• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

jmizzal

Mario Kart 8 is selling great WiiU has improved a lot and Nintendo is gonna sit around and let a huge drought happen after the release in NA and Europe

At least Japan get Hyrule Warriors in early Aug, then Fatal Frame WiiU in Sept leading into the Fall,

Over here nothing is releasing until late Sept when Hyrule warriors comes out, they should have had at least a HD upgrade ready for Aug. Kid Icarus Luigi Mansion or something

Riki

Mario Kart 8 is selling great WiiU has improved a lot and Nintendo is gonna sit around and let a huge drought happen after the release in NA and Europe

At least Japan get Hyrule Warriors in early Aug, then Fatal Frame WiiU in Sept leading into the Fall,

Over here nothing is releasing until late Sept when Hyrule warriors comes out, they should have had at least a HD upgrade ready for Aug. Kid Icarus Luigi Mansion or something

As I said in the NPD thread, it's a shame Nintendo and most publishers ignore nearly half the year for releases.
They put way too much out at the end of the year instead of spreading things out properly.

Shizuka

As I said in the NPD thread, it's a shame Nintendo and most publishers ignore nearly half the year for releases.
They put way too much out at the end of the year instead of spreading things out properly.

Honestly, Nintendo just tries to milk the holiday season too much. They learned in the past that other times of the year are great as well, like every beginning of the year with a JRPG.

jmizzal

I think next year will have a bigger spread of games if all those 2015 games at E3 come out on time, but huge missed opportunity not to have a HD upgrade outsourced ready for this year

Riki

I think next year will have a bigger spread of games if all those 2015 games at E3 come out on time, but huge missed opportunity not to have a HD upgrade outsourced ready for this year
They might make up for that next year by having multiple HD Remasters.
That's my thought, anyway.
As good as this year is for WiiU, next year seems so much better already.

Shizuka

I'm sure more HD remasters of highly-praised games like Xenoblade and Super Mario Galaxy would've helped, but Nintendo must be saving those for the end of the generation.

Josh5890

I'm sure more HD remasters of highly-praised games like Xenoblade and Super Mario Galaxy would've helped, but Nintendo must be saving those for the end of the generation.

I would venture to say that Gamecube games will see HD remakes before Wii games. I'll take either though if I haven't played through them yet (unless Wii remakes get rid of motion controls).

jmizzal

I would venture to say that Gamecube games will see HD remakes before Wii games. I'll take either though if I haven't played through them yet (unless Wii remakes get rid of motion controls).

With the Gamecube adapter releasing with Smash Bros you make a good point

Shizuka

Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine and F-Zero GX are the only ones left, judging from the top-rated GC games left.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, this is what gets me. For Japan as you said it's not TOO horrible, but for the west, it's almost four months of absolutely nothing (other than Wii Sports Club retail). Definite squandered chance at maintaining some of the positive momentum from MK8.

DedValve

Banned
It really is a shame that the momentum Mario Kart 8 started is being thwarted. Here's at least hoping for an early Bayonetta release.

tebunker

Banned
I would love to be the fly on the wall at NOA because they obviously know there is a drought and they clearly know the reasons behind it. I doubt it has anything to do with them sitting on their thumbs.

I know that localization takes time but you would think they would have added staff to smooth out the releases

Hmm... I think just maybe this embracing and reintroduction of the Gamecube controller could be a sign of Gamecube virtual console coming. It feels like its more than just for Smash Bros now.

This would be the best move. Get Capcom support. RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7. F-Zero GX. Would help hype a new F-zero as well.

Pollux

Dumb question, but in the post with "recommendations"...If it says 'off TV' does that mean I can play the game on my WiiU gamepad without the TV?

I'm only asking because I didn't know things like the Arkham games or some of the other games in that post were able to be played like that...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I actually think that Nintendo is thinking of creating momentum from the end of 2014 (starting in September) into 2015 (where they have a ton of games to release). That's just my thought tho

prag16

Banned
Dumb question, but in the post with "recommendations"...If it says 'off TV' does that mean I can play the game on my WiiU gamepad without the TV?

I'm only asking because I didn't know things like the Arkham games or some of the other games in that post were able to be played like that...

Yes.

tebunker

Banned
I actually think that Nintendo is thinking of creating momentum from the end of 2014 (starting in September) into 2015 (where they have a ton of games to release). That's just my thought tho
Which is possible and to be honest it can take a while to get stuff translated and set up the marketing an channels.

However they should have planned for this last year. It is ridiculous to be in a second year of a system with months without games. Especially when they have the VC and could have lined up more hd remakes.

This is problem that was caused when they cut ties with a lot of western devs.

Riki

I would love to be the fly on the wall at NOA because they obviously know there is a drought and they clearly know the reasons behind it. I doubt it has anything to do with them sitting on their thumbs.

I know that localization takes time but you would think they would have added staff to smooth out the releases
For what, though? What games need translation and could be released last month and this month that aren't?

prag16

Banned
However they should have planned for this last year. It is ridiculous to be in a second year of a system with months without games. Especially when they have the VC and could have lined up more hd remakes.

Ramping up N64 VC plus a couple gamecube HD remasters could have definitely been helpful. But alas..

Pollux

Interesting.

I'm considering getting one of the Batman games or Mass Effect 3.

Can't make up my mind. I've played ME3 multiple times, but how about the Batman games...which one is better? Which one performs better on the WiiU?

prag16

Banned
With sales picking up in the wake of MK8, it has me revisiting the question of 3rd party support (or lack thereof) moving forward. 140k is still not great by any means. But if any of that momentum can be retained, I wonder if it will sway any 3rd parties at all.

Will Activision confirm this year's CoD?
Will Ubisoft dust off the allegedly completed game they have on the shelf?
Will EA shit out some "Legacy" sports titles?
Will anybody else take any notice at all?

Not really optimistic on any of the above at this point. Too much damage was done in 2013. Though I think Activision may have another CoD left in them. They still are supplying their licensed crap and their shovelware, so maybe they haven't left completely.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
With sales picking up in the wake of MK8, it has me revisiting the question of 3rd party support (or lack thereof) moving forward. 140k is still not great by any means. But if any of that momentum can be retained, I wonder if it will sway any 3rd parties at all.

Not really optimistic on any of the above at this point. Too much damage was done in 2013. Though I think Activision may have another CoD left in them. They still are supplying their licensed crap and their shovelware, so maybe they haven't left completely.

Well I think it depends on the sales of third party titles this holiday season. CoD is the only one they may try this year imo, since Activision seems ok with supporting the Wii U to some extent. The fact is even with the current install base, third party titles generally sold fairly terribly. If all boats start rising thanks to MK8 and overall 1st party sales increase, maybe Nintendo can make the argument that the third party sales will be higher. I expect support to come in 2015 if that were to happen. Also the MK8 bundle from what I've heard was out of stock. If that's the case, maybe they can hold off a huge decline in July.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've got an Xbox One along with a year of Gold right now so I'll probably be playing CoD on a non Nintendo System for the first time. I think a third of my time playing the last two games were couch multiplayer with the separate screens though, going to miss that.

tebunker

Banned
For what, though? What games need translation and could be released last month and this month that aren't?

To be honest I am not sure but having concurrent announcements of upcoming games and translating things faster etc. think how much nicer it would be to know that something like DQ X could be out this summer. I am not the kind of person who believes that one game changes anything and I feel like they should have been going for as much depth as possible in all territories.

The real issue is that the majority of the development takes place in Japan and they are supporting two systems. This limits how much they really can do.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I think COD is still possible with or without big sales. There seems to be quite a good relation between Nintendo and Activision (they talked about special Amiibo/NFC feature for the next Skylanders if I remember correctly).

As for the rest, I think there would be nothing started until they get some example of third party games selling decently. Which is a catch 22. But that's that. Maybe if Watch_Dogs port sells according to expectations (which probably are not big, being a late port).
I still think Nintendo biggest lack right now is the Sports genre and they lose a big opportunity if they don't do something in that area. Maybe a Mario Strikers selling well will encourage EA to try something.

Riki

In order:

98% likely
0% and no one cares. The game would be shit anyway.
0% and again, no one cares.
100% chance that we will see some improved third party support, it just won't be anything people care about
To be honest I am not sure but having concurrent announcements of upcoming games and translating things faster etc. think how much nicer it would be to know that something like DQ X could be out this summer. I am not the kind of person who believes that one game changes anything and I feel like they should have been going for as much depth as possible in all territories.

The real issue is that the majority of the development takes place in Japan and they are supporting two systems. This limits how much they really can do.

A game like DQX is completely up to SquareEnix, though. Nintendo has no say in this matter.
There are so few WiiU games that haven't reached the west. The only notable one being the Yakuza bundle.

Roo

Interesting.

Can't make up my mind. I've played ME3 multiple times, but how about the Batman games...which one is better? Which one performs better on the WiiU?

Eh, both have some noticeable frame drops here and there but I found Arkham City more enjoyable than Origins

ozfunghi

Interesting.

If you've played ME3 multiple times, what's the point? Seriously, i've ut in about 30 hours, and i think it's a bit of a turd really. Enjoyed Batman AC, currently enjoying Splinter Cell, though the loading times are insane (luckily only initially, restarting a mission goes much faster). Best 3rd party game so far is Deus Ex though, by far my favorite. Never played it off-tv though. And Splinter Cell is very enjoyable on the gamepad.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Splinter Cell and Deus EX are dirt cheap on amazon right now and highly recommended. Batman AC is definitely the better of the two Batman games. Also, given how many new Wii owners there are on the last 5 weeks, I suspect a lot of old games may be pushed back on shelves.

DizzyCrow

OP should be updated because Project Cars will be released in 2015, also I'm interested in Darksiders 2 but it is not listed in the recommendations, is it a bad port? There are few reviews for the Wii U version, none from sites I trust.

nordique

OP should be updated because Project Cars will be released in 2015, also I'm interested in Darksiders 2 but it is not listed in the recommendations, is it a bad port? There are few reviews for the Wii U version, none from sites I trust.

Everyone has their opinions of that game, from my perspective it was boring, convoluted (one gigantic series of mundane fetch quests) and too many frame rate issues for my liking. I don't think it was a terrible port but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, on any platform, personally

On the other hand some people really enjoyed the game for how long it is, the action and puzzles, and the art direction.

I just thought it was one of those games with high ambitions but poorly executed in every regard, and way too long for my attention span

My belief on this game is ones time could be better spent elsewhere, but it should also be cheap enough that if you're looking for something to play why not give it a go and judge for yourself whether it clicks with you or doesn't

Deku Tree

I really hope the Toad game doesn't get delayed to Feb 2015 or something like that... But it feels like Nintendo has too many 1st party games announced for the Holiday IMO.

maxcriden

I really hope the Toad game doesn't get delayed to Feb 2015 or something like that... But it feels like Nintendo has too many 1st party games announced for the Holiday IMO.

Oh no, why would you think that? I don't think they will. I hope not at least. It's their only platformer-esque release and family-friendliest game for the holiday season so I hope it comes out this year.

Y0j1mb0

fatal3offq.png

Gimme that now.

Some Nobody

I wouldn't really worry about it. Last year stuff got delayed (to this year) because their release schedule was so sparse that they had to move completed games around just so they could have a game per quarter.

What Nintendo has unveiled for the remainder of 2014 and part of 2015 is a first party slate even Sony or Microsoft would be proud of (at least in terms of numbers), so there's no real reason to push a game back so long as things remain on schedule. It's pretty much full speed ahead.

ozfunghi

Everyone has their opinions of that game, from my perspective it was boring, convoluted (one gigantic series of mundane fetch quests) and too many frame rate issues for my liking. I don't think it was a terrible port but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, on any platform, personally

On the other hand some people really enjoyed the game for how long it is, the action and puzzles, and the art direction.

I just thought it was one of those games with high ambitions but poorly executed in every regard, and way too long for my attention span

My belief on this game is ones time could be better spent elsewhere, but it should also be cheap enough that if you're looking for something to play why not give it a go and judge for yourself whether it clicks with you or doesn't

The problem with the recommendations section, is that it's not very consistent. I'm currently playing SC Blacklist and i'm actually enjoying it. The port has zero torn frames, as opposed to over 20% on the other consoles. Framerate is about the same as 360, but little below PS3. According to lens of truth, it's the best console version... yet it isn't in the recommendations section. But COD Ghosts and AssCreed III are... So who is recommending those games? If it's a general Wii U community recommendation, i think we need to reconsider that list. If it's recommended by one or two people, maybe the OP should clarify that.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The problem with the recommendations section, is that it's not very consistent. I'm currently playing SC Blacklist and i'm actually enjoying it. The port has zero torn frames, as opposed to over 20% on the other consoles. Framerate is about the same as 360, but little below PS3. According to lens of truth, it's the best console version... yet it isn't in the recommendations section. But COD Ghosts and AssCreed III are... So who is recommending those games? If it's a general Wii U community recommendation, i think we need to reconsider that list. If it's recommended by one or two people, maybe the OP should clarify that.

By the way, I thought AC3 was known be a very good port. I remember Digital Foundry sang praises about that port at the very least.

Gartooth

I too think we may see a delay for Captain Toad. Now this wouldn't be because the game wouldn't be completed on time, but rather due to Nintendo trying to stagger releases.

Last fall we saw Super Mario 3D World and DKC: Tropical Freeze lined up together in the holiday. Originally DKC was the big November game with Mario coming in December, but that changed as both games originally switched months, and then DKC was later pushed to February. Nintendo stated that this was so that DKC had more time in development... but I think it is obvious that the game was delayed firstly because it would prevent sales from being cannibalized between it and 3DW, and also because without its delay there wouldn't have otherwise been a major Wii U release for nearly half a year until MK8 on May 31st.

Given that there are a few Wii U titles with "early 2015" release dates such as Yoshi and Splatoon, I don't think a Toad delay will happen. If it does though, it will probably be to prevent Smash Bros. from killing its sales and give the game more time to breath.

ozfunghi

By the way, I thought AC3 was known be a very good port. I remember Digital Foundry sang praises about that port at the very least.

But what are we talking about? Good ports, or good games, or a combination of the two? I've finished AC3 and i'm close to finishing SC:B and i'll recommend the latter game over the former any day of the week. I know a lot of people enjoyed Tekken on the Wii U, but it isn't included in the recommendations, because it's supposedly an inferior port. It does have exclusive Nintendo costumes and is still very enjoyable, even if the resolution is a bit worse than on the other platforms.

Tbh, the recommendations list seems to include every game that isn't terrible haha.

Well, that clearly is not the case, as i already mentioned two games that are not in the list, that are far from terrible.

Roo

I would say the recommendation list is based on how popular and/or good a game is.
Then you see the likes of Resident Evil, Mass Effect and Need for Speed and you realize that's not estrictly the case.

prag16

Banned
I would say the recommendation list is based on how popular and/or good a game is.
Then you see the likes of Resident Evil, Mass Effect and Need for Speed and you realize that's not estrictly the case.

Mass Effect 3 is my 2012 game of the year, and while it didn't really click with me Need for Speed is objectively a well put together game. So what are you getting at? o_O

Unless you mean that those three games had poor sales on Wii U, making them "unpopular", but if that's the measuring stick, then several more games (if not the majority of the list) ought to be axed...

Mass Effect 3 is a fine game in its own right and the port was pretty well-done. My only issue with its inclusion is the existence of Mass Effect Collection. We should have gotten a port of that.

Top Bottom