• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

It's so weird that people are saying they don't see any issues with this game then also say that they're playing it at 30fps on a high end PC and still getting some stuttering from time to time. If you have such a high end PC and can only run this at 30fps and still have stuttering then there's an issue whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

4770k and gtx980 for 30 fps? You should be getting much more performance, even maxed out.

Of course the performance is an issue, but being able to play the game is a step forward. Of course I'd prefer 60 or 120fps, but 30 is playable as there is no better option at the moment. It's the same reason I don't refuse to play The Last of Us (PS3), Bloodborne, etc : there is no better option.

As it stands, after the current update I can play the best version of the game, better than the PS4 version as im not experiencing any stuttering.

I'm not happy about playing at 30fps, but I can say that this is the 'smoothest' 30fps I've ever felt on my pc. It's very... consistent. If it was like how most pc games normally feel when locked to that framerate, there's no way in hell I would be playing right now.

With the 30fps cap there's definitely enough headroom to run at 4K on my 970, but I feel like some of the effects at 4K are wonky. Specifically the DOF, it looks strange at higher resolutions.

Do we have a consensus on the Gameworks settings? I can enable all of them without tanking the fps (except of course in the batmobile when FPS tanks no matter what), but I'm not sure they are worth it, and frankly not even sure what some of them do. The smoke is noticeable, but enhanced rain? It just looks lighter or something...?

The game is like 90% on the way to being superior to the PS4 version after this initial patch. Just a more consistent framerate and it would then be the version of choice. With NvCP half-refresh vsync, triple buffering and max pre-rendered frames at 1, its a smooth 30 akin to the PS4 version. Just gotta fix those batmobile dips and stuttering when gliding/driving.

For now I'm keeping it at 1080p, resolutions above that don't seem right for now.

Peterthumpa

With the 30fps cap there's definitely enough headroom to run at 4K on my 970, but I feel like some of the effects at 4K are wonky. Specifically the DOF, it looks strange at higher resolutions.

Do we have a consensus on the Gameworks settings? I can enable all of them without tanking the fps (except of course in the batmobile when FPS tanks no matter what), but I'm not sure they are worth it, and frankly not even sure what some of them do. The smoke is noticeable, but enhanced rain? It just looks lighter or something...?

The game is like 90% on the way to being superior to the PS4 version after this initial patch. Just a more consistent framerate and it would then be the version of choice. With NvCP half-refresh vsync, triple buffering and max pre-rendered frames at 1, its a smooth 30 akin to the PS4 version. Just gotta fix those batmobile dips and stuttering when gliding/driving.

For now I'm keeping it at 1080p, resolutions above that don't seem right for now.
You sure it keeps a steady 30 at 4k with a 970 even with GameWorks enabled? How long have you played?

Hopefully the next update does fix the memory issues so system memory doesn't hit the page file so hard along with GPU memory and optimizes the GameWorks stuff, specifically the smoke/fog along with just better GPU usage overall. I've seen the smoke/fog take my GPU from ~40% utilization up to 95% while in the Batmobile and maybe I'm crazy but that just seems nuts.

Don't know what's wrong with this game, i'm about 15 hours in and i had 0 crash, 0 texure problems, frame rate is solid at 30fps with just a few dips and stutter when i'm on the batmobile with smoke particles everywhere, but nothing unplayable or so worse than other games i've seen. I'm playing it installed on SSD with GTX 980 and i7 4770k at1440p(downsampled in a 1080p TV) with everything maxed out and gameworks on.
I don't think this is the crap everybody is describing

"I haven't had any problems therefore everyone else must be wrong"

Tecnniqe

Banned
So I hear people say this game got the Denovu or whatever it's called DRM like few other games had and it's said this thing kills SSD's and cause performance issues, but I've not seen proof of this, but could this thing potentially cause the bad performance and texture loading?

noomi

Glad about the fixes, but I'm probably going to wait until patch #2 or something from nvidia before playing this.

epmode

So I hear people say this game got the Denovu or whatever it's called DRM like few other games had and it's said this thing kills SSD's and cause performance issues, but I've not seen proof of this, but could this thing potentially cause the bad performance and texture loading?

It's possible. It's hard to tell though. As far as I know, the more modern versions of Denuvo were never disabled. Even the cracked versions of Denuvo games just fool the program into thinking you have a legit copy. Denuvo continues to run in the background so no one's ever played the games without it.

edit: While Denuvo may be affecting things, the port was clearly rushed out the door. There's no chance that removing it will magically fix the remaining problems.

diaspora

Performance seems to be... improved with AMD's 15.6 drivers. I didn't bother uncapping the framerate but it at least isn't stuttering.

holygeesus

Banned
You sure it keeps a steady 30 at 4k with a 970 even with GameWorks enabled? How long have you played?

My massively overclocked 970 can't cope with 4K. No way, no how. 1440p is the sweet-spot for me. Anything higher and 30fps isn't achievable on my set-up (3570k/16GB/SSD)

Don't know what's wrong with this game, i'm about 15 hours in and i had 0 crash, 0 texure problems, frame rate is solid at 30fps with just a few dips and stutter when i'm on the batmobile with smoke particles everywhere, but nothing unplayable or so worse than other games i've seen. I'm playing it installed on SSD with GTX 980 and i7 4770k at1440p(downsampled in a 1080p TV) with everything maxed out and gameworks on.
I don't think this is the crap everybody is describing

Yeah, WB pulled it from Steam just for shits and giggles. It's clearly not broken at all.

holygeesus

Banned
Do you have all Gameworks options enabled?

Everything maxed, all GameWorks on, VSync enabled in-game, no AA, 1440p. ini files are default.

Nvidia driver has AF at 16x and 'prefer maximum performance' but apart from that default settings.

My 970 is clocked way beyond 980 speeds, which helps a lot. There's no chance of 4K though, so no idea how anyone with a 970 is running at such a resolution.

diaspora

I think with the first patch and new drivers, I can say that this game doesn't feel like a pre-alpha early access title. Maybe as a beta though.

pahamrick

Everything maxed, all GameWorks on, VSync enabled in-game, no AA, 1440p. ini files are default.

Nvidia driver has AF at 16x and 'prefer maximum performance' but apart from that default settings.

My 970 is clocked way beyond 980 speeds, which helps a lot. There's no chance of 4K though, so no idea how anyone with a 970 is running at such a resolution.

I only ask because Gameworks Fog & Debris hard crashes the game for me. At first I thought it was my OC, but even at stock 970 speeds (without the factory OC) causes the crash. Every other game works fine for hours and hour (even AK without those two options enabled) at my main OC (1500Core/3800Mem)

Can't figure out the cause.

holygeesus

Banned
I only ask because Gameworks Fog & Debris hard crashes the game for me. At first I thought it was my OC, but even at stock 970 speeds (without the factory OC) causes the crash. Every other game works fine for hours and hour (even AK without those two options enabled) at my main OC (1500Core/3800Mem)

I've had one CTD in 11 hours of game time so far. My card is only reaching 63c max though, as I've put a custom cooler on it - have you measured your temps?

Edit - I just benchmarked at 4K, for shits and giggles, and results were:

Minimum 16
Average 24

Cinematic maybe, but unplayable, for me.

robotrock

Banned

I'm on a stock 970, and I'm pretty sure the gameworks fog stuff crashes the game for me too. I played through the whole thing with everything turned up except for the fog and debris, but after I finished the game, I decided to turn them on and do donuts in the Batmobile, and the game nearly always crashes. The fog effect stops working too.

scitek

I just can't keep it from stuttering like crazy as soon as I move to a new area. I have a single GTX 970, and am playing at 1440p with Gameworks rain effects and lightshafts on (locked to 30fps, I should mention). Maybe I'm just hitting a VRAM wall?

pahamrick

Did you do any ini changes, or any changes to the game files?
Yeah, I changed the texture streaming settings but otherwise left the FPS lock alone.

I've had one CTD in 11 hours of game time so far. My card is only reaching 63c max though, as I've put a custom cooler on it - have you measured your temps?

Edit - I just benchmarked at 4K, for shits and giggles, and results were:

Minimum 16
Average 24

Cinematic maybe, but unplayable, for me.

My temps never go higher than 73 with the stock cooler (Using a EVGA SSC) with my OC, but I have custom fan curves set too.. This OC was 100% stable on Witcher 3, and a long long run of Unigine Valley (12+ hours, as I recall.)

I'm on a stock 970, and I'm pretty sure the gameworks fog stuff crashes the game for me too. I played through the whole thing with everything turned up except for the fog and debris, but after I finished the game, I decided to turn them on and do donuts in the Batmobile, and the game nearly always crashes. The fog effect stops working too.

At least I know I'm not an isolated case, it's just really odd.

just lost 11 hours of gameplay because I am now perpetually falling through the world and the checkpoint loads with me under the map

fantastic game.

Pjsprojects

Ok so looking at the page file limit mentioned by some other peeps on here I left mine for Windows to manage.
Some quick test results below look pretty high to me.

Mon1.png

mon2.png

i havent been able to get informed about this port.

The issues are GPU vendor related or in general? What are the worst offenders and what's the reason it turned out like this? Because the console versions seem to work withouth any significant issues.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's possible. It's hard to tell though. As far as I know, the more modern versions of Denuvo were never disabled. Even the cracked versions of Denuvo games just fool the program into thinking you have a legit copy. Denuvo continues to run in the background so no one's ever played the games without it.

edit: While Denuvo may be affecting things, the port was clearly rushed out the door. There's no chance that removing it will magically fix the remaining problems.

Maybe not, but it could be one of the issues with texture loading if the DRM thing is causing massive writing to the HDD

So yeaaaah... I haven't been paying attention to my memory clock speed up until a bit ago, it's 250Mhz under the base clock at 1502 instead of the 1752 it should've been.

I also forgot to turn off the shitty AA again because it looks terrible and I don't really notice any aliasing anyway with it off so that went back off when I started playing again a couple hours ago. Haven't had the smoke/fog gimmick cause any issues besides the frame drops when it gets too hectic but again it being the thing that increases my GPU utilization from the 30-40% range into the mid-90s when active on my 970 SSC as I've said probably a dozen times at this point. So it's off again and I don't care for the effect because it looks too out of place anyway. Besides that, GPU utilization is flat out poor with this game, 60FPS without the smoke/fog shouldn't be very difficult but I'm going to hold off until the patch instead of changing it in the INI file.

Ok so looking at the page file limit mentioned by some other peeps on here I left mine for Windows to manage.
Some quick test results below look pretty high to me.

http://u.cubeupload.com/Pjsprojects/Mon1.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/Pjsprojects/mon2.png

Yeah, it is. There's definitely a memory leak and/or garbage collection issue and there might be one on the GPU side too. I currently have mine set to a max of 6144MB, before I started the game it was at its minimum of 200MB but afterwards it peaked at just over 4GB this last time. Curious what memory utilization look like when I increase my RAM to 16GB next week.

~~Hasan~~

how will the update work ? I just turned on steam since 2 days ago and I didn't get any update on the game. will it update by it self later on ? or there is some place I need to check and download from ?

it was the free nvidia copy so I haven't lost anything but time

but it's really frustrating

hypothetically if this was a steam purchase, I would assume a refund would be allowed due to the situation around the game, plus I'm unable to play the game in any capacity

Psykoboy2

So with the memory leak this game has, I can get a few hours of play in before my computer wants to close it because of the memory it's using (I have 16 gigs, more than enough). When that happens, can I just close the game and reopen it and get in some more hours, or do I need to do a system restart to get going again?

scitek

They probably should. If you got more than 2 hours into the game it's not "unplayable".

Well, I have more than 2 hours on my profile, and I've made way less than 2 hours of progress into the game. It's all from fucking with the ini files and relaunching to try to get a stable framerate.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how will the update work ? I just turned on steam since 2 days ago and I didn't get any update on the game. will it update by it self later on ? or there is some place I need to check and download from ?

The patch will be applied automatically once WB pushes thorough one of the beta branch updates to the public branch. Steam checks for updates every 5 minutes.

Nibiru

Banned
They probably should. If you got more than 2 hours into the game it's not "unplayable".

This is so not true. I'm sure you could easily spend 2 hours troubleshooting OR you could not encounter crashes initially but did later. Many have stated that the game became worse the longer they played it or the further into the game they got.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's true. What a mess.

The two primary conditions aren't set in stone precisely because of situations like this. The refund FAQ states in no uncertain terms that, for lack of a better term, "late" refunds will still be considered, and even if your purchase falls outside of the six-month list, you can submit a ticket. Valve has been relatively generous even in the latter regard as the refund system didn't exist at the time.

That all being said, Arkham Knight is the first "AAA" game (excuse the scare quotes, but I can't help but think of battery sizes) released since the system went live, so there's no doubt in my mind that WB has felt a pinch.

Top Bottom