• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Dario ff

Banned
I'm an idiot, I admit it -- if they sped up the video so it appeared to have 60 fps, and we're getting chipmunk voices, then why isn't Batman teleporting around the room like Nightcrawler again?

Do they then slow it down again?? But why would the chipmunk voices remain??? How does this devious shit work???
If your game features a way to slow down / speed up time (Be it a mechanic or just a feature) then you can certainly do this rather easily. I've done it myself to record 240 FPS footage out of 60 FPS games in the past. The problem is sound playback is not normally slowed down when using features like that sometimes. Sometimes they just play the sounds at regular speed instead while the game itself is slowed down. (Which is why I removed the sound out of my 240 FPS recordings)

There could be many other reasons than this instead since getting the higher FPS was just an INI tweak but anything goes at this point I guess. :p

Flavius

Remember the first showing of Killzone 2 and The Last Guardian? Those where both shown with sped up videos, if you have the tool kits you can do a lot of stuff to fake what people see.

I don't know, man. It sucks that the game isn't running as it should, but this sounds like some pretty crazy scheming all for the sake of baiting a bunch of people who clearly pay very careful attention to this stuff. If I twirled my moustache all sinister like that, I'd be doing it to the masses, not the tech-savvy folks dropping several hundred dollars on video cards.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Maybe they didn't add voices correctly in that build. I don't believe that Nvidia would do that honestly.

Chariot

I think there is just something wrong with the sounds, I slowed the video down to 50% and they still sound like Chipmunks. Unless it's not how this works.

Gaming sites should do more than advertise games for publishers. We need these sites to actually do some investigative journalism and get to the bottom of what happened.
Someone needs to be held accountable for this disaster, otherwise these fraudulent business decisions will keep happening...

Valve should help resolve these types of problems by doing more than offering refunds.

We need a "Better Business Bureau" type complaint system for digital goods sold in their storefront.
A clear response of wrong doing from the developers and a clear plan of action to resolve such issues

The history in favor of such a system:
- Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
- SimCity Launch
- Batman Arkham Knight Launch
(basically any gaming product that clearly failed to perform properly for the overwhelming majority of customers)

I don't know, man. It sucks that the game isn't running as it should, but this sounds like some pretty crazy scheming all for the sake of baiting a bunch of people who clearly pay very careful attention to this stuff. If I twirled my moustache all sinister like that, I'd be doing it to the masses, not the tech-savvy folks dropping several hundred dollars on video cards.

Well either way PC gamers were baited. We were shown effects that aren't in the game.

That said I agree I don't think its sped up

Sullichin

Gaming sites should do more than advertise games for publishers. We need these sites to actually do some investigative journalism and get to the bottom of what happened.
Someone needs to be held accountable for this disaster, otherwise these fraudulent business decisions will keep happening...

Valve should help resolve these types of problems by doing more than offering refunds.

We need a "Better Business Bureau" type complaint system for digital goods sold in their storefront.
A clear response of wrong doing from the developers and a clear plan of action to resolve such issues

The history in favor of such a system:
- Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
- SimCity Launch
- Batman Arkham Knight Launch
(basically any gaming product that clearly failed to perform properly for the overwhelming majority of customers)

You can report the game as broken, and refund it and get your money back. Not sure what else you think its necessary after reading your post

jett

D-Member
Maybe they didn't add voices correctly in that build. I don't believe that Nvidia would do that honestly.

Nvidia the company of 3.5GB, that abandons Kepler users and uses shady practices so that games run worse on AMD? Yeah, they would never do anything like that.

Skyzard

Banned
The few nice things. Steam refunds and a 2:1 negative to positive reviews. GMG claiming to support refunds IF the first patch isn't a miracle.

Mattenth

I'm an idiot, I admit it -- if they sped up the video so it appeared to have 60 fps, and we're getting chipmunk voices, then why isn't Batman teleporting around the room like Nightcrawler again?

Do they then slow it down again?? But why would the chipmunk voices remain??? How does this devious shit work???

Well, for starters, every Nvidia promotional video is going to be adjusted. It's weird that people have ever trusted Nvidia to be showing raw gameplay footage. That's like assuming car commercials have 0 post-processing (spoilers: they do).

Most games in development have a build version where they're frame-locked, which means that the game will assume that n time has passed each time it's loading a frame (rather than looking at the actual system clock). If n=1/30th, then you end up with 30 frames that are meant to show 1 second of actual game time. If n=1/60th, then you end up with 60 frames that are meant to show 1 second of actual game time. Normally, when playing a game that hitches for 2 seconds, 2 seconds of "time" still pass in the game world.

In essence, you're rendering each frame individually, saving it, and then moving forward, regardless of how long it actually takes. (The primary reason for this is not promo videos, but so that you can more quickly debug visual issues by stepping through frame by frame). The problem is that audio doesn't follow this pattern. You can't take audio meant for 1/30th of a second and make it sound ok played over two cuts of 1/60th of a second. Another way to think of it is that audio is always playing at a fixed rate. Watch Dogs had a lot of performance problems, but even when the game hitched, the audio would still be going. So while the frame rate may vary, the audio's playback speed doesn't.

As an example of why it fails in the video: let's say you're recording 10 seconds of content. The audio clips for that time are 10 seconds long. But your system is bad, and so rendering all the frames for those 10 seconds actually takes 20 seconds. So the audio clip will play over 10 seconds, but you'll only be halfway done rendering/recording. Once you're done, you take the frames and "squeeze" them in to the 10-second window. But in doing so, you're also squeezing that 10 seconds of audio down to a 5 second window.

The reason Nvidia does it is so that there's 0 chance of hitches or any sort of hiccups in the video, and so that companies like Nvidia can optimize for YouTube. By the time the video gets all the way from rendering to YouTube, you want as few compressions/re-renders as possible.

Edit: I'm not defending this practice, just explaining it.
Edit 2: Added more explanation for "why chipmunk voices"?

Whipped this up a bit earlier. I'll just leave it here:
sf1I2zH.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nvidia the company of 3.5GB, that abandons Maxwell users and uses shady practices so that games run worse on AMD? Yeah, they would never do anything like that.

Nvidia is the one sole pillar of integrity in the PC space, smh at this AMD fanboy drivel

My 280X weeps with thee

GavinUK86

Not sure if this is true, but if so,..

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...expected_30fps_capped_the_recommended/cshc58i

The NVIDIA videos are actually sped up and not truly running at 60fps? Man, this just goes deeper and deeper.

What about the rest of the video though? The other enemies sound normal. Can't just be that one scene.

I think people are just seeing shit where there isn't any now. We all know how fucked the PC port is. No need to try to find stuff that's also "broken" or something they "lied" to us about.

bee

oh man that video lol, nvidia in on it too, pretty much the most entertaining launch of any game i can remember, for the wrong reasons of course

Flavius

Well, for starters, every Nvidia promotional video is going to be adjusted. It's weird that people have ever trusted Nvidia to be showing raw gameplay footage. That's like assuming car commercials have 0 post-processing (spoilers: they do).

Most games in development have a build version where they're frame-locked, which means that the game will assume that n time has passed each time it's loading a frame (rather than looking at the actual system clock). If n=1/30th, then you end up with 30 frames that are meant to show 1 second of actual game time. If n=1/60th, then you end up with 60 frames that are meant to show 1 second of actual game time. Normally, when playing a game that hitches for 2 seconds, 2 seconds of "time" still pass in the game world.

In essence, you're rendering each frame individually, saving it, and then moving forward, regardless of how long it actually takes. (The primary reason for this is not promo videos, but so that you can more quickly debug visual issues by stepping through frame by frame). The problem is that audio doesn't follow this pattern. You can't take audio meant for 1/30th of a second and make it sound ok played over 1/60th of a second.

The reason Nvidia does it is so that there's 0 chance of hitches or any sort of hiccups in the video, and so that companies like Nvidia can optimize for YouTube. By the time the video gets all the way from rendering to YouTube, you want as few compressions/re-renders as possible.

Edit: I'm not defending this practice, just explaining it.

That was actually really freaking helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. :)

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
guys just a crazy thought, what if Iron Galaxy, WB, RockSteady captured it and SENT nVidia the gameplay footage to put up and advertise?

I bought a used PS4 copy from GameStop today, which I'll be returning once I beat it this weekend, so that nobody gets any additional money out of this fiasco. This is the first and only time I'm taking advantage of that policy.

The PS4 version runs and looks a lot better than it does on my 980ti. Those rain textures would be GODLY on PC. Goddamnit Rocksteady, why have you forsaken us!?

Maybe I'll replay it on the PC some day and try to 100% it or something.

It's a shame that this is happening in this day and age. However, I'm glad that gamers can be more vocal and actionable about it.

I bought the game few hours ago and realize I cant play it on my gtx680.

Im debating if I should just take the loss and buy it on ps4 or if I should order 980ti for it. How does it run at 1080p?

guys just a crazy thought, what if Iron Galaxy, WB, RockSteady captured it and SENT nVidia the gameplay footage to put up and advertise?

Makes more sense to me. I somehow doubt that nvidia has their own special build of Arkham Knight. The marketing guys at nvidia probably asked the devs for 60 fps footage and they said "uhhh sure".

AberLink

I bought the game few hours ago and realize I cant play it on my gtx680.

Im debating if I should just take the loss and buy it on ps4 or if I should order 980ti for it. How does it run at 1080p?

I'm absolutely loving the 980ti, so I can highly recommend that card (especially for other games). Getting a broken Batman game is somewhat of a bonus, I suppose, lol.

Honestly, it runs the same at 1080p compared to 2880 x 1620. Running it at DSR 2880 x 1620 at least removes the jaggies and I can turn anti-aliasing off. If you tweak a few things here and there, it's definitely playable. The batmobile parts are very rough, though. Also, the game is missing ambient occlusion and rain texture animations compared to the console versions.

It's up to you, depending on what you find to be the most important. I want to beat the story and experience the game before I start reading spoilers online. I'll keep the PC version as the "definitive edition" once they iron everything out. Then maybe I'll play it again to collect everything and get the DLC.

Can't go wrong with a 980ti though dude. Especially coming from a 680.

Lulubop

So I'm still have this issue, I don't think a patch is gonna save my ass.

Rjzb.png

If you're also experiencing this, let's talk about it. Maybe we can cope together, though I think I might be the only one.

demolitio

That's more likely. Not sure Nvidia would risk a lie like that when everyone in the world would notice the issues at launch, especially after the 970 fiasco.

I don't think they'd be that stupid unless they thought the GPU sales would negate any bad press they'd get with it.

The way I see it, there's plenty of blame to go around. WB, Rocksteady, IG, and possibly Nvidia, but definitely the first three.

I'm just pissed because this was the last game I was going to get before surgery and if they just mentioned the fact that it was being ported to another studio, I would've went with the PS4 version. Now I'm shit out of luck and time's running out. Now I'm sure they're banking on people being impatient and getting it on PS4 anyway. Time to treat it like another delay and hope they actually fix it.

WaltJay

I'm absolutely loving the 980ti, so I can highly recommend that card (especially for other games). Getting a broken Batman game is somewhat of a bonus, I suppose, lol.

Honestly, it runs the same at 1080p compared to 2880 x 1620. Running it at DSR 2880 x 1620 at least removes the jaggies and I can turn anti-aliasing off. If you tweak a few things here and there, it's definitely playable. The batmobile parts are very rough, though. Also, the game is missing ambient occlusion and rain texture animations compared to the console versions.

It's up to you, depending on what you find to be the most important. I want to beat the story and experience the game before I start reading spoilers online. I'll keep the PC version as the "definitive edition" once they iron everything out. Then maybe I'll play it again to collect everything and get the DLC.

Can't go wrong with a 980ti though dude. Especially coming from a 680.

Is the Xbox One version the same as the PS4 version with respect to AO and rain effects? I believe the XBO is 900p, but other than that, are there any other differences? I can't wait for Eurogamer's analysis and need some answers!

I do have a 980ti but I got the XBO CE edition on the cheap--I'm wondering if I should just play that version.

Is the Xbox One version the same as the PS4 version with respect to AO and rain effects? I believe the XBO is 900p, but other than that, are there any other differences? I can't wait for Eurogamer's analysis and need some answers!

I do have a 980ti but I got the XBO CE edition on the cheap--I'm wondering if I should just play that version.

Xbone has both AO and the rain effects.

Thats right, a 1.3 TF GPU is running graphic effects that our nearly 6 TF GPU is not

AberLink

The Xbox One version is 900p. From the analysis videos out there, it looks like the XBO version also has the AO and rain effects (I'm like 85% sure).

I keep going back and forth from the PC and PS4 version and deciding whether I want a higher resolution and sometimes 60fps of the PC version or a "smooth" 30fps, 1080p and the AO/rain effects of the PS4 version.

I've spent more time tinkering with this game than playing with it. The life of a PC gamer, I suppose :)

komorebi

So I'm still have this issue, I don't think a patch is gonna save my ass.

Rjzb.png

If you're also experiencing this, let's talk about it. Maybe we can cope together, though I think I might be the only one.

Dude I can't believe you haven't sorted this out yet. I remember you posting it since the first day! Good luck, I have nothing to offer. :(

Top Bottom