bikers are just as bad as drivers in this city.

Two went through a red light this morning literally while I was walking across the intersection. I wasn't going to stop in the road for them.

why would any biker run a red light when any car could easily hit them? That's suicidal

Willectro

Banned
I don't know about availability since I don't know the licious schedule, but browsing the list: Auberge, Canoe, Lee's, North 44, 7 Numbers ( although 7 Numbers is not very expensive in the first place, so I don't know why you would need to go there for licious), Bent, Blu, Bymark, Momofuku Daisho, Pangaea, Splendidio, Trevor are probably okay. You'll still probably get worse service than if you just went regularily, but your food will probably be good.

Honestly licious is kind of a scam

Went to Auberge for Winterlicious a year or 2 ago and thought it was great. But as others have stated this seems to be one of the few exceptions. Some restaurants make it pretty clear that they aren't all that interested, but I've often wondered why they sign up. A lot of (Toronto) businesses seem to struggle with deals.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
why would any biker run a red light when any car could easily hit them? That's suicidal
Their thinking is it's easy to see a car coming and they can judge if they'll make it or not and act accordingly. The problem is they don't look for pedestrians they're about to hit while doing so.

Three way intersection.

I can deal with the fact that they don't have to worry about the fact that any traffic is going to hit them but pedestrians are still crossing. At least let them pass before you try to run right through them.

explodet

They do it all the time on the new Queen's Quay cycling right-of-way. It's a pedestrian's worst nightmare.
Especially if the pedestrians are strolling through red lights themselves. Not to mention standing on the bike lanes or walking in the middle of the streetcar tracks.

You gotta be so careful at some of those new intersections, and there are careless people on all sides - cars, bikes, and pedestrians.

I haven't posted on GAF in about a year, and rarely browsed - but happy to see nothing has changed and we still got the regular suspects (asians) in here complaining about weather, burgers, and Korean BBQ. I have returned to aid Team Summer back to glory.

I have been out of the loop on anything Toronto for this past year as I moved to South America (coming back to visit in a few weeks) so if there is anything important I have missed please let me know. I assume the Leafs still suck (and Phil Kessel fat) and Ford is still a crackhead? (And fat)

Divvy

Went to Auberge for Winterlicious a year or 2 ago and thought it was great. But as others have stated this seems to be one of the few exceptions. Some restaurants make it pretty clear that they aren't all that interested, but I've often wondered why they sign up. A lot of (Toronto) businesses seem to struggle with deals.

It's because Licious happens during the lower points of the restaurant business, especially Winterlicious. If you aren't part of Licious during it, you're going to get even lower business since everyone will be going to those restaurants. As for the higher calibre restaurants, they're pretty much forced to participate because of their prestige. They probably get bribed by Licious to make it look good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BTW EM, gimme the deets for the TOGAF IRC channel yo

I know you guys to join in too

Apparently our last holdouts left quite a while ago because the room was unregistered.

But it's up again, feel free to join.

bbjwKZf.png

What the fuck, this exists?

I think it was OT2, I spammed the thread with it for months. In the end, whenever I'd go back to check it, it was (I believe) firehawk and Stet, just sitting there, forever in silence.

What Japanese people think about Canada/Canadians ?

https://youtu.be/kWFWmOhGFcQ

Another one as well. But lacking in the production value of a Rachel and Jun sort of channel, of course.

It's obvious, but sad, that Bieber is the most well known person from Canada. I'm not sure if it's good, or it's bad that people don't know who Harper is.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently our last holdouts left quite a while ago because the room was unregistered.

But it's up again, feel free to join.

I think it was OT2, I spammed the thread with it for months. In the end, whenever I'd go back to check it, it was (I believe) firehawk and Stet, just sitting there, forever in silence.

Another one as well. But lacking in the production value of a Rachel and Jun sort of channel, of course.

It's obvious, but sad, that Bieber is the most well known person from Canada. I'm not sure if it's good, or it's bad that people don't know who Harper is.
No wonder Firehawk can't finish his goddamn PhD.

Harper is Canada's Bush equivalent, no?

Divvy

John Tory today:

“I won’t say that I spend every single night at home listening to his music, but, you know what, I’m smart enough to know that a lot of people do,” Tory told CityNews reporter Cynthia Mulligan when asked he was a Kanye fan. “And I’m smart enough to know that he’s a proud product of our music industry here, as are a number of others.”

zeitgeist

I honestly thought that nothing would ever get me to consider seeing a Pan Am event but now that Yeezy season approaches I might have to grab a ticket.

Top Bottom