• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

I don't have a murder machine and I get ps4 level frame rate barring the hitches here and there.

Playing on a GTX 670 and haven't touched the INI files at all.

So it doesn't match the PS4 version considering the missing effects and considering the PS4 doesn't have the hitches. Gotcha.

I just benchmarked some driving the batmobile around gotham, powersliding to throw up smoke, smashing into stuff, and bottomed out at 37 fps. that's with all the Nvidia doodads turned on. averaged 91 fps.

But it's still missing key effects from the PS4 version. And you shouldn't need a six core i7 and two 980s to achieve such things.

you shouldn't need a gsync monitor to view the intro videos without stuttering or tearing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so bad for you guys who bought this port, it has to be one of the worst ever right? Dark Souls probably beats it though with its frame rate and resolution cap. Thank God for Stream refunds I guess. After reading that forum post it seems they think this is perfectly fine so I don't see things improving.

LordCrash

Neo Member
Arkham Knight has no chance to be GOTY this year anyway with Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 being released in the same year. And with this disaster it's finally done.

Tainted

The best thing for them to do would be to not say anything, or at least not retweet this checklist garbage.

On one hand they are probably being inundated by angry customers (and rightly so); so to stay silent would send out a poor message but on the other, they are still contracted by WB/RS so they have to have some kind of parity in how they work their way through these issues.

I would disqualify them. I doubt it though, Skyrim didn't get flak for it's PS3 port.

It seems somewhat unfair on Rocksteady, who I doubt are happy getting all the shit they're getting because the team handling the PC version dropped the ball so spectacularly.

Could Rocksteady have come out and washed their hands of the PC version ahead of time? I guess so. But I also guess that WB would have had something to say about that had they done it. Rocksteady made a fantastic game. Someone else botched the port spectacularly. Just the same, it would have been really harsh to ding the Orange Box because the PS3 version that Valve didn't port was garbage.

deadman69

Hmm. They did work on Arkham Origins which I had no issues with so I'm still hopeful they'll patch AK.

They've got a listing for an unannounced Epic Games title which I suppose may be Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC.

gears of war isn't an epic ip anymore, so i doubt it will be that game.

LordCrash

Neo Member
I feel so bad for you guys who bought this port, it has to be one of the worst ever right? Dark Souls probably beats it though with its frame rate and resolution cap. Thank God for Stream refunds I guess. After reading that forum post it seems they think this is perfectly fine so I don't see things improving.

It's still better than the GTA IV port which was plain awful and barely playable at all at release. But that doesn't excuse making such a poor port in the year 2015...

kinggroin

Banned
So it doesn't match the PS4 version considering the missing effects and considering the PS4 doesn't have the hitches. Gotcha.

I just benchmarked some driving the batmobile around gotham, powersliding to throw up smoke, smashing into stuff, and bottomed out at 37 fps. that's with all the Nvidia doodads turned on. averaged 91 fps.

But it's still missing key effects from the PS4 version. And you shouldn't need a six core i7 and two 980s to achieve such things.

you shouldn't need a gsync monitor to view the intro videos without stuttering or tearing.

I said frame rate, and yes the PlayStation 4 version has small hitches when driving the Batmobile (though not as harsh). It'll drop to the mid twenties occasionally. I have both versions I'm not talking out of my ass.

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is a good port for defending it by any means, I'm just saying weaker hardware is capable of running this game at the very least at the same performance level as the console version. Of course with proper care, my 670 would be running it better than the PS4 while looking better too.

Don't bite my head off here, geez

vg260

I felt bad for Iron Galaxy at first, but if they're just parroting the company line then they can go fuck themselves, along with WB and RS.

Oh man, now I know not to buy Killer Instinct 2.

Not sure what the issue is here with that tweet. If the publisher wants all the statements coming from one place that's all they can say, regardless of who's at fault. Typically for any PR damage control situations whoever is in charge wants all the info disseminated from one place and a single voice. The contractor typically is at the mercy of the publisher in terms on PR explanations. It's typically also very controlled and deliberate. There's really nothing he can can say here. In the same situation, you'd have to do the same. There's absolutely nothing to infer from this tweet.

Ziffles

On one hand they are probably being inundated by angry customers (and rightly so); so to stay silent would send out a poor message but on the other, they are still contracted by WB/RS so they have to have some kind of parity in how they work their way through these issues.

Yeah true, I guess they're damned if they do/don't really.

*sigh*

It seems somewhat unfair on Rocksteady, who I doubt are happy getting all the shit they're getting because the team handling the PC version dropped the ball so spectacularly.

Could Rocksteady have come out and washed their hands of the PC version ahead of time? I guess so. But I also guess that WB would have had something to say about that had they done it. Rocksteady made a fantastic game. Someone else botched the port spectacularly. Just the same, it would have been really harsh to ding the Orange Box because the PS3 version that Valve didn't port was garbage.

Not enough details at this point though. Could be IG only did steamworks integration like they did AC and AA. Could be they did some coding like AO did (and performance wise it turned out good). WB could have dropped this on their laps 2 months ago. We just don't know. I guess you have a valid point with orange box but I don't think ps3 version is as broken as this is.

d00d3n

I disagree. Dsfix-less PC Dark Souls was better than the console versions in a couple of ways, such as better performance in Blighttown. PC Batman AK performs worse and looks worse than the console versions.

I said frame rate, and yes the PlayStation 4 version has small hitches when driving the Batmobile (though not as harsh). It'll drop to the mid twenties occasionally. I have both versions I'm not talking out of my ass.

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is a good port for defending it by any means, I'm just saying weaker hardware is capable of running this game at the very least at the same performance level as the console version. Of course with proper care, my 670 would be running it better than the PS4 while looking better too.

Don't bite my head off here, geez

Your hardware should be running the game at least as well as the PS4 version. I presume you're not running with all the Nvidia enhancements, and if so you're unquestionably playing an inferior version of the game, at an inferior (by a small margin) performance level.

You shouldn't need a PC like mine to have something arguably on par with / better. That's all I'm saying. Yeah, running with less effects on more realistic hardware you can get close to the PS4 performance.

But that's embarrassing.

Dark Souls did not have performance issues anywhere near the likes of Arkham Knight. However, to be fair, Dark Souls wasn't nearly as graphically intensive.

The worst thing you can say about Dark Souls on PC is that it was a straight port. No extra bells or whistles, and 720p/30 just like the console version.

This game, on the other hand, is literally WORSE than the PS4 version.

RK9039

I just played the PS4 version, I'm really shocked at how amazing it is when compared with that thing we got on PC.

ed: don't worry I didn't buy it again, someone else did. Going to refund the PC version.

I can't believe people are going out and buying a second copy on console. You really are making things worse. Good job.

Just as planned
jMxwzdf.png

kinggroin

Banned
Your hardware should be running the game at least as well as the PS4 version. I presume you're not running with all the Nvidia enhancements, and if so you're unquestionably playing an inferior version of the game, at an inferior (by a small margin) performance level.

You shouldn't need a PC like mine to have something arguably on par with / better. That's all I'm saying. Yeah, running with less effects on more realistic hardware you can get close to the PS4 performance.

But that's embarrassing.

Never said otherwise.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To help alleviate this, AMD users using Rec Spec GPU’s should turn Texture Resolution, Shadow Quality, and Level of Detail to Low

What the actual fuck are you even doing

"HEY AMD USERS WITH RECOMMENDED SPEC GPUS, PLEASE USE LOW SETTINGS"

seph1roth

After the WB post on their forums and the tweets from IG...we can say goodbye to the possibility to see the game in good conditions in a near future?

Corpekata

Banned
Port is weird. All of a sudden I'm constantly above 3.5gb Vram and a 970 so I'm getting the dreaded memory swap hitch. Wasn't an issue for a few hours the other day. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, wants like 3.7 gigs now all the time.

Jedi2016

Man, the Digital Foundry face-off for PC and PS4 is brutal. I'm not sure if we're going to be able to get this game back at all considering how much is pared back and we're still getting such shit performance.

Tainted

Man, the Digital Foundry face-off for PC and PS4 is brutal. I'm not sure if we're going to be able to get this game back at all considering how much is pared back and we're still getting such shit performance.

I don't see a face-off between the PC and PS4 versions on their site ??

Tain

Dark Souls ain't missing assets, which puts it above this in my eyes even with the resolution cap.

ShadyJ

Just don't buy it, I get it you were looking forward to the game but I doubt there isn't anything else you can play.

Now is the time, send a message

Hatty

I'd say DMC 3 and Final Fantasy XIII-2 are just as bad

Corpekata

Banned
This port sucks but is nowhere near Devil May Cry 3 territory. DMC3 is so bad to this day you're better off emulating the PS2 version.

After the WB post on their forums and the tweets from IG...we can say goodbye to the possibility to see the game in good conditions in a near future?

I genuinely don't believe it will ever get fixed properly.

This was abandoned before it ever came out. 30 fps lock, missing graphical features, last minute changes to the spec requirements. They knew it was a shit show and didn't want to admit to it.

Here's what follows:

More non-apologies and borderline insulting PR, maybe a couple of patches (which will be inexplicably large downloads, either due to incompetence or to make it seem significant) that will disappoint most people. They will continue this cycle until the last of the DLC is trickled out. Then, the devs/pubs will go quiet about the pc version of the game and you will not hear about it again until they need to promote their next pc game, so they can "promise" they'll do it better this time.

seph1roth

I was making fun of the stupid statements made by WB and co, hope this shit will get sorted in a timely manner.

I have a bad felling about this, i think WB is going to abandon the PC version.

I don't know how WB studios work in videogames but the "fuck 'em" solution to PC gamers should be over the table.

Mostly because we don't know if they are going to fix this thing, i don't see any kind movement from them regarding this problems.

Miasma

Cant believe how poorly this runs on my PC (GTX 780 6 gig i7 2600K @ 4.5 ghz 8 gig ram)

Not much better on my laptop ( GTX 970 M i7 4710 HQ @ 3.5 ghz 16 gig ram)

I have been running The Witcher 3 most stuff cranked to max on my laptop solid 30

Really hope they sort this out i am about 8 hours in to AK but the stuttering is beginning to become unbearable.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Here's what follows:

More non-apologies and borderline insulting PR, maybe a couple of patches (which will be inexplicably large downloads, either due to incompetence or to make it seem significant) that will disappoint most people. They will continue this cycle until the last of the DLC is trickled out. Then, the devs/pubs will go quiet about the pc version of the game and you will not hear about it again until they need to promote their next pc game, so they can "promise" they'll do it better this time.

Add a 'we have stopped development on patches to focus on DLC'

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yes, it did. The game had some framerate drops but not Batmobile-level of drops.

Unity on PC had nasty bugs and I didn't even buy it until after patch 4 was out. The worst and most common for me was one where getting hit while traversing downward or falling would freeze me in mid-air while Arno flailed his arms like he was trying to swim through the air. I fell through the level an unacceptable number of times, too. Then the patch after that made my frame rate plummet. Thank god I'd finished both the main story and Dead Kings by then.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just curious as to why Rocksteady didn't do it themselves this time. I mean they know their own games and they did a damned decent job with AA and AC so why not do the PC version this time as well ?

Top Bottom