• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Only issue I have with adding AO through sweetfx/reshade is that you get blacklines that show through any cinematic that is pre-rendered, and whenever Batman is using the wrist mounted video it can show through, and break AO in the background while the video is going.

Usually ReShade AO also bleeds through smoke and fog, meaning that it is too pronounced and looks strange in such situations.

LAA

Thought I was pretty lucky avoiding problems...then now in the
movie studio place?
went onto the map zoomed into a riddler trophy icon and graphical madness occurred and it crashed my computer it seemed.
Really hoping there's a fix for fps and major stuff like this soon, then hopefully features after.

I noticed the game went from playable inconsistent frame rates leaning more towards 60 fps to unplayable in the teens framerate after the movie studio fights.

pahamrick

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but the latest Nvidia hotfix drivers fixed the instant crash I'd get on this one fight I was on.

IMACOMPUTA

Game runs really well for me with the "stutter fix".

But, I'm noticing in dark scenes that theres a faint checkerboard over my whole screen....

Is this a batman thing, or a "my 980ti is dying" thing?

viveks86

But, I'm noticing in dark scenes that theres a faint checkerboard over my whole screen....

Yikes. Play other games and you should be able to tell one way or the other.

pahamrick

Are you running Reshade to add AO? Because I got a similar effect when doing that over certain scenes.

yami4ct

So, after like 15 minutes this game eats all 8 GB of my RAM and dies. Anyone else have this issue? Pretty glad I've got the PS4 version coming at this point.

yami4ct

Haven't seen it go that far, but it gets close. Do you have a page file setup?

Yeah, but I have it trimmed down to save space on my SSD. Guess I should bump it up. Any game with a remote memory leak right now gives me the "running out of memory" warning. Games that run as poorly as AK apparently just die.

So, after like 15 minutes this game eats all 8 GB of my RAM and dies. Anyone else have this issue? Pretty glad I've got the PS4 version coming at this point.

You might need to increase your page file if you're running with one under 4GB.

EDIT: Didn't see the new page, yeah you need to increase it because this game loves that hot page file action. From what I've seen 4GB is the absolute minimum to not get "out of memory issues".

EDIT2: Oh no wonder I didn't see it, three minutes between posts.

senahorse

Hmm there has been a lot of activity on the steamdepot in the past hour.

Very interesting, here is the one of the latest updates:

Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-5_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto

Release candidate 4 I assume, maybe we will get a patch sooner rather than later.

edit: though the original date of the patch is from a week ago, maybe they are just rolling the fixes back into that one. Who knows what's going on, just good to know stuff is being worked on.

ktroopa

This shouldn't be surprising in any way. There is no point even making the comparisons between the products when we know that the PC versions is so broken that it isn't even on sale for the comparison to be relevant

yep expected so now the long wait for the fixed PC version.

should i change the BmEngine.ini and BMSystemsettings.ini to read only or doesnt it matter? i used the tweaks from the OP . Didnt test it yet.

Release candidate 4 I assume, maybe we will get a patch sooner rather than later.

edit: though the original date of the patch is from a week ago, maybe they are just rolling the fixes back into that one. Who knows what's going on, just good to know stuff is being worked on.

Actually it says Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-6US_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto now, I think it started at 4.3.

So yeah it's good to see they are actually working on it.

charsace

Forget graphics fixes, I need a patch that will allow me to play this game. After 15 minutes of play all 8 gigs of system ram and 3 gigs of VRAM gets eaten up and this thing crashes. You can see it coming because slow downs become more frequent. At this point I just wish I could play the damn thing for a 1 hour sitting.

Parsnip

Actually it says Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-6US_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto now, I think it started at 4.3.

So yeah it's good to see they are actually working on it.

Looking at that 06_20_2015 date, it seems like they cloned the RC4.2 and started updating that (instead of the public build that's identical to the RC4.3 build).

You can bet your ass all the missing graphical effects are in the game but disabled due to bad performance.
Eh, the bad performance and missing effects seems to point to an older unoptimized build more than anything else. This just reeks of something going wrong between rocksteady and IG in regard to builds and because WB wanted it out of the door with no delay we ended up with a mess of a PC version.

jett

D-Member
They should be more forthcoming with some fucking updates instead of keeping us in the dark. In the future I will definitely be boycotting the products of all three involved companies. Mad Max went from day one to day never. :| I guess the movie blu-ray will more than satisfy my needs.

Forget graphics fixes, I need a patch that will allow me to play this game. After 15 minutes of play all 8 gigs of system ram and 3 gigs of VRAM gets eaten up and this thing crashes. You can see it coming because slow downs become more frequent. At this point I just wish I could play the damn thing for a 1 hour sitting.

Yeah that's my problem as well. Game becomes unplayable. There's no fix for this, no matter what people post.

CUD

Banned
Eh, the bad performance and missing effects seems to point to an older unoptimized build more than anything else. This just reeks of something going wrong between rocksteady and IG in regard to builds and because WB wanted it out of the door with no delay we ended up with a mess of a PC version.
What about the sped up Nvidia gameplay? Not that you would necessarily know, it's just unclear what really happened with the PC version. You may be right but we can only really speculate.

Braag

They should be more forthcoming with some fucking updates instead of keeping us in the dark. In the future I will definitely be boycotting the products of all three involved companies. Mad Max went from day one to day never. :| I guess the movie blu-ray will more than satisfy my needs.

Yeah I was really looking forward to the Mad Max game but seeing as it's WB I'll definitely wait for a sale or something before I pick it up. I don't want to face another mess like this.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
i can play the game at 4K at a locked 30, i unlock the FR on the ini and lock it on NV inspector and set a frame limit to 30 on RTSS, only thing off is the smoke, everything else on the highest, or should i say normal lol, not a single problem, incredibly smooth but i refuse to play the game at 30, i rather wait for a patch

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
it is posted quite a few pages back, feel free to look it up, i know i saw it here but since i really don't care about that i didn't put any effort on reading the explanation, the game is an incredibly bad port, a fake or not fake video in not gonna help me at all, i got no more room for disappointment for this game and i was so incredibly looking forward to it :(

Parsnip

By the way, there's a better way to remove the intro videos than deleting the actual video files (that will be redownloaded every time there's a patch). Just add -nologo in the launch options to your game in the Steam library.

Zakalwe

Banned
Locking to 30 with rivatuner and setting Vsync to adaptive half refresh in nvidia cp makes this game much smoother than I'd hoped at this Framerate.

Never tried this before. Pretty happy with the results and I'm usually a stickler for 60 on PC.

roytheone

Just tried the AR challenge where you have do destroy a number of armored cars before the timer expires, and hot damn, that was a slideshow from beginning to end, even worse than when I am just driving through the city, it was completely unplayable.

jorimt

Hmm, I just did a direct comparison with a PS4 screen I grabbed from the recently released Digital Foundry Face-Off, with some interesting results.

First, the PS4 version vs. The maxed out PC version w/in-game AA:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132727

Comparing the PS4 FXAA with the PC FXAA, the PC version's still looks like what happens when you set something like the subpixel radius too high in a SweetFX FXAA file. But devoid that, they look incredibly similar.

Second, the PS4 version vs. the maxed out PC version with SweetFX SMAA:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132728

Comparing the PS4 FXAA with the PC SweetFX SMAA show that even the PS4's FXAA solution is diminishing light output, but for some strange reason, even with the in-game AA off, the PC version still doesn't match the light output of the PS4 (note the blue lights on the clock tower spires). This would also explain the weaker bokeh effect, seeing as the bokeh strength is entirely dependent on what is displayed behind it. Less light output equals weaker bokeh effect.

Add that, with the absence of AO and the extra rain pass, and it's almost as if (for whatever reason) Iron Galaxy started work from an earlier or different build of the game. I say this, because I watched a direct feed of the original 2014 E3 Demo (http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_batman_arkham_knight_e3_batmobile_battle_mode_gameplay-32291_en.html) and it doesn't seem to have AO or the extra rain texture as far as I can tell. That, and refreshingly (in the age of "downgrades"), devoid a few asset changes and the 2014 version's extra spotlights in the distance, even the PC build looks superior. Comparison below...

E3 2014 Demo vs. Maxed out PC version w/SweetFX SMAA:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132733

Ah well, it's all probably useless speculation at this point anyway. Hope the first patch comes soon.

Proc

Guys it's the weekend and I really want to play my copy of batman. It's installing to my ssd as we speak. I might bite the bullet and play before the patch.

Zakalwe

Banned
We were told to throw the copies in the trash at work. Lol hope they fix it soon.

Keep the keys! Make a contest in Gaf or something!

I worked for GAME and my manager had us bin things all the time instead of giving them out to the staff as rewards or incentive or just, you know, to not be wasteful. Really gets my goat.

Top Bottom