• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

iNvid02

Trashing the game discs doesn't mean they are burning the game to the ground. It just means WB is actually aware that some people might install whatever version is on the disc, and never get an updated version of the game.

but its not like this is an offline experience, you have to authenticate with steam to play, after which it will download the latest updates. taking the retail discs off the shelves until that updated version is available through steam would have been enough.

if they're saying trash the discs then its obvious its going to require a lot of time and hefty updates to the base game, or like pahamrick said the discs were messed up already with that 8GB installation error.

terrible either way.

FyreWulff

but its not like this is an offline experience, you have to authenticate with steam to play, after which it will download the latest updates. taking the retail discs off the shelves until that updated version is available through steam would have been enough.

if they're saying trash the discs then its obvious its going to require a lot of time and hefty updates to the base game, or like pahamrick said the discs were messed up already with that 8GB installation error.

terrible either way.

I think it's more likely the discs are being destroyed to balance the inventory/books and cover things under insurance.

What's interesting, is that you're getting the mud decals on the Batmobile. As of yet, I haven't seen them in my PC playthrough (my mobile remains pristine at all times, no matter what), or on any other PC capture so far.

I have no idea what's causing that issue though, looks like a corrupt shader file or an overclock stability issue.

I have mud on my batmobile too.

Kahoona

What's interesting, is that you're getting the mud decals on the Batmobile. As of yet, I haven't seen them in my PC playthrough (my mobile remains pristine at all times, no matter what), or on any other PC capture so far.

I have no idea what's causing that issue though, looks like a corrupt shader file or an overclock stability issue.

I don't overclock any of my hardware so I doubt it'd be that.

That's odd that you don't see the mud textures. Do you see the wet cape that everyone seems to not see? I see that also.

Regginator

Dude they will heavily discount the entire game. Whether you got a refund or not won't matter. The bad press has not only got people to refund but also to not buy the game in the first place. For people that kept the game expect a few free skins.

There's no way they're going to "heavily discount" the base game. It was $50 at launch which is already 10 bucks less than the "normal" $60 price tag the PC gaming has been using for several years now. I can't see them dropping the price to $30, no way.

The very, very best thing we as owners can hope for is what Ubisoft did for AC: Unity. Give the additional content that was supposed to be for the season pass to all CURRENT owners (as in before they removed it from Steam) of the base game and give the season pass holders a recent game for free.

I'd settle with 50% off the season pass, considering it ended up running well (besides the dreadful first three hours) on my modest PC.

It's standard in most industries that when merchandise is written off under insurance or a vendor buyback, it's field destroyed.

source:

worked with a video game retailer at the corporate level directly

What would insurance have to do with anything?

It's just rather than deal with the product being returned, the retailer gets its wholesale value of the inventory as a credit in exchange for promise of destruction in field. Insurance has nothing to do with anything.

And you only ask for destruction in field because you can't tell a retailer they have to sit on this unproductive inventory for an indeterminate period of time and you don't want new customers to buy the product before it's been fixed.

Even if the game is fixed in a week or two this would be the plan.

roytheone

If they are changing so much that they would throw away all the physical discs, don't expect them to patch the current version at all.

Great if they do, but I expect a big change coming rather than just some small patches.

If they go the road of one huge update instead of a couple of smaller ones, they need to make that very clear. Tell us what you are doing, what your priorities are, don't keep us in the dark, if the patch takes a while to come out, give us regular updates instead of radio silence.

jorimt

I don't overclock any of my hardware so I doubt it'd be that.

That's odd that you don't see the mud textures. Do you see the wet cape that everyone seems to not see? I see that also.

Well, I'm very early in the story (waiting for updates to continue), and I've driven around most of the starting area, and again, zero mud. Who knows, the mud decals may be tied to the story, like the damage on Batman's suit. However, I'm not sure how that can be, since I've seen PS4 gameplay taking place right at the beginning with the mud decals clearly visible on the Batmobile.

As for the "wet cape," yes, I have a wet texture on the cape, but there are actually two. The one that isn't missing on the PC are the large static water streaks visible on the cape under certain lightning conditions. However, the one that is missing from the PC versions is the extra layer of rain that visibly gathers and cascades down Batman's cape/suit on top of the first effect. Said water effect is also missing on the Batmobile, and since I'm not getting the mud either, I was surprised to see it in your screens (glitched or no).

FyreWulff

What would insurance have to do with anything?

It's just rather than deal with the product being returned, the retailer gets its wholesale value of the inventory as a credit in exchange for promise of destruction in field. Insurance has nothing to do with anything.

Vendors can sometimes have insurance policies to cover difficulties with a launch, which can cover anything from defective disks to a truck being hijacked and stolen containing goods.. You can literally buy insurance for anything.

In this case, it'd be cheaper for the vendor to have verified field destroy than pay to have the actual item in question be shipped back to them.

JordanKZ

First patch notes

Top: Planned
Bottom: Actually fixed

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

- Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
- Fix for low resolution texture bug
- Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
- Add more options to the graphics settings menu
- Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
- Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop
- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
- NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
- Enabling AMD Crossfire
- NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

- Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
- Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
- Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...C-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/581700#U581700

Exuro

terrible either way.
Not necessarily. They could be planning on rebranding the pc version as some new edition which would require new boxes to separate it from the current version.

I guess it's a start, but until they fix the hitching and random framerate drops it's still pretty unplayable (or, at the very least, not very enjoyable to play in its current state).

At least the rain effects and ambient occlusion are back.

Fracas

#fuckonami
OK so now it's basically the ps4 version but at (stuttery) 60fps.

I'll take it. Not a bad start, hopefully the rest gets in soon.

yatesl

For all the complaints I have about this game, it 'works' more times than it doesn't - 30fps and missing effects aside.

I've put 15 hours in to it so far. I must hate myself, and my brain won't know what to do if/when Rocksteady fix it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

- Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
- Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
- Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

----------------------------------------------
Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

- Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
- Fix for low resolution texture bug
- Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
- Add more options to the graphics settings menu
- Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
- Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop
- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
- NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
- Enabling AMD Crossfire
- NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

pahamrick

I just tested the game off a standard HDD instead of an SSD (I moved my install off the SSD to put Witcher 3 back on it.) and with the texture tweaks it still runs pretty smooth.

The AO makes everything look better, Batman's suit in the opening scene looks a lot more defined now.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh man, did not expect this so quickly.

Downloading now, pretty excited to see how it improves things.

EDIT: read that wrong, though the bottom part was part of the patch. ;_;

Still, good to see they're on it.

cyen

Rain effects and AO are in improving IQ alot! But i will wait for the performance patch, for me it´s still unplayable in this state nevertheless im apreciating the quick effort from rocksteady.

yatesl

Are the rain effects the droplets hitting the floor? I saw on the PS4 version you can see the drops run down Batman's mask, but I couldn't see it on my PC version - although I've never noticed the rain hitting the pavement before.

They fixed dick for me. What do I give a shit about some rainy textures when the game becomes unplayable after 10 minutes of playing it.

Pretty much where I'm at. I sort-of appreciate the effort, but it's useless when the game is still an unplayable, jittery mess.

d00d3n

What is the performance hit now that rain surfaces and AO are active? Anyone who has noticed decreased performance?

Any comparison screenshots? Performance was acceptable for me at a locked 30 4K so if it's on par with the PS4 version now I'll get back to playing it.

Top Bottom