• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Seems a bit shortsighted, no?

Once the novelty of Uncle Tetsu's wears off, they'll be stuck with (means of) supply outrunning lowering demand.

That's what I thought, but I'd thought demand would have died off by now so knows.

soultron

Banned
I'm surprised it hasn't worn off already.
I feel like Pan Am tourists are spiking demand artificiality in the short term, currently. They're all over the Eaton Centre right now, UT isn't a far walk from there.

Random question: does anyone know of places in TO where you can learn woodworking and practise the craft (mainly using tools) outside of your own home? I rent and don't have a shop/garage but want to do some DIY carpentry but
A) don't have the space to hold tools or work
B) know how to do any woodworking

What's a wannabe handyman gonna do?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like Pan Am tourists are spiking demand artificiality in the short term, currently. They're all over the Eaton Centre right now, UT isn't a far walk from there.

Random question: does anyone know of places in TO where you can learn woodworking and practise the craft (mainly using tools) outside of your own home? I rent and don't have a shop/garage but want to do some DIY carpentry but

http://torontotoollibrary.com/makerspace/

Don't know if there are lessons, but it's a makerspace. There are a few of them. Can be pricey though, depending on how serious you are about the hobby of course. (The alternative being buying your own tools lol)

Sober

Move to the burbs and use your garage :p

I think it's just stuff you have to learn on your own or whatever. Didn't take shop back in school (or have one?) Probably have to check if any community centres in your area offer classes or stuff.

If you're planning on making chairs and tables or whatever then you're out of luck unless you maybe just be gross and buy a storage locker as your workshop. I say this because I really don't think you'll find even a Home Depot/Rona close by, or at least one with a (good) lumber section.

Where in Richmond Hill?
Can't remember exactly but in the Hwy7 Leslie to Yonge Areas, there's a bunch of malls there with bakeries. My dad used to buy a fuckton of Japanese Cheescakes, some like almost twice the size as the Uncle Tetsu stuff for about the same price.

IIRC maybe some bakery called Don Don Bakery in the area? Try looking for that I think. Not sure if they make cheesecakes anymore as my dad stopped getting them (or maybe we just stopped eating them). We still get our celebratory cakes there though.

zroid

Banned
Anyone catch the men's baseball final last night? that was ridiculous :lol

since I couldn't get tickets for men's baseball, I might go check out the women's on Friday.

Quick

Banned
Can't remember exactly but in the Hwy7 Leslie to Yonge Areas, there's a bunch of malls there with bakeries. My dad used to buy a fuckton of Japanese Cheescakes, some like almost twice the size as the Uncle Tetsu stuff for about the same price.

IIRC maybe some bakery called Don Don Bakery in the area? Try looking for that I think. Not sure if they make cheesecakes anymore as my dad stopped getting them (or maybe we just stopped eating them). We still get our celebratory cakes there though.

Would it be Dong Dong Pastries?

Because I wanna see what the hype is with this Japanese cheesecake thing without having to go downtown and line up two hours for it.

Sober

Yeah I think that's it. Again, disclaimer but I don't personally know if they make Japanese cheesecake there anymore but you are welcome to see for yourself.

Some people take time off work in summer to enjoy the weather. I take time off in summer so I can stay at home.

O25CSNt.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
See, the transit system has improved already.
Did they ever replace the section of the Yonge line between Eglinton and St Clair that's supposed to shut it down for two months? I could've sworn they were waiting until after Pan Am but I guess it won't be this year either.

In some really bad news, I got a call yesterday that my glorious Summer of Fuzzy is over. I went back to work today. :(

Roto13

Did they ever replace the section of the Yonge line between Eglinton and St Clair that's supposed to shut it down for two months? I could've sworn they were waiting until after Pan Am but I guess it won't be this year either.

In some really bad news, I got a call yesterday that my glorious Summer of Fuzzy is over. I went back to work today. :(
In this.
Which I still haven't experienced because I'm in Newfoundland for another week.

Divvy

No, Davisville is still slowly sinking into the ground

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I went to work looking for work.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

So.. no more of this..

tWRN4I4.gif

Well, at least you'll be able to dry those tears with something.

M3asNgl.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a theater in Toronto that shows recently released Chinese (Korean/Japanese) films? The Bollywood one is still in business so I'm surprised no theater has been resurrected to take advantage of the growing Chinese film industry

explodet

Is there a theater in Toronto that shows recently released Chinese (Korean/Japanese) films? The Bollywood one is still in business so I'm surprised no theater has been resurrected to take advantage of the growing Chinese film industry
I think the Yonge/Dundas Cineplex shows Asian language films.

Looks like they're showing Forever Young (Zhi zi hua kai) and Northern Limit Line (N.L.L: Yeonpyeong Haejeon).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't enjoyed an Asian movies in probably about a decade, which sucks because I grew up on HK movies and there are some excellent Korean ones and older Japanese ones.

:'(

The golden era of HK movies is while Jackie Chan is doing Rush Hour movies in Hollywood? Junior Mint, you're insane.

Other than Supercop, never really cared for Jackie Chan movies.

But we should bring that up to early-90s cause I forgot Hard Boiled and Once Upon a Time in China 2 were 1992 movies.

I just love the mid-90s - early-00s because we got really good stuff like Infernal Affairs, In the Mood for Love (the better version of Lost in Translation!), Running Out of Time,
Young and Dangerous
, among others.

Then again, I probably have different tastes than most HKers since I really hate Stephen Chow movies whereas they seem to be universally loved by everyone else.

elty

So what we need is for the Pan Am games to be made permanent, until we can upgrade to the Olympics and then we make the Olympics permanent.
If having Olympics means a real subway/light rail system, then I am fully for it even if it will cost billions.

On the side note, went to two events so far and it is pretty good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Is there still a theater up at the PacMall area?
No. The one there is gone.
Other than Supercop, never really cared for Jackie Chan movies.

But we should bring that up to early-90s cause I forgot Hard Boiled and Once Upon a Time in China 2 were 1992 movies.

I just love the mid-90s - early-00s because we got really good stuff like Infernal Affairs, In the Mood for Love (the better version of Lost in Translation!), Running Out of Time,
Young and Dangerous
, among others.

Then again, I probably have different tastes than most HKers since I really hate Stephen Chow movies whereas they seem to be universally loved by everyone else.

Somewhat hates Stephen Chow?! D:

I...what is this...I don't even...

John Blade

Just went out to Marcel's Bistro this afternoon. This was actually my 1st time trying out Summerlicious and also the 1st time trying french cuisine so, my expectation wasn't too high to start. If you guys have a much better place to try french food, do post some and I will see if I can try out those restaurant.

Well, it's photo time of my trip to my lunch because who care?(taken by my cell phone Moto G....so it look suck).

Well...manage to find the restaurant when I get there.

Quickly found out it's in 2nd floor of the building.

Very quiet when I get into the restaurant. They was only one customer who was there when I went in. Still, it was 1:30pm so, I am guessing the lunch people have already left by now. Still, a bit worry.

Manage to get the window seat by myself. Nice flower and also see the Tiff building across the street.

Bread with a slap of butter and a glass of Rosé d’Anjou 2013
Yeah...it's standard bread with a slap of butter....nothing special. The Rosé d’Anjou taste fine.

Smoke salmon and cream cheese mousse with fresh herbs wrapped in crepe
Actually liking the taste and texture from this. Wish they is more to tell the truth.

Grilled beef flank steak served with roasted potatoes and vegetables with béarnaise sauce.
Mine was medium cook. It's fine but they're more fat than meat in this steak. Wishthis is a bigger portion to tell the truth and have less fat.

Baba au Rum cake with whipping cream and mixed berry coulis

A cup of coffee to end the meal.

Really, it's a decent meal and it rake up around $34.00 minus the tip. Kinda wish it's a bigger portion but I guess this is Summerlicious and you don't expect to have a big meal at that price. Don't know if I will go back but I guess will go back to try out they normal dinner menu if I ever go back there.

Divvy

Would it be Dong Dong Pastries?

Because I wanna see what the hype is with this Japanese cheesecake thing without having to go downtown and line up two hours for it.

Yeah I think that's it. Again, disclaimer but I don't personally know if they make Japanese cheesecake there anymore but you are welcome to see for yourself.

I went there today and they do have the cheesecake, but it was not very good in comparison to Uncle Tetsu's

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, maybe it's gotten shittier or UT is just that good.

Well, it can't be worse than T&T cheesecake.
Cheesecake wars.

I don't think UT is mindblowingly 1-2 hour wait worthy.

Reminder that the meet up is this Friday and Campino and his ringer are going to spare us :D

Blackhead

Redarse
Just went out to Marcel's Bistro this afternoon. This was actually my 1st time trying out Summerlicious and also the 1st time trying french cuisine so...

I need to move downtown; I miss out on so much. Although all that gorging on all rich food would give me a heart attack. Nice avatar by the way, great manga.

Cheesecake wars.

I don't think UT is mindblowingly 1-2 hour wait worthy.

Reminder that the meet up is this Friday and Campino and his ringer are going to spare us :D
Aside from the ringer being well back in her homeland by now, I will spare you, haha. Fridays are hard to do when I work.

Top Bottom