• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

krewx078

Neo Member
Just got my card from EVGA step up and figured I would chime in with my experience so far. I played for about an hour or two and all things considered it ran as "perfect" as could at 30 fps. I didn't bother unlocking to 60 because I have heard that it makes matters worse oftentimes. A couple of things I took from it was that it ate up almost 5.9gb of my vram at some points and this was at 1080p. Didn't try any higher because I was expecting a horrendous experience and figured I'd start at 1080p and see what happens. I've had no crashes up to this point and no stuttering even when in the batmobile. It's been as "smooth" as can be at 30 fps (far from ideal btw although completely locked there). That said, no way I can continue playing at that frame rate comfortably so i'll wait till that gets ironed out.

My specs:
i7 4790k
16gb ram
installed on 850 evo ssd
EVGA 980 ti @1420 (boost)

Zakalwe

Banned
What is the performance hit now that rain surfaces and AO are active? Anyone who has noticed decreased performance?

Seeing a definite performance increase actually.

Locked at 30, and before I was dropping to 26fps while in the BM, now the lowest I go is 29.

Was starting to get a little worried. The news is great to hear. I won't be playing it until the performance issues are addressed but for the people with monster rigs and loads of ram, this is at least going to make the game that bit more enjoyable!

Lime

Wow things run much better now. And there's actual rain on obejcts now! That's some quick and fast fixing by Rocksteady, Nvidia. Good on them!

Too bad jimpoint2o's Cheat Engine table no longer works :(

They obviously fixed the things that required less work first. Fixing stuttering and texture loading problems are way harder than making a couple of effects work as they should since they were already in the game, just glitched. Probably not much code that had to be changed there.

I think it's a pretty good first patch, and I like what they are saying that they are going to fix. If you thought that they could fix this mess in a few days, or within a week, you're delusional.

d00d3n

None at all really. It felt the same on a 670. I wont bother with my 970.
Seeing a definite performance increase actually.

Locked at 30, and before I was dropping to 26fps while in the BM, now the lowest I go is 29.

Ahhh, that is nice. Looking forward to testing for myself in a couple of days. Hopefully even more progress have been made at that point. Good job focusing on making the game Titan X ready, Rocksteady! (fixing the effects)

Bricky

Tried the new patch for a bit with the framerate uncapped (GTX 970) and the game installed on a SSD. Initial impressions are that the game feels smoother, especially when using the Batmobile (way less framedrops). Hope that isn't just placebo effect. At least IQ has definitely improved, AO is a godsend.

I'll play more tommorow and see if performance remains stable as it seems that the game is now in a playable state for me. Framerate hitches and texture pop-in remain, but I'm glad to see they have a patch roadmap and plan to fix pretty much every big issue.

cyba89

I think it's a pretty good first patch, and I like what they are saying that they are going to fix. If you thought that they could fix this mess in a few days, or within a week, you're delusional.

Yeah, I don't know what some here are expecting.
A functional game for their money sure, but improving performance and such is not a matter of just flipping a switch and it works.

I'm not playing the game until they hit the majority of the bullet points on that list but I'm glad they made that list public. I think everything on that list covers the issues and now there is something to directly hold them to.

Whats weird though, is that there have been people with no issues when using a standard HDD though.

Case in point:

Huh this is kind of crazy. I wonder why this is? I get pretty decent performance with my SSD but I'd like to do a comparison from this scene at some point.

Could it be related to RAM speed? FWIW I have only 1333mhz RAM (8 GB of it).

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the textures on Batman's default Arkham Knight skin? Ever since I swapped skins, I can't get the "worn" skin to show - it's just pristine by default. Wondering if i caused it somehow messing with the .ini files. At this point though, I'm still using an unmodified BmEngine.ini, with only things changed in the System Settings ini.

LAA

Awesome first patch. Happy rain effects are on batman (they're on batmobile but seem very pixelated to me) and doesn't appear on other cars too if they were supposed.
Havent noticed fps increase yet I'll check more on that tomorrow. Hope the rendering bug in gaming laptops include that weird coloured triangles I encounter sometimes on the map or on the HUD after a while.

Zakalwe

Banned
Rain shader is definitely there for me. On Bats and on Batmobile + on all other surfaces that I checked out.

Weird. Standing on the BM now and there's nothing.

Disabled motion blur is the only tweak I've done aside from limiting to 30 in RT and enabling adaptive in nvidia CP.

Kazdane

Haven't launched the game yet until the patch was released. Graphically looks cool and, when not stuttering, it seems to hover around 50-60 fps on an R9 290 with 8GB DDR3 and no SSD.

In any case, the hitching and stuttering is atrocious once you start moving around (even with the fixes mentioned in the updated OP) so it's definitely not playable.

It's running much better for me now, and AO makes it look like a brand new game.

208650_2015-06-27_000rbp6c.png

208650_2015-06-27_000qnpo6.png

208650_2015-06-27_000ldo96.png

208650_2015-06-27_000xopqm.png

dex3108

Weird. Standing on the BM now and there's nothing.

Disabled motion blur is the only tweak I've done aside from limiting to 30 in RT and enabling adaptive in nvidia CP.

I would record video if I wasn't on mobile now. But rain now slides from surfaces for sure.

AlterOdin

Yeah, look like AO back, along with the rain effects (very subtle rain-effects, almost to subtle? ie on the car?).

Haven't checked the framerate yet.

Pavaloo

Oh man! I'm so stoked - this was already running pretty optimal on my PC so the only thing I needed was AO and the rain texture.

Glad they were able to address some issues quickly, but sucks that there are still so many people who can't enjoy the game :/

ktroopa

100% confirmed i just being playing and didnt notice the patch lol!

rain effects are in and so is AO, looks awesome!

performance is also improved. this is more like it!

Well guys, they addressed my ONLY two issues!

AO and Rain FX textures!

I'm running at 4k so was targeting 30fps anyway. Haven't had the stuttering issue either and as long as Gameworks is enabled.. I'm golden!

ktroopa

ok so it looks like from that patch notes that this game is gona get fixed and added graphics options up the wazoo, cant fucking wait :) well done WB and RockSteady

AlterOdin

Checked the frame-rate also, more or less the same. ie 45-ish fps when gliding over the city, and can go over 100 fps someplace, really all-over the place. Maybe a slight improvement (could get it down to 30 fps pre-patch, maybe placebo).

Would expect the driving to take a hit also, as it did pre-patch. (ie driving = gliding over the city; fps-wise)

This was on 1920x1200 on a 980TI.

But a very nice start/first-patch.

Spaghetti

tempted to start playing, but maybe i should wait for another couple patches.

it seems like WB and rocksteady are going to do right by this version in time. i'll see how things are later next month.

Top Bottom