• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis 2 |OT| Will Lightning Strike Twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnt

I heard that Harley Davidson is basically bankrupt but are able to ship motorcycles because they threaten businesses that if they don't take them, they won't allow them to sell Harley Davidsons

King326

I heard that Harley Davidson is basically bankrupt but are able to ship motorcycles because they threaten businesses that if they don't take them, they won't allow them to sell Harley Davidsons

WHAT.

Even if the ref didn't stop Barnett, he would have hit him at least 10 times.

Especially with HWs.

How many of you Bang Bros took a shot in the face from a 250lbs man before?

LOL

edit: wow that came out wrong.

sunny-notgaysex.jpg

You want to watch Kongo v. Barry and rethink that? MMA has never been about quick stoppages like Boxing because recovery can happen and dudes have buckled and come back many times.

So lets let guys eat meaningless shots to the head because of the 1 in a million fight that was Kongo v Barry? Mir didn't get buckled. He went limp. His arms went limp. That's what refs look for. If his arms are limp he can't use them to defend himself.

In this case, the only reason Mir "recovered" was because the ref stepped in before Barnett could give him a few more shots.

And MMA is much more about quick stoppages than boxing ever was.

iddqd

Yeah, Barnett vs Big Country would be nice.
Who is Country fighting next? Werdum? Werdum vs. Barnett would be pretty sweet too.

Formless

Kind of like the Fedor/Hendo stoppage. Could go either way, the ref just sees one guy goes limp and quickly takes action. They wake up really fast.

So lets let guys eat meaningless shots to the head because of the 1 in a million fight that was Kongo v Barry? Mir didn't get buckled. He went limp. His arms went limp. That's what refs look for. If his arms are limp he can't use them to defend himself.

In this case, the only reason Mir "recovered" was because the ref stepped in before Barnett could give him a few more shots.

And MMA is much more about quick stoppages than boxing ever was.

Be real man. Lots of dudes letting eat more shots with their hands ups than ehat Mir ate on the way down. That stop was due to the ref seeing him take a lot of hits and predicting the end but that REGULARLY gets flipped in MMA. Miller v. Healy, Reem v. Browne, Reem v. Bigfoot, off the top of my head.

I'm not down for exessive punishment at all.. but Rothwell didn't even have a chance to follow up on a guy who was conscious. It was fast.

Be real man. Lots of dudes letting eat more shots with their hands ups than ehat Mir ate on the way down. That stop was due to the ref seeing him take a lot of hits and predicting the end but that REGULARLY gets flipped in MMA. Miller v. Healy, Reem v. Browne, Reem v. Bigfoot, off the top of my head.

I'm not down for exessive punishment at all.. but Rothwell didn't even have a chance to follow up on a guy who was conscious. It was fast.

That stop was due to Mir going limp. That's it. Once that happens it's a wrap. The ref can't make a split second judgement call on a fighter's individual ability to recover quickly. They are there to protect the fighters from taking unnecessary punishment.

Any scenario of a guy taking punishment, taking body shots, taking a ton of strikes, is irrelevant because refs will let those go on as long as a fighter doesn't go limp the way Mir did, because going limp means you can't defend yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom