• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

viveks86

Taking a closer look at your screenshot seems like you're missing some effects like DoF, you game seems "cleaner", do you have everything maxed out? I do, I have the game locked at 30 FPS also, haven't tweaked or changed a thing.

I switched motion blur off in the INI. It seems to dramatically reduce DoF too. Lots of weirdness going on. I'm just going to set everything back to default. If anyone can share the default BmEngine and BmSystemSettings files, I'll be grateful

jorimt

I switched motion blur off in the INI. It seems to dramatically reduce DoF too. Lots of weirdness going on. I'm just going to set everything back to default. If anyone can share the default BmEngine and BmSystemSettings files, I'll be grateful

If you have the Steam version, you could delete those two files and verify the cache.

AJLma

Does it rain progressively harder throughout the game?

I'm playing on PC and it's constantly been pouring down in my game for what seems like the last 3 hours of play.

viveks86

Right at the start as soon as you get the batmobile.

Sure here it is.

Thanks man. No idea if this was a coincidence, but resetting the INIs did the trick

New before/after:

c15aeata.gif

c16ldl6b.gif

Rain effect looks great on batmobile now
batmanak2015-06-2720-kcleo.png

Evo X

Looks and runs great for me now.

Running it maxed out at 3413x1920 with FXAA in the control panel. Tried 4K, but it was too intensive. One thing to note is that Afterburner recorded a new peak VRAM usage of almost 7.7GB!

They really gotta optimize that.

So I deleted the bmengine.ini so that it would redownload it upon verification, and it seems they HAVE made some adjustments to the texture streaming values. So yeah, if you've made some adjustments to BmEngine or any other ini's, deleting and redownloading them might be a good idea.

Looks and runs great for me now.

Running it maxed out at 3413x1920 with FXAA in the control panel. Tried 4K, but it was too intensive. One thing to note is that Afterburner recorded a new peak VRAM usage of almost 7.7GB!

They really gotta optimize that.

I hit 7.7 as well. Only once, tho. Subsequent play sessions were generally 6 - 6.5.

Edit: 4k res

Caleb187

Anyone figure out how to use the 360 controller or DS4Windows wirelessly with this yet? It's only working when I'm plugged in.

Try making sure the controller is in exclusive mode rather than shared mode. My controller wouldn't work wirelessly with AK if it was shared, but worked fine in exclusive.

If I get this with my 980 Ti Classified, I'm not sure if I want to run this just to see how bad this rabbit hole goes with the shitty performance.

jorimt

Rain effect looks great on batmobile now

Wha? I delete the entire config file in the install folder and re verified, and I'm still getting your "before" rain intensity in that scene, and everywhere else.

I have the game maxed out but for the two GPU Nvidia effects (Somke/Debris), no ini tweaks. I'm at a loss.

viveks86

I have no idea why but my game looks way cleaner than most shots that others are sharing. Is it because I'm running at 4k?

c19dpawz.gif

Even my DoF & film grain aren't as strong as others, even though it's clearly still there

batmanak2015-06-2720-ixljv.png

jorimt

I have no idea why but my game looks way cleaner than most shots that others are sharing. Is it because I'm running at 4k? Even my DoF film grain aren't as strong as others, even though it's clearly still there

The density of those effects usually change the higher the resolution. They're usually intended for a 1080p target resolution, and don't often scale 1:1. That's probably why. Your screens also look darker; I assume you have the brightness down a couple of ticks in the options?

viveks86

Wha? I delete the entire config file in the install folder and re verified, and I'm still getting your "before" rain intensity in that scene, and everywhere else.

I have the game maxed out but for the two GPU Nvidia effects (Somke/Debris), no ini tweaks. I'm at a loss.

I have both those effects on (though it shouldn't make a difference). Hmmm

Buburibon

The AO and rain effects make the game look completely different. There's so much rain now, it's pouring! In fact, if I disable in-game AA the amount of perceivable rain and intensity of lights/reflections becomes too much for my tastes.

I agree they need to do something about VRAM usage. It's using at least 7GB at 1620p, which is crazy for a game meant for mass consumption.

viveks86

The density of those effects usually change the higher the resolution. They're usually intended for a 1080p target resolution, and don't often scale 1:1. That's probably why. Your screens also look darker; I assume you have the brightness down a couple of ticks in the options?

The brightness is probably because of sweetfx, which I'm using for minor gamma adjustments and smaa.

jorimt

The brightness is probably because of sweetfx, which I'm using for minor gamma adjustments and smaa.

Ah, that would explain it.

I still don't know why I'm not getting the full rain cascade on the Batmobile. If you could upload an image of batman standing next to the Batmobile under a streetlight, I could use that to compare to mine. Would be helpful (but not obligatory ;).

I can confirm that the raindrop density is not tied to the resolution. I saw no difference between 1080p and 4k when I tested just now.

Not sure why viveks has more droplets, but I would love to know. (For posterity I tried the default ini and modified ini and there was no change)

viveks86

Ah, that would explain it.

I still don't know why I'm not getting the full rain cascade on the Batmobile. If you could upload an image of batman standing next to the Batmobile under a streetlight, I could use that to compare to mine. Would be helpful (but not obligatory ;).

Hope this helps

batmanak2015-06-2721-7oslh.png

I can confirm that the raindrop density is not tied to the resolution. I saw no difference between 1080p and 4k when I tested just now.

Not sure why viveks has more droplets, but I would love to know. (For posterity I tried the default ini and modified ini and there was no change)

I'm going to guess that rain drop density is probably randomized. I'm more curious about the massive difference in DoF and filmgrain. Details in the distance stand out so much more for me. Can you take a 4K downsampled shot of the batmobile cutscene comparison I'd done above.

I have no idea why but my game looks way cleaner than most shots that others are sharing. Is it because I'm running at 4k?

c19dpawz.gif

Even my DoF & film grain aren't as strong as others, even though it's clearly still there

batmanak2015-06-2720-ixljv.png

Certain effects are likely linked to base resolution. The effects might be designed to be at a certain percentage of the rendering resolution and thus the effects render in higher resolution and the effect appears cleaner. Kinda like how it was with DSFix.

I'm playing at 4K as well, and it's the same as yours.

I'm not really knowledgeable in this area though so if someone else could clarify that would be cool.

viveks86

Certain effects are likely linked to base resolution. The effects might be designed to be at a certain percentage of the rendering resolution and thus the effects render in higher resolution and the effect appears cleaner. Kinda like how it was with DSFix.

I'm playing at 4K as well, and it's the same as yours.

I'm not really knowledgeable in this area though so if someone else could clarify that would be cool.

Cool. I guess DoF blur and film grain are tied to resolution after all

Head.spawn

The top of my screen says "PHYSX > CPU" permanently now when I'm playing this game. From main menu, to actual gameplay, it just stays there. Whats the deal with that?

It's not going away. I've tried changing PhysX settings to GPU, CPU, back to AUTO... de nada

edit: figured it out.

Head.spawn

Wait, so if I downloaded this on Steam day one, will the patch autodownload or do I need to re-download the whole game?

Load up steam and as long as your settings are set to automatic, it should autodownload the patch.

Right-Click on your game, click on "Properties". Go to the "Updates" tab. Click on the Automatic updates dropdown and select "Always keep this up to date".

jorimt

Hope this helps

Thanks viveks86, it did.

Here's a comparison of your first shot during the Batmobile cutscene vs my latest capture (it seems something I verified fixed it):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132800

And another comparison with the image you just posted:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132801

Devoid the resolution, they look pretty close. I'm not sure why it wasn't loading for us, and what causes it, but let's hope these effects (and however they're loaded) become more stable with a future patch. At the moment it's downright paranoia-inducing; ironically it's been raining all day where I live, and I couldn't care less how "real-life" looks ;p

Yea Im def not getting rain in my game. Also I can no longer see the reflection in the mirror on the floor at the Orphanage. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yea Im def not getting rain in my game. Also I can no longer see the reflection in the mirror on the floor at the Orphanage. Has this happened to anyone else?

I can tell you that since I was just there post patch, that I saw the reflection clear as day. But then I'm getting lovely rain too.

OK so booted up Batman AK to if there was any visible changes after first update patch, and I have to say its looking sweet so far, the rain drop effects on batman's cape is finally visible and I have to say batman's armour in this game looks super sweet.

Side note the combat in this game is really additive in a good way, and satisfying to boot. Cant wait for rest of updates, this game might have had rocky start but here's hoping few patches will bring it up to scratch.

viveks86

Looks like the streaming issue went away when I changed MaxFPS to 31 along with half refresh rate vsync. Flew around for quite a bit and never saw any problems. Streaming simply doesn't work well for higher FPS it seems. At this point, I have no issues at 4K other than having to run at 30 fps. Think I'm going to resume playing as it actually feels really smooth for 30. Hopefully they fix SLI and texture streaming so that I can eventually take this up to 4K60.

Looks like the streaming issue went away when I changed MaxFPS to 31 along with half refresh rate vsync. Flew around for quite a bit and never saw any problems. Streaming simply doesn't work well for higher FPS it seems. At this point, I have no issues at 4K other than having to run at 30 fps. Think I'm going to resume playing as it actually feels really smooth for 30. Hopefully they fix SLI and texture streaming so that I can eventually take this up to 4K60.

Out of curiosity, why 31 and not 30?

Zakalwe

Banned

What's your system, V?

viveks86

Out of curiosity, why 31 and not 30?

The game often drops a frame or two when stuff loads, regardless of what framerate it's running at. When I lock at 30, it drops to 28 or 29 occasionally and causes stuttering/tearing. When I lock at 31, it seems to drop to 30 every now and then. With 1/2 refresh vsync, it stays locked at 30. It's smooth as butter now. I have some headroom at 4K, so I've increased FoV to 100 as well. Looks awesome!

batmanak2015-06-2723-koshn.png

batmanak2015-06-2723-b0atd.png

What's your system, V?

Titan X SLI, 5930K CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 1 TB SSD

viveks86

*weeps*

How to do this?

I read it before but I lost the link...

Quoting from Jim2point0's blog entry

Find this file and open it:
\BMGame\Config\BmInput.ini

For me, that location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\Config\BmInput.ini

You want to add your custom bindings below BmGame.RPlayerInput:

[BmGame.RPlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="set Engine.WorldInfo bPlayersOnly true")
Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="set Engine.WorldInfo bPlayersOnly false")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="ToggleHUD")
Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="FOV 100")

There was 1 more step required for me to use these custom bindings. I had to copy ALL bindings from [Engine.PlayerInput] and paste them below [BmGame.RPlayerInput]

F6 will freeze the game and F7 will resume.
F8 is your HUD toggle.
F9 will force a custom FOV

Top Bottom